Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Lblitzer posted:

That seems like a heck of a lot for a 3GS.

That wasn't a 3GS. It was an iPhone 4.

I lost my 3GS a few weeks ago. :(

Oh well this retina screen is pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

That wasn't a 3GS. It was an iPhone 4.

I lost my 3GS a few weeks ago. :(

Oh well this retina screen is pretty sweet.

Ah I misunderstood your post. The retina display is one of the few reasons why I wish T-Mobile had better iphone support.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Howdy folks,

Don't know why I didn't think to check in here any sooner, but I work for Tucows/Ting and personally worked on the project! If you have any questions about us, or issues with our service, let me know and I'll answer your questions as best I can! (if I can't, I'll ask around to find an answer, put you in touch with customer service, and/or escalate your issue right to the developers)

And no, you can't bring your own device onto Ting. We really, really wish we could offer that, and would do something about it if we could. :(

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Lblitzer posted:

Ah I misunderstood your post. The retina display is one of the few reasons why I wish T-Mobile had better iphone support.

Yea it sucks everyone has to do a giant work around for T-Mobile. Porting my number and following the steps to get data to work on StraightTalk was way easier than all the steps I went through trying to get an iPhone to work on T-Mobile.

Got data going this afternoon and it's faster than anything I've used before, but I come from a history of cheap phone plans. My cellular history is Sprint->Virgin Mobile->T-Mobile->StraightTalk.

The only thing that doesn't work is visual voice mail, but everyone texts me when they want me to call so whatever.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The $30 monthly 4g t-mobile plan has 5 gigs of data at 4g speeds, Does that mean that they're going to throttle you down to some awful, vaguely 3g speed after 5 gigs of data or do they just cut off your 4g access? The Nexus S doesn't even have a 4g radio in it, so if it's the later I'm not concerned and I get to use even more sweet, sweet faster-than-dsl 3g internet :smith:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The throttle brings you down to EDGE speeds, which is roughly dialup speeds. Enough to sync google voice texts and that's about it. This goes for all Tmobile plans. It's a soft cap, not true unlimited but seriously 5gb is very generous when you consider the cost for that same amount of data on other carriers and their overage charges.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

LiquidRain posted:

And no, you can't bring your own device onto Ting. We really, really wish we could offer that, and would do something about it if we could. :(
Could you tell us why you can't offer byod? I really like your plan, but I can't switch unless my fiance can have an iphone.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

adorai posted:

Could you tell us why you can't offer byod? I really like your plan, but I can't switch unless my fiance can have an iphone.
I'm not allowed to tell you why, actually, just that we'd kill to do it. It's not a limitation of our own doing. (wink wink)

You might find some interesting replies in our own thread on the matter - both for being able to bring your own device, and for those who've read between the lines.

I have no news re: an iPhone, but other Sprint network folks (Boost and Virgin I think) have started offering it. Should be a matter of time before we get it, hopefully sooner rather than later. We're pretty far down the pecking order for those kinds of things, as you might imagine. :) I'll poke for an update about it but I imagine the answer is "we can't wait either." Wouldn't be surprised if we get shafted on the price for it, either! (for the record: we still sell our devices at or below cost. thank god we dropped the $600 Photon, I have no idea how large the subsidies are at other MVNOs to make up for costs like that)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Slopehead posted:

The throttle brings you down to EDGE speeds, which is roughly dialup speeds. Enough to sync google voice texts and that's about it. This goes for all Tmobile plans. It's a soft cap, not true unlimited but seriously 5gb is very generous when you consider the cost for that same amount of data on other carriers and their overage charges.

Overage charges? I'm not familiar with such a thing (:smug: <--- Sprint customer.)

Just don't talk to us about things like signal quality or speeds. All the GB you could want at a blazing 50 kb/s!

Beefboxmcgreat
May 19, 2004
My girlfriend has the Straight Talk AT&T plan with a GNEX. She hasn't been able to connect to apps, check her email, download pictures from texts, etc lately. She can make calls just fine and send regular texts. I'm in a different city from her and I've tried asking her about it on the phone but we're both kinda tech retarded. This just started happening in the past week. Any ideas what is going on?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Beefboxmcgreat posted:

My girlfriend has the Straight Talk AT&T plan with a GNEX. She hasn't been able to connect to apps, check her email, download pictures from texts, etc lately. She can make calls just fine and send regular texts. I'm in a different city from her and I've tried asking her about it on the phone but we're both kinda tech retarded. This just started happening in the past week. Any ideas what is going on?

Check the access point name configuration first. StraightTalk has some special APN settings they tell you to configure in your phone so data and mms works right.

To do it on the gnex... go to settings > wireless & networks > more > mobile networks > access point names

I'm not entirely sure of the correct settings, but I know the come with the SIM and are probably available from their website.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, sounds like an APN issue. Here's the section on their website (click on phone programming):
http://www.straighttalksim.com/support.php

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

According to the Howard Forums rumormongers, Virgin Mobile USA will be selling the HTC One V by the end of the month for $199.99.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Rastor posted:

According to the Howard Forums rumormongers, Virgin Mobile USA will be selling the HTC One V by the end of the month for $199.99.

I could do one at that price... if firmware modders jump on board. I'd settle for stock ICS with all the extra VM crap removed. A 3.7" screen is also more my idea of an ideal size. All these phones over 4" are stupid huge.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mixitwithblop posted:

I could do one at that price... if firmware modders jump on board. I'd settle for stock ICS with all the extra VM crap removed. A 3.7" screen is also more my idea of an ideal size. All these phones over 4" are stupid huge.

VM's crap is actually not very intrusive, usually... but I did read that HTC's crap will be on there.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So I see there's a free android app called Tapatalk that does the same thing as GrooveIP. I'm giving it a test drive right now but so far I can't tell if the latency is better/worse/same as Groove. Are there any more of these GV-integrated-VoiP apps that I missed?

hokiehokiehokiehigh
Aug 3, 2007
tech tech vpi
Speaking of VoIP, I just got a phone running WP7, and i was wondering if there are any VoIP apps for it? I'm pretty sure there aren't but i could be wrong (hopefully)

Also, is there a cheaper unlimited talk option for less than 45/mo? My mom only needs voice minutes, no texting or data. She likes to talk a lot though. She probably uses something like 2000 minutes a month since we don't have a landline. Would it be better to just go with the t-mobile 1500min 30/mo plan and get a landline?

hokiehokiehokiehigh fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 19, 2012

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I know this was covered somewhere but I can't find it.

Is the 30mb data on the $30/mo T-mo plan a hard cap or do they charge overages? Can it be used with a smartphone or is that basic phone data only?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I think it is a hard cap, but it does work with a smartphone, I should know because one time I paid the $30 for the Walmart plan and it didn't automatically renew, so I manually renewed it using the "My Account" app, and accidentally chose the wrong $30 plan.

It really loving blows though and I spent 4 hours on tech support to get them to restore the Walmart plan since it was apparently "first time customers only" and they weren't understanding that I switched by mistake. I found out when I streamed music for 10 minutes and suddenly realized I was lost in Boston yet there was no data left for Google Maps to function.

Edit: Just do the Walmart 30 with GrooveIP or Tapatalk for free minutes if you're running over 100. Or pay overages for the minutes past 100. I don't know what your scheme is but I assure you running out of minutes is never as horrible as running out of data.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 19, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AFAIK none of the prepaid carriers charge data overages. They tend to either be unlimited (Sprint 4G), throttle after a cap is reached (most, including T-Mobile), or in rare cases (Straight Talk), cut you off if they don't like your data hogging ways.

The exception would be one of the plans where you pay-per-use, but that's still not exactly the same as an overage charge.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Just do the Walmart 30 with GrooveIP or Tapatalk for free minutes if you're running over 100. Or pay overages for the minutes past 100. I don't know what your scheme is but I assure you running out of minutes is never as horrible as running out of data.

Thanks. I'm looking at the plan for my Dad who has never had a smartphone but doesn't want to pay for data. He wants a smartphone for the big touch screens, and not for data or anything. I explained to him if he got this plan, he could get a nice smartphone with a good screen he just wouldn't be able to do much with the data plan. He says he'd be fine on wifi, but I imagine once he starts using a smartphone he'll be hooked on it, so maybe Straighttalk would be better for him.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Just put my Mother-in-law on Straight Talk for her first smartphone, so far so good.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I think I've found my answer on some other forum, but I really don't trust anybody but Goons.

If I get an unlocked GNex and go on T-Mobile's monthly plan, and then over the winter am forced to cut payments to my phone, will my phone still be able to access wireless internet at-will and function fully as a PDA?

Or will T-Mobile's SIM card turn authoritarian on me and lock down connectivity?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

An unlocked Galaxy Nexus will operate as a Wifi device, regardless of SIM presence or configuration.

Note that this is NOT necessarily true of carrier-branded phones.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
What on earth kind of android stops functioning without carrier data service? I've never heard of such a thing. Hell, I buy bad-ESN Optimus phones just to hand out to friends as $30 wifi tablets / security cameras / VoiP lines.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I seem to recall seeing that with some of the early T-Mobile Android phones, they wouldn't operate until a SIM was inserted.

I admit I haven't seen it recently.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Hey guys, I want to double-check some information here if that's okay.

I'm about to buy a used Nexus S, and I want to use it with the $30/mo unlimited data plan from T-mobile. I'm looking at the prepaid plans here and there's some small print about the one I was going to get, which says

quote:

*First 5GB at up to 4G speeds. New activations only. Available exclusively in-store at Walmart, on Walmart.com, and T-Mobile.com.

Does that mean that I have to buy my activation kit from Walmart or online to be eligible for this plan, or does that mean that this plan is only available for the prepaid phones that you can get at Walmart or on the t-mo site?

I'm guessing it's the former, but I want to make sure before I drop $200 on a new phone.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
You're only eligible for T-Mobile's $30/mo plan if you sign up for it online (at T-Mobile.com) or if you buy a new phone from Walmart and activate it through them. Walmart requires you to activate one of their pre-paid phones, but T-Mobile does not.

Ignore Wal-mart completely -- buy a SIM card straight from T-Mobile.com, then stick it in your Nexus S and activate it online. That's what I did with my Galaxy Nexus (thanks to this thread!) and I was ready to go in about 10 minutes. :)

It's really simple and it's a great plan.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Glenn posted:

You're only eligible for T-Mobile's $30/mo plan if you sign up for it online (at T-Mobile.com) or if you buy a new phone from Walmart and activate it through them. Walmart requires you to activate one of their pre-paid phones, but T-Mobile does not.

Ignore Wal-mart completely -- buy a SIM card straight from T-Mobile.com, then stick it in your Nexus S and activate it online. That's what I did with my Galaxy Nexus (thanks to this thread!) and I was ready to go in about 10 minutes. :)

Real happy so far. It's a great plan.
Fantastic, thank you for the info! :)

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Can we expect Google to lower the price on the unlocked Nexus with the launch of the SGS3? I'd really prefer the SGS3 but don't know if I want to drop >$600 for it off-contract. And the value of the Nexus will go down once the SGS3 releases.

Also, can anyone who has ported their number to Google Voice give me an idea of how long of a service outage/disruption I should expect for the porting process to complete?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 21, 2012

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Rastor posted:

I seem to recall seeing that with some of the early T-Mobile Android phones, they wouldn't operate until a SIM was inserted.

I admit I haven't seen it recently.

With the mytouch 3g you couldn't get past the android activation screen without a valid sim that had data access. Once you were registered with Google it was your phone again.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Can we expect Google to lower the price on the unlocked Nexus with the launch of the SGS3? I'd really prefer the SGS3 but don't know if I want to drop >$600 for it off-contract. And the value of the Nexus will go down once the SGS3 releases.
I don't think anybody here knows, but the fact that the SGS3 is so expensive off-contract doesn't put much pressure on Google to lower their already comparatively low price...

quote:

Also, can anyone who has ported their number to Google Voice give me an idea of how long of a service outage/disruption I should expect for the porting process to complete?
It's like any other number port. Most people have it happen in less than 2 hours. Some people have it happen within 24 hours. And a tiny fraction have lingering issues for days. It depends on a gazillion factors so it's impossible to make a guarantee.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'd really prefer the SGS3

Just to vent, I've followed every SGS3 rumor for months; it was supposed to have a 1080p resolution, 12mp camera, ceramic case, and quad core in the US. Instead it has more or less the same stats as Gnex but more ram, with a bunch of Siri apps that the apks are floating around for, and Touchwiz. It's a waste of time for them and all of us if you ask me.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Just to vent, I've followed every SGS3 rumor for months; it was supposed to have a 1080p resolution, 12mp camera, ceramic case, and quad core in the US. Instead it has more or less the same stats as Gnex but more ram, with a bunch of Siri apps that the apks are floating around for, and Touchwiz. It's a waste of time for them and all of us if you ask me.

You know, I bet if I had just picked up the GNex and then stopped following mobile news everyday I'd have been perfectly happy. But I'm so concerned with future proofing my phone that I was afraid the GNex would putter out on me after a year.

Case in point, I'm still rocking an HTC Desire on US cellular. When I got this phone back in the summer of 2010, it was the coolest drat thing I'd ever owned. Fast forward to today, and despite it being the same exact phone, I find it to be a sluggish piece of crap. Nothing changed except my expectations, I guess? If I throw down $400 for the GNex, I don't want to be disappointed a year later like I was with my Desire.

And I'm still reluctant to get the $30 T-Mo plan because of the semi-reliability of VOIP. I can't make up my mind between prepaid or T-Mo/Sprint postpaid. I use between 1000-1200 minutes a month, the majority of which is while I'm at home so voip shouldn't be a problem there, I just worry that if I go with that plan I'm relying on TMo's 4g coverage for calls.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 21, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Zero VGS posted:

The SGS3 in the US ships with a Krait CPU, which has much more CPU oomph than what's in the GNex. The rest of the phone isn't a huge upgrade, but the CPU is genuinely a new generation and much better on every front. I'm waiting for my idea of an excellent Krait phone to come along that I can toss Cyanogen on to. (an HTC One X with the softbuttons modded to do non-retarded things would be nice)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 21, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

And I'm still reluctant to get the $30 T-Mo plan because of the semi-reliability of VOIP. I can't make up my mind between prepaid or T-Mo/Sprint postpaid. I use between 1000-1200 minutes a month, the majority of which is while I'm at home so voip shouldn't be a problem there, I just worry that if I go with that plan I'm relying on TMo's 4g coverage for calls.

I changed from GrooveIP to the free market app Talkatone which does the same thing, and it's been rock solid for me (so far) as long as I have a couple bars.

Also I've been worried about future-proofing too, so much that I kept buying and returning T-989's for months on end until they sent out a call to all the local Targets telling them not to sell any more phones to "that one guy who keeps buying SGSII off-contract". Then I did the same thing with Best Buy. Then in between returns my brother gave me a hand-me-down Vibrant that I put CM9 on, and it's not all that bad at all.

I do think as an IT professional that I'm going to talk my company into buying me a T-Mobile Note when they come out though, because the pixel-accurate stylus would be amazing for when I remote into Windows desktops for administration.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
It's great to know you're the reason why return policies loving suck now in most places. That's just unhealthy.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Welp, I'm needing to get a new cell phone. I'm with AT&T right now, and have tired with contracts. I also don't use voice much nor text a lot (though I do text more than talk). Lastly, I don't care particularly much about data plan poo poo. I have a good desktop for a reason, and I'm not coordinated enough to gently caress around with internet on a phone for very long.

I'd considered getting some old dumb phone, but texting is really quite slow with the old 10-key, so I've been looking around and found this Pantech Crossover thingamajig. Seems to be pretty well received, and at a decent price to boot. I figure if I really want to, I could hit up a wireless spot for data. The $25/mo plan looks pretty swell to me - 250min calls for a month ought to cover me with unlimited texts, and AT&T has pretty awesome coverage in Oklahoma (also, Verizon has broad swaths of 'roaming prepaid' in areas I sometimes go to).

Any thoughts on this phone/brand and/or plan? Pantech doesn't seem to be one of the big names, so I'm slightly skeptical.

vvv--Thanks. My budget is also a bit limited too, so I'm trying to work with it as best I can.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 23, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think there are a few goons with Pantechs, I haven't heard them complain too much (as long as you understand you're not talking about a high-end device).

Personally I wouldn't recommend getting stuck on 2.2 Froyo, especially now that Ice Cream Sandwich is available on low-end phones such as the HTC One V and Sony Xperia U. But then again personally I wouldn't get an Android phone without a data plan either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Evil_Greven posted:

Welp, I'm needing to get a new cell phone. I'm with AT&T right now, and have tired with contracts. I also don't use voice much nor text a lot (though I do text more than talk). Lastly, I don't care particularly much about data plan poo poo. I have a good desktop for a reason, and I'm not coordinated enough to gently caress around with internet on a phone for very long.

I'd considered getting some old dumb phone, but texting is really quite slow with the old 10-key, so I've been looking around and found this Pantech Crossover thingamajig. Seems to be pretty well received, and at a decent price to boot. I figure if I really want to, I could hit up a wireless spot for data. The $25/mo plan looks pretty swell to me - 250min calls for a month ought to cover me with unlimited texts, and AT&T has pretty awesome coverage in Oklahoma (also, Verizon has broad swaths of 'roaming prepaid' in areas I sometimes go to).

Any thoughts on this phone/brand and/or plan? Pantech doesn't seem to be one of the big names, so I'm slightly skeptical.

I would get whatever Verizon phone I can afford and go Page Plus. 250 minutes cost you $10.

• Locked thread