Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just ordered 6lbs of coffee from Sweet Maria's. Picked up a 4lb sampler and a 1lb of their Monkey Blend Espresso and a 1lb of Kona that I'm going to roast for my step-dad for father's day. Really curious to see what comes in the sampler. Hopefully I get a few new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Has anyone used the Presso Espresso Machine? Would my $150 be better spent elsewhere?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Edit: after reading more of the thread, I'm getting an aeropress + mini mill grinder as I start the transition from instant coffee. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Velius fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 12, 2012

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Two things:

Got a Breville BDB a few weeks back and I'm loving it. Consistant shots, quick warm-up, thoughtful design. Only gripe so far is I wish that the portafilter would retain heat better. That won't matter as much eventually as I plan to get a naked portafilter. Also worried about long-term durability, but so far so good. Worth consideration if you're looking to spend around $1,000.

Secondly, if anyone in the Portland, OR area (or elsewhere, I suppose, though I'd rather not ship) is looking to get into espresso, I'm selling my Gaggia Classic. It's a great machine that's 2.5 years old, and it has been faithfully cleaned, backflushed, and descaled. Willing to let it go for cheap cheap cheap. Let me know if you're interested!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a large difference in terms of flavor when comparing a French press and a Moka Pot?

I'm also a bit confused on the terminology when it comes to coffee. I go to my local coffee shop and grab coffee all the time (http://www.philzcoffee.com/). I've been drinking a lot of their dark roasts (they use pour over style to make the coffee). Recently, I've been branching off into trying espressos. I've enjoyed the intense flavor but I don't drink it everyday.

Now, if I purchase either a French press or a Moka pot, I'm not drinking espressos am I? I'm drinking just regular coffee as if it were a pour over? Why I'm asking is because I've noticed that the Moka Pot seems to make very small amounts for a single person, very similar to an espresso?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

Is there a large difference in terms of flavor when comparing a French press and a Moka Pot?

I'm also a bit confused on the terminology when it comes to coffee. I go to my local coffee shop and grab coffee all the time (http://www.philzcoffee.com/). I've been drinking a lot of their dark roasts (they use pour over style to make the coffee). Recently, I've been branching off into trying espressos. I've enjoyed the intense flavor but I don't drink it everyday.

Now, if I purchase either a French press or a Moka pot, I'm not drinking espressos am I? I'm drinking just regular coffee as if it were a pour over? Why I'm asking is because I've noticed that the Moka Pot seems to make very small amounts for a single person, very similar to an espresso?

Moka pots make quote-unquote "espresso", but it isn't true espresso because the pressures reached inside the pot don't get to the level you'd find in an espresso machine. It is very strong coffee though, just less strong than actual espresso. I'd say somewhere around 2-3 1oz "cups" of Moka Pot coffee would be about the same as a medium cup of regular drip coffee to me. For me this meant a 6-cup Moka Pot emptied into a thermos lasted me the whole day.

I've also heard some people like to just mix Moka coffee with hot water for a faux-Americano, if you want something not as strong in higher quantities. Sorry can't comment on french press since i've never used one.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 13, 2012

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

obi_ant posted:

Philz is pretty unique when it comes to coffee, and I would hesitate to compare it to anything. I have only tried a few things there, but the coffee-like drink I had last time when I asked for "whatever they recommend" was a cup of sludge, cream, and sugar.

Since you're in the Bay Area there's no lack of good coffee that can stand on its own without being dark roasted and dressed up with cream and sugar, all of which covers up the taste of the coffee. Depending on where you are, you can probably find somebody pulling shots of de la paz, verve, ritual, or any number of good, locally roasted. I'd recommend trying a cappuccino or macchiato as a compromise between an overly milky drink (latte) or the intense experience of just espresso.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

Moka pots make quote-unquote "espresso", but it isn't true espresso because the pressures reached inside the pot don't get to the level you'd find in an espresso machine. It is very strong coffee though, just less strong than actual espresso. I'd say somewhere around 2-3 1oz "cups" of Moka Pot coffee would be about the same as a medium cup of regular drip coffee to me. For me this meant a 6-cup Moka Pot emptied into a thermos lasted me the whole day.

I've also heard some people like to just mix Moka coffee with hot water for a faux-Americano, if you want something not as strong in higher quantities. Sorry can't comment on french press since i've never used one.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, it would be 1oz of Moka Pot coffee would be equal to 2oz of regular drip coffee? Because I typically just get a regular 14oz and I'm good to go. I guess drinking 28oz of "regular" coffee wouldn't be too bad, which I guess in your case and my case would be just one pot of Moka.

marmot25 posted:

Since you're in the Bay Area there's no lack of good coffee that can stand on its own without being dark roasted and dressed up with cream and sugar, all of which covers up the taste of the coffee. Depending on where you are, you can probably find somebody pulling shots of de la paz, verve, ritual, or any number of good, locally roasted. I'd recommend trying a cappuccino or macchiato as a compromise between an overly milky drink (latte) or the intense experience of just espresso.

I typically drink my coffee just black. I get their strongest roast, Ether and it's pretty spot on for me. Are you in the Bay Area? Would there be a local shop you can suggest?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
French press, in theory, uses the exact opposite brewing technique (ignoring cold brewing) that espresso does. Espresso uses constant pressure, a superfine grind and a short brew time. French press uses zero pressure (not even gravity), a coarser grind and a long brew time. They are very different types of coffee. People tend to compare it to Espresso though because it has a "stronger" taste than drip brewed coffee. This is because it is a much oilier and fuller coffee and has the most caffeine out of the hot brewing methods. Espresso actually has the least caffeine (per serving) of the hot brewing methods.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

obi_ant posted:

Are you in the Bay Area? Would there be a local shop you can suggest?

I'm in the east bay and usually get my beans or order espresso drinks from Bica, near Rockridge bart. They feature a rotating lineup of whatever they chose to be the best coffees around (with a preference toward beans that are roasted somewhere nearby, although that has extended to Intelligentsia (LA, also Chicago) and Stumptown (Portland).

If you're in the city it's almost impossible not to find good coffee. Four Barrel, Blue Bottle, and Ritual are the first that come to mind, although there are also hundreds of good cafes that feature some of the many good roasters around such as Verve (Santa Cruz), Temple (Sacramento), Flying Goat Coffee (Healdsburg). If you're looking for good drip coffee, look for places that will brew by the cup and feature lighter/medium roasted coffee. Darker roasted coffees tends to taste fairly similar, as the majority of the more delicate aromatics/flavors that are derived from the terroir/processing of the green beans are broken down and the overpowering roasted flavor takes over.

Unrelated, but this weekend I was in Portland and got to taste two different cold brews on tap at Stumptown. They were running their normal one along with a special single origin (the specifics of which escape me) that was lighter and very floral. It was halfway in between a tea and a coffee. Definitely worth trying if you're in the area.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You won't get any indie cred for it, but if you are in the bay area you can never go wrong with Peet's.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Peet's is drinkable. But, there are generally better choices. Especially here in the Bay Area.

do you feel me
Jan 5, 2012
Has anyone tried to stop drinking coffee for long periods of time? How bad are the withdrawal symptoms?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

do you feel me posted:

Has anyone tried to stop drinking coffee for long periods of time? How bad are the withdrawal symptoms?

Not very bad. You can always wean yourself off with a progressively larger ratio of decaf if you're scared. That said, if you drink seven cups of coffee a day, you might not want to just quit cold turkey.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Head ache and it hosed up my bowels for a while.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

do you feel me posted:

Depends heavily on your habit. When I'm super busy and drinking a lot of coffee, I can't even think in the morning until I have my first cup. Crazy headaches, etc. I'm down to a cup in the morning and a cup in the afternoon these days, and I usually just feel a little groggy and hazy in the mornings when I don't have coffee, sometimes a mild headache, but not that bad.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

do you feel me posted:

None for me, probably because I only drink a single 10 oz serving a day.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
I received a Chemex for my birthday, and I am wondering if there is any particular coffee that really shines when brewed in one. I received a bag of Intelligentsia Persephone & Alchemy blend as well, and it is delicious. I am used to using a french press which extracted more bitter flavors. What do you suggest I brew in my Chemex, or does it not matter?

lags
Jan 3, 2004

The answer is yes. (Just brew your favourite coffee - it will taste different (arguably/subjectively better) in your Chemex.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

For a few glorious minutes I had directions to order the best coffee maker I could find for the office and was in the process of sourcing a Technivorm then I found out the office manager had already ordered something else and not told us. :smith:

I'm going to try to get us a quality grinder at least and better coffee then Peets. (Jones if I can swing it).

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Aquila posted:

I'm going to try to get us a quality grinder at least and better coffee then Peets. (Jones if I can swing it).

We live in Iowa, and my dad is under the impression that Peet's is the greatest coffee in the world. He orders Major Dickison Blend in bulk, but I want to get him something new for Father's Day. Would you suggest something from Jones?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Sweet Maria's has Yirga Cheffe again! :toot:

I don't know how long they've had it, but they didn't have any the last time I ordered.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

We live in Iowa, and my dad is under the impression that Peet's is the greatest coffee in the world. He orders Major Dickison Blend in bulk, but I want to get him something new for Father's Day. Would you suggest something from Jones?

Yes! I'm local to Jones so somewhat biased, but I think their Pasadena, Madison, and Chuck Roast blends are great. My other favorite roaster is http://www.keancoffee.com/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ok so I want to buy the clever coffee dripper, but I'd rather pay 17 bucks for it on amazon with free shipping, then pay 15 on sweet marias + 9 dollars shipping. The only thing is finding paper filters for it. Someone here recommended filtropa filters but the aren't on amazon with free shipping. Any other filters people recommend here?

edit: I found some rockline filters...thoughts? There's also the unbleached filtropas that are 3 bucks/100 plus 3 dollars shipping on amazon, so that might be another route.

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 15, 2012

Shapiro
Jun 27, 2005

a jealous female can be tricked into anything
So I've been keeping an eye on the Baratza refurb section, hoping to snag a Maestro.

http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=RFRB

There's a Maestro Plus on there now, but it's about 25 bucks higher than just the Maestro is supposed to cost. Is the Plus 25 bucks better?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shapiro posted:

So I've been keeping an eye on the Baratza refurb section, hoping to snag a Maestro.

http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=RFRB

There's a Maestro Plus on there now, but it's about 25 bucks higher than just the Maestro is supposed to cost. Is the Plus 25 bucks better?

Given that pretty much every Maestro non-plus is off warranty, you're unlikely to see a Maestro non-plus on refurb.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

nwin posted:

Ok so I want to buy the clever coffee dripper, but I'd rather pay 17 bucks for it on amazon with free shipping, then pay 15 on sweet marias + 9 dollars shipping. The only thing is finding paper filters for it. Someone here recommended filtropa filters but the aren't on amazon with free shipping. Any other filters people recommend here?

edit: I found some rockline filters...thoughts? There's also the unbleached filtropas that are 3 bucks/100 plus 3 dollars shipping on amazon, so that might be another route.

I buy a shitload of stuff from Amazon prime but try to at least throw a bone to good people like Sweet Maria's occasionally for items. It's worth it IMO and really not that much more cash since you'll actually get customer support plus you could just wait until they have some roasted beans and toss them in or buy some other filters or something from them.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Grinder question here. I've just got a cheapo espresso machine (DeLonghi EC155) which has a pressurized portafilter. It makes a decent latte and cappuccino if I get lucky with steaming and get a decent microfoam, but as far as straight shots, it basically creates black coffee with a fake foamy crema on top. There are a couple threads on coffeegeek and some youtube videos of people that have modified the portafilter to depressurize it and make it bottomless. From what I understand this allows you to pull a decent shot provided you have good beans and a good grind, as you can play with the variables more and troubleshoot your shot.

I plan on using my Dad's tools to do this when I go home in a few weeks, so I just had a grinder question. I currently have a Capresso burr grinder which seems to actually make a decently fine grind, but I'm sure it won't be a good enough grind when I take away the crutch of a pressurized filter. I've been looking at the Baratza Encore which is the new grinder that basically takes the place of the Maestro. It's fairly new and from a few reviews I've read it seems to be able to make a decent espresso grind, a lot of reviewers seem to act surprised that it can accomplish that for the price.

It's 130 bucks new, or I could get a Virtuoso refurb for 200. I don't plan on upgrading my machine for a while so I'm not sure if it'd make too much of a difference for what I have right now.

Anyone have an Encore or have any insight or advice?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Keyser S0ze posted:

I buy a shitload of stuff from Amazon prime but try to at least throw a bone to good people like Sweet Maria's occasionally for items. It's worth it IMO and really not that much more cash since you'll actually get customer support plus you could just wait until they have some roasted beans and toss them in or buy some other filters or something from them.

Oh drat it I just ordered coffee this morning, why didn't I order filters too. And it already shipped, even! Curse you, speedy shipping awesome Tom and Maria! :argh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Keyser S0ze posted:

Sweet Marias has the best filters in my opinion, the white filteropias 9or however you spell it).
By the CCD and like 4 packs of filters (a year+ worth). Sweet Marias is basically the only place with those filters domestically online in-stock, so you might as well bite the bullet.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Jmcrofts posted:

I just want to say that this is one fuckin' delicious drink. I like it more than a standard Americano most times. I drank one every day for at least two years until I got my manual machine, and I'm honestly getting close to going back to the Moka pot.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Keyser S0ze posted:

nm posted:

Sweet Marias has the best filters in my opinion, the white filteropias 9or however you spell it).
By the CCD and like 4 packs of filters (a year+ worth). Sweet Marias is basically the only place with those filters domestically online in-stock, so you might as well bite the bullet.

Alright, you guys convinced me. Order placed.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

nosleep posted:

Anyone have an Encore or have any insight or advice?

I don't have an Encore, but I do have advice: get the best you can afford. Grinders (should) last a very long time, and if you do upgrade your Delonghi, you won't have to play catchup again with the grinder.

That being said, the Encore is getting some positive reviews...

Shapiro
Jun 27, 2005

a jealous female can be tricked into anything

nm posted:

Given that pretty much every Maestro non-plus is off warranty, you're unlikely to see a Maestro non-plus on refurb.

Oh, okay, that makes sense.

So the Plus is the way to go, then, for a first "real" grinder? I've got a little 10 dollar blade grinder now, so I'm sure this is going to be a whole new world.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not really looking to make espresso. This would just be for coffee, so if it's not the greatest espresso grinder, I'll live.

Shapiro fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 15, 2012

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Shapiro posted:

Oh, okay, that makes sense.

So the Plus is the way to go, then, for a first "real" grinder? I've got a little 10 dollar blade grinder now, so I'm sure this is going to be a whole new world.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not really looking to make espresso. This would just be for coffee, so if it's not the greatest espresso grinder, I'll live.

The Plus refurb is my first "real" grinder, and it has made a world of difference over my crappy blade grinder. We have a press pot and a Chemex at my house and the press pot coffee is loads better with a proper, consistent grind. Go for it!

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Please someone help me make aeropress coffee that doesn't suck. I've tried a lot of the various procedures, inverted, etc. but I still get a coffee product that is very bitter tasting.

Can you guys post your favorite aeropress recipes? I have a Barsta Maestro.. What grind setting should I be using?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey coffee goons, looking to buy a machine for home and I'm looking for something better than what I have at work (Flavia system: oh look, another burnt cup of coffee). So far I'm looking to pick this up tonight:

Zojirushi Coffee machine
Proctor Silex grinder
This 2lb bag of coffee

Does this look OK for a first time coffee machine/grinder/coffee? I take it that getting a #4 filter from the supermarket should be decent enough? Thanks!!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Get a burr grinder. Makes a huge difference.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Any recommendations in the $25-50 range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Phone posted:

Any recommendations in the $25-50 range?

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Hand-Grinder-Skerton/dp/B001802PIQ