Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

In case you are wondering, the reason why France has not produced a tennis champions since Noah is because of a bunch of lazy French stereotypes.

Eh, these driven Americans, Spaniards, we prefer to, how you say, drink the wine, eat the cheeses. In France, we train with baguettes, not rackets. Now if you excuse me, I am late to an appointment getting invaded by Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

"He said he's just such a douche on twitter all the time he just got fed up," Tim says in an email, "which I agree with."

Glorious.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Upon Maria Sharapova just clinching a career grand slam, I couldn't help but think about this article last year saying she was a bigger disappointment than Kournikova:

http://bit.ly/LxavFB

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
This'll be kind of random, but this recent wave of self-important "journalists" who seem to tweet the random stuff during their day is killing me, especially because they have something to bring to the table when it comes to news and insight. It's just so ... ugh. I don't even know what to call it.

Worse yet, a lot of them, while they have decent writing skills and can break stories, are good at playing the politics game and it's pretty obvious that's how they got to where they are. They'll write stories (and occasionally books) on subjects that they covered for more than a year and there's something that's completely obviously missing from what they wrote, but it goes unaddressed and you wonder why they even wrote it. If you couldn't investigate, why did you write an investigative essay? That's the core principle of an investigation. It's a sandwich with no bread or meat.

There's two that immediately come to mind and they have this stilted, flirtatious banter on twitter and it kills me a little inside every time I see it. If you follow both of them, you know who I mean.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Why don't you just say who it is, because I have no idea

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
They work for ESPN, it's all of them.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

The broken bones posted:

There's two that immediately come to mind and they have this stilted, flirtatious banter on twitter and it kills me a little inside every time I see it. If you follow both of them, you know who I mean.

The specific book in question was really disappointing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I assume this is baseball? Because I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Just an FYI, but talking about missing information and then being vague about the specific people may be a bit kin to the classic pot/kettle/black post.

Unless it is supposed to be that way, the kudos I guess.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

If you're parodying their subtweeting then well done but seriously just say who the gently caress you're talking about

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Jonah Keri is the book dude.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

All I'm trying to say is that somewhere there's a man. And sometimes he writes about sports and sometimes he does not write about sports. I mean he can write about sports, but does not have to. When he does write about sports, he sometimes says interesting things. About sports. And sometimes he writes about these things on the internet on a certain social microblogging website. Sometimes he writes them to other people, sometimes he writes them to himself. But he is writing something, somewhere.

GET IT?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

R.D. Mangles posted:

All I'm trying to say is that somewhere there's a man. And sometimes he writes about sports and sometimes he does not write about sports. I mean he can write about sports, but does not have to. When he does write about sports, he sometimes says interesting things. About sports. And sometimes he writes about these things on the internet on a certain social microblogging website. Sometimes he writes them to other people, sometimes he writes them to himself. But he is writing something, somewhere.

GET IT?
Sometimes, there's a man.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Jesus Christ guys, the two in particular are jonah Keri and Molly knight, but that was more about Espn and the like twitter personalities.

There are plenty of like writers that fit the mold.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Jonah Keri has fallen way too hard into Rays fandom to be taken seriously as a journalist but I guess it's good that the only journalism he does now is Power Rankings on Grantland.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Jonah Keri has fallen way too hard into Rays fandom to be taken seriously as a journalist but I guess it's good that the only journalism he does now is Power Rankings on Grantland.

I think this is because he's busy writing a comprehensive history of the Expos.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
This flew kind of under the radar, but Time Warner is looking to buy Bleacher Report for :stonk:200 million dollars:stonk:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304840904577426524031491042.html

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I can't think of a bigger waste of $200 million.

Or a dumber company to spend it on BR, for that matter.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I guess technically Jim Rome is a journalist.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/201...ting-your-wife/

quote:

Undaunted, Jim Rome asked Stern about the lottery this afternoon. In a mocking tone, Stern shot back, “have you stopped beating your wife?” as if to say that’s how much credibility the question has

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Toffile posted:

Jim Rome forgot Rule #1: Don't gently caress with David Stern.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Holy poo poo, David Stern is loving great. He should give all press conferences for every sport.

Also, I've read estimates that say Rome makes $40 million a year off his radio show alone. Christ.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 13, 2012

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Toffile posted:

The "have you stopped beating your wife?" is somewhat of a classical example of a yes or no question that cannot be answered with a yes or no (assuming you've never beaten your wife).

The correct (nerdy) answer is "mu".

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Deadspin finally posted the audio

David Stern's last words posted:

I have to go call someone important now. Stephen A. Smith is up next."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groucho Marxist posted:

This flew kind of under the radar, but Time Warner is looking to buy Bleacher Report for :stonk:200 million dollars:stonk:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304840904577426524031491042.html
Well this IS the same company that bought AOL when the company was headed towards the toilet...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well this IS the same company that bought AOL when the company was headed towards the toilet...

And the Huffington Post.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
goddamn that owns

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Anytime Jim Rome gets his rear end humiliated is okay by me.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
ESPNHS is all but ceasing operation, laying off 75 writers and editors.

Raise your hands if you actually read an ESPNHS article. I know I did, but I'm still a bit surprised.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

ESPNHS is all but ceasing operation, laying off 75 writers and editors.

Raise your hands if you actually read an ESPNHS article. I know I did, but I'm still a bit surprised.

This is literally the first time I've ever heard of it.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I didn't even know that there was an ESPNHS.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They needed 75 writers and editors?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm assuming that ESPNHS covered high school sports (which is sort of weird to cover on a national level), but I'm going to prefer that it was ESPNHs which is a variant of ESPN that only covers H things including:

-Hockey
-Hackeysack
-Hang Gliding
-Home Runs
-Home Depot Center
-Hawk Harrelson
-Hartford Whalers
-Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner
-Hippolyte Acoutrier
-Hungry Hungry Hippos

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm assuming that ESPNHS covered high school sports (which is sort of weird to cover on a national level), but I'm going to prefer that it was ESPNHs which is a variant of ESPN that only covers H things including:

-Hockey
-Hackeysack
-Hang Gliding
-Home Runs
-Home Depot Center
-Hawk Harrelson
-Hartford Whalers
-Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner
-Hippolyte Acoutrier
-Hungry Hungry Hippos

I think they did some crappy national sports mag that I would always take from my principal's office on the way to my planning period dumpski.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
That's kind of weird since it's the last really untapped market. I thought that ESPN the Magazine College Edition they used to make was going to be huge but that floundered too. I guess people who are into high school sports really only want to read about it on the hyperlocal level. "Texas Forever" and all that poo poo.

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 14, 2012

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

BackInTheUSSR posted:

That's kind of weird since it's the last really untapped market. I thought that ESPN the Magazine College Edition they used to make was going to be huge but that floundered too. I guess people who are into high school sports really only want to read about it on the hyperlocal level. "Texas Forever" and all that poo poo.

Basically. The local newspaper appears to have everyone beat on preps coverage.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
http://deadspin.com/5917795/how-to-...-atrocious-book

How do you write an article about JAY MARIOTTI and somehow come across as the bigger rear end in a top hat. Or at least, an rear end in a top hat of approximately the same size.

Copernic fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 14, 2012

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Copernic posted:

How do you write an article about JAY MARIOTTI and somehow come across as the bigger rear end in a top hat. Or least, an rear end in a top hat of approximately the same size.

I don't exactly see how that guy is as bad or worse than Jay Mariotti. But then again, gently caress Jay Mariotti.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Copernic posted:

How do you write an article about JAY MARIOTTI and somehow come across as the bigger rear end in a top hat. Or least, an rear end in a top hat of approximately the same size.
A.J. Daulerio? Being an rear end in a top hat? Well I never!

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
I couldn't finish that piece. There was no point to it. Other than learning about consistent communication between the two parties there was nothing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

If Jay Mariotti is the sportsworld's biggest douchebag, AJ ain't that far behind.