Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
I can't remember the book, but before they're married Sam goes to see Sybil's lawyer who after all the talk about assets, makes some comment about Sybil coming from good baby making stock.

He phrases it a bit euphemistically but he is obviously trying to make Sam think about fatherhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NastyPBears posted:

I can't remember the book, but before they're married Sam goes to see Sybil's lawyer who after all the talk about assets, makes some comment about Sybil coming from good baby making stock.

He phrases it a bit euphemistically but he is obviously trying to make Sam think about fatherhood.
Men at Arms. It's also revealed that Vimes now owns the land rights to a fairly large portion of Ankh-Morpork, including the Assassins' Guild.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Vetinari also employees Mr. Trooper the hangman, and mention is made in earlier books that mimes end up chained to a wall in a dungeon in front of a sign labeled "LEARN THE WORDS"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Smiling Jack posted:

Vetinari also employees Mr. Trooper the hangman, and mention is made in earlier books that mimes end up chained to a wall in a dungeon in front of a sign labeled "LEARN THE WORDS"

Its actually chained upside down in the scorpion pit with a sign saying "LEARN THE WORDS" :goonsay:and its stated that ankh morpork's citizens consider this an acceptable punishment.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ferrosol posted:

Its actually chained upside down in the scorpion pit with a sign saying "LEARN THE WORDS" :goonsay:and its stated that ankh morpork's citizens consider this an acceptable punishment.

Oh god I remember seeing this in the back of the Fools Guild diary I got. I wish I saved it :(.

I'm not scared of Clowns but Dr Whiteface is very very unsettling.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
I just got an ad from Amazon about The Long Earth, a collaboration between Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter due the June 21st, it's the first time I heard about it.

Anyone here knows anything about it ?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Good news: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120607092616.htm

An experimental vaccine for Alzheimer's is being tested.

I hope Pratchett hears about this. Hell, I hope he tests it; may as well see the results before he chooses his time to go.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Good news: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120607092616.htm

An experimental vaccine for Alzheimer's is being tested.

I hope Pratchett hears about this. Hell, I hope he tests it; may as well see the results before he chooses his time to go.

Really hope this works, not just for Terry but all the people suffering from this horrible disease.

The people working in curing the worst we can suffer really don't get enough support in this time of economic difficulties but they are true heroes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Really hope this works, not just for Terry but all the people suffering from this horrible disease.

The people working in curing the worst we can suffer really don't get enough support in this time of economic difficulties but they are true heroes.

The people working on curing disease at the best of times get the crumbs wiped from the table of what the beauty-chemists get to play with.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Ferrosol posted:

I think a lot of people think this is an acceptable punishment.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I recently re-read Thud and as much as I like how rich and deep the Dwarven culture and history we've seen in Thud and The Fifth Elephant is it makes me wish we knew more about Troll culture. The concept that they think that time actually moves backwards is pretty interesting and I actually want to know about the history chant, Long Dance and stone music.
I've always gotten the feeling that despite the heat slowing their though processes down most trolls aren't really as stupid as people think they are. Chrysoprase runs a large criminal empire which isn't exactly a business the slow witted last long in, Detritus can be clever at times and I seem to remember one of the watch stories having a part where Nobby and Fred interview some Troll merchant who is obviously smarter then both of them combined, which admittedly isn't much of an achievement.

Regarding Sam's and Sybils age:
I know that Sally is said to be slightly younger then Vimes in Thud and she is 51 and young Sam is about 14 months old at that time. But that would mean that Sam would have have to have been at least 20 during the Glorious Revolution when he came of as being around 16 unless I'm misremembering and it took place thirty-something years ago instead of exactly 30.
or perhaps a wizard the history monks did it.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 12, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fingers crossed Scouting will give us a little more peek at the backgrounds of the trolls of the Disc and their culture too.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Chrysoprase also likes to meet people in chilled rooms (though he is always gentlemanly enough to offer a comfortable coat to his guests.)

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Regarding Sam's and Sybils age:
I know that Sally is said to be slightly younger then Vimes in Thud and she is 51 and young Sam is about 14 months old at that time.

Where does it say she's 51?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Where does it say she's 51?
When Vimes is meeting with the Black Ribboners and Vetinari about having a vampire in the Watch.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

FactsAreUseless posted:

When Vimes is meeting with the Black Ribboners and Vetinari about having a vampire in the Watch.

So that would make her 49/19 in Night Watch. Vimes being 19/20 is a bit older than expected but still young enough to be a greenhorn. That still fits.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

So that would make her 49/19 in Night Watch. Vimes being 19/20 is a bit older than expected but still young enough to be a greenhorn. That still fits.
I suspect Pratchett didn't think the ages through that much, because young Sam in Night Watch is 16, 17 tops. Continuity has always been fast and loose in the series anyway.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I suspect Pratchett didn't think the ages through that much, because young Sam in Night Watch is 16, 17 tops. Continuity has always been fast and loose in the series anyway.

Its all the thief of times fault!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Thief of Time is one of the most freaking brilliant things anyone has done ever.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I think Small Gods is probably the closest Terry has ever come to writing legitimate literature.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
If Night Watch isn't legitimate literature, I don't want to know what is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

inklesspen posted:

If Night Watch isn't legitimate literature, I don't want to know what is.

But it can't be legitimate literature because it has dragons and wizards and stuff in it! :v:

Seriously, Axe Cop, go read Nation then reappraise your stance.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I think the man speaks for himself on that front:
"In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Evfedu posted:

"In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book"

I remember reading this when I was in grammar school at the same time I had to read The Merchant of Venice. Pretty much made me fall in love with Pratchett.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Evfedu posted:

I certainly agree with Susan most of the time, but once in a long while, if the stars align, a brilliant author will write something that is both Literature and a drat good book. "Small Gods" and "Nation" qualify. Maybe some of his other stuff too.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

AXE COP posted:

I think Small Gods is probably the closest Terry has ever come to writing legitimate literature.

What exactly is the criteria for "legitimate literature"?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Mister Roboto posted:

Do you have to read it in school/college? Is it unlikely you would read it otherwise? Do you think it would be a much better book if set in space with big gently caress-off space violence?

That's literature. gently caress it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Roboto posted:

There's a curve of "years of english class symbolism you can wring out of it". Once you're at 50 years, it's Literature with a capital L. Generally calculated with some logarithmic function involving "lack of accessible humour" multiplied by "incomprehensibility".

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

I certainly agree with Susan most of the time, but once in a long while, if the stars align, a brilliant author will write something that is both Literature and a drat good book. "Small Gods" and "Nation" qualify. Maybe some of his other stuff too.

The entire point that capital elle literature is a completely naff and pointless term that essentially just means "a certain kind of people liked this book and think you should like it."

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Which is to say, "Your local school district found it inoffensive and ambiguous enough to fill a couple weeks of english class with".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Giver is one of my favorites on the list of books I had to read in middle school. One reason why is I have personally seen it banned by a public school district for being too Christian, and also by a private Christian school for being too un-Christian. Anytime I see a book like that it's a must-read.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee

Mister Roboto posted:

Is it written by a dead man, or one of approximately twelve dead women? If not, is the author a white person approaching or out of middle age? If not, is the author a person of color whose writing has had enough impact on the field that an institution of learning or criticism would feel obligated to include just enough of their work to avoid accusations of racism, but not enough to develop a cogent picture of the conditions that allowed them and others like them to produce it? If not, is the author Jonathan Safran Foer?

If one of the above applies, congratulations, you are likely reading legitimate literature! (Authors writing primarily "genre" fiction are largely exempt unless, under Atwood's Law, said author is willing to publicly denounce said genre on multiple occasions.)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I think we're skating dangerously close to anti-intellectualism here.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
:stare:...

Jeez, calm down. All I meant was that Small Gods was probably the one most likely to end up being studied academically or in schools. I think all but his most recent books have been completely excellent and have read them all multiple times, but I don't think all of them can be deeply intellectually analysed, in the same way that I enjoyed The Stand but it's far from a great book. I didn't mean to start some crazy Anti-School Crusade.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PateraOctopus posted:

(Authors writing primarily "genre" fiction are largely exempt unless, under Atwood's Law, said author is willing to publicly denounce said genre on multiple occasions.)
Atwood just released a collection of essays about science fiction. Her most recent series is dystopian sci-fi with environmentalist themes. She's not some sort of genre traitor or whatever you're implying here.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought I remembered Atwood writing angry screeds about being called a sci-fi writer.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Not exactly screeds, but she did disparage the use of the term and the usual state of the genre.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Not exactly screeds, but she did disparage the use of the term and the usual state of the genre.
The genre's often pretty bad, but Atwood was arguing against the arbitrary division between genre fiction and "real literature," and how that turns good writers away from writing sci-fi (hence the "usual state of the genre.") She's a big sci-fi fan.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I really should get that book. I love Atwood's writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Literature blergh.

Anyway I saw world of Poo today, is it worth picking up?