Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I had a TF101 and I whined about it pretty loudly in this thread. In particular, text PDFs that even my ancient Nokia shitphone and iPod touch could handle were lagging like poo poo. The whole thing just felt like someone slapped a bunch of commodity parts together and shipped it as fast as possible to collect a holiday bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

computers posted:

Yes, Android is bad software.

If you're just going to skim over what I post I'll save us both time- tell your boss you only test on ios devices, sell the tf, and be done with it. Everyone wins.

Peven Stan posted:

I had a TF101.. The whole thing just felt like someone slapped a bunch of commodity parts together and shipped it as fast as possible to collect a holiday bonus.

That's because that's exactly what happened. Honeycomb was a rush job coupled with a reference soc that sucked at certain things spectacularly because they had nothing in the market so they figured nvidias something was better then nothing.

I think it just hurt them worse then waiting another 1.5 years to enter the market, especially as an underdog. The tegra 2 is a pretty lousy soc compared to the 3 or qualmcomms offerings. Kind of like a damned if you do damned if you don't thing. I remember the laggy mess that was my buddies launch day xoom and having all my excitement die immediately.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 14, 2012

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Given how much time he spends posting in this thread I think I know why his boss wont let him pick his own hardware.

illicitporpoises fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 14, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

computers posted:

The stutters and tiling are mentioned in every review.
Reviews that say the UI is not as smooth as the iPad 2:

"As a device purely for browsing the web or sending emails, the 300 is easily in the same camp as the iPad 2. The user experience isn't as consistently smooth, but there are advantages that matter to some - such as the ability to support Flash and the ICS Gmail app."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5756/asus-transformer-pad-300-review/8

"Ice Cream Sandwich is just a really solid tablet operating system. There's far less lag as you move around home screens or open and close apps on the Transformer Pad — it's not a completely fluid experience yet, but it's leaps and bounds beyond Honeycomb's capabilities."
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/25/3041280/asus-transformer-pad-review

"The screen feels more responsive than the Prime's when swiping through screens, nearly reaching iPad levels of sensitivity. Apps load quickly (only a hair more slowly than on the Prime) and menus pop up in a snap. Also, there's still that great, smooth Tegra 3-induced, 60-frames-per-second screen transition effect when closing apps or swiping through apps and widgets."
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/asus-transformer-pad-tf300/4505-3126_7-35230242-2.html

I don't think reviews saying "in the same camp as the iPad 2 but not *completely* fluid" supports saying that it's a cheap piece of poo poo.

Reviews that say the UI is smooth, or similar to the iPad 2:

"I can’t stress enough here how much I love that ASUS has left Ice Cream Sandwich alone for the most part. Not applying ten different layers of animations and skins keeps the Transformer Pad 300 feeling snappy... the ASUS Transformer Pad 300 was as fast as you could possibly need a tablet to be. It will run any app you can find in the Google Play Store with ease. There was practically no lag when launching apps, and browsing the web (using both the default browser and Chrome) was smooth as butter."
http://androidandme.com/2012/04/reviews/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-review/

"Android 4.0 is a big step forward with a smoothness and polish that rivals Apple's iOS"
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403304,00.asp

"Moving around home screens is slick, and it's rare that there's any judder... There's plenty of power here too, with media and games running with incredible smoothness."
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5842/asus-transformer-pad-tf300t-android-tablet-review

"The clock speed has been reduced by 100MHz, down from the Prime's 1.3GHz; this is nothing to worry about though as it still sped through tasks, opening and closing applications at speed."
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1292188/asus-transformer-pad-tf300t/2

"uses the same Tegra 3 chip as the Prime, though clocked slightly lower: at 1.2GHz vs. the Prime's 1.3GHz speed. That said, the difference is minimal; in most usage scenarios, the two tablets feel comparably fluid and fast... functions fantastically. The TF300T doesn't have the same sexy body and premium feel as its older brother, but it's a solid device with stellar specs and top-notch performance "
http://blogs.computerworld.com/20062/asus_transformer_pad_tf300t

"Of course, beyond the synthetic benchmarks, what’s more important is the 'perceived' performance. As such, the Asus Transformer Pad TF300 is one of the best Android tablet on the market, and the only 'real' competitor that I have seen to date is Asus’ own TF201, aka Transformer Prime."
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/04/asus-transformer-pad-review-tf300/

"The quad-core Tegra 3 processor remains as impressive as it was when we first saw it, even though it's running at a slightly slower 1.2GHz clock speed in the Transformer Pad. The touchscreen responded to taps and presses with alacrity, and we found little in performance terms to differentiate this tablet from the 1.3GHz Transformer Prime."
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/reviews/mobile-internet-devices/2012/05/22/asus-transformer-pad-tf300t-40155267/

"The graphics chip is supposedly clocked approximately 200MHz slower. Will you feel the difference? No. The 1.2GHz feels equally as responsive and it benchmarks almost as well as the T30-based tablets."
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tablets/Asus-Transformer-Pad-TF300.htm

"While the screen is not as bright as the Transformer, this $379 slate delivers Tegra 3 muscle for smooth overall performance and playing a growing selection of 3D games."
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/tablets/asus-transformer-pad-tf300.aspx

"The Nvidia Tegra 3 takes a slight cut in speed, dropping from 1.3 to 1.2GHz, a hundred megahertz drop that’s unlikely to inconvenience anyone, even the most die hard of performance nuts. We certainly didn’t notice any major performance issue, and had no issues playing any games taking advantage of the Tegra 3 chip inside, nor did we find any noticeable slowdowns with applications, browsing the web, or switching between homescreens."
http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/product/asus-transformer-pad-tf300t/2/

computers posted:

I'm not trolling, I'm sharing my miserable experience with a mediocre device.

"I have to say, I agree with the Anandtech review; the UI experience isn't as consistently smooth as the iPad 2.", that's not trolling.

This:

computers posted:

ASUS will hold out hostage if you ship it to them for repairs. That's after breaking it further to make sure youre not covered under warranty.

computers posted:

But you see Android gives me the freedom to chose between many mediocre devices instead of being locked into the walled garden of a single good device.

computers posted:

Android is bad software.
This is trolling, plain and simple.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

computers posted:

ASUS will hold out hostage if you ship it to them for repairs. That's after breaking it further to make sure youre not covered under warranty.

Rastor posted:

I wouldn't count this bit as trolling, since this is a thing that's actually happened. Asus's poor customer service record should be concern for anyone considering an Asus tablet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gourd of Taste posted:

Is this sharing your mediocre experience?

Someone on XDA sent them a transformer prime TF201 and when they got it they said it had damage to it. The pictures looked like someone had bashed in one of the edges.

They told him they could keep it or send it back as is for $90 (to cover the diagnostic).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Forgive me if this is the improper thread since it's a phone and a tablet but is there going to be a US release of the ASUS Padfone? It's pretty much the device of my dreams but with my luck we'll never see it stateside.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rhyno posted:

Forgive me if this is the improper thread since it's a phone and a tablet but is there going to be a US release of the ASUS Padfone? It's pretty much the device of my dreams but with my luck we'll never see it stateside.

It is unlikely.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Rhyno posted:

I wouldn't worry about it, it's an Android device made by ASUS so it's a terrible OS on broken hardware you can't get fixed.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I wouldn't count this bit as trolling, since this is a thing that's actually happened. Asus's poor customer service record should be concern for anyone considering an Asus tablet.

Yeah, Asus' customer service is terrible. I bought the Transformer Prime after checking Best Buy's inventory every day for weeks. I bought the only one in any store within a 200 mile radius. I go home, and the proprietary charging cable is messed up. The only options I was given was to buy a new one for $30, or send my cable in, have them "diagnose" it, and then have a replacement sent out. I shouldn't have to wait weeks to get a replacement cable that costs them $2. Hell, I would have gladly paid a $30 deposit but that wasn't an option.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Don't even try to get an ASUS device fixed, ASUS will smash it against a table and demand additional money! We totally heard this once from an XDA poster, and therefore we know that this is true of every ASUS warranty repair ever. It's pretty amazing that a company would smash every device sent in for repair rather than repairing them, and still be an operating company rather than having been closed down after a TV exposé, but it's totally true.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Yeah, Asus' customer service is terrible. I bought the Transformer Prime after checking Best Buy's inventory every day for weeks. I bought the only one in any store within a 200 mile radius. I go home, and the proprietary charging cable is messed up. The only options I was given was to buy a new one for $30, or send my cable in, have them "diagnose" it, and then have a replacement sent out. I shouldn't have to wait weeks to get a replacement cable that costs them $2. Hell, I would have gladly paid a $30 deposit but that wasn't an option.

You are lucky, most people are required to send their tablet in with the cable.

Rastor posted:

Don't even try to get it fixed, ASUS will smash it against a table and demand additional money! We totally heard this once from an XDA poster, and therefore we know that this is true of every ASUS warranty repair ever. It's pretty amazing that a company would smash every device sent in for repair rather than repairing them, and still be an operating company rather than having been closed down after a TV exposé, but it's totally true.

So do you think all the stories about asus' poor support history are falsified?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don Lapre posted:

It is unlikely.

Well that's unfortunate. I keep a laptop in the living room for casual internet use and a tablet in the bedroom as well as having my phone around at all times. A tablet/phone combo is something I've been waiting for since the tablet market exploded.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

So do you think all the stories about asus' poor support history are falsified?
No, I'm sure some of the stories are true.

"ASUS will hold out hostage if you ship it to them for repairs. That's after breaking it further to make sure youre not covered under warranty."

That's not.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Rhyno posted:

According to the supposed ASUS rep who blogs are saying "confirmed" the Nexus tablet, ASUS is having trouble convincing US carriers to stock it which has slowed down their launch plans:

quote:

The next piece of info that we got is a little more specific. ASUS is in talks with US carriers to bring the Padfone stateside. The bad news is carriers hate it (somehow expected, those tethering fees are basically free money) and, so far, only AT&T is willing to give it a try. Things are going slow on this front, said the ASUS rep.

http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-google-tablet-confirmed-at-t-padfone-pad-infinity-tf700-93742/

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

The Merkinman posted:

I wouldn't worry about it, it's an Android device made by ASUS so it's a terrible OS on broken hardware you can't get fixed.

well yeah, kind of:

The Verge posted:

The PadFone nails the idea, but misses on the execution to the point where it feels more like a tech demo than a viable product. There are enough performance issues and app interface problems that I began to avoid using the PadFone as a tablet, and even the phone itself has some underwhelming specs for a supposedly high-end device. I want badly to be able to ditch my laptop, set up a dock at work and a tablet at home, and just carry my phone everywhere knowing I can get done whatever needs doing. The PadFone hints that we're not far from that day, but proves conclusively that it's not here yet.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/6/3064317/asus-padfone-review

Engadget posted:

This list may seem to have the basics covered and it's easy to impress your friends with the seamless video playback in the default video player, but trust us, this is far from sufficient when you consider how all other apps slap you in the face with this painful message: "Application does not support dynamic display switching and has been closed." The black list includes pretty much all Google services (e.g., Maps, Gmail, Play services, Movie Studio and YouTube); some of the pre-loaded apps like Garmin and WebStorage; popular downloads such as Facebook, Twitter and Angry Birds, and our very own Engadget app as well... what we see here is just the core of the idea, the foundation to get things started, while the rest of the product seems half-finished and doesn't yet realize its full potential... Focusing on the PadFone that's already on the market, we can't help but feel ASUS really just wanted to get it out of the way ahead of Computex.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/12/asus-padfone-review/

Though I'm sure androidandme.com or expertreviews.co.uk might have better things to say.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Well that's unfortunate. I keep a laptop in the living room for casual internet use and a tablet in the bedroom as well as having my phone around at all times. A tablet/phone combo is something I've been waiting for since the tablet market exploded.

You can always buy it full price and use tmobile or AT&T

Rastor posted:

No, I'm sure some of the stories are true.

"ASUS will hold out hostage if you ship it to them for repairs. That's after breaking it further to make sure youre not covered under warranty."

That's not.

More like, someone at the RMA center broke it and wont admit it. They have a minimum charge on things that dont count for warranty too look at.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don Lapre posted:

You can always buy it full price and use tmobile or AT&T

It's pretty tempting to be honest. Like stated above I know that US carriers love their tethering fees but this device is such a great idea I'd think that eventually it would catch on.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rastor posted:

This:

quote:

trolling stuff

Correct.

People, it's completely possible to share your bad experiences with an Android tablet without being a troll.

Either learn to do so, or don't post.

Why does this freaking thread require my attention all the time when the Android phone thread doesn't? GOD!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't you get the memo? If you buy anything other than an iPad you've made a Bad Purchasetm. We need to be reminded of this. Constantly.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Thermopyle posted:

Why does this freaking thread require my attention all the time when the Android phone thread doesn't? GOD!

Because Android tablets haven't found their footing quite yet :v:

I still wouldn't recommend any ASUS tablet. If they had some sort of Advanced Replacement for RMA, I would, but the horror stories I've heard just make it a definite "no". You probably won't have an affected device, but if you do, you'd want a quick turnaround time.

edit: If I had to recommend an Android tablet, it would probably be a Galaxy Note 10.1 or a Galaxy Tab 2 if you didn't need an accurate touchscreen.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

Thermopyle posted:

The combination of goons and tablet discussion invariably dissolves into a hyperbolic, uncompromisable sperg disaster.

It's kind of like asking why the sun rises at dawn and falls at dusk, or why we live and die. It's simply one of life's absolutes. Why, in these troubled and chaotic times, where it seems the whole world could collapse on itself at any moment, it's almost comforting to know that I can click on IYG, and goons will certainly be bickering over their preference of high-tech touchscreen media devices.. :allears:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The margins on Android tablets are probably so razaor thin that providing even half assed support would wipe out what slim profits they make.

Get an iPad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Correct.

People, it's completely possible to share your bad experiences with an Android tablet without being a troll.

Either learn to do so, or don't post.

I imagine Sex Parrot deals with it by drinking a lot

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Don't forget I have posted TWICE in this thread about my TF201 breaking down TWICE.

Additionally, ASUS DAMAGED the metal case when they repaired in the first time.

I too have "owned" the TF201 for 5 months now, but have only had it in my possession for less than 3 of them because it's been out for repairs. It's still out for repairs, it's been two weeks and I haven't heard a thing.

The only thing ASUS has done for me, and they called it a "one time courtesy" is that they paid for the shipping the second time it broke. Which is in fact, bullshit.

So there's your first hand negative anecdote to counter your first hand positive anecdote.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ok everyone. I think anyone coming in here looking for opinions about Android tablets will get the negative viewpoint just fine. There's no point in bringing it up again for awhile unless you're discussing like "how do I fix X" or whatever.

There's now a temporary moratorium on posts bashing Android tablets without a reason. And "so-and-so just said they liked theirs and I didn't like mine" is not a reason.

Sometimes people like to commiserate about their bad experiences, and that's fine...but it's getting too troll-y in here.

(I now expect the posts per day to drop WAY down.)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

So I got a job today which involves going offshore for a few weeks at a time, and decided on a bit of a whim to pick up the Asus Transformer Prime TF201. I've owned ASUS products in the past, including a ROG Laptop (which I had to send back for RMA, and it was all done promptly and at no cost to me, but now when reading both the recommendation thread and this one it seems like in terms of tablets ASUS doesn't have their stuff together? It's not a big deal I can take the tablet back (refrained from opening before checking it out online) but should I be concerned about this tablet vs the other android options? I guess this is more suited for the "Recommend me a tablet" thread, but I'm not going to buy an Apple product so I didn't think I would get much input there.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
You didn't look up anything about the Prime before buying it? That is never a good idea with expensive electronics, and you got unlucky with this one, the Prime has been known to have a lot of problems compared to other Android tablets. This is from the Recommend me a tablet's OP:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

:siren: The Transformer Prime comes with a few caveats: :siren:
ASUS rushed it to get the first Tegra 3 tablet on the market and to make Christmas, and as such the design and quality control have suffered for it. Known issues with the Prime can include poor Wi-Fi performance, nonfunctional GPS, backlight bleeding, pitting on the body, and charger issues. There are various remedies on the Internet if you are affected by these problems, and supposedly newer units are improving in reliability. That said, ASUS seems keen to put the issues behind them as they've already shown new tablet models at CES, and competitors will have their Tegra 3 competitors out soon. There are several happy goons who have purchased Primes, and seemingly equally as many who had to exchange their units at least once to get an acceptable device. Take all of this into consideration before purchasing a Transformer Prime.
You probably would have been better off with the TF300, a slightly less fancy tablet than the Prime but it's only $400 ($385 on Amazon last I checked), or the TF700 that's coming out if you wanted something really high end. You very well might get lucky though and have no problems with it, from what I've seen as someone who follows this thread it's just a crapshoot.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

flashman posted:

It's not a big deal I can take the tablet back (refrained from opening before checking it out online) but should I be concerned about this tablet vs the other android options? I guess this is more suited for the "Recommend me a tablet" thread, but I'm not going to buy an Apple product so I didn't think I would get much input there.
Can you see the serial number without opening the box?

The first runs (serial number begins with "B") had some quality control issues. Later runs (serial number begins with "C", especially if the second digit is 3 or higher) should be fine, as long as you don't need to use GPS.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kazy posted:

I still wouldn't recommend any ASUS tablet. If they had some sort of Advanced Replacement for RMA, I would, but the horror stories I've heard just make it a definite "no". You probably won't have an affected device, but if you do, you'd want a quick turnaround time.

Depends on your local consumer laws I guess - where I am the retailer is responsible for either getting your device repaired or providing a replacement or refunding your money. Admittedly its still a pain in the arse to deal with lovely electronic store employees but here Apple is no different in that regard (Apple products are sold by third parties).

Anyway I'm strongly considering a TF300 + dock just because my netbook (an Asus) has such a terrible screen compared to pretty much any tablet and its just jarring going back to it now i have a decent IPS display on my desktop.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anyone in the uk reading all the asus hate would do well to remember we have some lovely consumer protection laws here that flat out do not allow the sort of negative behaviour we're hearing about.

Obviously it still sounds like a crapshoot whether you'll get a good device but if it's bad an exchange or a refund is so much easier to get.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Similarly I've heard of no such issues in Australia. In fact, I've sent mine out for repairs (screen splotches) and got it back within two weeks (Melb -> Syd). I paid for postage there, they paid for postage back.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It starts with a C so I'm going to keep it. The ASUS retailer here is pretty awesome they will send it away and poo poo for RMA and its a small business where I know the owners so I'm not really too worried of these claims of them stealing your tablet or whatever. Would you guys suggest one of those stick on screen protectors like the Zagg or whatever? The salesman suggested it but I thought to get a hard case or something a bit sturdier.

flashman fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 15, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People comparing ASUS product launches to Apple should probably think of the time when Apple released the iPhone 4 but kept the 3GS around as a cheaper 'intro' model even though it was outgoing, at the same time that AT&T was dumping excess stock of the officially discontinued 3G at the lowest possible price. It didn't flood the market, but you could say that less than savvy consumers were confused by the whole number of choices available. It didn't hurt the iPhone in the long run. Things turned out okay.

There's basically three Transformers: The 700 is the flagship model, the Prime is the 'outgoing' model on the verge of being discontinued, and the 300 is the value model. If you need a direct Apple comparison, the 700 is the 4S, the Prime is the 3GS, the 300 is basically a 4 without a Retina screen and Siri, and the original TF101 is like AT&T dumping the goddamn 3G model nobody should buy.

I think what the proper advice should be to someone who wants to own a 10" ASUS tablet is to either wait and see on the 700, or just buy the 300. The Prime really has so many drat issues that you shouldn't recommend it to anyone. They certainly hosed poo poo up and put a horrible first foot forward with the Prime, but the 300 launch went mostly okay so if they can do an alright job with the 700 and eventually phase out the original two models they'll be fine.

Did ASUS gently caress up a product launch against a competitor who hasn't hosed up a product launch since 2002? Yep. Does that mean you should avoid all future ASUS products? Only if you still make your current purchasing decisions based on lousy ideas of Apple past like the Core Solo Mac Mini or the USB 'puck' mouse.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 15, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

flashman posted:

Would you guys suggest one of those stick on screen protectors like the Zagg or whatever? The salesman suggested it but I thought to get a hard case or something a bit sturdier.
The screen is Gorilla glass and probably doesn't need protecting. I found a nice soft case at the local bookstore which I slide mine into.

Generally, though choices about protection depend a lot on where you take the device and how you treat it, you need to make your own decision based on those factors.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
The acer iconia a700 is finally up for preorder up at amazon with no delivery date reported. I placed an order and will play with it until google announces their nexus tablet and see which one to keep. I have had excellent experience with their netbook so I'm very excited to upgrade from a hacked nook color.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Rastor posted:

The screen is Gorilla glass and probably doesn't need protecting. I found a nice soft case at the local bookstore which I slide mine into.

Generally, though choices about protection depend a lot on where you take the device and how you treat it, you need to make your own decision based on those factors.

I don't get why anyone would use a screen protector. Glass is pretty difficult to scratch. They haven't been necessary since devices use resistive plastic screens

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That's what I thought until I noticed scratches on the screen of my Galaxy Nexus. :( Whatever Samsung used, it's better than plastic but not as scratch resistant as Gorilla Glass. Now I have a screen protector on the way.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kynetx posted:

I don't get why anyone would use a screen protector. Glass is pretty difficult to scratch. They haven't been necessary since devices use resistive plastic screens
Lots of things are harder than glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I use an anti-glare screen protector on my Tab 8.9- it certainly doesn't add any weight, and makes the screen a little less reflective without noticeable loss of image quality. The slightly rougher surface it has makes swiping a little more fluid for me, too.