Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

I never did see if you could get to Mysidia earlier than the story intended. Getting stuff like Flare/Holy early on would probably be a fun new way of breaking everything.

Oh yeah. Take the chocobo and ride down the continent. Put Minh in the back row and have him on resurrection duty while you run from everything on the trip back. As long as you've still got Minh, are strong enough to kill wizards north of Phinn for some expensive spellbooks to fund your buying spree, and have a little luck / save after every successful escape, Mysidia's free for the picking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Artix74 posted:

Auto-battle has nothing to do with paradigm shifting, though? Autobattle is the game picking from a the list of available commands; Paradigm shifting is you telling the game which list it's allowed to pick from. You could (arguably should) automate the former. You can't possibly automate the latter without going into crazy gambit setups.

The former is precisely what I mean (i.e. permanent autobattle). I might have misinterpreted the previous poster, but that's what I thought they meant as well. Letting the CPU take over paradigm shifting for you would obviously wipe out all the gameplay.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's nothing wrong with enjoying the game, but there's also recognising where something fails or is lacking for the player playing it.

Yeah, it still boils down to opinion, but as long as the person can explain why it's flawed for them or why they enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Indeed, though people on both sides can get pretty condescending about it. I remember mentioning that I quite liked Caius in the XIII-2 LP and had a few people start going "Well you're just a simpleton to like Anime superpowers and poo poo, why don't you go jingle some keys in front of your face for all the meaning you're getting :smug:" By the same token I've seen people argue that XIII or this or that pet FF game is "SO MEANINGFUL AND ARTISTIC and the haters JUST DON'T GET IT :smug:," which is just as insufferable.

I'm mostly backing out of the debates lately, they're pretty dumb and tend to draw out entirely too much Anger About Video Games for my taste.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 14, 2012

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Well everyone knows FF VI is the best one. :smug:

edit: :smug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lilli posted:

Maybe if you play Awful Fantasy. Vanilla VI is kinda boring and frankly pretty glitchy.

Now let me tell you about Final Fantasy Legends III, the one where the plot is that all of existence is a gameshow and the final boss is the producer of your TV series which he is trying to cancel.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Lilli posted:

Clearly the answer is to go back and play every Final Fantasy game ever released, in order, including the spin-offs, and write about it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Maybe if you play Awful Fantasy. Vanilla VI is kinda boring and frankly pretty glitchy.

Now let me tell you about Final Fantasy Legends III, the one where the plot is that all of existence is a gameshow and the final boss is the producer of your TV series which he is trying to cancel.

Excuse you, but the PROPER title is SaGa III as is the case in Japan
:goonsay:

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Lilli posted:

Not everyone, it's an elite club for only those with the finest taste.

Which makes it all the sweeter.

:smug:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Barudak posted:

It's funny, that was actually the second game I played with Final Fantasy in the title. I had FF4 on the SNES as a kid and I enjoyed it enough that I ended up buying that because I thought it was another final fantasy game.

p.crestmont posted:

Not everyone, it's an elite club for only those with the finest taste.

Which makes it all the sweeter.

:smug:

Oh but of course. :smug:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Nah, FFVI really is the best one.

Chrono Trigger kicks FF6's rear end, but FF6 is the best Final Fantasy game. Chrono Trigger, FF6 and Mario RPG make up the holy trinity of JRPGs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lilli posted:

It's funny, that was actually the second game I played with Final Fantasy in the title. I had FF4 on the SNES as a kid and I enjoyed it enough that I ended up buying that because I thought it was another final fantasy game.

They got you the same way the got me minus the enjoy FF4 part.

Oh FF Legends 1, the only time travel game I've ever played where attempting to work with a child-like understanding of causality can cause a game breaking bug which destroys time.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 14, 2012

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

Star Ocean 3?!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tempo 119 posted:

Star Ocean 3?!

The voice acting was mostly terrible and the third act was pants-on-head retarded, but gently caress if I didn't love the poo poo out of 80-90% of that game. :unsmith:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Chrono Trigger, FF7, and Mario RPG make up the holy trinity of JRPGs.
Muuuuch better. Fixed a typo, and you were missing a comma. :angel:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Barudak posted:

If anything, the glitches enhance the game.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You and me, we're enemies.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Drighton posted:

What's with all the engines Square has been creating? It seems like there is a new engine with every other release? I'm just wondering what their reasoning is for creating a new in-house engine all the time? Do they even license it to third parties?

Crystal Tools was the last big engine they created -- Luminous is a lighting engine. They aren't doing it that often. Whatever their next-gen engine is is just an adaptation for the next era of consoles.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Versus 13 is running on Luminous, right? I hope it means everyone gets a flowing beard. Green flowing beards.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Hedera Helix posted:

Clearly the answer is to go back and play every Final Fantasy game ever released, in order, including the spin-offs, and write about it.

I did this, minus the writing part, as a way of sort of testing my nostalgia and removing the rose-tinted glasses. Most of the older games are still good though FF4 is a lot shorter than it seemed as a kid. I can probably finish it in a weekend now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Fiesta needs to start now, damnit.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

FF7 is a great game dude, but it's also the most over-rated game in history.

My favorites are 1, 4, 6 and 11, with 7, 9 and 10 as runner-ups.

Also, people say "your first Final Fantasy game is your favorite", and that's bullshit because my first one was FF8.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I remember using vanish then x-zone on every boss I could in FFVI. Then I realized I had hosed myself out of an esper when I did it to doom gaze. :negative:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Barudak posted:

Is it even possible to find Awful Fantasy anymore? Links on the original comedy goldmine article seem to be broken.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is it even possible to find Awful Fantasy anymore? Links on the original comedy goldmine article seem to be broken.

There should be a separate hosting site that still has it available if you search that name. At least it did about a year ago when I last checked. If it doesn't exist I'm sure somebody else has the files laying around who has hosting, its like a 2 mb file tops.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Hey, I just met you and this is crazy, but I hate you

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Gammatron 64 posted:

FF7 is the most hyperbolized game in the world.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Someone willing to sign me up for the fiesta (hard mode)? I'd setup a twitter account for it but :effort: as I wouldn't make any other use of it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Someone willing to sign me up for the fiesta (hard mode)? I'd setup a twitter account for it but :effort: as I wouldn't make any other use of it.

Honestly, it doesn't take long to set up a Twitter account for this, and I'm not planning on using mine for anything beyond this either.

But if you're really not feeling it, you could always just use Random.org to roll randomly for your jobs using the following list:

1. Knight
2. Monk
3. Thief
4. White Mage
5. Black Mage
6. Blue Mage
7. Mystic Knight
8. Red Mage
9. Berserker
10. Summoner
11. Time Mage
12. Beastmaster
13. Ranger
14. Geomancer
15. Bard
16. Ninja
17. Samurai
18. Dragoon
19. Dancer
20. Chemist

Just roll 1-6 for the Wind Crystal, 1-11 for Water, 1-16 for Fire, and 1-20 for Earth. (I tested it a minute ago and it came up with 4, 8, 9, and 5 in that order. Now that would be an interesting challenge.)

For those who want to just do a regular mode run, just do 1-6 for the Wind jobs, 7-11 for Water, 12-16 for Fire, and 17-20 for Earth.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Evil Fluffy posted:

For what it's worth you also have to use your twitter to get your jobs at each crystal. So even if someone makes one for you, you then have to ask them to tweet all the crystals for you.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Just rolled Thief/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Ninja using the hard mode rules. If only...

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Evil Fluffy posted:

I just signed up for Twitter to participate. It takes a few seconds sign up for Twitter and the fiesta.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

NewtGoongrich posted:

I just signed up for Twitter to participate. It takes a few seconds sign up for Twitter and the fiesta.

Same here. Now if it would only start. I'm getting antsy, I wanna know my jobs!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

So has revenantkioku's run started yet or is that tonight?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So has revenantkioku's run started yet or is that tonight?

I think his run is supposed to start at midnight on the 15th (Japan Standard Time, for... some reason I'm not sure of) which was about 8 hours ago. Whether it actually did or not, I can't tell since I can't find any indication of it at least.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Dragonatrix posted:

I think his run is supposed to start at midnight on the 15th (Japan Standard Time, for... some reason I'm not sure of) which was about 8 hours ago. Whether it actually did or not, I can't tell since I can't find any indication of it at least.

Its starts at like some godawful early hour EST tomorrow.

edit: "WE ARE CLOSING IN ON THE START TIME! ABOUT 14 HOURS TO RK'S RUN (http://letsplaying.com/FF5FF/rkrun.php) $807 IN DONATIONS RIGHT NOW!" was posted 3 hours ago on the gilgabot twitter. So somewhere between 6-7 am tomorrow, maybe 8?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think revenantkioku lives in Japan, taking a look at his twitter. Might be wrong though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Looking at the current votes for his jobs, he's stuck with Blue Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon at the moment. Ranger was in the lead for awhile there, but someone out there apparently decided to be a jerk and give Geomancer a push.

So much for any chance of everyone getting to start early. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NewtGoongrich posted:

Yeah I just made an account and got registered for hardmode. Apparently I could tweet without getting the confirmation mail, which is good I guess.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I think someone did this last year and it's the reason I participated, so here's a random selection of fifteen easy mode and hard mode job combinations in case you don't want to sign up for twitter. Roll between one and fifteen on random.org then look up your number on whichever chart you prefer. Obviously if you do this your stats won't show up on the official thing, but if you're really opposed to twitter for whatever reason, here you go:

Easy mode:
1. Blue Mage/Berserker/Bard/Samurai
2. Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dragoon
3. Monk/Summoner/Ranger/Dragoon
4. Black Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon
5. White Mage/Time Mage/Ranger/Samurai
6. Knight/Berserker/Ninja/Dragoon
7. Monk/Time Mage/Ranger/Samurai
8. White Mage/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Chemist
9. Blue Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon
10. Monk/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist
11. Monk/Red Mage/Ninja/Chemist
12. Monk/Summoner/Bard/Chemist
13. Black Mage/Berserker/Ninja/Samurai
14. Blue Mage/Time Mage/Ranger/Samurai
15. Blue Mage/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai

Hard mode:
1. Monk/Summoner/Black Mage/Time Mage
2. White Mage/Thief/Knight/Mystic Knight
3. Black Mage/White Mage/Geomancer/Bard
4. Knight/Black Mage/Summoner/Beastmaster
5. Blue Mage/Thief/Ranger/Time Mage
6. Blue Mage/Black Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai
7. Thief/Mystic Knight/White Mage/Samurai
8. Thief/Berserker/White Mage/Dragoon
9. Black Mage/Mystic Knight/Time Mage/Geomancer
10. Thief/Blue Mage/White Mage/Geomancer
11. Monk/Thief/Berserker/Monk
12. Thief/Knight/Time Mage/Time Mage
13. White Mage/White Mage/Black Mage/Blue Mage
14. White Mage/Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Dancer
15. Monk/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Blue Mage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

My favorites are 1, 4, 6 and 11, with 7, 9 and 10 as runner-ups.

Also, people say "your first Final Fantasy game is your favorite", and that's bullshit because my first one was FF8.

The first one I played was 1, and the first one I beat was Mystic Quest. I played 4 and 6 a lot as a kid, but I still say 12 was my favorite :colbert: