Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Will Bootcamp partition a hard drive with data already on it? Or will it wipe the whole thing clean when it partitions? It's been quite awhile since I did a partition, and last time I did I had to format the entire drive.

Boot Camp Assistant non-destructively shrinks your current boot volume to make room for a Windows partition. Backing up is still highly advised, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I tried to use bootcamp it said I needed to use disk utility and do repair permissions and whatnot. I did that and then it worked fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Where are the screenshots of Win7 bootcamped at 2880x1800?

kr0nus
Nov 14, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Where are the screenshots of Win7 bootcamped at 2880x1800?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Oneiros posted:

Boot Camp Assistant non-destructively shrinks your current boot volume to make room for a Windows partition. Backing up is still highly advised, though.

That's cool... I've been meaning to get Windows on my Mac for awhile now, this info helps

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Odds are you can go in and set resolution to 1440x900 or whatever you want and all will be well, if blocky, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Odds are you can go in and set resolution to 1440x900 or whatever you want and all will be well, if blocky, right?
1440x900 won't be blocky since it's double the native res. Any other res, however, won't be as sharp.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

About to buy the 2012 Macbook Air 13 base model. Is the upgrade from 4 to 8 gigs worth $100? It seems like it wouldn't be for the things a typical consumer would use the Air for, which I think would be similar to me: Office suite productivity, light photoshopping, watching HD shows/movies on a TV through the display port. The 4 gigs of ram aren't upgradeable later so that is a factor too. What do you think?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mikey triumph posted:

About to buy the 2012 Macbook Air 13 base model. Is the upgrade from 4 to 8 gigs worth $100? It seems like it wouldn't be for the things a typical consumer would use the Air for, which I think would be similar to me: Office suite productivity, light photoshopping, watching HD shows/movies on a TV through the display port. The 4 gigs of ram aren't upgradeable later so that is a factor too. What do you think?

It doesn't limit me, I'm not running out to sell my 2011 and for the new one becuase of the RAM - but for $100 I'd do it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It really depends on how long you keep your stuff. If it's going to be yours for the next 3-4 years, spring $100 on the extra RAM. If you flip every year 4GB will be fine (and if it's not just get 8GB when you flip it.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mikey triumph posted:

A fine purchase, but you're going to get asked - is there a reason you're going with the Pro over the Air? The screen is substantially worse, fyi.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

1440x900 won't be blocky since it's double the native res. Any other res, however, won't be as sharp.

Is there some kind of image processing that only happens in OS X? The reviews say 1680x1050 looks just as good as the native screen on the 'old' Pro.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mediaphage posted:

A fine purchase, but you're going to get asked - is there a reason you're going with the Pro over the Air? The screen is substantially worse, fyi.

He is getting the Air. The Pro's screen is 'better', it's just lower res.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

He is getting the Air. The Pro's screen is 'better', it's just lower res.
I think he just missed a "not" in there. "Is there a reason you're not going with the Pro over the Air?"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Are the shipping times in Apple's web store just pulled out of someone's rear end or actually accurate? My Air finally shipped just now (it quoted me 24 hours to ship when I ordered on Monday, but fair enough: I probably wasn't the only one ordering so I can understand why it'd take a while to get going), but now my "4-8 day shipping" is telling me to expect delivery on the 28th of June. Which would be amazingly slow since it's coming from Holland to Finland.

It's a bit poo poo if it'll really take that long considering our local stores got "plenty of stock" today and I could've walked in and bought one tomorrow...

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Der Shovel posted:

Are the shipping times in Apple's web store just pulled out of someone's rear end or actually accurate? My Air finally shipped just now (it quoted me 24 hours to ship when I ordered on Monday, but fair enough: I probably wasn't the only one ordering so I can understand why it'd take a while to get going), but now my "4-8 day shipping" is telling me to expect delivery on the 28th of June. Which would be amazingly slow since it's coming from Holland to Finland.

It's a bit poo poo if it'll really take that long considering our local stores got "plenty of stock" today and I could've walked in and bought one tomorrow...

Well, you could buy one and return the one you ordered.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

El Duke Silver posted:

Well, you could buy one and return the one you ordered.

I'm not gonna be doing that. I just want to know if the two weeks from now they quoted me is in people's experience when deliveries are actually made or just a worst case "if the mail man actually has to walk to your house through a war zone, don't sue us!" kind of estimate.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Could be worse. Mine is not shipping until the second week of July.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.

mikey triumph posted:

You really ought to spring for it... I did, at least. Considering Mountain Lion and that you'll have this for years, it makes sense. The only problem is that you have to order it--my Apple store didn't have 128 Gb/8 Gb RAM configs in stock.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

spaceship posted:

:psyduck:

I think I figured it out. I ordered at the education price, so I'm getting the 80 euro giftcard. And apparently this and my Mac ship from different locations and will be combined at some other location.

Now here's a question: considering my gift card is a code I enter into iTunes, why the hell are you shipping it, Apple?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I think he just missed a "not" in there. "Is there a reason you're not going with the Pro over the Air?"

Nope! I'm just tired and stupid, and misread it as MBP instead of MBA. :downs:

Forbidden Kiss
Apr 28, 2004

Cavalier Eternel

spaceship posted:

Mine as well. I really hope it's a gross over-estimate.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Forbidden Kiss posted:

Mine as well. I really hope it's a gross over-estimate.

It will be most likely, mine was a 5-7 business days till ship on Monday, it shipped today from China and will get to me by Tuesday says FedEx, I would wish that it would get to me by tomorrow but ya know, physics and all that.

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012
My Macbook Pro was working fine today until the screen flashed three times.
Then a black box appeared saying I needed to restart the Mac. Why would it do that?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

CaptainMidnight posted:

My Macbook Pro was working fine today until the screen flashed three times.
Then a black box appeared saying I needed to restart the Mac. Why would it do that?

Because it wants you to restart, obviously

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Bad driver? Failing hardware? Rubbed your testicles too vigorously on the vents and clogged the fan with a pube?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

echobucket posted:

Are you running Ghostery or NoScript or any other javascript blocking software? I've found I have to allow "Omniture" on apple.com to get their stuff to work when I'm running Ghostery.
I've noticed that too on other sites, there's a few useful things like that in Ghostery's list that you have to watch out for. Off the top of my head some other ones are Disqus (although considering most comments that's not a bad thing...) and Brightcove which is used as a video player.

Bob Morales posted:

Is there some kind of image processing that only happens in OS X? The reviews say 1680x1050 looks just as good as the native screen on the 'old' Pro.
According to the Anandtech link posted a while back it's kind of doing FSAA basically, like it renders in HiDPI mode (to give you extra detail) then scales down to the screen, which would explain performance hits at the other settings. So if that's true, at 1920x1200 it's actually giving you 3840x2400 scaled down to 2880x1800 (rather than 1920x1200 scaled up).

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012

spaceship posted:

Because it wants you to restart, obviously

That still doesn't answer the question.
Wouldn't the genius bar go wild over you.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I'm currently running a Late-2008 MacBook Pro 15" with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 4 gigs of ram and a GeForce 9400M 256 MB graphics card. It's getting quite sluggish (probably also a result of only having 20 GB free on the harddrive).

How much of a result would I get by getting 4 more gigs of ram and a bigger harddrive - is it worth it or should I spring for a new MacBook Pro? I'm starting school in September, where I'll probably need to use it for some Photoshop and InDesign work, if that helps.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CaptainMidnight posted:

That still doesn't answer the question.
Wouldn't the genius bar go wild over you.
Google search "kernel panic." That's what happened to you.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For a good, more specific reason, go to the Console app, and look at the logs to see what happened at that time, and google anything that looks like it could be the reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

I'm currently running a Late-2008 MacBook Pro 15" with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 4 gigs of ram and a GeForce 9400M 256 MB graphics card. It's getting quite sluggish (probably also a result of only having 20 GB free on the harddrive).

How much of a result would I get by getting 4 more gigs of ram and a bigger harddrive - is it worth it or should I spring for a new MacBook Pro? I'm starting school in September, where I'll probably need to use it for some Photoshop and InDesign work, if that helps.

Free hard drive space has literally zero impact on performance.

You could add more RAM, it's cheap. But do you need it?

If you want to speed it up you're going to need to add a solid-state hard drive. It will make it 'oh poo poo' faster.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Eight Is Legend posted:

4GB of RAM and an SSD will make a pretty huge difference. How big is your current HDD? Switching to a 128/256GB SSD and pushing all your non-critical stuff onto an external drive will go a long way to fixing the sluggishness you described.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Eight Is Legend posted:

I just put the 750 GB Momentus XT (7200 RPM + 8 GB SSD) in my late 2008 13" unibody and it was a surprisingly nice upgrade from the stock 5400 RPM drive. I have 8 GB of RAM in here already, but I don't think it gets used to full capacity all that often. I do have to say that the noise a 7200 RPM drive makes is taking some getting used to (even though it doesn't take much in the way of ambient noise to drown it out).

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

ptier posted:

It will be most likely, mine was a 5-7 business days till ship on Monday, it shipped today from China and will get to me by Tuesday says FedEx, I would wish that it would get to me by tomorrow but ya know, physics and all that.

Unless you're a filthy Canadian, then the estimated dates seem a lot more feasible, especially considering the Canadian Store didn't come online until one or two hours later than the American one (and everyone else).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Daric posted:

I'm still getting the old style because I can upgrade it myself for cheap whereas with the other one I'm stuck forever.

I hear ya. I've been waiting for the new MBP for a long time, but after some sober consideration, I simply can't give up my 27" iMac and tolerate the trade offs with this new one. 11" Air ordered.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

So my new 11-inch Air has shipped, I got the confirmation email from Apple about 13 hours ago. However the link to track the shipment doesn't work; the TNT page says the consignment number can't be found.

Any Aussie goons had experience with TNT? Are they just incredibly slow to update their tracking pages?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ShoeFly posted:

So my new 11-inch Air has shipped, I got the confirmation email from Apple about 13 hours ago. However the link to track the shipment doesn't work; the TNT page says the consignment number can't be found.

Any Aussie goons had experience with TNT? Are they just incredibly slow to update their tracking pages?

Golly if only there was a company that you could call with questions about the status of a shipment.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Best Buy got a bunch of retina pros in today. A lot of people have had luck walking in and purchasing them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Also, I found a way to run the retina pro in FULL res, instead of scaled mode -

Download and install the trial for Switch Res X:

http://www.madrau.com/indexSRX4.html