Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

venutolo posted:

Well, I guess I know where I'm eating lunch today (or at least sometime this week). Love me some bibimbop.

They're closed Wednesdays so just make sure you don't go tomorrow. That would be disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"GRANDMA NEEDS A BREAK"

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

"GRANDMA NEEDS A BREAK"

I went for lunch today and got a nice laugh from that. I enjoyed what I had. Thanks for bringing that place up.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
From the Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop Facebook page:

quote:

Dear Super Pan Fans: As of today, Tuesday May 15, 2012, Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop is closing its current location at Pura Vida. While Super Pan has received great press & reviews, and has wonderful loyal customers, the foot traffic in the area is not enough to support the high labor, high food cost concept in its current location. Chef Hector is currently looking for investors to partner with to move Super Pan to a new location with much higher foot traffic. We hope to find a new location where Super Pan can be a full-blown Latino bakery & coffee shop as well as Sandwich Shop, open for breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner. Stay tuned. And remember... Pork Belly Buns & Tofu Buns are available at Pura Vida. Torta de Pollo can be found in a burrito on Saturday's at El Burro Pollo. Hope to see you all soon!

Too bad. I hope they find a new location and have expanded hours.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

From the Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop Facebook page:

Too bad. I hope they find a new location and have expanded hours.

fucccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
So I have done a search on Restaurant Eugene and Woodfire Grill, but was wondering if anyone had an updated opinions?

I will be going to one of them on a Saturday, and its not really my choice where we go, but I can definitely influence the decision making process. The one caveat is that one member of my group does not eat pork. The non pork eater really loved H+F.

Thanks!

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

beefnchedda posted:

So I have done a search on Restaurant Eugene and Woodfire Grill, but was wondering if anyone had an updated opinions?

I will be going to one of them on a Saturday, and its not really my choice where we go, but I can definitely influence the decision making process. The one caveat is that one member of my group does not eat pork. The non pork eater really loved H+F.

Thanks!

I went to Restaurant Eugene a couple weeks ago for dinner with a friend. The entire experience was fantastic and the service was absolutely excellent. We didn't drink any alcohol and the cost was roughly $80 per person. They do bring out a lot of little random things from the kitchen that the chef has decided to whip up, free of charge, and they bring out three courses of different types of bread for chrissakes.

They're willing to accommodate any dietary restrictions if you let them know at the time of making the reservation, so your non-pork eater friend can be accommodated no matter what they order, as the Chicken Ballotine I ordered had some pork.

I would highly recommend ordering the "Salad." It's listed very unassumingly but it was the best salad I've ever had in my life.

Hope this helps!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Here are a few pictures from the whole hog class at Pine Street Market:

I rather enjoyed the class. The class ran from 10am to about 12:45pm and cost $100. The class began with a quick introduction to the shop and what they do. Along with the two main production guys at Pine Street Market, Rusty (also owner and head guy) and Kyle, was Andy Gonzales (current chef/GM at Steinbeck's, formerly of South City Kitchen, Spice Market, and Augustine's if I recall correctly).

As the guys went through the process of breaking down the hog, they'd talk about what they were doing, where the different cuts of meat come from, and described their technique. Andy would also describe why different cuts of meat were used for different things in the kitchen, which was a nice addition to have someone talk about the practical, in-kitchen uses of the various cuts, and why you'd use the cuts in a particular case (fat content, connective tissue, etc).

About halfway through the process, there was break for the attendees to snack on some salumi and cheese and drink the beer/wine/water provided while the guys skinned the pig.

Later on in the breakdown process the attendees got to cut some pork chops, which we'd get to take home. After the hog was broken down, we were given some pork belly, a large quantity of salt and brown sugar, and access to their various seasonings so we could prepare our own bacon for curing.

After that, Andy demonstrated how to make porchetta (second picture). After that we ate a previously-cooked porchetta for lunch (third picture). Along with the porchetta was some really tasty collard greens that had a good amount of pork, and more beer/wine/water. The porchetta was great. I loved the crispy pork skin on the outside.

After lunch we took home two of the pork chops we cut (unfortunately not necessarily the actual ones each individual cut themselves), and we'll be able to pick up our bacon this weekend.

I really enjoyed the whole class and would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in food that extends beyond just eating good food. The cost may be $100, but that includes the salumi and cheese snack, porchetta and greens lunch, craft beer or wine, two pork chops, and bacon, which probably accounts for more than half of the cost.

Pine Street Market just posted two more classes (sausage making in June, whole hog in July) if anyone is interested.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I tried Sprig out today and drat if it wasn't better than it was priced. The highlight was a banana pudding for dessert that was infused with some kind of bourbon flavor and made with homemade vanilla wafers. I highly recommend it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Yay look what just opened near me. I should go by tomorrow morning.

http://scoutmob.com/atlanta/scoutfinds/3846

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

I tried Sprig out today and drat if it wasn't better than it was priced. The highlight was a banana pudding for dessert that was infused with some kind of bourbon flavor and made with homemade vanilla wafers. I highly recommend it.

interesting location - the menu looks good though!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Just throwing this out there if anyone is interested:

Bleu House Market, where I eat lunch nearly every weekday and a place I adore, is having another backyard BBQ event ("backyard BBQ luau style") next Saturday (16th from 1 to 5pm). If I recall correctly, the plan is to have some BBQ pork (and probably other BBQ stuff) with some Hawaiian- and Cuban-influenced sides. They don't have a liquor license, but that doesn't mean there won't be some alcohol. Last time they had a pony keg or two of some SweetWater and also made some sangria, which was free. There will also be some live music of some sort.

I'll mention this here in case anyone is interested and doesn't read the Atlanta threads in LAN and Goon Meets forums: I have an extra Childish Gambino ticket for Sunday night's show (8pm at Tabernacle). If anyone wants it, it is yours.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
man, this is like a weekend of good shows. mogwai was playing tonight though I didn't go, but prob gonn go see xiu xiu tomorrow at the earl.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm assuming you're all voting on July 31st. If not, you really should consider it. because gently caress traffic, and hurray beltline.

http://untieatlanta.com/the-solution/

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I'm assuming you're all voting on July 31st. If not, you really should consider it. because gently caress traffic, and hurray beltline.

I will be, but I need to get my information changed since I just moved. The registration deadline is July 2nd.

I only have a 6 mile or so commute, but Ponce sucks.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

mindphlux posted:

Have you been on a Ponce City Market tour yet? It's fantastic (and free)!

http://www.poncecitymarket.com/home

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Webbeh posted:

I work across the street from there. How do I make a tour happen?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Safety Dance posted:

I work across the street from there. How do I make a tour happen?

Watch their Facebook or Twitter, they'll put up tour dates on there and registration links.

I don't know if they'll be doing any more between now and the T-SPLOST vote.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Webbeh posted:

no, I'll have to check that out.

man, I always used to daydream about turning the ground floor of that place into a farmers market to rival dekalb's

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Does anyone know of a good place in or near atlanta that sells pork belly? I've been getting mine from weinerz on atlanta rd, and while amazing its pricey and they take like 4 weeks to fill my order. I'm tempted to try one of the random mexican or Asian markets, but i'm a little wary due to some of the reviews. Online+delivery would be pimp as well.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

godzirraRAWR posted:

Does anyone know of a good place in or near atlanta that sells pork belly? I've been getting mine from weinerz on atlanta rd, and while amazing its pricey and they take like 4 weeks to fill my order. I'm tempted to try one of the random mexican or Asian markets, but i'm a little wary due to some of the reviews. Online+delivery would be pimp as well.

I found 3 lbs. slabs at Your Dekalb Farmer's Market for a very reasonable price.

kontona
May 3, 2003

i normally just buy mine at either Buford Hwy Farmer's Market or Hong Kong Market.

one time my friends and i made samgyeopsal and bought pork belly from H-Mart as well.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dekalb farmers market. eden farms pork belly, poo poo is heritage amazing berkshire pork, with a great meat to fat ratio. usually pretty cheap too.

You rated this thread '5'! Great job, go hog wild!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If you want any particular cut of pork, you can call up Pine Street Market to get it. They get their pigs in on Tuesdays, so you'd need to be in touch with them before that to request your cut of pork. Obviously you can find more common cuts of pork elsewhere, but if you want something less common, Pine Street Market should do you well.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Last weekend I mentioned that my favorite place was having a BBQ. I didn't know it was part of a larger festival this weekend. So if anyone is interested:

From http://www.aplacetoimagine.com/bluesberry-festival:

quote:

Fresh locally grown blueberries (and homemade blueberry ice cream!), a mini beerfest with cornhole competitions, and an exciting line-up of authentic blues artists are on this year’s BluesBerry Festival slated for June 16th in Downtown Historic Norcross.

Here's the scoop:

10am-closing
Local shops are open with blueberry treats to sample while you shop

11:30am-closing

Downtown restaurants hosting blueberry chef specials to eat and sip (ever had a blueberry margarita or mojito? Yum!) 45 South Cafe and the Bleu House Market are both open for a bluesberry breakfast; other eateries open for lunch and dinner!

noon-6pm
Roast Pig Cuban/Hawaiian Luau, live music, incredibly good things to eat & sip! $5 - $6 a plate plus free sides to choose from...eat outdoors at one of our picnic tables or come inside with the air conditioning! Bleu House Market 62 College Street

4pm-10:30pm
Mini Beer Fest featuring local Atlanta breweries. Tickets and wrist bands for sale the day of the event only. Iron Horse Tavern 29 Jones Street

5pm-6:30pm
Little G Weevil

7pm-8:30pm
T-Grease Johnson

9pm-10:30pm
Truett Lollis

The music and the fresh blueberries will be located in the parking lot of Betty Mauldin Park, located next to the Iron Horse Tavern.

Sponsoring Breweries:

Monday Night Brewing Believe it or not, the idea for our brewery grew out of a small Atlanta Bible study. We started brewing beer together on Monday nights as a way to get to know each other better. We spent almost 5 years perfecting our Eye Patch Ale and Drafty Kilt Scotch Ale before bringing them to market. Our Eye Patch Ale is a crisp, drinkable IPA – sweet caramel, citrusy flowers and swashbuckling adventure abound with every pint. Our Drafty Kilt Scotch Ale is a dark, malty bombshell of a beer, with hints of smoke and chocolate.

Red Hare Brewing Company opened its doors to the public on September 2, 2011. As Marietta's first and only craft brewery, we have a 20 barrel brewhouse and 220 barrel fermenting capacity. We have three year round brews: Long Day Lager, Gangway IPA and Watership Brown Ale, as well as a limited edition series called Rabbit's Reserve.

Sweetwater Brewery "Don't Float the Mainstream" February 17, 1997 marked the official beginning of SweetWater Brewery, and a new style of brewing and selling beer in Atlanta as the boys wandered around Atlanta in an old van with Freddy’s dog Badger. After ending up on the wrong side of the tracks a few times, they were finally pointed in the direction of Virginia-Highlands and found a few bars willing to take a chance on them. “We’ll give you a shot as long as your dog stops begging for leftovers on our patio” was the cautious approval they needed to get the brand rolling. Let's plan on pouring 420, Blue and IPA, plus we'll have a branded cornhole set.

Terrapin Beer Company introduced its first beer, the Rye Pale Ale in April of 2002. Six months later while only available on draft in Athens, Terrapin’s sole offering won the American Pale Ale Gold Medal at the 2002 Great American Beer Festival. These days John and Spike are enjoying Terrapins new 40,000 square foot brewing facilities and taking advantage of the space to brew new innovative and exciting beers. The year round line up now includes the Rye Pale Ale, Golden Ale, and the Hopsecutioner. Terrapin has also released many other beers and garnered several awards both in the U.S.A and internationally.

I'll be at the BBQ at Bleu House Market. Aside from what is mentioned, they'll also have free beer and sangria.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Blegh. Sounds pretty cool, but Norcross.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Was on my way up, work called, sitting inside at home working. loving gently caress

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

godzirraRAWR posted:

Was on my way up, work called, sitting inside at home working. loving gently caress

I'm about to head there. I'll tell Bryan you can't make it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I'm about to head there. I'll tell Bryan you can't make it.

I think I saw you today at peachtree farmers market at the farm burger stand confirm/deny.

didn't want to go and be like 'hey you post on the internet right' but

got some lovely chanterelles~! for a lot of money :(

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I think I saw you today at peachtree farmers market at the farm burger stand confirm/deny.

didn't want to go and be like 'hey you post on the internet right' but

got some lovely chanterelles~! for a lot of money :(

Yep. That was me. I'm awful with faces, so I'm sorry I didn't notice you.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Yep. That was me. I'm awful with faces, so I'm sorry I didn't notice you.

naw it's cool, we only met irl once at noni's while goddin was cookin, for like 2 seconds in the dark. and I don't even think I said I posted on the forums then. wouldn't expect you to recognize me :ninja:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

naw it's cool, we only met irl once at noni's while goddin was cookin, for like 2 seconds in the dark. and I don't even think I said I posted on the forums then. wouldn't expect you to recognize me :ninja:

I could be wrong, but I think we also met at a goon meet at my house eight or nine years ago. If I recall correctly, you have an uncommon first name, and if I had heard the Farm Burger people call it out, I would have looked around. Oh well. Next time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I finally tried Richard Blais's new restaurant, the Spence. It was very, very loud on a Friday night - even worse than Abattoir was when it first opened. We had 9:30 reservations, so it began to quiet down as people left - but man.

The food was pretty solid, though a little pricey for the content. Lots of small plate for $14-16 dollars, that I really thought were more $8-10 worth of effort/product. But, I liked everything I had, and the wine list was interesting - though also slightly pricey for the content. ohwell, I'll go back I'm sure!

THIS RIVETING REVIEW BROUGHT TO YOU BY MINDPHLUX

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Oh hey, another Atlanta thread! I'll give my opinion on stuff on my side of town (Marietta/Vinings/Cobb).

Canoe, Vinings - No question, my favorite restaurant in the entire metro area. I recommend the rabbit and the kick rear end she crab soup. Cocktails are also top notch.

Atkins Park, Smyrna - Dinner here is great and so are the cocktails but I'm a big brunch person and their brunch menu is amazing and very reasonably priced. Crabmeat eggs benedict, fantastic grits, wonderful hashbrowns. All of that for under $30 including drinks for me and my wife.

Miyako, Mableton/Austell - Best sushi and hibachi on this side of town. Their sushi is always very fresh and they come up with new and interesting special rolls on a regular basis.

Harry's Farmers Market/Whole Foods Marietta - I work around the corner from this so I will go there for hot lunch or salad about once a week. The selection of hot foods and salads can range from weird, vegan stuff I usually stay away from (but admittedly I've tried a few things that were really good) to the aptly named Sinful Scalloped Potatoes. It's priced by the pound so you can get whatever you want. Some of the dishes are also available in the cooler to take home and heat up later.

Green Lotus, Mableton/Austell - Consistently good Chinese take out/delivery. Fast and cheap.

I'd also like to mourn the passing of a former favorite in the area, Fortunato's. It sold out to a new owner. It sucks now. Former winner of CL best pizza in Atlanta and now it tastes like cardboard...sigh...

Has anyone ever done the tour at Sweetwater? I was thinking about going sometime soon.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I did the Sweetwater tour a couple weeks ago. The tour itself is pretty bland and takes away from drinking time. For :10bux: you get six drink tickets plus a pint glass to take home with you. The lines can get pretty long but it's a pretty good afternoon of drinking.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

WaterIsPoison posted:

I did the Sweetwater tour a couple weeks ago. The tour itself is pretty bland and takes away from drinking time. For :10bux: you get six drink tickets plus a pint glass to take home with you. The lines can get pretty long but it's a pretty good afternoon of drinking.

I did the tour last Friday and I have the exact opposite opinion, but it may be because I love the history and future goals of a brewery. I've taken the tour about 3 times and last time I took the final tour of the night (the one at 7pm). This was extremely worth it because if you stayed until the end, the guide let us have a free glass of beer from the tap upstairs of stuff that wasn't available downstairs. I love SweetWater.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

enthe0s posted:

I did the tour last Friday and I have the exact opposite opinion, but it may be because I love the history and future goals of a brewery. I've taken the tour about 3 times and last time I took the final tour of the night (the one at 7pm). This was extremely worth it because if you stayed until the end, the guide let us have a free glass of beer from the tap upstairs of stuff that wasn't available downstairs. I love SweetWater.

yeah, I gotta say - I'm not a huge fan of sweetwater's actual beers, but I really enjoy the tour. I've taken it probably 10-12 times, and like seeing the stuff they change every time I take it. I haven't been back since they started work on their expansion though, so I imagine that's particularly interesting.

*nerd note : I brew beer, and have ambitious half-baked plans to begin a food/beer-related business.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
All of this week The Brickstore is having their 15th anniversary. There is a guest chef each night and they are tapping some special kegs and casks. Tonight is Iberian Pig and some aged ales. Saturday looks interesting with Empire State South and Leons.

http://www.brickstorepub.com/events/

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
When they say Belgian sours does that mean Lambics or what?

edit: I wish they'd give some indication of the sort of food they're gonna have, though. Most of their booze doesn't appeal to me.

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

When they say Belgian sours does that mean Lambics or what?

edit: I wish they'd give some indication of the sort of food they're gonna have, though. Most of their booze doesn't appeal to me.
Lambics in addition to Flanders Red and Brown ales. Explained in a wine analogy, the Fanders reds and browns would be your red wines while lambics and other fruit sours are your white wines.

I'll also qualify my statements re: Sweetwater tour that I went on a Saturday afternoon where the tour was extremely crowded (60+ people). They really only showed us the bottling system, took us out back to explain their expansion and then took us into the freezer. We didn't get to see any of the brewing process itself. Maybe I should go on another day?

mindphlux posted:

*nerd note : I brew beer, and have ambitious half-baked plans to begin a food/beer-related business.
As someone who recently started homebrewing, are there any decent homebrewing clubs in the area?

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 26, 2012