Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

haljordan posted:

If Jay Mariotti is the sportsworld's biggest douchebag, AJ ain't that far behind.
Remember, Daulerio decided Deadspin wasn't sleazy enough for him so he moved on to become the Editor in Chief of Gawker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
The only pressing concern that deadspin article left me with was why the gently caress did deadspin want Mariotti in the first place? A universally despised commentator in his downward spiral was sought out by an up-and-coming media mogul to play the role of the disgraced-but-reforming good guy down on his luck? What the gently caress?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BackInTheUSSR posted:

The only pressing concern that deadspin article left me with was why the gently caress did deadspin want Mariotti in the first place? A universally despised commentator in his downward spiral was sought out by an up-and-coming media mogul to play the role of the disgraced-but-reforming good guy down on his luck? What the gently caress?

Why not take the meeting? When it inevitably doesn't work out you can publish the details and people will eat it up.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember, Daulerio decided Deadspin wasn't sleazy enough for him so he moved on to become the Editor in Chief of Gawker.

I'd imagine Daulerio also got a raise out of that arrangement. I've yet to hear of him doing anything expressly reportorial for Gawker though.

Deadspin has continually brought in the undersold or damaged to supply coverage (remember Tim Donaghy giving NBA reffing critiques?) and it's one of the avenues that makes it consistently readable. Their Tell Me When It's Over series has been great once the ex-athletes stop talking about their relationships with Jesus Christ.

What Deadspin wanted, in all likelihood, was additional dirt about ESPN in first-person columns. Mariotti doesn't want his name attached to the brand, so he begs off. That's nice, but no other outlet is going to give him another job.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Today Deadspin is headlining with an unnecessary hit piece about Erin Andrews's apparently crumbling career prospects, complete with quotes from anonymous TV executives and anecdotes about how they don't let her on Good Morning America anymore because she mispronounced Buffalo Bills and made a couple other flubs. Glad to see their misogynistic obsession with every blonde female ESPN employee didn't leave with Daulerio. :ughh:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Erin Andrews in particular seems to draw a lot of weirdly vitriolic coverage.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I guess we can go through this all again, but when Deadspin publishes [X salacious/stupid piece] it is doing so because it gets hits, and hits are the fuel that power that empire. The Erin Andrews piece had over 25,000 more hits since 8:20 this morning than any other piece published afterwards (last I checked, none had broken 10, with the Andrews piece over 35K)

And pieces like that open up their ability to go with slow-burn in depth articles like this: http://deadspin.com/5915913/athletic-shawn-johnson-retires-how-gymnastics-talks-about-bodies-in-code

Daulerio's a sleazy journalist but he also pretty obviously knows what he's doing as an editor

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's pretty much every sports media's angle. Type up dumb poo poo, get people riled up. 1000 comments is 1000 comments. Anything from "Is this random guy going to be the #1 pick instead?!" and whatever the gently caress Jemele Hill decides is racist.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Yeah, unfortunately we live in an age where being lovely is a sound business strategy. The reason Deadspin sucks is because they both understand and fully embrace this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mornacale posted:

Yeah, unfortunately we live in an age where being lovely is a sound business strategy.

I love that Pirates fan is saying this. If anybody knows how sound a business strategy being lovely is, Pirates fans do.

Sigh.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
When I used to be an editor for my college paper, I was covering the Capital One Bowl in Orlando and it was the year that there was an absolute downpour and the field turned to mud immediately. Erin was down on the field the whole game getting soaking wet and after it ended she happened to file into the same elevator as me. This guy in the elevator turns to the douchey radio guy next to me and says some smalltalk intro like, "Hell of a rain we're getting, huh?" and the douchey radio guy motions towards Erin and says, "At least we weren't down there on the field." Erin turns around, stares him in the eye for three seconds but seemed like 30, and said, in the coldest voice I've ever heard, "Everybody's a loving comedian, aren't they?" and right on cue exited stage left. It was the most incredibly timed, most badass exchange I'd ever witnessed.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Anonymous TV executive is right though. I'm an Erin Andrews fan but she should be more than simply a sideline reporter and her performances in other areas have not been great.

Of course, ESPN could've invested more into making her a studio host but they seem bent on finding the next New Hotness, which will hurt them in the long run.

Some other network will scoop Andrews up and find themselves very happy with the work that she does.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crion posted:

I guess we can go through this all again, but when Deadspin publishes [X salacious/stupid piece] it is doing so because it gets hits, and hits are the fuel that power that empire. The Erin Andrews piece had over 25,000 more hits since 8:20 this morning than any other piece published afterwards (last I checked, none had broken 10, with the Andrews piece over 35K)

I don't think there is anyone who doesn't get this, they just still think it's really lovely. Which it is.

Honestly I think I would care slightly less if Deadspin didn't do stuff like this while simultaneously trying to crusade against mainstream sites for their lack of journalistic ethics or whatever.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 15, 2012

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Bryce Harper, conservative hero

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

That reads like an union article, drat.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Anonymous TV executive is right though. I'm an Erin Andrews fan but she should be more than simply a sideline reporter and her performances in other areas have not been great.

Of course, ESPN could've invested more into making her a studio host but they seem bent on finding the next New Hotness, which will hurt them in the long run.

Some other network will scoop Andrews up and find themselves very happy with the work that she does.

I wonder if there's more to the story than her being a mediocre host. From seeing her behind the scenes of Dancing With The Stars, she seemed like she could be very abrasive. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Holy poo poo that Bryce Harper article

quote:

Manager Davey Johnson tries to bench him for being hurt, and Harper confronts him and says, like a person with enough dignity to refuse welfare: Let me work.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

hcreight posted:

Today Deadspin is headlining with an unnecessary hit piece about Erin Andrews's apparently crumbling career prospects, complete with quotes from anonymous TV executives and anecdotes about how they don't let her on Good Morning America anymore because she mispronounced Buffalo Bills and made a couple other flubs. Glad to see their misogynistic obsession with every blonde female ESPN employee didn't leave with Daulerio. :ughh:

That could also be an ABC exec trying to gain leverage in negotiating her contract.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I think my favorite part is the comparison of lazy, good-for-nothing Jason Heyward and hard-working, industrious Bryce Harper. No racial subtext there at all, no sir.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

The Pussy Boss posted:

I think my favorite part is the comparison of lazy, good-for-nothing Jason Heyward and hard-working, industrious Bryce Harper. No racial subtext there at all, no sir.

Allow me to pretend to be the author of that article and respond to your post.

"Woah there, I didn't even know Jason Heyward was black! You, sir, are the true racist!"

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
That Bryce Harper article is atrocious and a reflection of what any politically biased "viewpoint" publication does when it tries to enter the sports sphere.

The Big Lead reported yesterday that Sports Illustrated and SI.com will be laying off people. Nothing is sacred.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MourningView posted:

I don't think there is anyone who doesn't get this, they just still think it's really lovely. Which it is.

Honestly I think I would care slightly less if Deadspin didn't do stuff like this while simultaneously trying to crusade against mainstream sites for their lack of journalistic ethics or whatever.

Deadspin's editorial ethos amounts to "get hits and work within that framework to, when you can, do decent long-tern work so Crion can make posts like he just made to justify getting hits in the first place" so that doesn't really bother me, I'm more bothered by them kind of being used as the exact sort of negotiating flack they described in the beginning of the piece (and probably knowing that, and not caring)

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

seiferguy posted:

That reads like an union article, drat.

How dare you compare this article, clearly written by an industrious, independent-minded American, to union propaganda? :911:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

And the rebuttal: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/bryce-harper-9805894

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Ha I just realized that the Daily Caller is the same website that sent a journalist to a press conference at the White House last Friday to interrupt Obama's speech. Stay classy, Tucker Carlson!

edit: Holy poo poo, what an incredibly racist article. That in and of itself isn't anything new, but the fact that they don't even really try to disguise it is pretty shocking. Next time, they should just title the article "WHITE PEOPLE ARE INDUSTRIOUS, BLACKS ARE LAZY PIECES OF poo poo."

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 18, 2012

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
That rebuttal is great. Charles Pierce so thoroughly destroys that article.

Back to Deadspin (since we all know it's going there anyway), their newest regular series is getting good in a hurry. I particularly loved this line, which amounts to a simple throwaway in the piece:

quote:

He had a charity, too, which was simply a front to pay his family members (as most athlete charities are)

Could be wrong, but pretty sure that's against the law on multiple fronts.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh good, something more current than year-old Heyman tweets with an obvious racial subtext that I can use for tie-ins with Scorekeeping.

Also goddamn that article is terrible.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

That rebuttal is great. Charles Pierce so thoroughly destroys that article.

Back to Deadspin (since we all know it's going there anyway), their newest regular series is getting good in a hurry. I particularly loved this line, which amounts to a simple throwaway in the piece:

Could be wrong, but pretty sure that's against the law on multiple fronts.

They could just title the article "Why I Lie: Because I Get Paid A Disgusting Amount Of Money" and leave it at that.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
You're not enthralled by the lengths that these people go to? Because I am. PR people are the worst.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

You're not enthralled by the lengths that these people go to? Because I am. PR people are the worst.

poo poo, from reading that article it seems like everyone could use a PR guy. Not just athletes. Someone to lie to your wife for you, someone to smooth over bar fights. Hmm...

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Rick Reily is an idiot part 32437998

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/06/18/rick-reilly-bet-that-tiger-woods-would-win-the-us-open-on-friday/

quote:

Write it down. At 2 p.m., PT, Friday, Tiger Woods took the Open lead and never looked back. … Bet me.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Well Rovell is now ESPN's problem

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/06/20/darren-rovell-is-leaving-cnbc-for-espn/

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Sorry to Go There but I think the literal text of that Harper article is loving stupid enough that we don't need to bother reading into the subtext. Yes I agree there is a 99% chance that dude is racist but there is a 1000% chance he is a total moron so

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

St. Louis Post-Dispatch featured sports columnist Bernie Miklasz:

A Dumb Person posted:

These mistakes happen way too often. I know Matheny is inexperienced, and I try to always keep that in mind. It's not as if we're expecting him to be Bobby Cox in his first season of managing at any level. But there's no excuse for having signals missed, or misinterpreted. There's no excuse for failing to concentrate. It's just sloppy baseball that reflects poorly on Matheny, his coaches, and veteran players. Small ball? More like smell ball ... because these mistakes stink.

PEE PEE DOO DOO

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

That's the face of a man who loves ham.

Drew Margary: Probably Not Going to the Heat Victory Parade

quote:

I know that last night was supposed to be LeBron James's face turn and that, while he warmly celebrates his first title with teammates and family, I'm supposed to see LeBron in a whole new light. Maybe he's not such a bad guy. Maybe this playoff run has brought out a depth of character heretofore unseen in James. Maybe he's cool now.

Nah, gently caress all that. He's still a cocksucker.

quote:

Oh, bullshit. There's never been any question that LeBron James is a great basketball player. And even when he was coming up short in the playoffs, haters like myself just used those failures as an easy excuse to pile on him further, because he's a dipshit and he deserved it. The fact that he's won a championship doesn't fundamentally alter his character in any way. That's the great con of sports: the idea that winners win because they have character and losers lose because they don't. If you think LeBron is a good guy now because he won a title, then you probably had no business thinking he was a bad guy to begin with, because the outcome of a sporting event says nothing about the person within.

quote:

All that fan hate was helping to keep his worst qualities at bay, I tell you. I bet you LeBron James is buying into his own bullshit redemption storyline more than anyone else. "It's a great moment for myself," he said. Yes yes, it's all about YOU and your road to salvation, isn't it? YOU BIG SMILING PENIS. Don't ever ask me to be happy for that cocksucker. I hope Kevin Durant sprouts bat wings and wins the next 37 NBA titles.

So basically Lebron James is worse than Hitler?

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 22, 2012

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Here's a pretty great video. Mark Cuban takes the First Take crew, and sports media as a whole, to task on their sensationalism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI

Stephen A Smith doesn't say a single word throughout the video. :stare:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Oh my god, thank you for posting the whole thing. I saw a clip with the highlights, but this is a million times better. Just put Mark Cuban in charge of every team in every sport.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

haljordan posted:

So basically Lebron James is worse than Hitler?

Sad to see a writer become lazy and gimmicky.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Copernic posted:

Sad to see a writer become lazy and gimmicky.

I mean honestly, he acts like Lebron is the first and only famous athlete with an ego. What the gently caress is so hateable about Lebron? OK, The Decision was obviously stupid and unnecessary, but who gives a poo poo? It was three years ago. You hate him because he's supposedly selfish? Well maybe that's because he played in loving Cleveland for seven years with a group of guys who couldn't buy a basket. So pathetic. And god forbid he says winning an NBA title is a "great moment for himself." I mean, its only been year after year of useless ayeholes like Drew Margary writing about how terrible Lebron is and how he'll never win a title. Let him enjoy it for five seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

haljordan posted:

I mean honestly, he acts like Lebron is the first and only famous athlete with an ego. What the gently caress is so hateable about Lebron? OK, The Decision was obviously stupid and unnecessary, but who gives a poo poo? It was three years ago. You hate him because he's supposedly selfish? Well maybe that's because he played in loving Cleveland for seven years with a group of guys who couldn't buy a basket. So pathetic. And god forbid he says winning an NBA title is a "great moment for himself." I mean, its only been year after year of useless ayeholes like Drew Margary writing about how terrible Lebron is and how he'll never win a title. Let him enjoy it for five seconds.

Also he wanted out of Cleveland because every time he put on that uniform he was reminded that Delonte West banged his mom.