Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think that's the first time I've seen one window both sides of the block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The best part is how it takes a sec to scroll down...

"Okay we've got a head, a blo....oh"

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
So how peppered with holes was the starter?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

This is awesome. Like IOwnCalculus, I looked at it for a second thinking "What the hell is that gree...oooohhhh."

Here's one I can safely post now, been a few years since it happened. Reg numbers obscured to protect the innocent, even though the plane's in completely new livery now and not even in the country anymore:

Saab 340, for the non-aviation guys.

Wee bit of a problem with the downlock on that right MLG. Apparently there is a bizarre sequence of maintenance events that will allow the whole mechanism to go up over center past where it really belongs, allow you to install the gear pin, and apparently still support the weight of the plane as long as it's stationary or being towed forward. The collapse happened when the tug driver went to push it backward into a parking spot.

I'd been working under that same wheel well for a good portion of the day repairing a wire harness. I still shiver a little bit when I think about the possibilities.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Was looking for something else and this turned up. I think a few of these dyno disasters have shown up in here, but lots of new content as well. Lots of fun, and terrible terrible tie-down setups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzFGUUR1UDI

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Boat posted:

Was looking for something else and this turned up. I think a few of these dyno disasters have shown up in here, but lots of new content as well. Lots of fun, and terrible terrible tie-down setups.

Ah, the poor Blue Meanie (the blue Commodore)

The red Commodore one was funny. "It's still moving, get a fatter bastard to sit on on the boot opening"

You Am I fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 16, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:stare:

Is that a KA24? Too much doriftu?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Boat posted:

I would love to meet the man who thought that the right place for a dyno was above head height. Even with the easier underbody access, they still manage to fail to secure the vehicle!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Or the one who said "yeah, let your entire family walk all over the platform" or "hey I think I'll stick my hand in the engine while this comically large turbo spins up."

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Godholio posted:

"hey I think I'll stick my hand in the engine while this comically large turbo spins up."

That one had me puzzled

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Boat posted:

Why do people sit on the back of the cars while they are being dyno'd?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

c355n4 posted:

To try and press them into the rollers more.

"Fat blokes" is a valid unit of measurement for torque at the wheels.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I like the diesel at the end. Just watching it made me feel like I had just smoked a whole carton of cigarettes, I can't imagine what it must have been like in that room. Lung cancer anyone?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The one at 2:40 is the best. The guy running the dyno just calmly looks over at the car when it dies.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Boat posted:

This is why I am thoroughly terrified of performance forced-induction.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

c355n4 posted:

Because a couple of fat dudes in the trunk is a valid upgrade for any RWD performance car.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Where did that giant turbo come from? I've driven semis and they don't have ones that big. One of those huge 2-3 story earthmovers maybe?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
The red NSX about halfway through the video was my neighbor in the early 2000's. He was running a 150 shot of nitrous and that was their first WOT pull. Didn't go so well. So he ended up spending around $40k on rebuilding the engine with all forged bits and having a twin turbo kit installed.

At 9psi he ran low 10's at the local drag strip and was kicked out for not having a cage on his first visit. I rode in it right before I moved to CA and it was the fastest most ridiculous thing I've ever been in. He took it up to around 170 (or so...the speedo started wiggling and wasn't reading properly over 150) on the _highway_ and that was enough for me.

More money than sense.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

To try and press them into the rollers more.

"Fat blokes" is a valid unit of measurement for torque at the wheels.

I like that it doesn't work the first time, and the apparent thinking is "We need some FATTER blokes!"

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Krakkles posted:

I like that it doesn't work the first time, and the apparent thinking is "We need some FATTER blokes!"

but luckily being an Australian mechanics some especially fat blokes were easily found.

tobu fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 17, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Yeah, don't bother tightening that strap, just get your buddy to sit in the trunk.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
What's happening with the ones that just have a little puff of smoke and stop? Melting a piston/blowing every gasket?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

What's happening with the ones that just have a little puff of smoke and stop? Melting a piston/blowing every gasket?

Headgasket more than likely, a lot of tuners do all the performance parts but then forget to do engine infrastructure like headbolts, proper performance headgaskets, and connecting rods.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Headgasket more than likely, a lot of tuners do all the performance parts but then forget to do engine infrastructure like headbolts, proper performance headgaskets, and connecting rods.

Simple. Adding stronger head or connecting rod bolts doesn't directly make more horsepower, even if they are actually necessary for the engine to survive at the new power level.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Simple. Adding stronger head or connecting rod bolts doesn't directly make more horsepower, even if they are actually necessary for the engine to survive at the new power level.

Yeah, and when someone thinks like this, they just need to step away from the car...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
See also: Not finding out what the correct torque is with the new fasteners.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

See also: Not finding out what the correct torque is with the new fasteners.

Well if they use ARP like everyone else (who can properly build a performance engine), they come with a little piece of paper TELLING you what to torque to and the procedure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Doesn't mean they're going to read it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CommieGIR posted:

Well if they use ARP like everyone else (who can properly build a performance engine), they come with a little piece of paper TELLING you what to torque to and the procedure.

This would mean they'd have to pick up a torque wrench.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nm posted:

This would mean they'd have to pick up a torque wrench.

Torque wrenches are your friend.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Torque wrenches are your friend.

It looks like a Rotax with air cooled modular heads, but I didn't think they made a 6? Please tell me it is out of a motorcycle or some crazy air cooled GAZ, and not from what I think it's from.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Falkenbok posted:

It looks like a Rotax with air cooled modular heads, but I didn't think they made a 6? Please tell me it is out of a motorcycle or some crazy air cooled GAZ, and not from what I think it's from.

Corvair

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Krakkles posted:

Friends used to complain about an unfair advantage in illegal straight line racing when one guy who used to put his fat girlfriend in the right rear seat for traction.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Friends used to complain about an unfair advantage in illegal straight line racing when one guy who used to put his fat girlfriend in the right rear seat for traction.

They're idiots that need to go back to high school physics. Extra weight may improve the frictional force, but it also reduces acceleration proportionally, unless you don't have the horsepower to accelerate the increased mass equally, then it hurts :v:. Best-case is equal acceleration, unless she's there for "launch control".

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
She jumps out as soon as the wheels stop spinning.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

She jumps out as soon as the wheels stop spinning.

in that case, shes a loving trooper

e: content!

my old celica gt. long story short, i didnt give two shits about it, so when someone backed into it and damaged the hood latch, i "fixed" it by "sealing" the gap at the front of the hood with duct tape. it actually lasted for about a year until fate decided that i had gotten too cocky and decided to wreck my world. the hood flipped up and completely destroyed the windshield, and hit the leading edge of the roof so hard that it bent back and slapped the sunroof, taking that out too.

more of a failure on my part, but still rather unpleasant.

grumplestiltzkin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 19, 2012

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
A few years back, I had a Civic with a carbon fiber hood that I didn't latch down securely. It's amazing how drat fast a carbon fiber hood appears out f nowhere and smacks your windshield at 50 mph.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
At that speed it has suction pulling it towards the windshield when it starts to move, right?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Saw this at the local scrapyard today. British electronics, best in the world mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You have a paved junkyard?

Does someone hold your hand, keep a parasol over your fair skin and do your nails after removing the part for you as well?