Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Herr Zealot posted:

Unless you're a filthy Canadian, then the estimated dates seem a lot more feasible, especially considering the Canadian Store didn't come online until one or two hours later than the American one (and everyone else).

I am a filthy Canadian, and I can't figure out what in the name of Diefenbaker you are talking about with regard to shipping dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

withak posted:

Golly if only there was a company that you could call with questions about the status of a shipment.

Thanks for the helpful reply! Because that wasn't the first thing I tried.

Apple says the shipment is with TNT, the TNT call centre rep just used the same online database anyone can access, and then said it should be up soon. That was several hours ago.

I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with TNT in Australia, in case this was abnormal.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

spaceship posted:

Also, I found a way to run the retina pro in FULL res, instead of scaled mode -

Download and install the trial for Switch Res X:

http://www.madrau.com/indexSRX4.html

I feel great resentment towards my eyes, so I shall download this as soon as I get mine.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

spaceship posted:

This is a lot of fun... And what I'd imagine using Windows is like on this display.

Everything is still perfectly clear, assuming you have superman vision.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ShoeFly posted:

Thanks for the helpful reply! Because that wasn't the first thing I tried.

Apple says the shipment is with TNT, the TNT call centre rep just used the same online database anyone can access, and then said it should be up soon. That was several hours ago.

I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with TNT in Australia, in case this was abnormal.

I know this isn't really helpful, but MTAU general opinion is that TNT is loving shocking and your only hope is to get used to it.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

strangemusic posted:

I am a filthy Canadian, and I can't figure out what in the name of Diefenbaker you are talking about with regard to shipping dates.

I too am filthy, and I was referring to everyone mentioning the over-estimations in Apple's automated shipping calculation on their store and how I don't really see that wide-spread among Canadian buyers so far. I could be wrong and Apple could have a fleet of snow dogs hiking up droves of Apple products to us as we speak.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
GENERALLY things being tracked don't show up for 24 hours or, if 24 hours is the middle of the night, the next business day after that

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

~Coxy posted:

I know this isn't really helpful, but MTAU general opinion is that TNT is loving shocking and your only hope is to get used to it.

As long as they're loving shocking for everyone, I suppose I can cope.

Daric posted:

GENERALLY things being tracked don't show up for 24 hours or, if 24 hours is the middle of the night, the next business day after that

Ah thanks. In that case it might get delivered before appearing on the tracking site :haw:

ShoeFly fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 15, 2012

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Is that really true? I buy a lot direct from Apple for work and I live in Alice Springs of all places. They've never failed to get me stuff overnight. I can generally track it the moment they tell me it's shipped.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

Free hard drive space has literally zero impact on performance.
What? A certain percentage of free space is essential for optimal performance. A 500GB drive with only 20GB of free space will run much slower than one with 100GB free.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

spaceship posted:

Quoting this again because I have a question/request. I want to try running this with the old Xcode "Quartz Debug" tool that let you scale the DPI of fonts in OSX, but all of the newer Xcodes have the new version of this tool that replaces it simply with a HiDPI checkbox, which is not what I need. Does anyone have this old version handy that they could send to me? I installed an old Xcode 3.xx version to try and get this, but the "graphics tools" subfolder is simply not there :confused:

[nevermind]

tuna fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 15, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuna posted:

Quoting this again because I have a question/request. I want to try running this with the old Xcode "Quartz Debug" tool that let you scale the DPI of fonts in OSX, but all of the newer Xcodes have the new version of this tool that replaces it simply with a HiDPI checkbox, which is not what I need. Does anyone have this old version handy that they could send to me? I installed an old Xcode 3.xx version to try and get this, but the "graphics tools" subfolder is simply not there :confused:

If anyone has the old version handy, it'd be nice to have it sent to tcannell at...gmail.com
Last time I saw it it scaled the whole UI rather than just fonts, which is what the new screen settings seem to do (albeit with a different method which kind of gets around the fractional scaling issue).

No clue if this still works but this is basically what the Quartz Debug setting tweaked:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060119152725322

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

japtor posted:

Last time I saw it it scaled the whole UI rather than just fonts, which is what the new screen settings seem to do (albeit with a different method which kind of gets around the fractional scaling issue).

No clue if this still works but this is basically what the Quartz Debug setting tweaked:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060119152725322

Ah thanks. Yeah entering those commands changed nothing, so I guess Lion is all switched over to this new method.

I'd love to use this 2880x1800 resolution setting with larger fonts somehow but it looks like it isn't possible in OSX.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

tuna posted:

Ah thanks. Yeah entering those commands changed nothing, so I guess Lion is all switched over to this new method.

I'd love to use this 2880x1800 resolution setting with larger fonts somehow but it looks like it isn't possible in OSX.

if the UI fonts have to get bigger, then so does the UI. Obviously if you make the title bar fonts for instance bigger, then the title bar itself has to get bigger to accommodate them. I mean unless you expect your UI to work like the TARDIS or something.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've got a question re: repairs and possibly selling that is not addressed in the OP (sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, 180 pages is a lot to wade through).

So my studio has a 2009 iMac that's bricked itself. We took it into the Apple store and their response was, "the logic board has failed. $600 to replace it." It's old enough that $600 is a waste of money for us.

Question 1: Can anyone suggest a reliable repair shop that might charge less? $600 for replacing a mobo just sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. We're happy to ship it somewhere if necessary.

Question 2: If not, or if that's actually a reasonable price, we'll probably just want to sell it. Anyone know of (similarly reliable) shops that buy broken macs? Or would we be better off just hawking it on eBay?

Thanks in advance, goony goons.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 15, 2012

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Question about buying from the student Apple store.

A friend of mine has a .txt with the codes to get on all the online Apple stores for about 100 different UK Colleges/Universities. Can I get away with using one of these links to buy an iMac? I can knock a good £100 off the price this way. Will my purchase end up getting invoices to the University and screwing my plans up somehow?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Meliv posted:

Question about buying from the student Apple store.

A friend of mine has a .txt with the codes to get on all the online Apple stores for about 100 different UK Colleges/Universities. Can I get away with using one of these links to buy an iMac? I can knock a good £100 off the price this way. Will my purchase end up getting invoices to the University and screwing my plans up somehow?

As far as I'm aware, they rarely check, if ever. If they do, it's maybe 1% of the time.

kedo posted:

I've got a question re: repairs and possibly selling that is not addressed in the OP (sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, 180 pages is a lot to wade through).

So my studio has a 2009 iMac that's bricked itself. We took it into the Apple store and their response was, "the logic board has failed. $600 to replace it." It's old enough that $600 is a waste of money for us.

Question 1: Can anyone suggest a reliable repair shop that might charge less? $600 for replacing a mobo just sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. We're happy to ship it somewhere if necessary.

Question 2: If not, or if that's actually a reasonable price, we'll probably just want to sell it. Anyone know of (similarly reliable) shops that buy broken macs? Or would we be better off just hawking it on eBay?

Thanks in advance, goony goons.

Logic board replacements simply cost a ton of money and I'm not sure if there's much of a way around it. You can probably find the part online but I'd be surprised if it was anything under a couple hundred dollars, and then you'd still end up getting charged for someone to install it for you. This is purely speculation, but I'd imagine you wouldn't spend less than $400 to get it replaced altogether, and that's probably only ~$150-200 under what the computer is worth now in working condition, depending on its screen size. Throw it on eBay or Craigslist, get whatever you can for it, and put it towards a new machine, in my opinion. On the upside, it'll be a lot faster.

So I don't feel like I'm talking out of my rear end, I just did a very quick search and found that Powerbook Medic (which as far as I know is perfectly reputable) still charges $400-500 depending on if you send just the board or the whole machine.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/wordpress/2010/05/03/imac-logic-board-repair-service

So just sell it off and get a new machine, like I said. You could probably still fetch at least a couple hundred.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just threw 4GB of RAM in a co-workers aluminum Macbook running 10.5.8. Holy crap is that thing slow. Thanks lovely 160GB hard drive!

It had been on like 3 months and wasn't at like 1.2GB RAM used, so it's not like it's going to help but oh well, the RAM was just sitting here in my desk.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

What? A certain percentage of free space is essential for optimal performance. A 500GB drive with only 20GB of free space will run much slower than one with 100GB free.

That's really not true unless you're running low on RAM and your computer is using the HDD as swap space - Even then, 20GB is plenty, and having 100GB of free space as opposed to, say, 10GB, will have precisely zero impact on performance.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sulk posted:

So I don't feel like I'm talking out of my rear end, I just did a very quick search and found that Powerbook Medic (which as far as I know is perfectly reputable) still charges $400-500 depending on if you send just the board or the whole machine.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/wordpress/2010/05/03/imac-logic-board-repair-service

So just sell it off and get a new machine, like I said. You could probably still fetch at least a couple hundred.

Thanks much for the advice, much appreciated!

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Apple campus store got new MBP shipment, I see a few coworkers with them around. The IPS display looks god drat amazing.

This is the first time i've had tech lust since the nvidia 8800 series came out. But it'll also be the most expensive computer I have ever bought if I do buy it. My last laptop is a 2006 C2D refurb dell bought at 700 and it's still going strong.

Apple is a new world to me, how often are refreshes and how much do they improve every time? Will definitely wait at least a couple months for possible issues to come out.

Edit: Also does anyone have a nice fix for the sharp front edge of the macbook pro? Typing is fine but using the trackpad with the computer on my lap is just killing my palm.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 15, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Refreshes every one to two years. Sometimes amazing, sometimes minor changes. You get used to the edge after a while.

gregday
May 23, 2003

They have softened the edge since the first release.

http://www.marco.org/media/2011/09/macbook-pro-sharp-edges.jpg

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I replaced the busted rear end WD Green 2TB drive in that 27" iMac a few minutes ago. The girl who uses it says "This is the slowest computer I've ever had"

Hopefully the new 3TB 7200RPM drive helps a little.

edit: :haw:

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 15, 2012

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I replaced the busted rear end WD Green 2TB drive in that 27" iMac a few minutes ago. The girl who uses it says "This is the slowest computer I've ever had"

Hopefully the new 3GB 7200RPM drive helps a little.

Now she is going to be complaining about storage space.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Legdiian posted:

Now she is going to be complaining about storage space.

hoping he meant TB there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

OWC sends you a pretty beefy catalog with your order. Now I got some terlet readin' material

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
Just to make sure: The old C2D MacBooks will NOT be upgradable to ML, correct?

gregday
May 23, 2003

BlueTesla posted:

I have a C2D MacBook Pro running the WWDC build of Mountain Lion.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BlueTesla posted:

Looks like it's Late 2008 aluminum or newer for MacBooks: http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
There is a lot of negativity surrounding the iFixit article cropping up in reviews now and it's the last thing thats putting me off pulling the trigger.

I'd get AppleCare regardless so the cost / hassle for fixing doesn't bother me as much as it would. However, in the past AppleCare hasn't covered the battery high is pretty much guaranteed to go at some point and I don't particularly fancy spending another couple of hundred to replace that when it goes.

Anyone know if that's changed or has any other reason why it's not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be ?

Thanks I'm advance.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
AppleCare won't cover the battery worn out under normal conditions. They will only cover it if it's a defect. $200 and having to have it shipped back to them is pretty lovely to replace a battery.
http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

calcio posted:

AppleCare won't cover the battery worn out under normal conditions. They will only cover it if it's a defect. $200 and having to have it shipped back to them is pretty lovely to replace a battery.
http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

Proof that a way to replace your own battery will be available just as soon as someone figures our how Apple glued the drat thing down and makes a solvent to remove it that wont damage the trackpad ribbon cable.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Digital_Jesus posted:

Proof that a way to replace your own battery will be available just as soon as someone figures our how Apple glued the drat thing down and makes a solvent to remove it that wont damage the trackpad ribbon cable.

Its really irritating.

I've changed the battery and RAM on my current late 2008 MBP but I don't think I'd be comfortable doing anything on the new ones even if people do figure out a way.

Eugh.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Can the Apple Store at least replace the batteries, or do you literally have to ship it off in the mail to get a replacement?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The website says Battery Replacement same day at an apple store with appointment.

Pretty sure theres an easy way to replace that battery that Apple doesn't want people to know.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

a bad poster yall posted:

There is a lot of negativity surrounding the iFixit article cropping up in reviews now and it's the last thing thats putting me off pulling the trigger.

I was just thinking about how ballsy it is to ship a > $2K non-servicable computer. Then I started to marvel about how Apple's recently ~365 millionth iOS device sold, meaning they have technically been shipping, and supporting, devices with non-user-servicable RAM, and storage, and batteries for years now. They have to be pretty confident doing it in this configuration. Every time I've worried about things not being serviceable or reliable (from iPhone to Air), time passed and I got over it. Purchasing AppleCare should be a given, though.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

kuskus posted:

I was just thinking about how ballsy it is to ship a > $2K non-servicable computer. Then I started to marvel about how Apple's recently ~365 millionth iOS device sold, meaning they have technically been shipping, and supporting, devices with non-user-servicable RAM, and storage, and batteries for years now. They have to be pretty confident doing it in this configuration. Every time I've worried about things not being serviceable or reliable (from iPhone to Air), time passed and I got over it. Purchasing AppleCare should be a given, though.

I also realized long ago that Macs have great resale value. So from now on, I'm just going to make sure I buy the most ram and hard drive space I can on a new machine, along with applecare. Then when it's time to "upgrade", I'll sell it and buy a new one.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Come on Amazon, send me my Macbook Air!

The other two models are in stock and shipping now...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...i=macbook%20air

echobucket posted:

I also realized long ago that Macs have great resale value. So from now on, I'm just going to make sure I buy the most ram and hard drive space I can on a new machine, along with applecare. Then when it's time to "upgrade", I'll sell it and buy a new one.

This is a great idea actually... usually I don't sell my old computers but this is so true with Apple stuff. Apple products are so easy to compare too which is what I think helps them in terms of resale value. If I saw some HP laptop for sale I'd have no idea how good it is based on the name and model, and even then, there is no benchmark with what is good by todays standards unless you start breaking down every component that is in the thing. .

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm not saying they don't exist, but I'm certainly at a loss to to name any smartphone or tablet with user-serviceable RAM or storage (not counting expansion slots, obviously). I wish Apple weren't trying to make the analogy between iDevices and computers valid, because it isn't and it shouldn't be.