Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Four Job Fiesta begins in about 17 hours, 12 minutes.

RK's current progress: he's on the Big Bridge after escaping Castle Exdeath at the start of Galuf's World.

Party composition: Blue Mage/Berserker/Bard/Dancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Disc 2 was the best part. It got rid of that boring mediocre gameplay for the most part.

But then replaced it with the worst plot!

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
10 hours into XIII and I am continuing to enjoy it. The story is kinda strange and I skip the past cinematic, but I'm really loving this battling poo poo. I think I got past my first real boss, the Onion looking fucker in the bioweapons level. That fucker takes forever. And I don't like Hope, but Steve Harvey is pretty cool.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Since it's so close, I figure it's worth a reminder for all newcomers to the thread; CLICK HERE to head on over to the informatory post about the FF5 Four Job Fiesta everyone is talking about. No pressure on registering right away either, you can register whenever you feel like it, even after the event starts.

Also the Event Website actually has a LOG section for if you feel like recording a journal (of sorts) of your journey. You can actually tweet the GILGABOT “@FF5ForFutures #up My FF5 Story Part #1 <LINK TO SA POST>” or something like that and people viewing the event website will be able to click and be brought to your thread-post here.

I can't wait to see everyone's stories of success and despair this fiesta too. :allears:

EDIT: speaking of despair from RevenantKioku's stream (Blue Mage/Berserker/Bard/Dancer)...

quote:

Trying to learn White Wind [Blue Magic] so they used Pond Chorus [Frog Song] on the berserker to stop him from killing the enemy. Death Sickle Axe's instant death proc activates when the frog'd Berserker attacks. Thats got to be a run highlight.

:allears:

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 16, 2012

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Is it forbidden to stab your beserker to death midfight?

I know it's in spirit to keep them alive and at full health, but 3 on 1 beatdown to stop him not allowed?

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Signed up! I decided to enter on normal mode since I've never played it before. In fact I've never played any FF pre-VII, so this should be interesting! Apparently this is a bad idea for a first playthrough but it's the motivation I've been needing to actually play the drat game.

I've had it for years unplayed for GBA, but since my GBA is well and truly dead I'm playing an emulation of the GBA version on my PSP instead :v: Runs perfectly.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Happy Blue Cow posted:

EDIT: speaking of despair from RevenantKioku's stream (Blue Mage/Berserker/Bard/Dancer)...

"Trying to learn White Wind [Blue Magic] so they used Pond Chorus [Frog Song] on the berserker to stop him from killing the enemy. Death Sickle Axe's instant death proc activates when the frog'd Berserker attacks. Thats got to be a run highlight."

:allears:

I was watching the stream when that happened. poo poo was hilarious.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Is it forbidden to stab your beserker to death midfight?

I know it's in spirit to keep them alive and at full health, but 3 on 1 beatdown to stop him not allowed?

I don't think anyone would begrudge you if you were trying to learn a given Blue Magic spell, since that's what RK ended up having to do to learn White Wind.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
What is considered the best version(s) of FFV anyway?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Winks posted:

The GBA version is considered the best version.

The PSX version suffers from assorted bugs depending on what you're trying to play it on, has a poorly translated script (Wyvern translated as Y-Burn being one of the most egregious examples), and annoying load times every time a random encounter starts up.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Winks posted:

The GBA version is considered the best by most people, due to its translation, but the sound isn't as good as in the SNES/Super Famicom version. Really, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Just so long as you don't get the PSX version...

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

The Playstation translation is just full of profoundly stupid names for things. What kind of name for a final dungeon is "The N-Zone"?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

The Playstation translation is just full of profoundly stupid names for things. What kind of name for a final dungeon is "The N-Zone"?

Kind of want to write a football RPG where the last dungeon is the Endzone.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

N-Zone sounds like a 90s era ad campaign for Nintendo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hedera Helix posted:

The GBA version is considered the best by most people, due to its translation, but the sound isn't as good as in the SNES/Super Famicom version. Really, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Just so long as you don't get the PSX version...

So the only advantage for the GBA version is the translation? Wasn't there a patch that gives the GBA version the SNES version's sound/music, so you had the good translation and good music or would that stuff fall under :filez: even if it's to avoid having to get out a PSX CD for this?

Having fun watching the stream and have no idea what's going on since I can't read Japanese. :japan:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

So the only advantage for the GBA version is the translation? Wasn't there a patch that gives the GBA version the SNES version's sound/music, so you had the good translation and good music or would that stuff fall under :filez: even if it's to avoid having to get out a PSX CD for this?

Having fun watching the stream and have no idea what's going on since I can't read Japanese. :japan:

He just got the key item you need to get into the Forest of Moore, which is the second to last dungeon in the second world.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
GBA version also has bonus content. One of the pledges said he'll donate extra if people clear the bonus content, so there's something if you want bang your head on the wall for charity.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fungah! posted:

Kind of want to write a football RPG where the last dungeon is the Endzone.
Well, I dunno about a full-on "we are playing football" RPG but you could probably have a pretty good time writing a setting and story that seems completely unrelated but is secretly a really weird metaphor for American Football.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FJF Ultra Hard Mode: Berserker/Mime/Oracle/Necromancer

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't know if its even possible to beat the bonus contentnin the gba version with just four jobs. Maybe if you luck out on hard mode and get White Mage, Red Mage, Time Mage, and Beastmaster.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

FJF Ultra Hard Mode: Berserker/Mime/Oracle/Necromancer

Assuming cheating to bonus jobs early this wouldnt be that hard. Oath wipes out early game while once you start getting Dark Arts you can cast them off Oracles massive Magic Stat. Mime just casts all the spells while Berserker, as always, pretends to contribute.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Signed up for the babby version, started 5 but haven't completed it before. Just got through the windshrine so I guess it's time to close this until the 17th

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Well, I dunno about a full-on "we are playing football" RPG but you could probably have a pretty good time writing a setting and story that seems completely unrelated but is secretly a really weird metaphor for American Football.

If I was going to do this I'd probably do a Barkley: Shut up and Jam Gaiden style thing. Only I'm probably not and even if I did I can't write nearly as well as the Tales of Game's guys can

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Azure_Horizon posted:

But then replaced it with the worst plot!

They replaced your 2nd Xenogears CD with Chrono Cross? I'm sorry to hear that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Watching the playthrough and RK was stuck on Exdeath for probably an hour, finally beat it with only Faris the Blue Mage alive and less than half health. He probably wiped 20x before that. Double casting/hitting was murdering him often.

e: Oh, my bad, it took him 4 hours to get through Exdeath's castle and the fight itself apparently. :v:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 16, 2012

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Nooo, I have a shift starting exactly when the four job fiesta does. Luckily I can play all day Sunday, but dang, I wanted to play through simultaneously as a few bros did. :(

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Allan Assiduity posted:

I don't believe so, but if someone with more knowledge about IRC wants to claim #ffvfjf (or just #ffv) for the duration, that could be radical :)

As of now, RK is having some technical difficulties, right after some gameplay difficulties: getting the Main Gauche from the Fire Crystal castle (took a wrong turn).

I didn't claim the channel, but I'm sitting in #ffv on synirc if people want to hang out there during the fiesta.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

GBA version also has bonus content. One of the pledges said he'll donate extra if people clear the bonus content, so there's something if you want bang your head on the wall for charity.

Oh yes. I was already planning on trying everything possible, and you're giving me incentive to?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Super Ninja Fish posted:

They replaced your 2nd Xenogears CD with Chrono Cross? I'm sorry to hear that.

No, they just replaced it with Xenogears Disc 2. Or FF8, one or the other.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Do all classes have the ability to run in the GBA version of FF5? I'm noticing that RK's team has a faster walking speed than normal, and he doesn't have any Thieves.

And he just entered the Cleft of Dimension.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

Do all classes have the ability to run in the GBA version of FF5? I'm noticing that RK's team has a faster walking speed than normal, and he doesn't have any Thieves.

And he just entered the Cleft of Dimension.

Yep. Thief still gives you a massive speed boost, but you can run as any class.

And dang, he's zipping through this.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

der juicen posted:

10 hours into XIII and I am continuing to enjoy it. The story is kinda strange and I skip the past cinematic, but I'm really loving this battling poo poo. I think I got past my first real boss, the Onion looking fucker in the bioweapons level. That fucker takes forever. And I don't like Hope, but Steve Harvey is pretty cool.

Onion fucker is pretty beasty. He makes a re-appearance later on as a normal enemy, too.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Yep. Thief still gives you a massive speed boost, but you can run as any class.

And dang, he's zipping through this.

Oh, ok. So that's another point in favor of the GBA version, at least for challenge runs where you're not going to be using a Thief that much, or can't afford to use up an ability slot on Dash.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Imo there's no reason not to use the GBA version. The script is better, some glitches are fixed (not a lot but FF5 was pretty good on the FF glitchy scale) and to my knowledge never made anything easier like say FF4.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So pretty much the only reason to not play the GBA version is the lovely sound?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I registered #FF5Fiesta on synIRC. Hopefully some people hang out once the challenge gets into full swing, would love to have people to share stories with.

Smooglepoot
May 20, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

So pretty much the only reason to not play the GBA version is the lovely sound?

If you're referring to the stream that's up right now, his cart is busted and it's making the music sound even worse.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
rk just finished the run on his stream, the other dude commenting with him said it should be up in about 20 minutes.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Man, that secret to be seen soon is making me all impatient. I wanna know what it is, already!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hopefully it starts soon so I can actually fit some playtime in today, as I'm busy from noon on.

I know I'll be posting my experiences here and posting videos of boss battles on Youtube, even though they'll be boring for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
:siren: :siren: :siren:

FF5ForFutures ‏@FF5ForFutures
THE FIESTA IS NOW OPEN! WE ARE STARTING WITH $1001 IN DONATIONS AND @REVENANTKIOKU HAS FINISHED HIS RUN! HAVE FUN EVERYONE!

Edit: @Mega64_LP can now use the Wind Job 'Monk'. Tons of gil with nothing to buy!

Sweet, Barehanded should come in handy for my Berserker(s).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 16, 2012