Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

unruly posted:

Not sure if you're replying to me, but here's the documentation on how to setup prefetching. It's not really that hard.

And this only works if the web developer has specifically included additional code to indicate the pages to prefetch. It isn't just scanning the page for an <a> tag with the label "Next" or anything.

Does anyone have information as to how widespread the prefetching tags are in use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

kapinga posted:

And this only works if the web developer has specifically included additional code to indicate the pages to prefetch. It isn't just scanning the page for an <a> tag with the label "Next" or anything.

Does anyone have information as to how widespread the prefetching tags are in use?
I think you'll find them commonly in CMSes where the feature can be easily automated. Forums would be an excellent use of it as well.

I wonder if you could somehow, through JavaScript, add appropriate link tags to the header and have the browser actually pick up on it. That way you could have a very simple extension that provides link prefetching for pages that lack it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

unruly posted:

I think you'll find them commonly in CMSes where the feature can be easily automated. Forums would be an excellent use of it as well.

I wonder if you could somehow, through JavaScript, add appropriate link tags to the header and have the browser actually pick up on it. That way you could have a very simple extension that provides link prefetching for pages that lack it.

I was thinking forums at first, but what about the instance where the next page is having posts actively added to it? In that case, you load up page 1 and the browser caches page 2. When you finally get to page 2, 10 new posts have been added. Will the browser refresh or check in any way that the page has changed since it was pre-fetched?

Also on CMS's, I can see how it would be easy to implement, but how widespread is it actually? I don't work with them, so I'm genuinely curious.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

kapinga posted:

I was thinking forums at first, but what about the instance where the next page is having posts actively added to it? In that case, you load up page 1 and the browser caches page 2. When you finally get to page 2, 10 new posts have been added. Will the browser refresh or check in any way that the page has changed since it was pre-fetched?

Also on CMS's, I can see how it would be easy to implement, but how widespread is it actually? I don't work with them, so I'm genuinely curious.
The browser only will prefetch a page, no DOM/JS processing happens until the request is actually triggered. Basically it just dumps the page content into the cache for faster retrieval. If there are more prefetch markers, the browser isn't processing them (this could lead to an infinite request loop with dynamic pages).

As far as CMSes, you see it pretty commonly in WordPress, especially with the better themes. It speeds up paging through a blog's history. I try to use it where possible (and easy), otherwise smart use of a primed page cache can make a site feel snappier than simple prefetching, especially if you have users who are unlikely to spend a long time on a single page (see: reddit).

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

OK, seriously, what the gently caress is this?

I have a long bookmarks menu and it shouldn't be clipping onto the taskbar when I click away from it.

edit: Turning on Aero made it stop. That's a mighty retarded bug though.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 16, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Navaash posted:

edit: Turning on Aero made it stop. That's a mighty retarded bug though.

Why did you have it disabled anyway? If you don't like the glass look, you can disable the transparency effect separately.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Install Gentoo posted:

Why did you have it disabled anyway? If you don't like the glass look, you can disable the transparency effect separately.
Stubbornness.

I just upgraded to 13 because I had been still using 3 (not broken don't fix it) until I was out of nowhere getting repeated error reports upon closing Firefox which annoyed me (broken FIX IT). The menu bar is off-color now from the rest of the window but I'll live.

This incidentally happened after my first-ever serious crash with this computer that I built last August, with Diablo 3 going off the deep end and causing a looping-sound freeze. I was still able to alt-tab out of the game and close it, though (since I habitually run games in fullscreen windowed) after which the trouble cropped up.

edit: Okay it's doing it again with Aero on. Awesome.

edit: The computer was randomly taking the theme out of Aero for some reason. I've restarted the computer and will see if it sticks.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 16, 2012

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Navaash posted:

Stubbornness.

I just upgraded to 13 because I had been still using 3 (not broken don't fix it) until I was out of nowhere getting repeated error reports upon closing Firefox which annoyed me (broken FIX IT). The menu bar is off-color now from the rest of the window but I'll live.

This incidentally happened after my first-ever serious crash with this computer that I built last August, with Diablo 3 going off the deep end and causing a looping-sound freeze. I was still able to alt-tab out of the game and close it, though (since I habitually run games in fullscreen windowed) after which the trouble cropped up.

edit: The computer was randomly taking the theme out of Aero for some reason. I've restarted the computer and will see if it sticks.

Launching some older applications can switch the theme out of Aero temporarily sometimes. Some versions of Citrix Receiver do this, for instance. Do you notice a pattern of certain applications being launched when the theme switches?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Navaash posted:

Stubbornness.

Also, do a clean reinstall your latest video card drivers.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tamba posted:

It's only active when you have
"When Firefox starts" set to "Show my windows and tabs from last time"
That works, thanks.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Looking for an extension / add-on, one which hides the mouse-over preview that occurs when you hover above a link. Are there any out there?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ICA posted:

Looking for an extension / add-on, one which hides the mouse-over preview that occurs when you hover above a link. Are there any out there?

Set browser.overlink-delay to a very large number (e.g. 3600000).

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 18, 2012

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I haven't seen anyone else post about this, so I'm wondering if it's just me. When playing embedded Youtubes here on the forums, I can no longer scroll the page with PageUp/PageDn/Home/End. Usually if I click somewhere outside of the video pane, scrolling would return to normal. The mouse wheel works fine, as does the scroll bar. If I switch tabs, then switch back, everything is fine. Is there some setting I need to modify to fix this? I'm using the Fancy Forums mod, if that makes a difference.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Left Ventricle posted:

if it's just me

I've noticed it in general with either the new FF or one of the recent Flash updates. The trapping of keystrokes/mouse scroll happens on youtube, and clicking outside the video box seems to work sporadically.

I also get frequent tearing and blanked out video control bar.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ICA posted:

Status-4-Evar will do this if you would like a proper status bar the way god intended.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is anyone using Aurora 15 on Windows 8 Release Preview? The font rendering keeps changing from sharp to blurry, and sometimes flickers. I've tried a few gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode tweaks but I can't find the right number.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

~Coxy posted:

Status-4-Evar will do this if you would like a proper status bar the way god intended.

Not quite what I'm after, I want something to remove the little bit of text that appears when I mouse-over a link or image, like this-

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

pseudorandom name posted:

Set browser.overlink-delay to a very large number (e.g. 3600000).

How do I do this?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Go to about :config, find and edit that preference.

Except the thing you're complaining about isn't the thing I thought you were complaining about, so that preference won't help you. Hang on, let me look for another.

edit: Sorry, there's no way to disable title attribute tooltips. Best thing would be a Greasemonkey script that deletes them from the page.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 20, 2012

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

B-Nasty posted:

I've noticed it in general with either the new FF or one of the recent Flash updates. The trapping of keystrokes/mouse scroll happens on youtube, and clicking outside the video box seems to work sporadically.

I also get frequent tearing and blanked out video control bar.

The worst part is that it also traps media keys. If I'm watching a youtube video, I need to click out of Firefox to mute or change the volume using my keyboard. It's really fun when you click play, forgetting your speakers are turned up and the sound comes blasting out at ridiculous levels and you scramble for the mute button or volume dial and nothing happens.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ICA posted:

How do I do this?

about :config - a lot more advanced settings are accessed this way

edit: whoops, completely missed pseudorandom name's post

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 20, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

GI_Clutch posted:

The worst part is that it also traps media keys. If I'm watching a youtube video, I need to click out of Firefox to mute or change the volume using my keyboard. It's really fun when you click play, forgetting your speakers are turned up and the sound comes blasting out at ridiculous levels and you scramble for the mute button or volume dial and nothing happens.

Yeah, I'm experiencing all of this, plus frequent plugin crashes (11.3 r300 error popup messages).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Tech Report has an post with a screenshot showing the new default theme for Firefox, Australis. The new theme is designed to substantially improve performance, memory usage, and usability, and is still under development in the user experience branch. The Tech Report post compares the similarities between Australis and Google Chrome, which I think goes to show the degree to which Google's design choices aren't just aesthetic, but are functional and indeed are often the ONLY correct way to design a UI element.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

The Dark One posted:

Yeah, I'm experiencing all of this, plus frequent plugin crashes (11.3 r300 error popup messages).
Random plugin container.exe crashes? Got that too.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Flash 11.3 is a pile of crap, I've rolled back to an earlier version

Adobe anything
\/\/\/

dud root fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 21, 2012

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

dud root posted:

Flash is a pile of crap,

Fixed that for you.

And it really feels to me like Firefox 13 is much more sluggish and prone to problems than 12. How do they do this :confused:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Axiem posted:

Fixed that for you.

And it really feels to me like Firefox 13 is much more sluggish and prone to problems than 12. How do they do this :confused:

95% of my daily Firefox usage is two tabs:
One is Zendesk
Two is a mediawiki page

Almost every other day after 8+ hours of work I have to restart Firefox 14 because it is chewing up 2GB of RAM and starting to crawl doing the simplest things like clicking links.

But hey, they have a pretty cool 3D DOM viewer built into the browser these days!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

95% of my daily Firefox usage is two tabs:
One is Zendesk
Two is a mediawiki page

Almost every other day after 8+ hours of work I have to restart Firefox 14 because it is chewing up 2GB of RAM and starting to crawl doing the simplest things like clicking links.

But hey, they have a pretty cool 3D DOM viewer built into the browser these days!

Yeah, Firefox 14 uses 2GB of RAM for me no matter how many tabs I have open. I'm starting to think the memory leaks are back (or never left...I don't even know anymore as I've had RAM issues with Firefox ever since 3 started).

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Axiem posted:

They change things every release (that being the point and all). Some people have their bugs fixed, and it starts working better for them. Some people fall victim to new bugs, and it starts working worse. They try to make the latter group as small as possible, but with hundreds of millions of users, it's still going to happen no matter how well they do at it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flash update is out that resolves the recent tearing/crashing issues. For me anyway.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
That improved it a lot, but still happens if you scroll the video off the screen. Seems to fix itself a lot quicker now, so progress.

Unfortunately I still have a bug where if I load a tab in the background that has embedded flash the focus leaves Firefox (I assume it goes to FlashPlayerPlugin.exe) so I can't scroll without clicking in the window again.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
So is it worth upgrading back to Flash 11.3 with this new update? I got so sick of the issues with the previous 11.3 that I had to revert back to 10.3.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I don't think any amount of graphical glitches would make me risk using an old version of Flash.

rage2kk2
Aug 21, 2007
This flash poo poo is getting pretty annoying. Sometimes when I'm viewing threads that have embedded videos, Firefox will just suddenly decide to lose focus. After looking into it a little more I realized what was happening.

1. Open thread.
2. Read thread for a few minutes.
3. Open next page of thread (which contains an embedded video)
4. Can't scroll because I lost focus due to FlashPlayerPlugin_11_3_300_257.exe starting.

I don't remember having this issue in FF12 at all.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

I'm sure this has been asked many times over but didn't see anything for the last few pages. I used Firefox for years until the end of last year when suddenly it started getting really sluggish, especially switching tabs seemed a bit slow as if it had to load it from memory again etc. I switched to Chrome as Adblock plus was available as a extension and have been fairly happy using that for the past six months.

How are the latest versions of Firefox? I know I could download it and try it for myself, but its never slow to begin with, its always a few weeks into using it that it slows right down and requires a profile wipe to get nifty again, is the general consensus that its gotten a bit faster? My main gripe with Chrome is that although it really annoyed me at first, I grew to quite like Firefox's awesome bar and able to recall previously visited sites in just a few keystrokes and no Chrome addon really replicates it as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

rage2kk2 posted:

This flash poo poo is getting pretty annoying. Sometimes when I'm viewing threads that have embedded videos, Firefox will just suddenly decide to lose focus. After looking into it a little more I realized what was happening.

1. Open thread.
2. Read thread for a few minutes.
3. Open next page of thread (which contains an embedded video)
4. Can't scroll because I lost focus due to FlashPlayerPlugin_11_3_300_257.exe starting.

I don't remember having this issue in FF12 at all.
From another thread, regarding recently popping up flash & scroll & garbled display problems: "disable protected flash mode".

I don't know what that means though, just passing it on. :v:

rage2kk2
Aug 21, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

From another thread, regarding recently popping up flash & scroll & garbled display problems: "disable protected flash mode".

Thank you! I know this is only a temporary solution, but it works. Garbled up display/focus stealing has vanished.

rage2kk2 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 22, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alereon posted:

Tech Report has an post with a screenshot showing the new default theme for Firefox, Australis. The new theme is designed to substantially improve performance, memory usage, and usability, and is still under development in the user experience branch. The Tech Report post compares the similarities between Australis and Google Chrome, which I think goes to show the degree to which Google's design choices aren't just aesthetic, but are functional and indeed are often the ONLY correct way to design a UI element.

If this actually adds Lion compatibility before Mountain Lion comes out I'll be impressed.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Lord Dekks posted:

How are the latest versions of Firefox? I know I could download it and try it for myself, but its never slow to begin with, its always a few weeks into using it that it slows right down and requires a profile wipe to get nifty again, is the general consensus that its gotten a bit faster? My main gripe with Chrome is that although it really annoyed me at first, I grew to quite like Firefox's awesome bar and able to recall previously visited sites in just a few keystrokes and no Chrome addon really replicates it as well.
It's better overall. FF gets a little better with every release. You'll be the best judge though.

Also, fauxbar is a Chrome add-on that will do what you want. Not as convenient as being the default location bar behavior, but it works basically exactly like FF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Flipperwaldt posted:

That sounds like it turns off the sandboxing, which is supposed to be a security feature in one of the most vulnerable things you can put on a computer. I'd rather live with the very minor focus issue.