Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

HTJ posted:

It's now on Amazon for less: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005OK6VLS/ Free shipping for everyone!

256GB Samsung 830 7mm for £140. AWESOME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
When I buy a new hard drive, the first thing I do it test it.

1) write zeros to the drive
2) run "MHDD" to scan and give a visual readout of the surface of the disk.

Is there something like that I could do with a SSD?

I understanding "writing zeros" actually fills all the cells with data, and doesn't empty anything. How do I know if all the cells function?

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

I understanding "writing zeros" actually fills all the cells with data, and doesn't empty anything. How do I know if all the cells function?
Everything should be fully tested before it leaves the factory. Unless of course if your hard drive came off the assembly on a Monday or a Friday.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Xenomorph posted:

Shouldn't you write random data and compare it? Since some drive failures could cause 0's (or 1's) to be written to the drive?

TrueWhore
Oct 1, 2000

dietcokefiend posted:

Alereon posted:

TRIM should always be enabled on drives that support it, which is what Windows will do. While Sandforce controllers have industry leading garbage collection that will reduce the performance and lifespan impact of TRIM being disabled, it still won't work as well as with TRIM turned on. The reason why it isn't recommended to enable TRIM on OSX is that it's only validated to work well with the SSDs Apple ships in their systems, and may cause stability issues with other SSDs. The "best of both worlds" solution is to leave TRIM disabled, but periodically enable it and then TRIM the drive. This will restore the drive to like-new performance, but without the risk of stability issues.

The Mac Performance Guide article is a pretty good example of the kind of really bad hardware advice you see out there from people who only know enough to be dangerous, especially a risk with people whose expertise is in software.
The one caveat here is the actual manufacturer of the SSD is recommending the practice as well. This isn't exactly like the time BenchmarkReviews told its readers to run SSDs in IDE mode to get higher sequential transfer speeds :v:

Actually, the blog post by OWC refers to trim enabler 1.1 which was a hack by some kid who didn't undersand anything, basically it replaced an entire kernel extension with one from an older version of the OS. Yeah thats going to cause problems. If you patch your current version of the extension trim works flawlessly in OS X. See http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, the OWC "6G" 480GB drive just showed up.

Just pop it in and go, right?

I don't have to align partitions or anything like that? 2010 MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.7/10.8, and Windows 7 x64 will be the only things on it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Xenomorph posted:

Well, the OWC "6G" 480GB drive just showed up.

Just pop it in and go, right?

I don't have to align partitions or anything like that? 2010 MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.7/10.8, and Windows 7 x64 will be the only things on it.

All of those are 4k-aware so there shouldnt be any issues.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
My Mechanical HD took a turn for the worst, and it is too late to pay Amazon for saturday delivery, so I have an SSD showing up monday to revive my desktop. I considered getting one at Best Buy, but I was going to have to pay $200 for 120GB for one in stock at the store.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

modig posted:

My Mechanical HD took a turn for the worst, and it is too late to pay Amazon for saturday delivery, so I have an SSD showing up monday to revive my desktop. I considered getting one at Best Buy, but I was going to have to pay $200 for 120GB for one in stock at the store.

I hope you had backups and you didn't lose anything important! You will love the performance bump from the SSD. Definitely worth the wait from Amazon, gently caress Best Buy. I paid $200 for my 128GB in January. $260 for my 64GB a year before that.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

fletcher posted:

I hope you had backups and you didn't lose anything important! You will love the performance bump from the SSD. Definitely worth the wait from Amazon, gently caress Best Buy. I paid $200 for my 128GB in January. $260 for my 64GB a year before that.

I have local and remote backups :), and the drive isn't dead yet. It will boot to desktop, but it loads so slow that D3 is unplayable now.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

movax posted:

Oh gently caress, some heads in validation are going to rolllllll

This would explain the new **$100 mail-in rebate on 240GB Intel 520s** I noticed this morning.

gently caress me, I'm going to buy 2 more. AES256 be damned.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
And the crucial M4 256GB is on sale for $179 again with this code EMCYTZT1768 at newegg

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to Secure Erase my old Vertex 2 to restore the performance before I give it to someone else. I'm using PartedMagic but I keep getting a message about the Secure State being Frozen. It tells me to go into sleep mode and out to fix it but when I sleep my computer under PartedMagic it just blackscreens on wake and never comes back (numlock is dead). I've tried booting without the drive connected but after reconnecting it the driver doesn't show up until I reboot. I have hotswap enabled. I've tried using the Intel 3GB and 6GB ports on my mobo (Asus P8Z77-V).

Is there an easier to way to do this? An alternative to PartedMagic?

Who'd have thought wiping a drive could be such a convoluted process?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 16, 2012

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tunga posted:

I'm trying to Secure Erase my old Vertex 2 to restore the performance before I give it to someone else. I'm using PartedMagic but I keep getting a message about the Secure State being Frozen. It tells me to go into sleep mode and out to fix it but when I sleep my computer under PartedMagic it just blackscreens on wake and never comes back (numlock is dead). I've tried booting without the drive connected but after reconnecting it the driver doesn't show up until I reboot. I have hotswap enabled. I've tried using the Intel 3GB and 6GB ports on my mobo (Asus P8Z77-V).

Is there an easier to way to do this? An alternative to PartedMagic?

Who'd have thought wiping a drive could be such a convoluted process?

All you have to do is unplug and replug the drive (power) while PartedMagic is booted. I think you need to be in ACHI mode for that to work but it does work.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

All you have to do is unplug and replug the drive (power) while PartedMagic is booted. I think you need to be in ACHI mode for that to work but it does work.

Well it doesn't work for me. I've tried in AHCI and IDE, hot plug is enabled for that port (even tried enabling it for all ports) in the BIOS, but as soon as I unplug it the drive disappears and won't come back until I reboot. Tried with power and data cables, no difference.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 16, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

From Slickdeals, 256GB M4 for $180 + Free shipping from either the egg or buy.com.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ok, it looks like I'm going to be upgrading my current MBP rather than swapping to an RMBP for now. As far as I know, an SSD is the only good way to do that (it's already loaded with RAM). Are there any particular SSDs which would perform better in an MBP?

I'm likely looking at a 512GB, as the drive in the computer currently is 320GB and has about 50GB free, so I'm thinking 256GB would be a bit too tight for me to feel comfortable.

Cost isn't NO object, but I'm doing this instead of selling this laptop and buying a $2400 RMBP, so I'm probably willing to spend a bit more if it gets me good returns.

Edit: Although that's a smokin' deal. Should I just man up and get the 256?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just stick with the reliable brands like Crucial, Intel, and Samsung. Enable TRIM through the various means and you're golden. I have the 256 M4 in my MBP and it's great. And I like how easy it is to update the firmware.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Just stick with the reliable brands like Crucial, Intel, and Samsung. Enable TRIM through the various means and you're golden. I have the 256 M4 in my MBP and it's great. And I like how easy it is to update the firmware.

Cool. Ordered it. I also rechecked my HDD free space and I'm sitting about 134.4 free - so under 200 used, should be able to use the 256GB with no real issue.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

movax posted:

From Slickdeals, 256GB M4 for $180 + Free shipping from either the egg or buy.com.

Yep, went ahead and got this! Hoping I'm extremely satisfied with this purchase :).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This is probably a dumb loving question.

If I were building a computer specifically for being a media streamer / internet-on-the-tv box, without the need to have any sort of large hard drive on it, would an SSD like the Corsair 30GB Accelerator Series be usable? It says it's a "cache drive" and goes on at length about how it automatically caches stuff. But what if I wanted to use it as a system drive with XBMCbuntu and firefox and that was about it? The SSD is the around the price of a 500gb HD, and I really don't even need 30gb of storage.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

AlphaDog posted:

If I were building a computer specifically for being a media streamer / internet-on-the-tv box, without the need to have any sort of large hard drive on it, would an SSD like the Corsair 30GB Accelerator Series be usable? It says it's a "cache drive" and goes on at length about how it automatically caches stuff. But what if I wanted to use it as a system drive with XBMCbuntu and firefox and that was about it? The SSD is the around the price of a 500gb HD, and I really don't even need 30gb of storage.
In theory this will work, but you're paying a lot of money for features you won't use (reserved NAND and caching software). An Intel SSD 330 60GB is the same price.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Alereon posted:

In theory this will work, but you're paying a lot of money for features you won't use (reserved NAND and caching software). An Intel SSD 330 60GB is the same price.

Ah, ok, I see what you mean. But those Intel drives are up around $95 here, and the Corsair one is $79. Australia :sigh:

Edit: In theory it would work? Or it would actually definitely work, but I'd be paying too much for too little storage if the prices were unfucked? I only picked the 30gb corsair because it was the cheapest not-OCZ drive I could find.

Edit edit: or is an OCZ drive fine for this sort of application? I'm guessing not.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 17, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

AlphaDog posted:

Ah, ok, I see what you mean. But those Intel drives are up around $95 here, and the Corsair one is $79. Australia :sigh:

Edit: In theory it would work? Or it would actually definitely work, but I'd be paying too much for too little storage if the prices were unfucked? I only picked the 30gb corsair because it was the cheapest not-OCZ drive I could find.

Edit edit: or is an OCZ drive fine for this sort of application? I'm guessing not.
Just don't do this. Look around until you're able to find a non-OCZ 60/64GB SSD at a reasonable price. The Corsair Accelerator 30GB has only four memory channels so you're looking at notebook HDD levels of performance, and 30GB is a ridiculously small amount of space, since you're not even allowing enough room for a Windows installation in case you ever want to do that.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

AlphaDog posted:

:reject:

Ocz drives have been reported as higher than normal failure rates but this goes moreso for the cheap drives. I'd suggest the intel would be guarenteed more reliable (hence the suggestion).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK, no worries. I was only going to go for it if it was both faster and cheaper than a platter drive that's way bigger than I need. I'll do fine with a 500gb WD 3.5" or something. Not a problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AlphaDog posted:

OK, no worries. I was only going to go for it if it was both faster and cheaper than a platter drive that's way bigger than I need. I'll do fine with a 500gb WD 3.5" or something. Not a problem.

XBMC is significantly snappier on an SSD. Especially if you haven't set up the thumbnail cache on a network drive.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

AlphaDog posted:

It will be faster but not cheaper I suspect. Could be worth it though.

Thermopyle posted:

XBMC is significantly snappier on an SSD. Especially if you haven't set up the thumbnail cache on a network drive.

I was going to suggest just sticking with the standard drive but I suspected this might be the case.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm having a weird issue with my computer.

i5-3570k, asus p77 pro-V, 8 gigs of ram, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD is the boot drive.

I've attached a Crystal Mark Benchmark of my drive. I think it looks fine.

My problem is that it takes about 40 seconds from power on to hit the 'windows loading' screen. At which point it feels very quick again.

I assume it must be a setting in my bios that's causing it to take a long time in post. The computer sits waiting on a blinking white cursor for 40 seconds, and then it finishes booting quickly.

Anyone know what's going on?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

tijag posted:

I'm having a weird issue with my computer.

i5-3570k, asus p77 pro-V, 8 gigs of ram, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD is the boot drive.

I've attached a Crystal Mark Benchmark of my drive. I think it looks fine.

My problem is that it takes about 40 seconds from power on to hit the 'windows loading' screen. At which point it feels very quick again.

I assume it must be a setting in my bios that's causing it to take a long time in post. The computer sits waiting on a blinking white cursor for 40 seconds, and then it finishes booting quickly.

Anyone know what's going on?
Your board is probably waiting on checking for devices connected to an additional SATA controller. You could disable any extra device controllers you don't need (don't have drives connected to), and it should resolve itself. Probably a better idea to disable quickboot and it should give you some more diagnostics about what's going on though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Hey. considering pulling the trigger on a SanDisk 120GB Extreme SSD Solid State Drive - 2.5". Is it a good buy for $129?

I know I said earlier but I just want to restate, it's quality more than capacity which is important to me. By quality I mean reliability. Access speed is another massive bonus.

If it is a good drive, and they aren't charging like $50 p&h I'm going to grab it because I'm so loving sick of this poor little Toshiba notebook drive rattling away in its neat little mesh USB case, causing occasional issues with other USB devices.
My USb drive is meant to be doing USB drive things. Not being used as a main HDD so I want to fix this ASAP. Just don't want to be getting a dud replacement.

I'd rather ask usually very experienced others on SA than hunt through the sleazy depths of questionanle forums for info.

To reinstate, is it a good buy (For Australia) or can I do better?

edit: for U.S. residents just assume a 1:1 ratio for exchange rate.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 18, 2012

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I assume you're looking at Scorptec. Look at PCCaseGear as well, as they have it for the same price but are usually cheaper for freight.

I haven't heard anything about the drive, but I've been tempted as well. SanDisk have a generally good rep for memory cards and the like, but I can't seem to find any 'real world' opinions on these drives.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

I just ordered a new laptop and can't decide whether to go with a 120GB mSATA SSD + HDD for storage or just a 256GB SSD.

256GB is plenty for me, and if drive lifespan is really not an issue, I'd rather not deal with the (slight) headache of having two drives and keeping all of my configurations straight. On the other hand, it is nice to have a separate data drive if you want to wipe out the OS and start fresh.

I'm so indecisive. Just wondering if anyone could offer their personal opinion or experience.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I went with the single 256gig SSD and like it a lot. I never need to have every file with me. I have a big external at home for media stuff.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

You can always partition your 256GB drive so that your OS is separate from your other stuff, then it's basically like having two drives anyway and you can still wipe the OS without fear of losing other poo poo (unless there's an actual hardware fault).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

I assume you're looking at Scorptec. Look at PCCaseGear as well, as they have it for the same price but are usually cheaper for freight.

I haven't heard anything about the drive, but I've been tempted as well. SanDisk have a generally good rep for memory cards and the like, but I can't seem to find any 'real world' opinions on these drives.

Haven't looked at scorptec. That was actually through mwave. I can pretty much rule out MSY because they are kind of ...messy. It looks like in person or nothing for them. MWave offers postage.

Anyway I need some informed opinions here.

Totals for the same SSD. Standard postage option:

MWave: $148.50
PC Case Gear: $138
Scorpion Tech: $143

I don't know the rep of these stores so I assume cheapest isn't necessarily best.

Which seems the best option?
The variance in price of the actual SSD is roughly $0.01 between stores.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
MSY have the Sandisk Ultra & Extreme SSDs. 120GB is $125 or $129. I'm using a 240Gb version which hasnt had any problems. The pricing on the 480Gb is also good, ~$1/Gb

edit: pickup only for MSY as you say

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

dud root posted:

MSY have the Sandisk Ultra & Extreme SSDs. 120GB is $125 or $129. I'm using a 240Gb version which hasnt had any problems. The pricing on the 480Gb is also good, ~$1/Gb

edit: pickup only for MSY as you say

That's about what the special price for the 120gb works out at which isn't bad. I'd have a ~600km round trip to the nearest MSY so no that's not happening to save $4.

So are any particular of the stores I listed (or one I didn't) preferable? I want to do the transaction tonight. Just after my last reply the computer locked again. Pretty sure that's storage or USB related. Losing a little work because of that is annoying but the glacial reboot is awful.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
After upgrading to a better SSD I tried to use my old original Agility as a data drive. Under AHCI mode or Windows 7 or the full moon or some other poo poo that changed the drive started to throw write errors and eventually disconnect itself. I figured I should update the firmware before I throw it in the garbage disposal and the process of doing that required 4 different updates in sequence, including one special one because my drive didn't work with the standard update tool (all of which I had to download from their forums because their website only has the latest), a second windows install, and like 15 reboots. Also it required I wipe the drive first.

I'm not sure how I got by this long with this drive, maybe it behaves better under IDE/WinXP but I'm pretty sure I'm never buying anything from OCZ again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

General_Failure posted:

Haven't looked at scorptec. That was actually through mwave. I can pretty much rule out MSY because they are kind of ...messy. It looks like in person or nothing for them. MWave offers postage.

Anyway I need some informed opinions here.

Totals for the same SSD. Standard postage option:

MWave: $148.50
PC Case Gear: $138
Scorpion Tech: $143

I don't know the rep of these stores so I assume cheapest isn't necessarily best.

Which seems the best option?
The variance in price of the actual SSD is roughly $0.01 between stores.

I've used both Scorptec and PCCG many times. In my experience PCCG ship faster. I've never had problems do I can't speak for their customer service - I've never needed it. Scorptec support is pretty decent but they overcharge freight and sometimes take days to actually ship.

• Locked thread