Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I'm pretty sure I'm just not playing the game right at this point. I'm at the desert of the shifting sands, and thus far I've only used black magic for 98% of everything, with the occasional Haste/Slow/Gravity. I haven't even caught anything yet, though I was going to catch a dhorme chimera for the Sandworm fight but I just couldn't stay alive long enough to catch it. Once I have better Time spells I'll use those more, but right now I'm not having any real issues just nuking things with magic and the appropriate boosting staff.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Gilgabot seems to be busted, he hasn't given out jobs in over 20 minutes now.

I got Thief as my wind job, haven't really has any trouble at all. Garula took me a couple of tries until I got Mythril Knives for everyone and had the sense to use the back row. This is also the first time I've ever used the "memory" setting for the cursor in FF.

e: somehow, I knew I was going to get a Berserker. :arghfist::saddowns:

Star Platinum fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 16, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Star Platinum posted:

Gilgabot seems to be busted, he hasn't given out jobs in over 20 minutes now.

I got Thief as my wind job, haven't really has any trouble at all. Garula took me a couple of tries until I got Mythril Knives for everyone and had the sense to use the back row. This is also the first time I've ever used the "memory" setting for the cursor in FF.

Yeah, it's been almost an hour now, and I just broke the Earth crystal, so I'll wait to keep going until it starts back up. It's a sign I should take a break, at least.

ETA: Ahhah, if you check your list on the players page, it has your jobs, so it's just the tweeting part that's broken. I got Samurai thank GOD, I desperately needed physical damage. I was only able to kill Archeoaevis by using my Beastmaster's plain old Whip to gradually whittle down his second form while using everyone else to spam potions/pheonix downs/buffs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
White Mage for my first job. At least healing won't be a problem I guess. Was really hoping for blue mage. Still three more chances since I'm going hardmode. :toot:

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
I got the Black Mage from the Wind Crystal and the Summoner from the water crystal. Seems like I got lucky so far.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Reading about all these runs makes me wish I had scheduled myself off today. Oh well, we'll start things when I get home. What job will I get for Wind, I wonder?

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Got Black Mage from the Water Crystal, so the next section will be easy at least.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gilgabot posted:

@WT_Fits can now use the Fire Job 'Ninja'. Now everyone has two weapons!

3/3 on actually getting jobs from each Crystal despite Hard Mode. Wonder if I can actually get an Earth job from the Earth Crystal?

Metajo
Nov 1, 2006

Created by R-Force Software
Your Console Sucks
Thief first job, and on bezerker risk pretty much guaranteed 2 bezerkers at this point, this is going to be fun...

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Started with Blue Mage. So far, this has not been a challenge at all! At least, compared to last year's challenge where I started with White Mage.

Just got the Hiryu, so it's off to get my next job!

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Heading up the mountain to find a....dragon? Think I over levelled myself, Siren didn't get to turn undead after a bit of grinding.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Got Blue Mage myself... I hope my luck continues. Forgot how powerful Blue magic is in this game.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

ShadeofDante posted:

Got Blue Mage myself... I hope my luck continues. Forgot how powerful Blue magic is in this game.

Being able to attack with 100% damage from the back row is really nice too.
and it looks like I get Thief for the fire job.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Just finished Archeoaevis with a party of RDM/THF/BRD/RDM let's see what my final job is...

quote:

@Gyoru can now use the Earth Job 'Dragoon'. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No. It is neither.
Oh. :geno:

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
My first job is white mage :woop: Last time I played FFV was a few years ago and I don't remember much, so I'm glad I got a good job!

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
3rd job is Ninja. At least I can deal physical damage without summoning a bird now.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
No Berserker risk, got one anyway.

Blue/Bers/Rang/???? so far. The only stumbling block so far has been Liquid Flame, and that was only until I remembered Blue Mages could equip/break Rods.

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
That's enough for now. Started with Thief and didn't really have any issues until the Magissa fight (had to level up). Defeated Garula by the skin of my teeth (everyone dead except Faris at 11hp). Rolled a Berserker shortly after, think I'll come back to this tomorrow.

Any tips for the Liquid flame without any magic?

subujun fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 16, 2012

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Ugh Thief and Time Mage, atleast I can bust rods for the tough bosses.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Got to Walse, got Frog Song, just managed to steal away the Elf Mantle, then beat Garula with little effort and got my second job...

BERSERKER :gonk:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aww yeah let's do this.

:whatup:

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Mystic knight for my last job, on top of Thief, Blue Mage and Berserker. Nothing to make any class utterly broken (not counting that the Blue mage is broken by itself- Lv 5 death, dark shock and death claw for everyone!), but a pretty goddamn powerful combination.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rasamune posted:

Got to Walse, got Frog Song, just managed to steal away the Elf Mantle, then beat Garula with little effort and got my second job...

BERSERKER :gonk:

How'd you get frog song and steal a mantle?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

You have until the end of August.

Thanks. Might be able to finish before that :-)

Currently Goblin Punching my way to victory.
Another question; When you get your second job can you set up your party however you like as long as you have at least one of each class? For eksample: Blue mage, blue mage, summoner, summoner?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Evil Fluffy posted:

How'd you get frog song and steal a mantle?

Frog Song from the Elf Toads in the back room of Walse Castle, the Elven Mantle from the treasure chest in the basement where the Jackanapes is.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got Knight for my first job! I've only beaten FFV once before but this will be fun I think.

subujun
Mar 31, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

Another question; When you get your second job can you set up your party however you like as long as you have at least one of each class? For eksample: Blue mage, blue mage, summoner, summoner?

Yes, so long as you have at least one of the jobs on someone at all times you're golden.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rasamune posted:

the Elven Mantle from the treasure chest in the basement where the Jackanapes is.

As long as you're using the GBA version, this is of course super easy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, there is a monster that you can steal Elf Mantles from.

But it's in the Phoenix Tower, after the worlds merge. And it's a rare steal, too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

As long as you're using the GBA version, this is of course super easy.

Do tell.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Walk->Quicksave->Continue->Repeat

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

^^thanks!

Oh snap, I just got time mage for my second job after black mage. This is going to be a walk in the park.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Just got my second job. After having to use White Mage for my first job I'm looking forward to my next job.

Oh wait it's also White Mage. Time to level a shitload I guess. :suicide:

e: White Mage/White Mage/???/??? if I get a 3rd (let alone 4th) White Mage I'm going to be so pissed.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Close one! But I got the two good items from the castle.

Blue Mage and Mystic Knight were my first two jobs. What the heck is a Geomancer?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Evil Eagle posted:

Blue Mage and Mystic Knight were my first two jobs. What the heck is a Geomancer?

From FF wiki:

quote:

¡Job Command - Gaia
¡Innate Abilities - Find Pits, Light Step
¡Equipment - Knives, Bell

The Gaia command is very useful, especially in the hands of a spell caster. It has a random effect, based on the current location's environment and the caster's level. The effects caused by the command vary, causing something as simple as minor damage to inflicting instant death. Regardless, this command is based on the user's Magic Power and costs no MP, so it is a cheap alternative to magic. Find Pits will reveal trap doors, but only if the user is about to step on one, while Light Step lets the user walk over harmful surfaces like lava.

So a kinda useless mage except for the Light Step ability.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

subujun posted:

That's enough for now. Started with Thief and didn't really have any issues until the Magissa fight (had to level up). Defeated Garula by the skin of my teeth (everyone dead except Faris at 11hp). Rolled a Berserker shortly after, think I'll come back to this tomorrow.

Any tips for the Liquid flame without any magic?

I had the same jobs as you. Farm Hi-Potions from poltergeists, pray you get lucky with Berserker's attack timing and wait for him to run out of MP.

I was able to escape from Karnak Castle with 6 whole seconds to spare, and Gilgabot made up for the Berserker by rolling me a Ninja! :ninja: I'm hoping for Chemist from the last set so I can get some decent healing done.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Breezed through Garula and the game so far.

Water class
Berserker.

:suicide:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

ShadeofDante posted:

Breezed through Garula and the game so far.

Water class
Berserker.

:suicide:

Sup Monk/Berserk buddy :(

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Bellmaker posted:

Sup Monk/Berserk buddy :(

High five, me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN
Black Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Chemist. This is going to be ridiculously easy.