Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Two Frost Rods: 1500 gil
Proving that fighting bosses properly is for suckers: Priceless

And my fire job is... NINJA! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Thread title aside you hardly ever see anyone say that 5 or Tactics is THE WORST EVER Final Fancy game, and I think that's because there's so much to experiment & play with and customize. Plus they got animal hats

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Just scrambled a victory against Garula thanks to elf mantle luck.

My jobs are Thief / Berserker :suicide:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Ok, guys, I'm an idiot, and I can't figure out how to exit the town of Istory after picking up the Romeo's Ballad song...

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
Knight/Red Mage so far. Took me two tries to kill Garula but otherwise it's been cake so far.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So where's a good spot to grind round Karnak? I need some Mantra because holy poo poo I hate Liquid Flame

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

ulmont posted:

Ok, guys, I'm an idiot, and I can't figure out how to exit the town of Istory after picking up the Romeo's Ballad song...

There's a hidden path through the forest. Basically go up and to your right and you'll find it.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Bellmaker posted:

So where's a good spot to grind round Karnak? I need some Mantra because holy poo poo I hate Liquid Flame

If it's just ABP you need, consider going back to the Wind Shrine to fight Mold Winds. They randomly drop Elixirs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Made it out of Karnak with 3 minutes to spare AND I looted all the treasure. All of it. YEAH!!!

e: And my fire job is Ranger. Holy poo poo easy mode.

e2: hahaha I just wandered into the Library at level 15 :suicide:

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 16, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Bellmaker posted:

Sup Monk/Berserk buddy :(

Monk/Berserker wasn't too bad, I found. Then I got Black Mage at the Fire Crystal which was kinda nice... so naturally, I ended up getting Berserker again at the Earth Crystal. :suicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
White Mage/White Mage/Black Mage/???.

Thank christ, I finally have some real offensive power now. Now all I need is for my Earth Crystal to be Red, Blue, or Time and it'll be all mages all the time. :hellyeah:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I got Thief for Wind, but Gilgabot is merciful and just and gave me Summoner for Water. :woop:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Got Monk!

Dang, I got that last year. Oh well, let's see what I get next.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Attention those who are unhappy with their jobs!

You can now use Gilgabot's Job Fair to change your jobs to something less painful!

But to use this service, you gotta donate money based on which jobs you're switching to.

quote:

If you would like custom job sets or just want to get rid of monk who you have started with every, single, fiesta, this is for you! We do ask that Hard Mode players not use the Job Fair. Feel free to use the jobs once you change them, but do be aware that not donating would be really, really uncool. The official player page will not be updated until your donation is confirmed. We appreciate your help and donations. Why ask for donations to change jobs? Well, the spirit of the fiesta is to have the job sets be random. But we also want you to have fun. If Thief/Berserker is really stopping you from enjoying the fiesta, a small donation to change it up isn't all that terrible, right? Remember, it's all for Child's Play!

REMEMBER: You can only use those four jobs. That includes skill. If you used White Mage but changed it to Blue Mage you cannot use any skills from the White Mage job.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Frankly, I'm surprised Berseker isn't free.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr Pepper posted:

Frankly, I'm surprised Berseker isn't free.

Between Geomancer and Berserker, I want a Berserker.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So that's what the last secret was. Neat.

Also, if Gilgabot's not talking to you, that's uh... for a reason.

@RevenantKioku posted:

Uh. Wow. @FF5ForFutures hit the daily tweet limit. Please check here for your stuff http://t.co/gCRRJzju He still works, he just can't talk.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Kyrosiris posted:

I got Thief for Wind, but Gilgabot is merciful and just and gave me Summoner for Water. :woop:

I got thief for wind then Berserker for water....

MOTHER FUCKER

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So I'm running Blue/Beserker/Beast/??? so far.

I've never, not even ONCE touched Beastmaster. Any advice? Things to do/don't do?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Learn !Control as soon as you can to open up boundless potential with your Blue Mage.

Also, make sure you get the Coronet helmet and the Kornago Gourd items on the second world to boost your !Control and !Catch success rates.

This SSCC Beastmaster report will also help you ID some really good monsters to catch for powerful releases.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

White Mage for second job! :toot:

Kung Fu Healers here I come.

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
Awesome, just made it through Karnak castle with everything of value. I think that's the last time you have to rush through anything.

I'm now: Thief/Berserker/Mystic Knight/???

I think with Spellblade in tow I can handle anything, even another Berserker.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Black Mage/Time Mage/Ranger/Samurai

Not bad at all!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Knight/Time Mage/Beastmaster/???

Hooray!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gilgabot posted:

@WT_Fits can now use the Wind Job 'Thief'. No passage will remain hidden!

So much for my dream of potentially getting one job from each Crystal. :negative:

... on the other hand, Twin Lances and Genji Gear! :woop:

Final team:

Blue Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Thief

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So I got

Knight (not bad!)

Mystic Knight (YEESSSSS!)

Berserker :negative:
There seem to be a LOT of Berserkers this year, even on hard mode with no Berserker Risk.

So hey, people with detailed mechanics knowledge- does 2-handed increase the damage of spellblade attacks?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

So I got

Knight (not bad!)

Mystic Knight (YEESSSSS!)

Berserker :negative:
There seem to be a LOT of Berserkers this year, even on hard mode with no Berserker Risk.

So hey, people with detailed mechanics knowledge- does 2-handed increase the damage of spellblade attacks?

Yes.

Damage in this game is determined by (Attack - Defense) * Multiplier.

Two-Handed doubles your Multiplier, which for Swords is (Level*Strength)/128 + 2.

Spellblade does various things depending on the element you use and the target's weaknesses and resistances.

If you use Flare, it straight up adds 100 to your Attack, and quarters the target's defense (Attack+100 - Defense/4).

If you use an element the target Absorbs, their defense is treated as 0 and the attack heals them.

If you use an element they're immune to, the attack automatically misses.

If you use an element they take half damage from, your Multiplier is halved (M/2).

If you use an element they're weak to, it depends on the spell in question.

Fire, Ice, Bolt, and Venom doubles your Attack and treats their Defense as 0 (Attack*2 - 0).

Fire 2, Ice 2, and Bolt 2 triples your Attack and treats their Defense as 0 (Attack*3 - 0).

Fire 3, Ice 3, Bolt 3, Bio, and Holy will just straight up instantly kill the target if they're weak to it and not Heavy. If they're weak to it and have the Heavy type, then it quadruples the Attack power and treats their defense as 0 (Attack*4 - 0).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Spellblade dos 4 things.

If its an elemental attack and the enemy is weak to that element, it reduces the enemy's defense (with high tier spells, it reduces it to zero).

Drain/osmose just do their effects while you do damage.

If its a status it just automatically hits with said status when hit.

And flare increases attack by 200 and reduces defense by 3/4 so.

So yeah two handed does increase the power of spellblade attacks.

Edit: beaten like Exdeath

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
4 white mages + 1 garula = 1 long loving battle.
Got black mage as my second job! time to nuke the hell out of everything.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

quote:

@PhilippAchtel can now use the Wind Job 'Thief'. No passage will remain hidden!

Time to steal all the things I suppose.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

W.T. Fits posted:

Yes.

Damage in this game is determined by (Attack - Defense) * Multiplier.

Two-Handed doubles your Multiplier, which for Swords is (Level*Strength)/128 + 2.

Spellblade does various things depending on the element you use and the target's weaknesses and resistances.

If you use Flare, it straight up adds 100 to your Attack, and quarters the target's defense (Attack+100 - Defense/4).

If you use an element the target Absorbs, their defense is treated as 0 and the attack heals them.

If you use an element they're immune to, the attack automatically misses.

If you use an element they take half damage from, your Multiplier is halved (M/2).

If you use an element they're weak to, it depends on the spell in question.

Fire, Ice, Bolt, and Venom doubles your Attack and treats their Defense as 0 (Attack*2 - 0).

Fire 2, Ice 2, and Bolt 2 triples your Attack and treats their Defense as 0 (Attack*3 - 0).

Fire 3, Ice 3, Bolt 3, Bio, and Holy will just straight up instantly kill the target if they're weak to it and not Heavy. If they're weak to it and have the Heavy type, then it quadruples the Attack power and treats their defense as 0 (Attack*4 - 0).

Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if spellblade attacks were basically their own "spell" and didn't consider attack multipliers, since they seemed to miss against enemies immune to magic (like the Hand form of Liquid Flame, I think).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Thief/Summoner/Ninja.

I can live with this so far. :woop:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Final team:

Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Samurai. I have absolutely zero healing and no way to learn White Wind.

I also just died to a random boss in a meteorite and I hadn't saved since before the boss that changes weaknesses then revives itself. I think I'm done for today.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Final team:

Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Samurai. I have absolutely zero healing and no way to learn White Wind.

I also just died to a random boss in a meteorite and I hadn't saved since before the boss that changes weaknesses then revives itself. I think I'm done for today.

You can get the Dancing Dagger in the Moogle forest in World 2, which can sometimes make you cast Tempting Tango when you attack with it. Use that on the red rabbits in Exdeath's Castle and you can get White Wind.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Byblos turns Faris into a Toad.

Faris throws a Flame Scroll for like 1300 damage.

:frogout:

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Monk/mystic knight so far. Really enjoying this game! Wish I'd got round to playing it sooner. Definitely gonna have to play 3, 4 & 6 after this.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Eagle posted:

Final team:

Kind of sadly Samurais katanas don't work with spell blade for some dumb reason. Vampire is a decent healing spell with Blue Magic and Drain spell blade can be used too.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Got blue mage for my wind job, pretty happy with that so far. I guess I'll need to figure out where to get blue magic since I haven't really used it much.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Well, I made it to the second world. I think that's more than enough for one sitting of this video game.

The twitter bot gave me White Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai (on normal mode. I was dreading getting Dancer for my earth job, because then my team would just be based around pointing my team at the enemy and hoping they randomly do good damage. Getting Samurai instead makes this a much more palatable challenge.

Sand Worm, Soul Cannon, and undead Archeoavis were all incredibly tedious affairs that I barely won, though. I can't imagine how horrible they might be for some of you folks who rolled bad hard mode teams.

e: if this all sounds familiar, I'm the Draino who's been chatting it up in the IRC channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
White Mage/White Mage/Black Mage/Geomancer for my final team.

I've never used the Geomancer class in any playthrough of FF5. :shepicide: