Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The tray icon is really handy and I like the changes to the config stuff, the new aesthetics alone are much nicer. Thanks fellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
New version seems to not work with SABtosickbeard.

"'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

el_caballo posted:

New version seems to not work with SABtosickbeard.

"'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

That's Windows telling you that something is just asking to run "python" and there isn't a "python.exe" anywhere on the PATH variable for that session. How are you running sabtosickbeard?

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
I just chose it out of the drop down menu in the Categories settings when I first installed everything and I haven't touched it since, like more than a year ago.

phorge
Jan 10, 2001
I got banned for not reading the Leper Colony. Thanks OMGWTFBBQ!
I decided to finally start using sab running from my server (Ubuntu) rather than my Workstation (Win7). Everything appears to be working and I can manually add an NZB from the server instance via the browser, but nzbdStatus is refusing to send downloads to the Ubuntu server. I made sure to add my server instance to the Servers tab (and it's enabled and the Test Connection passes), but no downloads are getting queued this way. I originally left my workstation server listed in nzbdStatus (but disabled), but I've since deleted it altogether and still nada. I have also tried restarting my browser... still nada. sabnzbd is still installed on my Windows workstation, but it is shut down.

Any ideas?

Edit:
After uninstalling nzbdStatus and reinstalling it still didn't work. Finally I went to about:config and cleared anything that had to do with nzbdStatus and it now works... not sure what that was all about, but can't argue with success.

phorge fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 16, 2012

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
This question has probably been asked a bajillion times, but is there a consensus as to what the best .nzb index is in terms of comprehensiveness?

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Radio Talmudist posted:

This question has probably been asked a bajillion times, but is there a consensus as to what the best .nzb index is in terms of comprehensiveness?

nzbmatrix but it has a pretty abysmal interface

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

paradigmm posted:

nzbmatrix but it has a pretty abysmal interface

I also get the sense that these index sites go down with alarming regularity...

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Radio Talmudist posted:

I also get the sense that these index sites go down with alarming regularity...

Considering NZBMatrix sells their accounts in increments of 10 years, I certainly hope it won't go down any time soon. As for it's interface, I'm actually fine with it since it shows what I search for and lets me add it to sab with one click. It is lacking some of the nicer features that beta.nzbs.org has such has being able to show entire series of shows on one page of the selected quality, but it's never been a big deal for me and you can use sickbeard for that stuff anyways.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

They (NZBMatrix) have been been a good value for me. They also seem to index a lot of stuff a lot of the newsnab clones don't. It's my go to site after nzbs.org.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I really hope NZBMatrix isn't the one to watch because I paid for the registration forever ago and almost immediately decided I couldn't stand to look at it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Hogburto posted:

I really hope NZBMatrix isn't the one to watch because I paid for the registration forever ago and almost immediately decided I couldn't stand to look at it.

There's a greasemonkey script or extension that cleans the site up but I don't recall the name and I'm not at my desktop.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I have to use NZBMatrix since I can't for the life of me get an nzbs.org account. I guess I always miss it whenever they open registration or whatever.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

tomm posted:

I have to use NZBMatrix since I can't for the life of me get an nzbs.org account. I guess I always miss it whenever they open registration or whatever.

Just grab a nzb.su account. beta.nzbs.org is exactly the same thing with some cosmetic differences.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is there a way to view individual binary groups? In the old days, I'd just use something like Forte Free Agent to see what had been posted and then queue up a download.

Searching NZBs is great but it doesn't help when you are wanting to browse for something new.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bonzo posted:

Is there a way to view individual binary groups? In the old days, I'd just use something like Forte Free Agent to see what had been posted and then queue up a download.

Searching NZBs is great but it doesn't help when you are wanting to browse for something new.

Browsing is still best done on an nzb site like nzbmatrix or whatever.

If you still have to use a usenet client for some reason, someone else will have to weigh in.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
When I was younger and I first used Usenet (had no idea about SAB, oh man) I used to browse groups on a program called Newsleecher. Was pretty basic software but you could select groups to browse. It was a huge clusterfuck to be honest. Much easier to browse an nzb indexer.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

nzbindex.com ?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tomm posted:

When I was younger and I first used Usenet

When I was younger I looked down on people using web forums. Usenet did discussion forums better! (Actually, it still does. It's just that no one uses it anymore)

I can still find a lot of my posts from a couple decades ago on Usenet by using Google Groups. They're embarrassing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess what I'm saying is that in the old days I would just grab headers for a group like a.b.music.80s or a.b.music.bootlegs and then see what was posted. If something caught my eye I'd get it.

Does that make sense?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess what I'm saying is that in the old days I would just grab headers for a group like a.b.music.80s or a.b.music.bootlegs and then see what was posted. If something caught my eye I'd get it.

Does that make sense?

Right. What I'm saying is that you can do this...but even better with in-line album covers and genres and whatever...on an NZB index site. For example, look at this:

What exactly are you looking to get out of browsing headers that you can't get out of that interface in the screenshot?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
More obscure stuff didn't always get indexed, especially if they don't track the groups. Sometimes non-group releases don't get picked up by the filters.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sperg Victorious posted:

More obscure stuff didn't always get indexed, especially if they don't track the groups. Sometimes non-group releases don't get picked up by the filters.

Good point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unison on the Mac is still pretty good for this. Otherwise, Mysterbin.com has a pretty good view of specific groups (it'll tell you whether it's tracked or not).

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Bonzo posted:

Is there a way to view individual binary groups?
The 95% of the times I'm lazy, I just use binsearch.info if I suspect something is too obscure for most indexers

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Once long time Forte Agent user chiming in...
Newsbin is what you want for your purposes. I still use it a great deal to get Old Time Radio and other public domain 50s-era radio plays.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sperg Victorious posted:

Still gets anything that isn't filtered into usable content.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

YouTuber posted:

Still gets anything that isn't filtered into usable content.

I've never paid for VIP on nzb.su, is it worth it? Looks like those lists might actually be decent.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MrEnigma posted:

I've never paid for VIP on nzb.su, is it worth it? Looks like those lists might actually be decent.

It's mainly to allow you to use services like Couchpotato and Sickbeard with more than a few RSS scraps a day. It opens up the quantity to unlimited. If you do things by hand still and don't really download more than one or two nzb a day then don't bother with it.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

So is the jcfp repository for sab pretty reliable. I'm generally try to avoid adding random repos since that can be a security risk, so I stopped using it on my htpc when the main ubuntu multiverse started carrying it instead. They seem to be taking their sweet rear end time updating to 0.7.0 though.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

mrmcd posted:

So is the jcfp repository for sab pretty reliable. I'm generally try to avoid adding random repos since that can be a security risk, so I stopped using it on my htpc when the main ubuntu multiverse started carrying it instead. They seem to be taking their sweet rear end time updating to 0.7.0 though.
JCFP is the official Ubuntu and Debian package maintainer for SABnzbd. His private ppa is exactly what will eventually be available through mainline Ubuntu, the only difference is that you'll get new versions immediately after we release them instead of whenever Canonical feels like it.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

inpheaux posted:

JCFP is the official Ubuntu and Debian package maintainer for SABnzbd. His private ppa is exactly what will eventually be available through mainline Ubuntu, the only difference is that you'll get new versions immediately after we release them instead of whenever Canonical feels like it.

Cool, thanks. The website links to several wiki and forums posts that describe the repo as unofficial so that's why I was confused.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Thanks Tapedump! Newsbin is what I'm looking for and I think I may have used that in 1999 or so.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a spare laptop that I want to turn into a headless downloadin' machine for SABNZDB. I want to run a minimal installation of linux on it - any recommendations or guides for this?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Gyshall posted:

I have a spare laptop that I want to turn into a headless downloadin' machine for SABNZDB. I want to run a minimal installation of linux on it - any recommendations or guides for this?
I just did this to my old mini. Basically I installed Ubuntu Server on it, chose LAMP, SSH and SAMBA. When I finished, I just "apt-get install sabnzbplus" and away I went.

Currently the Ubuntu repo has it at 0.6.15 (or so, I'm not at home to check), but it works fine for what I need.

There are packages like Ubuntu Server Minimal, but really, the full thing is a little more than 2gb.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Switched to Astra from Supernews. All of my nzbs that were either incomplete or nuked work fine now!

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

So I'm pretty new to this, have SABNZB, really like how smooth it is.
But, once every few files I'll get a "repair failed, not enough repair blocks" error. What causes this and is there anything I can do to not have to restart from the beginning? This makes me very leery of downloading any kind of large file.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Daynab posted:

So I'm pretty new to this, have SABNZB, really like how smooth it is.
But, once every few files I'll get a "repair failed, not enough repair blocks" error. What causes this and is there anything I can do to not have to restart from the beginning? This makes me very leery of downloading any kind of large file.

Articles were removed, likely due to DMCA complaints. Get yourself a backup provider, try a block plan from the op

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

UndyingShadow posted:

Articles were removed, likely due to DMCA complaints. Get yourself a backup provider, try a block plan from the op

That's not it though. Downloading it back from scratch and it works with no errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Daynab posted:

That's not it though. Downloading it back from scratch and it works with no errors.

Sometimes I get that, but then going into the "incomplete" folder and unzipping it manually works, so try that before re-downloadnig.