Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thoom posted:

There's not a whole lot else you can look at on a display model at the Fruit Stand.

The stores usually load them up with a bunch of pro apps, Adobe CS and other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Mu Zeta posted:

The stores usually load them up with a bunch of pro apps, Adobe CS and other stuff.

And even if I wouldn't know about it, I'd ask in the store if I could maybe see something else than just a browser.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Choadmaster posted:

A friend if mine just happened to get a retina MBP today and reports no slowness or jerky animations at all, even at the intermediate resolutions. Maybe the store demo model I looked at was having issues.

I noticed all of the store demo models were weird when I checked them out. Played with an 11-inch MBA and the screen was tearing like crazy. I don't know if they're running unoptimized software or what the deal is, but you'd think Apple would be on top of making their in-store models run flawlessly.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Finally done with computing like poo poo. I sold my desktop and laptop and ordered a refurb sandy bridge anti-glare macbook pro. It should arrive on Tuesday.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Bah MBPR isn't planned on being delivered until July 2-9. Ordered on the first day too :(

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

JP Money posted:

gently caress me I didn't even look at that pic but 929 now for the last gen 13. God drat Apple.

I jumped all over that $929 13.3 MBA refurb. The updated features in this year's model just weren't $270 worth of value to me in my use.

Coming from a 2004 ThinkPad, I don't think I could even tell the difference between the 2011 and 2012 13.3" MBAs. They would both be like lightning compared to what I was using for laptop.

I love Apple refurbs. I've bought a few Apple refurb products from an iPod to an iMac and I haven't been able to tell yet they've been used. Plus, you get a few bucks knocked off the Apple tax.

bobzmuda fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 16, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bobzmuda posted:

Coming from a 2004 ThinkPad, I don't think I could even tell the difference between the 2011 and 2012 13.3" MBAs. They would both be like lightning compared to what I was using for laptop.

The only real difference is USB 3.0 and HD 4000 graphics.

I don't game and I don't use any external storage (except for time machine) so I'm probably not going to sell my 2011 and get a 2012.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How long does it usually take for Apple to include the recent MBP's to be on the refurbished page?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Busy Bee posted:

How long does it usually take for Apple to include the recent MBP's to be on the refurbished page?

Depends on how soon people return their new MBP.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Busy Bee posted:

it's generally in the 60-90 day range, usually leaning more towards 90.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
The battery on my mid-2009 MBP has started to bulge and the trackpad is now wonky and doesn't like to click. Where's the best place to get a new (preferably OEM) battery? I looked at iFixit but they're out of stock, you guys know of any other options?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

If both issues can be demonstrated, make a genius appointment at your nearest store and you may find that you get a free replacement.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

kuskus posted:

If both issues can be demonstrated, make a genius appointment at your nearest store and you may find that you get a free replacement.

I'll give it a shot, but the store here in Nashville has a reputation for being super huge dickwads about everything. Not to mention I don't have applecare, so they probably are just as likely to try and make me pay the $450 or whatever before they even glance at it.

Plus the battery has been in need of replacement anyway since the charge lasts 1/4 of what it used to.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Viper_3000 posted:

The battery on my mid-2009 MBP has started to bulge and the trackpad is now wonky and doesn't like to click. Where's the best place to get a new (preferably OEM) battery? I looked at iFixit but they're out of stock, you guys know of any other options?

Get that battery out of there before it permanently warps the trackpad, it's Amazon or a trip to the Store. Getting a noname battery may result in you winding up with a poo poo battery.

Batteries for Mac laptops usually go for $129, by the way.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Get that battery out of there before it permanently warps the trackpad, it's Amazon or a trip to the Store. Getting a noname battery may result in you winding up with a poo poo battery.

Batteries for Mac laptops usually go for $129, by the way.

Oh poo poo, I'm a dumdum and forgot apple did battery replacements. I also thought they were way more than that, that's totally doable compared to the price of just the battery on iFixit.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Edit: nothing to see here.

1997 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 17, 2012

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I'm working on a game for Windows, Mac and Linux and getting near the point where I need to start optimizing the Mac version a lot more than I have so far. This means I need to actually spend some money and get a piece of Apple hardware to run the game on rather than just doing everything theoretically.

This whole thing is funded out of my pocket and I'm really trying to get the cheapest entry into Apple hardware at the moment. While the game is unoptimized, it really needs an i5 at least to run at a constant 60fps.

MacRumors says DO NOT BUY on a Mac Mini and iMac, but I can't work out any other way to get a cheap-enough piece of Apple hardware. Should I really be waiting for Apple to announce new desktop hardware at this point now that WWDC has passed or should I just drop some money on something now?

The whole purpose of the purchase is to port this one piece of software and then move into iOS development. Will the current desktop lineup be absolutely fine for that? If a refresh comes in 3 months or something that makes absolutely no difference to my work then I guess it doesnt really matter, but it just would suck to drop money now and have something fancy come out soon after.

I thought about Hackintosh but it seems way too complicated and I really need to optimize for real Apple hardware.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Viper_3000 posted:

I'll give it a shot, but the store here in Nashville has a reputation for being super huge dickwads about everything. Not to mention I don't have applecare, so they probably are just as likely to try and make me pay the $450 or whatever before they even glance at it.

Plus the battery has been in need of replacement anyway since the charge lasts 1/4 of what it used to.

Howdy, Nashville Mac buddy!

If you don't feel like going to the Green Hills store you might want to try Mac Authority. They have been around Nashville forever.

http://www.macauthority.com/stores/

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Mug posted:

I'm working on a game for Windows, Mac and Linux and getting near the point where I need to start optimizing the Mac version a lot more than I have so far.
Just get a refurb mini.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Just get a refurb mini.

There's none in Australia.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mug posted:

I'm working on a game for Windows, Mac and Linux and getting near the point where I need to start optimizing the Mac version a lot more than I have so far. This means I need to actually spend some money and get a piece of Apple hardware to run the game on rather than just doing everything theoretically.

This whole thing is funded out of my pocket and I'm really trying to get the cheapest entry into Apple hardware at the moment. While the game is unoptimized, it really needs an i5 at least to run at a constant 60fps.

MacRumors says DO NOT BUY on a Mac Mini and iMac, but I can't work out any other way to get a cheap-enough piece of Apple hardware. Should I really be waiting for Apple to announce new desktop hardware at this point now that WWDC has passed or should I just drop some money on something now?

The whole purpose of the purchase is to port this one piece of software and then move into iOS development. Will the current desktop lineup be absolutely fine for that? If a refresh comes in 3 months or something that makes absolutely no difference to my work then I guess it doesnt really matter, but it just would suck to drop money now and have something fancy come out soon after.

I thought about Hackintosh but it seems way too complicated and I really need to optimize for real Apple hardware.

I know you'll be using it for QA, but...Hackintosh, maybe?

e: oh you already mentioned Hackintosh :downs: disregard!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Second hand iMac or something seems like the best option to me. You can get a fairly decent 2009 or so model for just a few hundred bucks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the best way to clean my old MBP? Can I just use Windex on the screen since it's a glass panel? What do I use to clean the keyboard (and trackpad) of small bit of grease?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Thoom posted:

There's not a whole lot else you can look at on a display model at the Fruit Stand.

Final Cut Pro X?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Question - What's OS X like for day to day use on an SSD vs. without? My refurb comes on the 19th, and it has a 750GB 7.2k drive installed. I plan on going to 8GB of ram right away, but should I also do the SSD?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm. My MBP/R is due to ship any day but I'm thinking about calling Apple and dropping it back to 8GB of RAM. I don't think I'll utilise 16GB and I'm the type that'll resell it in 12-18 months and buy something else new. I'm not at all convinced it's worth the extra $220AU.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the best way to clean my old MBP? Can I just use Windex on the screen since it's a glass panel? What do I use to clean the keyboard (and trackpad) of small bit of grease?

You can use windex but over the long term the screen will start to yellow because of the compounds Apple uses in their displays. The best way to clean it is always a lint free cloth and filtered water. Same for the keyboard and trackpad.

If you've got something particularly nasty on the keyboard/trackpad I use rubbing alcohol.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Viper_3000 posted:

What size MBP do you have? I have a 13" mid-2009 MBP and just replaced the battery myself. If it's the battery I'm thinking of and you want to replace it yourself, you should look for an A1322 MBP battery. Amazon has a bunch of resellers that sell the right battery for ~$60, but you'll also need the proper screwdriver; look for the smallest size "tri-wing" style screwdriver you can find.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

krooj posted:

Question - What's OS X like for day to day use on an SSD vs. without? My refurb comes on the 19th, and it has a 750GB 7.2k drive installed. I plan on going to 8GB of ram right away, but should I also do the SSD?

Yes, get the SSD.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mug posted:

A refurb iMac would be a good buy still. You'll get a slightly faster video card in a few months when the update comes but that's really about it. Right now it has a 512MB 6750M. The CPU will be a very small upgrade and USB 3.0 shouldn't affect your game at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My local Best Buy doesn't have the MBPR, or they sold whatever they had. So I still haven't gotten to see it in person.

They do, however have the 2GB/64GB 11" Air, brand new for $739.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

What size MBP do you have? I have a 13" mid-2009 MBP and just replaced the battery myself. If it's the battery I'm thinking of and you want to replace it yourself, you should look for an A1322 MBP battery. Amazon has a bunch of resellers that sell the right battery for ~$60, but you'll also need the proper screwdriver; look for the smallest size "tri-wing" style screwdriver you can find.

Took it to the fruit stand, they agreed it's bulging but no offer to replace it gratis even though it could catch fire or explode or something. However they wanted to keep it until Thursday when the part came in, and I can't go without a computer for that long. MacAuthority was more helpful, but again, they wanted to keep my machine until Tuesday when they would have batteries in. (They were also cheaper than going through the Apple store) They just suggested "finding" a replacement and putting it in myself.

So I wound up grabbing this one off of Amazon. (Plus I have prime so it'll be here tuesday) Pulled the battery in the mean time and the trackpad works fine now.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Will a 2011 27" iMac support 16GB of RAM? I currently have 8GB, and it's not quite cutting it for the number of apps and VMs I currently use regularly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Will a 2011 27" iMac support 16GB of RAM? I currently have 8GB, and it's not quite cutting it for the number of apps and VMs I currently use regularly.

It supports 32GB.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I went to the local Apple authorised reseller and they have had one MBPr in and sold it. No display model or anything so a wasted journey.

I have a late 2011 13" MBP with 120GB SSD and 8GB Ram and wanted to see the new 15" to see if the extra pixels will make working on it easier. My display on this thing is poo poo and i use it plugged into a 27" Korean special 90% of the time due to this. I suspect I will get a decent amount for mine when i sell it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

I went to the local Apple authorised reseller and they have had one MBPr in and sold it. No display model or anything so a wasted journey.

I have a late 2011 13" MBP with 120GB SSD and 8GB Ram and wanted to see the new 15" to see if the extra pixels will make working on it easier. My display on this thing is poo poo and i use it plugged into a 27" Korean special 90% of the time due to this. I suspect I will get a decent amount for mine when i sell it.

As awesome is the new one is, I'm not dragging around a 15" laptop and will just wait for the 13" Retina to arrive.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

^^ Agree for two reasons. I spent a good 20 minutes handling one. While it was fast, big and beautiful, Photoshop and AutoCAD (both preinstalled in store) were both standard res and it feels too early since I'd want to take advantage of designing at that res pronto. Also, I love biking with my Air and I am spoiled by the weight. Time will solve both of these things.

Thinking about buying an i7-870 and sticking it in my late '09 i5 27" iMac in a week since I don't plan on using USB 3 or Tbolt any time soon. Might give me another 2 years for ~$275.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's been almost a drat week and Amazon still hasn't gotten any of the 13 inch Airs in!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...i=macbook%20air

And incase you are wondering why I am so instant on ordering through Amazon, this is from when I preordered it on Tuesday.

And it looks like my Imgur link isn't working. Basically $1400 in Amazon Gift Cards to spend!

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 17, 2012

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Awesome.

So is it possible to put an order in at the physical apple store? I will be traveling to Oregon and I would like to line up a MBP Purchase out there but I'm worried about availability.

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

kuskus posted:

Also, I love biking with my Air and I am spoiled by the weight. Time will solve both of these things.

How many of you Air owners have those personal 3G hotspots and how do they work out for you?