Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I only have a few PSN games, do you guys know of any must have titles?

Shame that Trails X Evolution or whatever it is called will never arrive on the PS3, that game is loads of fun.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So, I only just got a PS3 recently and LittleBigPlanet came with it- can anyone point me at a list of goon-recommended levels? Or one of the archived threads for it?

I don't have LBP2 yet- I plan on getting it eventually(and LBPKarting when that hits) so it'd have to be stuff from back when LBP1 was still getting some healthy playtime- I obviously can't play LBP2 levels.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Kelp Plankton posted:

So, I only just got a PS3 recently and LittleBigPlanet came with it- can anyone point me at a list of goon-recommended levels? Or one of the archived threads for it?

I don't have LBP2 yet- I plan on getting it eventually(and LBPKarting when that hits) so it'd have to be stuff from back when LBP1 was still getting some healthy playtime- I obviously can't play LBP2 levels.

Whenever I play the shark attack/survival levels me and my friends have a great time. It is hilarious to run away from angry sharks as they eat up your friends.

thumb
Sep 9, 2003

Very large hands.
Have we talked about the Velocity mini yet? So rad: http://www.velocitygame.co.uk/

I thought all playstation minis were lame. Apparently I'm wrong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm glad I bought inFamous I'm having a lot of fun. I do agree with the poster who didn't like it saying its just a third person shooter dressed up. Cole really shouldn't be capable of being hurt by his own powers

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
inFamous 1 question: I've been doing a few side quests now where I had the choice of helping them or killing them and stealing all of their blast shards. Since this is my Good playthrough, I always choose the former. Is this going to count against me trying to get 100% blast shards, or does that just count collecting them throughout the city? I'm only like 102 away from getting all of them, and I'd like to know if I'll have to try again now rather than when I'm wandering the city trying to figure out where those last five are. Thanks!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spincut posted:

inFamous 1 question: I've been doing a few side quests now where I had the choice of helping them or killing them and stealing all of their blast shards. Since this is my Good playthrough, I always choose the former. Is this going to count against me trying to get 100% blast shards, or does that just count collecting them throughout the city? I'm only like 102 away from getting all of them, and I'd like to know if I'll have to try again now rather than when I'm wandering the city trying to figure out where those last five are. Thanks!

No, there's enough Blast Shards floating around to max out your power.

Being Evil and taking those just lets you ignore some of them (Though if you want the Trophies you still need to collect the open world ones.)

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

No, there's enough Blast Shards floating around to max out your power.

Being Evil and taking those just lets you ignore some of them (Though if you want the Trophies you still need to collect the open world ones.)

Awesome, thank you!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I kind of wish I'd played the game evil. The powers seem so much better

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scott Bakula posted:

I kind of wish I'd played the game evil. The powers seem so much better

Infamous 1 the evil powers were better. You got poo poo like force lightning and the cluster bombs. Although the good did have a better missile since you could redirect it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I loved that missile, pump three of them into the air and throw a zap and watch the heavens rain down on them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Infamous 1 the evil powers were better. You got poo poo like force lightning and the cluster bombs. Although the good did have a better missile since you could redirect it.

Then it reverses for 2, since Good gets the energy regeneration on hit which is way more important than anything else.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

I loved that missile, pump three of them into the air and throw a zap and watch the heavens rain down on them.

Holy poo poo thanks for saying this. I wouldn't have attempted it otherwise and it owns

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Sticky bombs are so much fun. I don't really care much for cluster bombs- I love being able to slap an enemy with a grenade and then have it blow up, automatically arc restraining every enemy hit with the blast.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Alright, another inFamous 1 question: Do my stats carry over between games? I'm almost done on my Good playthrough, and I'm still missing a couple gameplay achievements. What about stunts, do those carry over? I haven't been able to find three guys on top of a roof to Shockwave off and I almost have control of the entire city at this point.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Spincut posted:

Alright, another inFamous 1 question: Do my stats carry over between games? I'm almost done on my Good playthrough, and I'm still missing a couple gameplay achievements. What about stunts, do those carry over? I haven't been able to find three guys on top of a roof to Shockwave off and I almost have control of the entire city at this point.

There is a bit of carryover, but it's so incredibly negligible it's almost laughable. Nothing carries over that you can't get anyway after about five minutes of playing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spincut posted:

Three guys on a roof at once is almost impossible to find even after 1/3 of the way through the game. Make this one of the first ones you get when you start over. There's a building west of Cole/Zeke's roof that will have three on occasion early on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

With all the inFamous talk I decided to finally play the second game. I got it with my PS3 but I sort of forgot about it, despite really liking the first game. A lot of the advertisements and store names are pretty hilarious. It took me a minute but Red Ring Electronics was quite the jab.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Good had the most overpowered ability in the game though. Evil could create mass chaos but with good you could fully refill your power gauge (and life) with a single headshot. It basically made you invincible if you were decent at headshots.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Jimbot posted:

With all the inFamous talk I decided to finally play the second game. I got it with my PS3 but I sort of forgot about it, despite really liking the first game. A lot of the advertisements and store names are pretty hilarious. It took me a minute but Red Ring Electronics was quite the jab.

This is my favorite fake store chain in a game ever. My UGC, "Flowers for Trish," takes place at the one on the southwestern edge of town.

I need to figure out how to do some better UGC when I get the chance. Every DLC I did try had tons of spelling and/or grammar mistakes, even the interesting ones. Still, I love the idea behind UGC. Everyone trying for Platinum has to play it multiple times. Atleast five of those times will always be newer content, so there will be a steady flow of reviews coming in to figure out if a mission is good or not. Plus, there's plenty of UGC out there built solely to raise karma.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Jimbot posted:

My favorite thing is the adult theater in Smut Triangle, it even gets different movies in Festival of Blood.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Can you make a UGC that uses the camera?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

The Grimace posted:

This is my favorite fake store chain in a game ever.

It's no "Company of Gyros" from Saints Row 2 :v:

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
If anyone with PS+ hasn't checked out the free Space Marine game yet, I recommend it. It's a pretty oldschool, straightforward action game with a good balance between ranged and close-combat weapons, and the loving Thunder Hammer. :black101: It succeeds in making you feel like a badass not by giving you overpowered abilities, but by maintaining the difficulty at just the right level, often creating situations where you just barely come out victorious against overwhelming odds.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
So I just got an e-mail from Sony giving me a voucher to download Hydrophobia Prophecy for £1.19.

Is it worth it? I've never heard of the game before.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It also had to do with RE5 being international due to online play. RE4 was censored in certain countries and had the decapitations and several other bits of violence removed. Since it lets you play with people from other countries they had to match the violence to what was allowed.

That doesn't explain why they can show the flytrap zombies chewing off Chris' torso.

RaDaMaNt
Apr 24, 2012

charismaslover posted:

So I just got an e-mail from Sony giving me a voucher to download Hydrophobia Prophecy for £1.19.

Is it worth it? I've never heard of the game before.

Nope. Don't even bother, this game is complete crap.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's no "Company of Gyros" from Saints Row 2 :v:

Seems like a rip-off of "City of Gyros" from "City of Heroes." :colbert:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

A satellite uplink on the second island in inFamous is driving me mad. The time is incredibly tight and the features that are designed to be automatic for the parkour keep loving little things up wasting 2 seconds here and there. There doesn't seem to be any clear route either unlike all of the others

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Aardark posted:

If anyone with PS+ hasn't checked out the free Space Marine game yet, I recommend it. It's a pretty oldschool, straightforward action game with a good balance between ranged and close-combat weapons, and the loving Thunder Hammer. :black101: It succeeds in making you feel like a badass not by giving you overpowered abilities, but by maintaining the difficulty at just the right level, often creating situations where you just barely come out victorious against overwhelming odds.

I happened to borrow this from a friend independent of the PSN deal and it's pretty fun. It has some solid elements although I kind of wish they expanded the beat em up options to include as much variety as the shoot em up options (no real differentiation between the melee weapons outside of the hammer restricting access to most guns). But it really conveys the feeling of the Warhammer universe and has some huge environments that matched my perception of their universe. Unfortunately, for a game, that makes it feel pretty sparse in a lot of areas and a lot of running around. Still a fun play and the story tied things together well enough. Their "rage" and execution healing mechanism was a good idea and really got you into the high risk Warhammer melee experience.

Also, I had somehow missed this old gem of game journalism while googling a question about the game's mechanics: How many ways can Space Marine NOT rip off Gears of War?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How are the Evil powers in inFamous 2 anyway? The Ice Launch is pretty awesome as is Bolt Stream (lightning machine gun).

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Ape Agitator posted:

Also, I had somehow missed this old gem of game journalism while googling a question about the game's mechanics: How many ways can Space Marine NOT rip off Gears of War?

Holy hell, that article is ridiculous. He started with a first impression and ginned up a story to go along with it, regardless of any evidence to the contrary. He even took THQ's answer of "we don't believe it is copying an here is why" as partial evidence of copying, because they clearly had an answer prepared and must get asked about it a lot.

I like his "update" even better than the original article, though. He backpedals like crazy while still maintaining he was totally right to ask these questions. It's not "research based journalism", after all, even though he talked directly to the publisher on the subject.

Sure, Space Marine doesn't sound like the most original game in the world (especially mechanically). You'd think it would only take the smallest amount of research (or, you know, just listening to what people have already told him) to not look like you have no idea what you're talking about.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just finished Infamous 2 (good ending) and...uhh...holy poo poo...
Now I see why people were saying an Infamous 3 would be...tricky...to do. I haven't done the evil ending, but I assume it allowed you to live, so I guess Infamous 3 could exist with the evil ending as canon...of course, that last little cut-scene had that interesting lighting strike on the boat, so who knows if that was a hint at anything...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Considering the lightning bolt was a question mark, yes that was hinting at something.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
It looks like a question mark and a 3 combined. Also SP has stated Good Cole will always be the canonical story. inFamous is one of the few games where I recognize it probably should end for the sake of a great story arc but I really just want to play a new one so badly that I wouldn't care if they made 3.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Seems like a rip-off of "City of Gyros" from "City of Heroes." :colbert:

Your whole argument rests heavily on anyone with enough taste to steal that joke having played City of Heroes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ryaomon posted:

It looks like a question mark and a 3 combined. Also SP has stated Good Cole will always be the canonical story. inFamous is one of the few games where I recognize it probably should end for the sake of a great story arc but I really just want to play a new one so badly that I wouldn't care if they made 3.

(Infamous 2 spoilers)

Well the problem with a 3 using the good ending is Cole kills off all the conduits in the world so unless his return brings them back too it wouldn't be the most exciting game.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Finally bought Crysis off PSN. Played the first couple of hours, and it would be pretty great fun if the damned aiming wasn't so clunky. Guess that's what you get with PC ports though.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!

Jimbot posted:

How are the Evil powers in inFamous 2 anyway? The Ice Launch is pretty awesome as is Bolt Stream (lightning machine gun).

Most people will tell you that the evil powers are very much inferior to the good powers. Although that is mostly true, in my opinion evil has the greatest offensive power in the game: hellfire rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

^^ Infamous 2's first evil power is something that gives you a 1 xp for civillian casualties. Not saying that's BETTER but it's definitely an "evil" power that will play to your "destroy anything in my way" style.

I have a crazy, crazy idea about how an Infamous 3 would work. Let me throw down this beat and see if anyone catches it:

Infamous 3 would star Zeke as the hero, in a world where suddenly everyone gets superpowers, himself included. Zeke inherits lightning powers from his dead buddy Cole and his own checkered past would allow him to use it for good or for bad. Zeke went from a shitheel trying to shoehorn his way into Cole's life in Infamous 1, but he inadvertently caused the death of Cole's girlfriend. So to repent in Infamous 2, he became genuinely useful. Now in Infamous 3, the burden of power is on him...will it go to his fat head, or will he remain pure-hearted in spite of his tendency for temptation?

...and as for why "everyone gets superpowers," well, I'd explain it as a byproduct of the Beast exploding and the nullifier sphere basically being an anti-Ray-Sphere. Instead of sacrificing normal people to activate conduits...it sacrificed conduits around the world and now all normal people are the ones with superpowers. Plus, I really, REALLY want to see a world like that, a world where everyone can do something amazing. It'd be like Alan Moore's Top Ten, where even the hot dog vendor has heat vision (to cook hot dogs!) Think about it, it'd be a world in chaos, an expanded version of the superpowered gangs in the first two Infamous games.

• Locked thread