Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rooreelooo posted:

I have a question about the five job fiesta, but it contains plot spoilers. in late world 1, when galuf leaves and your party is reduce to three members, what are you supposed to do? I have all four jobs now, can I just use whatever combo I want or do I have to wait to get the fourth party member back before I can use my earth crystal job?

You can use any three combination of whatever, not just Wind/Water/Fire jobs (as long as it's just one of each). Note that when he comes back, you have to go back to one of each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

arrgghhhblll

That was painful.

But on the bright side, I skipped Necrophobe, so Gilgamesh is still alive out there... somewhere... :unsmith:

Can't verify you were using the right jobs. Do it again.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Final party: Thief/Berserker/Ninja/Dancer. Who needs healing anyway? :v:

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Kyrosiris posted:

You can use any three combination of whatever, not just Wind/Water/Fire jobs (as long as it's just one of each). Note that when he comes back, you have to go back to one of each.

Nice, thats what i thought but i just wanted to verify.

My final party is White Mage, Red Mage, Ninja and Dancer. I have to say, the game is easier on this playthrough then it was when I last played it legitimately. A breakdown of my progress so far:

- Part one (4x white mages)
I was expecting this to be hard because they're so fragile and have such a low damage output, but actually it was easy. Four healers means you're never short of mp, and every single turn you can heal back any damage done to the party (especially with one of them equipped with the healing rod - one free 100% health top up per turn, no mp required). Once you get protect, the physical hitting bosses (forza and garuda) can't damage you as fast as you can heal, so it's basically impossible to lose. the only challenging boss was magissa, because she uses magic attacks which i had no real defense for so i had to use all my phoenix downs reviving my party. make no mistake though, it was TEDIOUS AS gently caress. it took me like 20 minutes plinking away at garuda for 8-10 damage before he finally died, and i was ready to hurl my psp across the room in frustration.

-Part two (1x white mage, 3x red mages)
Once i got my hands on a job that could actually deal damage to the enemy, it was like playing a completely different game. since everything in this chapter of the game has an elemental weakness to exploit, i just hurled around magic at will. problem solved

-Part three (2x ninja, 1x red mage, 1x white mage)
This was interesting for me because even though i have used ninjas in previous playthroughs, i've never made use of Throw. i always just thought it was a way to damage at the expense of depleting hard to find items, and i always preferred renewable sources of damage output like magic or attacking. turns out i was wrong - there's basically nothing in the game that won't die after you throw a scroll or two at it, bosses included, so the game has been a complete cakewalk.

time to find out what dancers do for the next chapter of the game! i dont think ive ever used this job once in all my playthroughs, what are the perks?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Dancers dance, which picks one of 4 attacks at random. 3 are meh, 1 is sword dance which is goddamn powerful, it doubles your attack damage iirc. In the 2nd/3rd world you can find equipment to improve the chances of using sword dance, which owns.

Also, Dancers can equip Ribbons, which are almost the best accessory to use.

Another thing: you should have silenced magissa, would've made her powerless except for aero.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Samopsa posted:

Another thing: you should have silenced magissa, would've made her powerless except for aero.

Oh yeah that would have made much more sense

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Also another tip for a white mage start: don't forget the flail at the ship graveyard! After starting the graveyard, go off faris' ship, head down until you leap on a rock, press down/A and more rocks appear, jump over them and you got the flail. It will do about 50 damage instead of 5-10 against Garula at normal levels.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Minrad posted:

God drat it, I just realized my entire party is level 16 and I'm at the Ancient Library with a blue mage.

:negative:

Time to poopsock 20 on some poor bastard.

I did the Ancient Library at level 16 with 2 white mages and 2 black mages, it wasn't bad. Having cure2 and fire2/ice2 on all 4 white and black mages helped though. Both Ifrit and Byblos went down in about 1 round each. :getin:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mega64 posted:

Haha! Ifrit was tough, but manageable. My strategy was simply to let my Berserker wail on him while my Monks Chakra'd up to full health, and punching when full.

Haven't played since yesterday morning, but I can't see any way around Byblos besides grinding. The main problems are getting decent healing and hitting hard and reliably enough to outdo whatever he can recover from Drain. I'm probably going to have to grind to beat him.

Got Biblos dead at level 18.

Barely. Tips:
-You're better off !Focusing him into oblivion, it's the best way to get around Protect and the Drain shenangians at the end. I had Faris with !Focus and Burtz and Lenna with !Chakra
-Give your Berserker a Main Gauche and Elf Mantle, he dodged about 3-4 potentially painful hits in this fight.
-Give your Berserker...uh...Counter I guess, if he does hit you it's free damage.

This challenge definitely has me on my toes at each encounter. Bring on the Bard!

e: and the Doom Axe :getin:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 17, 2012

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Me and the girlfriend just signed up for the job fiesta! She's doing hard mode even though this is her first time playing ffv. I got white mage and she got monk, wish us luck!

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I somehow stumbled upon the Doom Axe and it carried my Besrserker well into World 2.

Until that drat unread dragon mountain. This area was easily the biggest hiccup in time for my run. I'm 12 hours in currently and about to go see the Turtle Sage.

As a side note, this is making this game fun all over again.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My final team is Knight/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Dancer. Could have been worse I suppose!

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Remind me, can a PS3 slim play PSOne games or not?

I have a PAL copy of FF Origins and a hankering for playing V without having to buy it again through the PSN

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Final team is Blue Mage/Black Mage/Thief/Dragoon, I'm quite happy with this.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Polite Tim posted:

Yeah it can.

Probably the easiest battle I'll have all game.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

Polite Tim posted:

I have a PAL copy of FF Origins and a hankering for playing V without having to buy it again through the PSN
PS1 yeah, PS2 no.

Now rolling with monk/mystic knight/geomancer. Geo seems... lacklustre. Can't quite figure out how best to use it.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my God magissa is straight wrecking my poo poo as 4x white mage, she can heal 20 rounds of damage and 1 shot a guy with drain right now, pretty tempted to use the 1 freelancer allowance as I can't even grind well like this :(

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think Gilgabot likes me. Blue Mage/Summoner/Ninja/????

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Harvs posted:

Oh my God magissa is straight wrecking my poo poo as 4x white mage, she can heal 20 rounds of damage and 1 shot a guy with drain right now, pretty tempted to use the 1 freelancer allowance as I can't even grind well like this :(

Silence her.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Can't verify you were using the right jobs. Do it again.

I cast Return at least 200 times. :fuckoff:

Also here's a protip for anyone having trouble with NeoExdeath. Contrary to popular belief, only ONE part can cast Almagest, at least at the beginning. It's this guy:

Also, he's vulnerable to petrification.

HOWEVER! Once you get all but one parts down, the last part standing will start taking double turns AND will be able to do everything that the other parts can.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Samopsa posted:

Silence her.

Oh of course! Thanks a bunch! Garuda is going to be terrible still however, protect is my friend

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Chemist off the Earth crystal :hellyeah:

Monk/Berserker/Bard/Chemist should be plenty of fun, I've never really used Chemist before.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Polite Tim posted:

It CAN, but be careful- is it the FF Anthologies version that came with FFVI? That version is known to freeze at the loading screen on PS3. I gave it a test run for this challenge and it froze 2 out of 4 times I tried to save, so I really wouldn't recommend it.

However, I think the version you can download off PSN for :10bux: works fine, and is the same as the PSOne version.

So my final team is Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief. Clearly I did something to anger the Gilgabot after getting my second job...

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Bellmaker posted:

Chemist off the Earth crystal :hellyeah:

Monk/Berserker/Bard/Chemist should be plenty of fun, I've never really used Chemist before.

Chemist makes monk bearable in the late game. A few Samson's Mights really causes their damage to skyrocket.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I did the Ancient Library at level 16 with 2 white mages and 2 black mages, it wasn't bad. Having cure2 and fire2/ice2 on all 4 white and black mages helped though. Both Ifrit and Byblos went down in about 1 round each. :getin:

I just wanted to get level 5 death since I'm too lazy to revisit later. :toot:

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Harvs posted:

Oh of course! Thanks a bunch! Garuda is going to be terrible still however, protect is my friend

Easy but terrible, never been so thankful for fast forwards.

Next job is mystic knight! Shaping up to be a pretty decent squad so far

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

HOWEVER! Once you get all but one parts down, the last part standing will start taking double turns AND will be able to do everything that the other parts can.

That's why you save the back partfor last and use Magic Lamp Odin to kill it instantly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually what I did because I forgot the magic lamp was safe the top and middle parts for last, and beat them down evenly with Firaga and Zeninage. The back part casts a lot of nasty magic which I have almost no defense for, so I wanted it out of the way ASAP. The other two parts are pretty much just physicals and Grand Cross.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bellmaker posted:

Got Biblos dead at level 18.

Barely. Tips:
-You're better off !Focusing him into oblivion, it's the best way to get around Protect and the Drain shenangians at the end. I had Faris with !Focus and Burtz and Lenna with !Chakra
-Give your Berserker a Main Gauche and Elf Mantle, he dodged about 3-4 potentially painful hits in this fight.
-Give your Berserker...uh...Counter I guess, if he does hit you it's free damage.

This challenge definitely has me on my toes at each encounter. Bring on the Bard!

e: and the Doom Axe :getin:

I'll keep all that in mind, thanks!

It sucks that this started during one of my busier weekends. Luckily, I'll have all day to see if I end up getting Chemist as well.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Harvs posted:

Easy but terrible, never been so thankful for fast forwards.

Next job is mystic knight! Shaping up to be a pretty decent squad so far

I had the same start! It rocks. Got Geomancer and Dancer next, pretty solid team. Mystic knight is my MVP, really. !Gaia is a nice secondary for the white mage before Holy shows up.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Dr Pepper posted:

That's why you save the back partfor last and use Magic Lamp Odin to kill it instantly.

Or else use Magic Lamp Odin to kill it first, because otherwise it'll White Hole your party to death.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also you know what? I really wish I had a Geomancer in my party, because damage floors are loving brutal. Like ten steps and you're down to 1 HP, and you can still get random encounters on them. I went through 99 hi-potions in the 3rd tablet dungeon.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Fister Roboto posted:

Also you know what? I really wish I had a Geomancer in my party, because damage floors are loving brutal. Like ten steps and you're down to 1 HP, and you can still get random encounters on them. I went through 99 hi-potions in the 3rd tablet dungeon.

If you have a way of getting Float on your party, that would also render damage floors safe.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Thief/Beserker/Geomancer/????

Never used Geomancer before but I assume it sucks rear end. Have I hosed Gilgabots sister or something?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Samopsa posted:

Dancers dance, which picks one of 4 attacks at random. 3 are meh, 1 is sword dance which is goddamn powerful, it doubles your attack damage iirc. In the 2nd/3rd world you can find equipment to improve the chances of using sword dance, which owns.

Also, Dancers can equip Ribbons, which are almost the best accessory to use.

Remember the damage equation I mentioned earlier, (Attack - Defense) * M?

Sword Dance doubles both the Attack and the Multiplier. Oh, and it also ignores the 25% Flee effect the Chicken Knife has. :getin:

Normally, when you Dance, you'll use either Tempting Tango (Confuse), Jitterbug (Drain), Mystery Waltz (Osmose) or Sword Dance. But if you have either the Lamia's Tiara, the Red Shoes or the Rainbow Dress, then the game basically replaces the chance to cast Tempting Tango with another chance to cast Sword Dance.

Of the three items that give the Sword Dance Up effect, Lamia's Tiara is available the earliest (rare steal from Lamias in the Ronkan Ruins, a drop from the Queen Lamias in the Pyramid, or for sale in Mirage Village), but you have to choose between it or the Ribbon, and the Ribbon is easily better.

The other two items are common steals from enemies in the Phoenix Tower; Cheries have the Red Shoes, Parthenopes have the Rainbow Dress. Given the choice between the two, go for the Rainbow Dress. In addition to the Sword Dance Up effect, it makes you immune to Confusion and is a decent piece of armor in its own right. The Red Shoes also make you immune to Confusion, but there are better uses for your accessory slot. Like Elf Mantles or Hermes Sandals.

Oh, one more thing: the name of the final ability Dancers learn, Equip Ribbon, is slightly misleading. It allows whoever has it to equip all four of the Dancer-exclusive items in the game - the Ribbon, the Rainbow Dress, the Red Shoes, and the Man-Eater.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
e: Nice writup. If you don't have steal, unfortunately only the pyramids / rift have dance-changing items :(

Also: my geomancer was did the most damage in the Sandworm fight, because bells are magic. Hell yeah.

Gaia is pretty powerful in random encounters, depending on your level/terrain. And, as mentioned, avoiding damage from floors is nice.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 17, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Samopsa posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
e: Nice writup. If you don't have steal, unfortunately only the pyramids / rift have dance-changing items :(

Also: my geomancer was did the most damage in the Sandworm fight, because bells are magic. Hell yeah.

Gaia is pretty powerful in random encounters, depending on your level/terrain. And, as mentioned, avoiding damage from floors is nice.

You should always have steal by that point. Get thyself the Thief Knife.

e: on a side note, poo poo like this is why I love the Four Job Fiesta. It's all about using what you're given to figure out ways past stuff you can normally blow through. It scratches the same itch that roguelikes do.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 17, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fungah! posted:

You should always have steal by that point. Get thyself the Thief Knife.

e: on a side note, poo poo like this is why I love the Four Job Fiesta. It's all about using what you're given to figure out ways past stuff you can normally blow through. It scratches the same itch that roguelikes do.

Yeah. Thief Knife is great for Four Job Fiesta runs simply because it allows any group the chance to get some good stuff.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's this guy:

Also, he's vulnerable to petrification.

Yeah, I read that somewhere else as well but is it actually true? Like, even when using Catoblepas from the Magic Lamp it doesn't work never mind relying on casting Break a billion times hoping that it might actually stick. Plus, when I checked several other things they all had Petrification listed on that segment's immunities too which makes the issue kinda confusing.

e; Okay, yeah, it is true. Somehow managed to work first try this fight. Now I just have to not get screwed over by Grand Cross while I whittle down that and the physical part.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Finally beat Byblos on my eighth attempt. Ended up getting lucky that I went 1.5 rounds of attacks without him triggering his Protect counter, which means he skipped right to his Drain-counter phase. It was rather easy from there, keeping healed until I finally knocked his rear end down.

Now to finally get Bard.