Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ZeeBoi posted:

My one year old Performance MX is suffering from left-click issues, i.e. it thinks I've double clicked even when I click hold.

Googling the issue it seems like a common thing. Anyone have a good fix or should I just contact Logitech?

Contact Logitech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just got my Logitech M570. So far it seems pretty good, sensitivity seems about the same as my old trackman wheel. Only complaint so far is the tracking on the ball feels a little rough in comparison. Hopefully I'll just need to break it in. If not, I imagine it's something I'll get used to. No noticeable input lag either.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

dog nougat posted:

Just got my Logitech M570. So far it seems pretty good, sensitivity seems about the same as my old trackman wheel. Only complaint so far is the tracking on the ball feels a little rough in comparison. Hopefully I'll just need to break it in. If not, I imagine it's something I'll get used to. No noticeable input lag either.

I love trackballs. The M570 is a bit different to the sort I'm used to though I'll admit.

On mice, there are good and bad. I'm still very fond of my MS IntelliMouse optical. My original was about 10 years old before one of my kids broke it when my other half was using it. She's a mouse slayer. Something like 6 mice in the last couple of months. I got her another good-ish one yesterday (logitech wireless) in the hope that it'll last more than a few days. My poor MS mouse has the whole unrecognised USB device thing going on. Still worked every bit as well as it always had until that point. Luckily about a year before that I spotted one when I was working at a secondhand place and bought it for $2. Best day I had the whole time I worked there. That mouse is still going strong and I'm fiercely protective of it.
Except for prolonged repeated extreme abuse they are essentially immortal and if I ever see another one I'm grabbing it.

On my bucket list has always been one of the older big marble looking balled trackballs. I think logitech made them?
Last week I found my old Cherry Biometric keyboard. Unfortunately the parallel port dongle is missing its shell but I don't care about that. I'm seriously considering swapping out my current cheap (but not too bad) logitech keyboard for the Cherry. that keyboard felt great, plus it has F13 and F14 IIRC. Always a bonus for a *nix user.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How are trackballs for gaming? I've tried them in the past for fun and couldn't really get the hang of them, and they seem like they'd be fine for FPS's, but they seem like they wouldn't work very well for RTS's, especially something like Starcraft or Diablo where you have to kite.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Anything for Steel series any good?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

How are trackballs for gaming? I've tried them in the past for fun and couldn't really get the hang of them, and they seem like they'd be fine for FPS's, but they seem like they wouldn't work very well for RTS's, especially something like Starcraft or Diablo where you have to kite.

I like them, to the point where using a regular mouse feels weird and unnatural. I have no problems for strategy games, I don't play them too much though, and I'm not entirely sure what kiting is. For FPS's I like them cause I can just flick the ball around faster and more precisely than with a mouse additionally I've I have less hand/arm fatigue considering my hand pretty much just sits there. Then again, the last time I used a regular mouse with any regularity was 7 years ago.

Edit: my only complaint with trackballs is the paltry selection. There are only like 8 options. Unless you want to pay an exorbitant sum for a model no longer manufactured. (Microsoft)

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 21, 2012

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
My one month old Performance MX has developed a hard left button. As in if I don't press it for a couple seconds the first press feels hard, like it's snagging on something. I tried hitting it with some compressed air but no dice. I guess this can happen to all mice. Anyone got any great ideas, cause I really don't want to return it just yet.

dillon
Nov 20, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Fat_Cow posted:

Anything for Steel series any good?

Good mousepads (QcK+ for life), but their devices always felt kind of cheap to me. You'll probably want to try one before going with it.

For my part, I'll never use any mouse but the MX518 (or a newer mouse that has identical weight, shape, button layout). They did something right there.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

My one year old Performance MX is suffering from left-click issues, i.e. it thinks I've double clicked even when I click hold.

Googling the issue it seems like a common thing. Anyone have a good fix or should I just contact Logitech?
I recently had the exact same problem with my G9X. I e-mailed logitech and they contacted me back right away to ask where to send the replacement. They didn't even want the old one or a receipt or anything.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So I just ordered a G700 ($65 thanks to a Raptr coupon :toot:), can anyone tell me what setting up the macro keys is like? Is it just macros for a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + #, for example), or is it more complicated than that?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kazy posted:

So I just ordered a G700 ($65 thanks to a Raptr coupon :toot:), can anyone tell me what setting up the macro keys is like? Is it just macros for a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + #, for example), or is it more complicated than that?

The basic "Assign button to keyboard command" option in the button menu is like that, yes. If you actually open the macro creator you can record more complicated stuff, like timed sequences of key/button presses.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Josh Lyman posted:

Works great, although I've been using them for years.

dog nougat posted:

Edit: my only complaint with trackballs is the paltry selection. There are only like 8 options. Unless you want to pay an exorbitant sum for a model no longer manufactured. (Microsoft)

The day my last Microsoft Trackball Optical breaks is going to be a sad one. :(

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Strongly considering a G500. Cheap enough replacement for my Deathadder. Can't find anything I fancy more in that sort of price range.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Anybody happen to have the skinny on why the mx518 and g9x use different flavors of SetPoint? Or if that will possibly get unified in the future?

I thought that SetPoint used to allow you to set up different profiles for different mouse types, but a bit of googling seems to indicate that the conflict between the mx518 and g9x is not just some quirk of my own setup.

For reasons probably not worth getting into, I occasionally want/need to have both of those mice connected to the same computer system... since the g9x was the one present when I first installed SetPoint, the SetPoint control panel doesn't see the mx518. Makes me sad.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

General_Failure posted:

On mice, there are good and bad. I'm still very fond of my MS IntelliMouse optical. My original was about 10 years old before

I bought an IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 back when I was a CounterStrike pro. Ten years later, no problems at all. It's seen me go from huge 40lb CRT monitors to widescreen LCDs and lasted through 4, maybe 5 builds. And of course, uncountable numbers of rage-smashed/soda-soaked keyboards.

I don't get why they quit making these.

What's the closest thing in terms of feel and weight that they make today?

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Anyone know a good Wireless Mouse/Keyboard combo? Doesn't have to be a "2 in 1 bundle," but it does have to be Wireless, and it has to be suitable for left handers. I will punch the monitor next time I have to use a mouse that appears to have basically been moulded to fit the hand of Righty McRighterson himself. I'm looking to drop about £100 in total, but I could probably squeeze a bit more out of this month's paycheck.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

What's the recommended high end Logitech mouse? I've always been a fan of the shape of their mice so I figured I'd probably stick with them.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

What's the recommended high end Logitech mouse? I've always been a fan of the shape of their mice so I figured I'd probably stick with them.

G500 or the G600 for MMOs

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

r3v3n4nt posted:

I bought an IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 back when I was a CounterStrike pro. Ten years later, no problems at all. It's seen me go from huge 40lb CRT monitors to widescreen LCDs and lasted through 4, maybe 5 builds. And of course, uncountable numbers of rage-smashed/soda-soaked keyboards.

I don't get why they quit making these.

What's the closest thing in terms of feel and weight that they make today?

I was shocked as hell to find, and immediately snatched up an Intellimouse explorer 3.0 on clearance from a B&M Best Buy a few weeks ago. You may still be able to find a new 3.0, if not from B&M then maybe Amazon. I loved the older Intelli-mice but if I hadn't chanced upon this I probably would have gone with the G400. I think nothing quite beats the Intellimouse in terms of ergonomics but the G400 felt pretty good in playing around with it.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."
My Logitech G9 just died on me (or rather, the cord did), about two months after its warranty ended. I don't game that much anymore, but I did like the sensitivity of the mouse. Is the G9X pretty much the same?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Yes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Paramour posted:

My Logitech G9 just died on me (or rather, the cord did), about two months after its warranty ended. I don't game that much anymore, but I did like the sensitivity of the mouse. Is the G9X pretty much the same?

Try asking Logitech anyway. They might give you a replacement even off warranty because they're cool like that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mouse problem? Currently own a Razer Lachesis and love it. I bought a large cloth pad (XXL Ripper) and realized that my pointer was jumping all over the place. Upon some research it seems this might be because cloth is not suited for a laser guide mouse or one using a higher DPI (which I use). Am I correct in that thinking? I had previously been just going straight on the desk but over time it started to cause the paint to fade and I want to avoid ruining a corner of the desk altogether.

In any event, I either need to ditch the pad or find a way to get the mouse to work right on it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would a hard mousepad solve the issue or is there something I'm not doing right?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mouse problem? Currently own a Razer Lachesis and love it. I bought a large cloth pad (XXL Ripper) and realized that my pointer was jumping all over the place. Upon some research it seems this might be because cloth is not suited for a laser guide mouse or one using a higher DPI (which I use). Am I correct in that thinking? I had previously been just going straight on the desk but over time it started to cause the paint to fade and I want to avoid ruining a corner of the desk altogether.

In any event, I either need to ditch the pad or find a way to get the mouse to work right on it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would a hard mousepad solve the issue or is there something I'm not doing right?

switch to a hard plastic pad
dpi would not change anything if the mouse is jumping around.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
My G9X has no problem on a regular cloth mat with the DPI all the way up. Check and make sure there's not some dust or something on the sensor.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I run into a problem on another Lachesis I have too. Wondering if maybe that mouse is just garbage as I've seen others complaining about jumping. And maybe "jumping" isn't the best description. What will happen is that once in awhile the cursor will just fly all the way to the left of the screen and sit there. Seems odd that a mouse would struggle to work on a brand name pad but work fine on a crappy Ikea desk. Worth adding that I do have the latest drivers and firmware installed.

I'll give a hard plastic pad a try. Does anyone have any recommendations for a small one? Seems everyone is making them in cloth.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."

Cream_Filling posted:

Try asking Logitech anyway. They might give you a replacement even off warranty because they're cool like that.

Apparently the PID number on the sticker wore out, so there wasnt much they could do to help me.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So I left my g700 somewhere so I broke out the old MX518. used it for maybe a week till I got my g700 back, True it has more thumb buttons and is wireless, but I still find myself with a mx518 plugged in. whats up with that?

Wish they would make a wireless version of the g400, I'd rather not have to pay suitcases full of cash just to get a g7 off ebay.

Also, since everyone is talking about warranty, my g700's completely optional wire for charging the battery went bad, I kind of liked it since it fit into the mouse so nicely, this was also before I started just swapping between 2 eneloops, so I contacted logitech asking if I could buy another one, thinking they'd be like yeah it's 5 bux or hell, since it's logitech, they'd just send out a free one. instead they were like "hey, we just sent out a brand new g700. just throw the old one in the garbage or something".

Niwrad posted:

I'll give a hard plastic pad a try. Does anyone have any recommendations for a small one? Seems everyone is making them in cloth.

Those older lasers only ever worked on the plastic type mouse pads for me, I picked one up from best buy by this company rocketfish, has 2 sides and is pretty dope unfortunately it's not exactly small though. I had similar problems with my g5 mouse and my g9 non X version, yet both my g500 and g700 track just fine on my cheap cloth mouse pad.

So why did they do the switch from optical mice to laser? they never seemed any better, especially since both logitech and razer have optical mice still in production, what benefits does laser have over optical? I remember the first lasers being pimped as being able to track on any surface. Want to use your dog? go ahead! but in reality they could barely track on actual mouse pads and you had to go buy the plastic kind, and optical was already loving awesome and works on any surface that mattered anyway, Both the mx518 and the deathadder are more or less the respective best sellers for logitech and razer.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 30, 2012

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
edit: Fixed it. loving Synergy daemon was messing it all up.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 1, 2012

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any word on what sensor is being used in the Logitech G600? I really like the idea of a mouse like that (not just for MMOs) but I couldn't get past the z-axis problems that the Naga had with its Phillips twin-eye sensor. If the G600 has the same sensor as the G9x it is a definite buy.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

amitlu posted:

z-axis problems

Really, the mouse detects distance from the surface it's on?

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

Really, the mouse detects distance from the surface it's on?

No, but it's sensor had a bug where whenever you would lift the mouse and put it back down the cursor would jump up and to the right. You could actually make the mouse travel across the entire screen without it physically moving in that direction on the mousepad.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

ZeeBoi posted:

NihilCredo posted:

Contact Logitech.

My roommate just called logitech about this exact same problem, though with an older revo (non mx)

Logitech: "I can do nothin for ya, son"

tl,dr: if your revo is broke, you have to buy a new (old) one, even though its arguably a better mouse than the newer MX.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My MX500 finally died after ~12 years of use, so I'm trying to find a replacement. The G400 and G500 seem like direct replacements, any reason to get the G400 over the G500 besides price? This is for "general computing" and FPSes, not MMOs.

Any reason to consider other brands? I noticed that Razer mice are incredibly popular again but the last one I owned (a Boomslang ~2000) was probably the least durable mouse I ever owned.

EDIT : I guess I should add the G700 to the list since it seems another decedent of the G500. I have zero experience with wireless mouse but I currently have a ghetto clip system to keep the cord out of my way, so it's certainly something I'm interested in.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 2, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

amitlu posted:

No, but it's sensor had a bug where whenever you would lift the mouse and put it back down the cursor would jump up and to the right. You could actually make the mouse travel across the entire screen without it physically moving in that direction on the mousepad.
I've had this experience with all laser mice. It's why I still use optical.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Ordered a G500 to come tomorrow. I've never used a laser mouse I don't think, all optical. So I'm skeptical, but we'll see. Decent enough reviews for me, not expecting a massive game-changer or anything.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I've had this experience with all laser mice. It's why I still use optical.

It doesn't happen with my g9x which uses an Avago ADNS-9500 laser sensor.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think I'm just done with the Razer Lachesis. The other one I had started stopping and starting, seemed to have USB issues. I love the feel of it but it's seriously just more hassle than it's worth.

Does anyone have a recommendation for one that is similar to that feel? I'd prefer it to work on cloth pad I just bought. Had my eyes on the G400 as it looks similar in design and was optical which I'm told works better with cloth. I guess the Deathadder is optical as well?

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 3, 2012

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

thrawn86 posted:

My roommate just called logitech about this exact same problem, though with an older revo (non mx)

Logitech: "I can do nothin for ya, son"

tl,dr: if your revo is broke, you have to buy a new (old) one, even though its arguably a better mouse than the newer MX.

I had a problem with the left mouse button on my aging revolution which drove me crazy for a few months (it kept releasing when I was trying to select text, for example) but either I managed to dislodge whatever was in the way or it just stopped on its own.

I hope this thing can hold up for another 5 years. I have some issues recharging the battery but it eventually seems to work if I get it into the charger at the right angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have a recommendation for a wrist rest? I don't really need a mouse pad but my wrist gets sore where it rests on the desk so I figured one of those pads might help.