Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Well my 3rd job is ninja, so I'm at white mage/mystic knight/ninja pretty much identical to a normal run id usually do so far, minus black mage or summoner, oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, I read that somewhere else as well but is it actually true? Like, even when using Catoblepas from the Magic Lamp it doesn't work never mind relying on casting Break a billion times hoping that it might actually stick. Plus, when I checked several other things they all had Petrification listed on that segment's immunities too which makes the issue kinda confusing.

e; Okay, yeah, it is true. Somehow managed to work first try this fight. Now I just have to not get screwed over by Grand Cross while I whittle down that and the physical part.

I'll also confirm that I've had Catoblepas from the Magic Lamp petrify the Almagest section of Neo-Exdeath. Happened in one of my attempts on my Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Dancer run. (Sadly, I did not win that attempt.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I love boss fights where my geomancers can use Cave In. It's like a 0 MP meteor spell. Doing 800-1700dmg four times on the dragon grass (since bio can clear away the minions it keeps creating) per use made that fight go a lot faster than I expected.

For people with Beastmasters if you want/need a bunch of XP and levels once you're in world two just save outside the castle with the legendary weapons in it, give as many people Control as you can, and control the dragons inside. Once controlled you can just make them use Flame on themselves for around 5k damage and it's magic so you keep control of them. Should be something like 2500xp per kill. Remember to save often :eng101:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I'm enjoying Black Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai run so far, but I feel like I have no synergy with the classes at all. They don't really benefit each other, so I'm pretty much just pumping out as much damage as possible. Gravity into Catch is pretty handy though, but other than catching the right monsters for a good spell for a specific fight, in general I feel very weak.

Smooglepoot
May 20, 2009
I have all my classes now! Playing on hardmode with berserker risk I got: Monk/Berserk/Berserk/Red Mage.

I have my berserkers using barehanded and they seem to be doing good damage at the moment. The run has been pretty boring so far. The only strategies I've had available to me were "Kill the Berserkers", "Grind Levels", with the last minute addition of "Break Rods!"

Everything is set for me to go to the next world now and I'm debating if I should grind gil for an angel ring or two.

Smooglepoot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 17, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

W.T. Fits posted:

I'll also confirm that I've had Catoblepas from the Magic Lamp petrify the Almagest section of Neo-Exdeath. Happened in one of my attempts on my Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Dancer run. (Sadly, I did not win that attempt.)

I just got what I can only assume is incredibly lucky with Break, which ended up leading to this:

Hurray. Not quite the first person, either on the forum or in the fiesta, to finish but given what I was dealt I'd say it went surprisingly well.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
So I have Blue Mage/Time Mage, and I am having the weirdest amount of trouble. Despite the awesomeness of Blue Magic, I find myself with a very low offense, with the only real attack I have being Goblin Punch since Aero is starting to lose its luster. I'm at the Library, does anyone have any tips?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Not an Owl posted:

So I have Blue Mage/Time Mage, and I am having the weirdest amount of trouble. Despite the awesomeness of Blue Magic, I find myself with a very low offense, with the only real attack I have being Goblin Punch since Aero is starting to lose its luster. I'm at the Library, does anyone have any tips?

Get aqua rake from chimeras in the desert north of the library.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
If you want to do it again you can grab Aera off the Gigas mobs in the exploding castle. Just wait around and they'll cast it eventually.

Alternatively farm some gold (wild nakks outside Karnakk aren't too bad for this) and pick up a few dozen flame rods for breaking fun. Aqua Rake will end up being quite a large portion of your mana pool at that level, but if it's just for dealing with random encounters, it's quite handy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dragonatrix posted:

I just got what I can only assume is incredibly lucky with Break, which ended up leading to this:

Hurray. Not quite the first person, either on the forum or in the fiesta, to finish but given what I was dealt I'd say it went surprisingly well.

Congrats on the victory, especially with two Berserkers!

Mini-update for my run: Picked up Bard, finally. Took three attempts with Sandworm. I refuse to actively kill my Berserker, so I have the Sandworm do it for me (eventually). Ended up in a stalemate with my two Monks Chakraing and Sandworm using Quicksand until I bit the bullet and gave them both an Elixir. Then they wiped him out. Meanwhile, Cray Claw was a joke, as my Berserker ripped him apart. Berserker's pretty great whenever he isn't a liability.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Not an Owl posted:

Blood Suck/Vampire from the bats in the Pirate Cave is amazing. At least in the GBA version, it deals MaxHP-CurrentHP and heals you for the same amount. That, Aqua Rake/Lung, and Doomclaw are most of the offense that I used to get through world 1. LVL5 Doom is great for a few battles, make sure you grab it from Page 64 in the Library. Essentially, you have the tools to utterly trivialize most boss battles. Byblos? Doomclaw and hit it after you nab Magic Hammer. Sol Cannon? LVL5 Death the launchers and keep healthy with Vampire. Break Rods if you feel like it.

My team of Blue Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon is actually working out pretty well. Ground out a Doom Sickle from the guys on crescent island, so the Berserker has been pretty helpful though I really wish it could spam Vampire like the rest of my guys. Most bosses end up with my Berserker dead and the guys with !Blue at full health. !Gaia was pretty helpful in random battles and a few bosses. Once you consistently start getting Wind Slash or Earthquake instead of the single target stuff you just crap out all sorts of damage. Dragoon is just sort of there. Beefy attacker with !Blue for some utility. I'll probably grind out Equip Spear for my Berserker once my gear catches up with the Doom Sickle in terms of power.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Not an Owl posted:

Minrad posted:

If you want to do it again you can grab Aera off the Gigas mobs in the exploding castle. Just wait around and they'll cast it eventually.

You can also pick up Aera in the Library from the Page 32 enemies, if you missed getting it from the castle.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Minrad posted:

If you don't want to go back, one of the Page enemies in the library also does it. It's really not worth going back just for Aera.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Tricky posted:

Blood Suck/Vampire from the bats in the Pirate Cave is amazing. At least in the GBA version, it deals MaxHP-CurrentHP and heals you for the same amount. That, Aqua Rake/Lung, and Doomclaw are most of the offense that I used to get through world 1. LVL5 Doom is great for a few battles, make sure you grab it from Page 64 in the Library. Essentially, you have the tools to utterly trivialize most boss battles. Byblos? Doomclaw and hit it after you nab Magic Hammer. Sol Cannon? LVL5 Death the launchers and keep healthy with Vampire. Break Rods if you feel like it.

Actually, the formula for Vampire/Blood Suck is as follows:

The Algorithm FAQ on GameFAQs posted:

VAMPIRE
If Hit is successful then Damage drained = (MAX HP - HP)/2
On Undead, target is healed and caster is damaged.

It's still an excellent method of healing in the first two worlds, though, and can even do some significant damage to enemies.

To beat Sol Cannon, if you have a character or two at level 18, or just before it, use Dark Shock to cut the Cannon's level in half (to 18), and then Goblin Punch it to death.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
Update on my First-time-through-FFV-Four-Job-Fiesta-easymode Run

First job I got was Black Mage, which all in all was pretty straight forward game of find the weakness and then spam it. The only problem fight I had was Garula where I went out and bought 40 potions only to realize that all I needed was to set all my mages to backrow and they take far less damage.

Next I got Red Mage. At first I thought I was getting too much magic into my build but no, red mages really can do everything. Slapped a couple of mytheral swords on them and they became my main attackers. As well, they became my only healers with access to Cure and Raise and Libra being drat useful for finding the weakness of enemies. So yeah, no complaints with that job pick.

My latest job is the Geomancer, which I barely played with but seems not bad for having a free magic attack. That, and I finally get to use that Diamond Bell back from Tycoon castle which is surprisingly strong. I think my Karnak castle run went well. I managed to snag the ribbon, the main gauche and esuna which seem like the major ones at least.

At this point at least, I think I can make it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

Actually, the formula for Vampire/Blood Suck is as follows:

That's the old formula for the SNES and PSX versions. The GBA version for some reason changed it so that now it does damage and heals you for exactly the amount of HP you're missing, which makes it much better.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
I've gotten my four jobs now.

Knight/Red Mage/Bard/Samurai.

The Bard has not yet become really useful, as most of the good songs aren't in the first world. Free Regen helps during boss fights and fights Sap nicely though. The Red Mage is pretty great so far, though that will eventually wear off as the enemies become too strong for their magic to deal with. Still, it'll be great support for my fighters and both Knights and Samurais are good at killing things without needing MP.

I practiced using Thief/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Chemist and I think my Fiesta setup is going to be stronger overall.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

W.T. Fits posted:

That's the old formula for the SNES and PSX versions. The GBA version for some reason changed it so that now it does damage and heals you for exactly the amount of HP you're missing, which makes it much better.

Yup. Definitely a full heal every time it hits.

Metajo
Nov 1, 2006

Created by R-Force Software
Your Console Sucks
Beating Omniscient without magic

:suicide:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fungah! posted:

You should always have steal by that point. Get thyself the Thief Knife.

And this is why Thief gets my vote as probably the most useless class. My berserker can at least put out big numbers, and I've had the Doom Axe insta-kill a surprising amount of bosses. A Thief's one gimmick of use is stealing, any anybody who can use a dagger can do that.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

sunburstbasser posted:

I've gotten my four jobs now.

Knight/Red Mage/Bard/Samurai.

The Bard has not yet become really useful, as most of the good songs aren't in the first world. Free Regen helps during boss fights and fights Sap nicely though. The Red Mage is pretty great so far, though that will eventually wear off as the enemies become too strong for their magic to deal with. Still, it'll be great support for my fighters and both Knights and Samurais are good at killing things without needing MP.

I practiced using Thief/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Chemist and I think my Fiesta setup is going to be stronger overall.

You're completely wrong on Bard. Alluring Air shuts down most random encounters while Romeo's Ballad works on a surprising number of enemies (all those freaking turrets in Ronka). And when I get Requiem the :black101: begins (can someone put a harp on that)?

How useful is !Drink? It seems like !Mix does a lot of what that does already, but throwing it on a thirsty Monk seems useful...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Drink is pretty crap. Down a few Hero Drinks and it's not bad though, the problem is getting them.

Metajo posted:

Beating Omniscient without magic

:suicide:

Haha I just finished that fight, had my emulator on fast forward for like 3 loving hours. Glad thats over.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

So I have my final job, the set up is dancer/white mage/mystic knight/ninja all in all not bad but I suspect dual wield spell blade will be doing a lot of the hard work

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
How long does this Job Fiesta thing last? I wanna know when I should bother to follow the thread again cause I couldn't care less about this thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I'm in the thing and I find the discussion interesting but discussion of the actual FF games beyond a challenge in 5 has basically completely stopped. Maybe it would have been better to make a separate thread?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Schwartzcough posted:

And this is why Thief gets my vote as probably the most useless class. My berserker can at least put out big numbers, and I've had the Doom Axe insta-kill a surprising amount of bosses. A Thief's one gimmick of use is stealing, any anybody who can use a dagger can do that.

You don't get the Thief Knife until world 3, and it doesn't even attempt to Capture 100% of the time. Thus, the Thief still has its uses. :colbert:

Epi Lepi posted:

How long does this Job Fiesta thing last? I wanna know when I should bother to follow the thread again cause I couldn't care less about this thing.

It's until August, so if you're only interested in 13-2 chat or whatever, you'll have to wait until then.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Drink is okay if you don't want to futz around with Mix but still want other people in your party to get some buffs.

Speed Drink is Haste. Iron Draft is Protect. Goliath Tonic doubles your HP, and Hero Cocktail increases your level by 10.

Power Drink is worthless since it's bugged. It's supposed to raise your attack power, but the coding is hosed up and it only applies the increase to your attack power with the spell Goblin Punch.

Justine Snowe
Aug 12, 2004
So far I've got Knight/Summoner/Summoner. One chance left for Berserker.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

You're completely wrong on Bard. Alluring Air shuts down most random encounters while Romeo's Ballad works on a surprising number of enemies (all those freaking turrets in Ronka). And when I get Requiem the :black101: begins (can someone put a harp on that)?

How useful is !Drink? It seems like !Mix does a lot of what that does already, but throwing it on a thirsty Monk seems useful...

I got through the turrets with two Knights, Dbl. Grip and Coral swords, Red Mage with Thunder Rod casting Bolt 2, and gave my Bard Red Lv. 3 to also cast Bolt 2. My knights are hitting hard enough that so far I haven't had much problem. I've used the other songs mostly for fun so far. I really wanted to have my Bard confuse Skull Eaters but it wasn't working. And with Requiem, I will fear no undead.

I suppose if you've got !Drink but don't have !Mix yet you can switch your classes around. Speed potions are plentiful enough. Otherwise !Mix is where the Chemist really destroys the game.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Ah well unlocked my final job:

Thief/Beserker/Geomancer/Dragoon

I'm not sure if I have the best method. I just keep spam fighting in the fireship until I get 99 hi-potions then move onto the next fight. Probably not in the spirit of things but it seems to be getting the job done. Thank christ I can increase the speed on this thing though, if it wasn't for 400% speed I'd have rage quit after rolling Beserker.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Arrrgh, Purobolos keep using arise. Any advice? I get down to two then BAM back upto 5 or 6.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Xillah posted:

Arrrgh, Purobolos keep using arise. Any advice? I get down to two then BAM back upto 5 or 6.

Mage Mashers from Jachol. They can't Arise when Muted.

Good luck! That looks like the worst possible combination of classes :(

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Beat Garula with four White Mages. Bah on Freelancers! All you need is protect, the flail, lots of cure, and a fast forward button! :black101:

And now...you can now use the Water Job 'Mystic Knight'. Time to buy lots of magic!

gently caress yes. I was worried I would lack offensive power in this run. Not happening.

Edit: After Garula

Ayana fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 18, 2012

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012
Having a lot of fun with this, even with my party of thieves taking forever to kill anything. Garula wasn't too tough so maybe I'll actually get to the end of the game this time. I can't wait to see what job I get ne-

Gilgaboooot :argh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I finally got all four jobs.

Monk, White Mate, Berserker, Black Maye. Fairly nice. Decently powerful without being absurd.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Just signed up for this (never beat FFV or any Final Fantasy game before, but I've played through a lot of them) and got Black Mage as my first job. LIGHTNING. EVERYWHERE.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Xillah posted:

They have a very low amount of MP (100) and they'll run out very quickly as a result of that. Useful if you're lacking AoE attacks at least, and it only takes about 2 casts before they can't do it any more.

Alternatively, you can wittle them all down to very low HP and let them all self-destruct rather than revive each other.

E; added a few missing words :downs:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 18, 2012

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Ahaha my girlfriend finally got her 4th job from the fiesta, she is on monk/time mage/knight/knight, every fight has been a slog and hoping regen is enough to not die, this is her first playthrough of ffv, the poor soul

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just got my fourth job...

Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage

Well, I was wanting a magic class... Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Finished the Fiesta last night, but was too tired to even make a wrap-up post about it. After a wipe to Neo-Exdeath because I forgot he tards the gently caress out when only 1 part is left, the same strategy of 'cast holy until you win' took out the game with mind-numbing ease.

With a final party makeup of White Mage, Thief, Berserker and Monk, I can say I got off really really easy despite signing up for berserker risk. The hardest parts of the game were probably Byblos and the Sol Cannon. As soon as I got my hands on the first 3 sealed weapons, the game was way easier. The moment Holy was acquired, though, the game was over. Like, completely over.

Also spamming cure3 for like 14mp made everything in the last fight completely trivial I guess!!

Luceid fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 18, 2012