Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Replaced my blown sub with a new JL audio unit. Now to see what breaks in 2 days to maintain the equilibrium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Aimed the headlights on my new e34, the last owner had them so loving far off they were basically high beams. When I started they were hitting the spot where the concrete joins the siding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In need of some space so I gave the Lightning a very thorough wash and took it over to stay at my mother's house for a while. Probably going to leave it there from now on unless I need to move something huge.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Swapped the starter on my 330i yesterday/today. Worst job I've ever had to do.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
Finished detailing the NSX this morning. Four evenings after work this week to clean, polish and wax her.

I think the previous owner polished it with 50 grit.

After that, I went to an owners meet.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Technically I did this yesterday, but I picked up a set of OE peelers for the S4 (and got them for a steal), but now I need to find some rubber and some centercaps for them. I'm thinking Pilot Super Sports, but not sure if they're worth the $400 premium.

GramCracker posted:

What did I do to my car today? I got so bothered by the Civic thing I put it up for sale (as a feeler ad, of course)

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5919-FS-2012-Fiat-Abarth&p=561751#post561751

Okay, holy poo poo. Expect an email from me soon.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 17, 2012

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

GTi_guy posted:

Finished detailing the NSX this morning. Four evenings after work this week to clean, polish and wax her.

I think the previous owner polished it with 50 grit.

After that, I went to an owners meet.

I'm very sad there are no pictures with this post :colbert:

Put a new drier in the GTI so I can get the A/C charged this week some time.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
Made a rear door spare tire mount.

Mounted said mount.

Attached tire to mount.

Tire is big. I am now tired.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
After the starter job I decided to swap my primary tensioner spring. New one on the right.

I was not expecting it to be that much shorter. Idles way better now though, and I don't get chain rattle when I let off the gas.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Bought a new one, drove it 500 miles home, gave it a quick bath and took this picture. Very happy with it :)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

Okay, holy poo poo. Expect an email from me soon.

The new wheels look better than the ones you got the car with. But I'm still waiting on that email. :colbert:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Started to swap out the right drive axle on my shitbox Sentra, because the CV boot was split, flinging CV grease all over loving everything in the wheel well and making horrendous noises when turning left. Liberal application of brake clean only served to spread that poo poo around and make it flow more easily. After much swearing and straining I got the axle out...and half the seal came out with it, which I had mangled with the prybar. I did not get another seal when I got the new axle, because I was told that if I was careful I could reuse the old one, since it wasn't leaking.

So the car sits, undriveable, unable to be assembled with either the old bits or the new bits, because I'm a clumsy fuckhead. I'll get one at work this week, but until then I feel like a huge dummy. It also turns out that even after scrubbing with hand cleaner and soap my skin is now permanently stained with CV grease so everyone can see how dumb I am.

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 24, 2020

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Man, I am the only one who HAS to wear gloves when working on cars? This picture makes my skin crawl.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

opengl128 posted:

Man, I am the only one who HAS to wear gloves when working on cars? This picture makes my skin crawl.

I usually use barrier cream but I forgot it at work.

edit: there is actually a pair of gloves on the ground to the left outside the frame

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

I try to keep them on but inevitably they come off and I forget to put them back on.

In other words, get dirty you sissy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

In other words, get dirty you sissy.

If it helps, the last time I changed my oil I got a face/hair full of hot, used oil when the filter dropped into the pan. It was all I could smell for the next day.

Still though, used oil has WAY too much nasty/potentially carcinogenic stuff going on for me to want it embedded in my skin/under my nails for any length of time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

If it helps, the last time I changed my oil I got a face/hair full of hot, used oil when the filter dropped into the pan. It was all I could smell for the next day.

Still though, used oil has WAY too much nasty/potentially carcinogenic stuff going on for me to want it embedded in my skin/under my nails for any length of time.

Do you not have soap in your house?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Do you not have soap in your house?

Of course I do. I'm also admittedly a massive pussy :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

Of course I do. I'm also admittedly a massive pussy :)

I put used motor oil on my corn flakes.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

opengl128 posted:

Quite the opposite; I have to be able to feel what I'm doing. [condom analogy]

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

stevobob posted:

Started to swap out the right drive axle on my ghetto sled Sentra, because the CV boot was split, flinging CV grease all over loving everything in the wheel well and making horrendous noises when turning left. Liberal application of brake clean only served to spread that poo poo around and make it flow more easily. After much swearing and straining I got the axle out...and half the seal came out with it, which I had mangled with the prybar. I did not get another seal when I got the new axle, because I was told that if I was careful I could reuse the old one, since it wasn't leaking.

So the car sits, undriveable, unable to be assembled with either the old bits or the new bits, because I'm a clumsy fuckhead. I'll get one at work this week, but until then I feel like a huge dummy. It also turns out that even after scrubbing with hand cleaner and soap my skin is now permanently stained with CV grease so everyone can see how dumb I am.

I've never ever pulled a driveshaft out without replacing the seal. I mean, at most it's a $15 dollar part, right? And you're already pulling the shaft out. Seems like re-using the seal is an invitation to have it start leaking and have to do it all again in a month or two. Seems like you got some pretty lovely advice :(

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Memento1979 posted:

I've never ever pulled a driveshaft out without replacing the seal. I mean, at most it's a $15 dollar part, right? And you're already pulling the shaft out. Seems like re-using the seal is an invitation to have it start leaking and have to do it all again in a month or two. Seems like you got some pretty lovely advice :(

The guy who said it to me has been an auto mechanic for 12+ years, so he can probably swap the axle without loving up the seal. I actually would have had the new seal too but the parts guy at work forgot to order it, and I mentioned this to mechanic dude and that's when he told me I might not need it. Oh well, I'll get it done.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Personally, I've only replaced them if they're leaking or look like they're about to leak. Never had an issue.

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009
Finally got the hang of launching the car properly. Not too bad for 270 hp at the wheels

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Thehit posted:

Finally got the hang of launching the car properly. Not too bad for 270 hp at the wheels

I am assuming your trap speed is KPH? What kind of car?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tracked down a 98 SE 5 speed for $395 on car-part.com... 3 miles away. :allears: My mechanic warned me to be careful dealing with the owner of the place, warning me "he's one of them Iranians that has Mexican mechanics, you can't trust them!" :bahgawd: - I'm gonna guess that was some not-so-subtle racism on his part, particularly since the majority of the yards around here are owned by immigrants.

Went by that yard to talk to the owner. Seemed like a decent guy, told me the 98 drove in under its own power, but was rearended. It looked to be in decent shape (aside from the rear bumper being shoved into the trunk and the typical body wrinkles after that kind of hit).

He offered a 30 day parts/labor warranty if I have them install it. Labor was $350, which is a little more than I wanted to pay, but certainly not out of line for a transmission swap. I did try to barter a little, but he just laughed and said "You know this is a good price".

So.. their mechanic drove me back (exclaiming "Muy mal!" at the noises it was making), then drove my car back to the shop. They have to pull the transmission out of the 98 first - he said they might have it done tonight, I told him I'd rather they not rush it.. so he promised tomorrow.

My normal mechanic offered to give it a quick once over when I pick it up. I suspect I'll need to replace the axle seals at some point, but if they're only seeping a little, I'll just top it off every few weeks until I can afford to do that.

Hopefully this one lasts more than 300 miles. :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 18, 2012

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
Spotted a fresh door ding :(

For six years I had a car my wife didn't want to drive and I didn't suffer one ding due to human causes the entire time. One week into sharing, and it begins already.

Rock chips are going to happen and they're an act of nature I can accept, but dings are so easily avoided. I'm wondering if it's worth investing in a PDR kit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PXJ800 posted:

Spotted a fresh door ding :(

For six years I had a car my wife didn't want to drive and I didn't suffer one ding due to human causes the entire time. One week into sharing, and it begins already.

Rock chips are going to happen and they're an act of nature I can accept, but dings are so easily avoided. I'm wondering if it's worth investing in a PDR kit.

I going to retire my "nice" car at the end of the summer to garage duty because of the NINE loving DINGS AND CHIPS I've gained because of lovely parking.

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I am assuming your trap speed is KPH? What kind of car?

Yup, kph haha. I'd be a sad panda if I was doing mid 12s at 175 mph.
It's an Evo 6, so fair bit of weight in it too.

Got an FP Red sitting here next to me, and waiting on some cams to turn up, then gonna try and go for 400hp atw and see how well the stock internals can take it haha.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Limped home saturday, TDI acted like it had no turbo boost.

Took off the hose going to the MAF sensor and air filter box. Suddenly my turbo spools like a tiny diesel demon and I have immense amount of power.

Bad MAF, I'm not going to bother putting the hose back on, added a simple cone filter.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Billy Tully posted:

I'm very sad there are no pictures with this post :colbert:

Sorry, some pics from the meet are here:

http://www.scarfonephoto.com/2012/nsx-club-bbq/

I haven't bothered to upload my before/after photos of the 12 hours of torture yet.

GTi_guy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 19, 2012

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Changed the plugs and wires on the F150 today.

It had Motorcraft wires on it so I thought to myself "how nice, the PO must have used OEM parts last time they were done."

I pulled the first plug and found this...

:barf:
Then I pulled the plug out of the socket and saw it was OEM too, with super old/dry dielectric grease still on the end.

How the rest of them looked

New vs. old

Dat gap

Honestly, I don't think anyone has ever changed the plugs on this truck, and if they did, it was a loooong time ago. It's strange that I never had any misfires and my previous hard starting issue went away after I changed the fuel filter. It has 170k on it now so yeah, it was way overdue.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think nutcup could squeeze a truck through that gap :rimshot: But seriously, those look worse than what I pulled out of my Altima at 140k... and it had a nasty miss when it was cold, though it still started easily. Your truck must have a pretty healthy ignition system to fire.... those. Which engine?

What kind of plugs are the new ones though? I haven't seen a non-plated plug (threads) for anything except lawn equipment in awhile.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Thehit posted:

Yup, kph haha. I'd be a sad panda if I was doing mid 12s at 175 mph.
It's an Evo 6, so fair bit of weight in it too.

Got an FP Red sitting here next to me, and waiting on some cams to turn up, then gonna try and go for 400hp atw and see how well the stock internals can take it haha.

If you're only aiming for 400 whp, a Red is a bit of an overblown choice. Considering 6 bolt 4G63s with stock cast internals can fart around at 400 WHP all day, I don't think it's a big deal.

I'm looking to hit 400AWHP on a FP3065 before calling it a day.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

some texas redneck posted:

What kind of plugs are the new ones though? I haven't seen a non-plated plug (threads) for anything except lawn equipment in awhile.

Autolite. I've no idea what that black finish is, but every one I've ever seen had it.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

I think nutcup could squeeze a truck through that gap :rimshot: But seriously, those look worse than what I pulled out of my Altima at 140k... and it had a nasty miss when it was cold, though it still started easily. Your truck must have a pretty healthy ignition system to fire.... those. Which engine?

It has the 4.6l V8 and yeah, the new plugs were Autolites as Bucephalus pointed out.
I also found a pinhole leak in the top of my radiator so I've ordered a bunch of stuff from RockAuto which should be here by the end of the week. Luckily it's a very slow leak so I can still drive it to work in the meantime.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Blew the mufflers up. Points hosed up on it 70 miles from home and I had no idea what the hell points did or how they worked (I loving do now).

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Put a new roof on my tatty £750 MX-5:

Yes my boot lid is purple in the wrong light light what of it :colbert:

Cost me £140 from a nice guy at work who's breaking one to make a kit car. It's been sitting in his garage and is filthy but it's in much better condition than my old one. :)

And my flat's new furniture:

This is at least half the total space in my living room, I need to strip the remnants of the old roof off the frame and flog it on ebay. Somehow despite the amount of water it let in the frame is in remarkably good condition. Meanwhile my old rear screen and rain rail were primarily made of gaffer tape.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
After getting it through its inspection yesterday I discovered the beginnings of the only thing that will kill a 9000: hidden rot at the bottom of the windscreen. So I pulled the wipers and plasticy bits off and got to work with wirebrush and Hammerite. So hopefully that will be the end of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Turns out that lovely $395 transmission had a whole 70k miles on it. Totally worn out. :argh: And by that, I mean the drat thing feels brand loving new. The synchros feel like they're just barely broken in. Though I can't remember if the SE got a shorter final drive ratio or not - it's been so long since I've had the car above about 30 that I can't remember what kind of RPMs it was spinning on the highway before - but it seems like it's a bit higher now. But hey, 3 months since it's seen above about 35 for more than a few seconds, so my memory is a bit hazy.

Also, 160,666 miles with the cruise set at 66 mph. :getin:

Put about 70 miles on it today with the car packed so full that the rear suspension was almost on the bump stops :smith: - but I'm out of the dorms and back in Dallas now. Car didn't so much as hiccup.

Just wish I'd thought to snag the SE cluster from the donor car - the SE got a much better looking cluster that plugs right in, though I'd have to make the odometer match if I did that (well I wouldn't HAVE to, but I'd prefer to).

:siren: MYSTERY SOLVED :siren: Found the VIN tag on the transmission and ran it through the free side of Carfax. It's a 2000, which means I lucked out and got the 3.83 final drive instead of the 3.65 the 93-99 models got. Downside is I have no idea how many miles are on it now, but it shifts like it's nearly new. And it's worth 3-4x what I paid for it.

edit: and another mystery :smith: - ran the VIN on the transmission through AutoCheck. The car it originated from was scrapped for flood damage in 2003 with 47k. But if it was pulled from a working vehicle yesterday, like they said it was, I would think anything that's going to break would have broken by now. It looks like it's been apart at some point too, there's a rather sloppy bead of (not fresh) sealant between the two halves of the case... plus the surface rust on the bolts holding it together look like they've been subjected to some tools at some point.

At least he gave me a 30 day warranty, and it has what looks to be a pretty average amount of road grime on it. :ohdear:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 20, 2012