Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Planning to make a version of this quite soon: http://www.poiresauchocolat.net/2010/05/whisky-and-dark-chocolate-beautiful-and.html . A little nervous about it, I don't normally do boozy cakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad.
Apr 25, 2010
I'm set to do pastry work for some friends' wedding in a few months. They just want macarons with a blue-orange color scheme. I'm set on making a mango macaron and one made with blueberries/huckleberries. I've concocted some good methods utilizing freeze-dried fruit powder and fruit acids to get bright, natural flavors in the macaron shell, as well as the natural pigment.

The mango macaron has mostly been figured out. I think I'll change the filling to use a sweetened saffron risotto built with the mango curd filling.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Made this cake in a class last night

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
dad. that looks so great!!

I made the Sky High chocolate cake with cream cheese peanut butter frosting, chocolate peanut butter glaze, and peanut brittle.

Protip: Should probably wait for chocolate glaze to cool a bit before pouring so it doesn't turn into a gigantic flow of lava. (Showing you guys the non-lava side :smith: )

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Cake update: I gave the handbag cake to a friend and he ate a hefty quantity of it. I learned via a mutual friend that he now thinks I poisoned him because his poo poo turned green. I'm so used to food colouring loving with my digestive system that it didn't occur to me to warn him that black fondant does stuff like that

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I made the Swiss buttercream Pez gave the recipe for earlier in the thread. There were two, possibly related problems. First it was too soft. I'm thinking the butter wasn't cold enough. Second it kind of separated in the fridge the next day. Where did I go wrong?

It was still the best frosting ever. Makes me wonder what my grandma passed off as buttercream that led my mom to insist that frosting from a can tasted way better than homemade.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Brennanite posted:

I made the Swiss buttercream Pez gave the recipe for earlier in the thread. There were two, possibly related problems. First it was too soft. I'm thinking the butter wasn't cold enough. Second it kind of separated in the fridge the next day. Where did I go wrong?

It was still the best frosting ever. Makes me wonder what my grandma passed off as buttercream that led my mom to insist that frosting from a can tasted way better than homemade.

Does it work under fondant? I've got a cake planned that originally called for Swiss buttercream to cover it, but I don't think it can be kept cold during the day, so it looks like I'm going to have to go for fondant, but I'd like to have something nice underneath

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Made the raspberry buttermilk cake from Smitten Kitchen but forgot to take a picture before it was all eaten.... Very delicious and moist and great for breakfast!

Alpha Q. Up
May 14, 2003

Lemmy IS God!!!
Loving the cakes in this thread. So much inspiration.

I have been trying to make more cakes recently. I love baking cakes, it's like delicious science. :)

For my birthday I made a peanut butter cheese cake basically following this recipe and it was super awesome. I omitted the peanut butter cups on top and if I make it again I will forgo the peanut butter patties because it doesn't jive with the texture of the cheesecake and is too peanut buttery. I'd actually like to try the pb cups on top next time too.

For my dad's birthday I made a rum soaked German chocolate cake following this. I love boozy cakes for the taste and moisture. This was a big hit. More of the coconut/pecan frosting than the recipe calls for would be an improvement.

For my brother's birthday I made a red velvet ice cream cake. Interesting combination but it was my brother's request so i obliged. :) I followed this recipe for the cake. I cut up some vanilla bean ice cream to put between the cake layers and it turned out pretty good. The mascarpone and cream cheese frosting was great.

For Mother's Day I made a sort of chocolate/mocha cake with chocolate/mocha buttercream frosting (chocolate/mocha meaning just enough coffee flavor to barely be tasted). This cake rules. I got the cake recipe from my aunt but it is almost exactly this but with less oil. The frosting was from a Gourmet Magazine cookbook my grandpa had which is super awesome and has a ton of decadent recipes from the 50's-80's. It's made with a sugar syrup, 5 egg yolks, 1/2 pound butter, chocolate, coffee and a "generous flavoring" of rum :). I added the rum soak from the German chocolate cake above. Amazing.

Thanks to everyone in the thread for their cakes, it really inspires me. I know that my cakes aren't super fancy like some people here but I try my best and try to get better every time. They taste great tho so I've got that going for me. Anyway, please post more recipes of awesome things so I can bake them for people. :)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
We had a bbq, so I got geeky. I painted the cthulhu out of royal icing onto wax paper, then transferred it to the cake. That is also why the "z" is backwards.

And I know they're not a cake, but I spent for freaking ever on the little figures. It's also a game legal board, after a fashion.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
From the debris of a cake that made me crazy and then fell over, I formed a new cake

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Just finished this one. Made with assorted cake pop mixes (mostly vanilla-baileys, some chocolate cheesecake) covered with fondant and candy melts

Inspired by:

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Love both of them!

Alpha Q. Up
May 14, 2003

Lemmy IS God!!!

flutterbyblue posted:

We had a bbq, so I got geeky. I painted the cthulhu out of royal icing onto wax paper, then transferred it to the cake. That is also why the "z" is backwards.

And I know they're not a cake, but I spent for freaking ever on the little figures. It's also a game legal board, after a fashion.

What kind of game? Catan? Civ V? I am showing my nerd non-cred, but the idea of theme cupcakes is really cool! Recipes/Ideas and/or reception? How did you do hex shapes?

Alpha Q. Up fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 29, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Alpha Q. Up posted:

What kind of game? Catan? Civ V? I am showing my nerd non-cred, but the idea of theme cupcakes is really cool! Recipes/Ideas and/or reception? How did you do hex shapes?

The cupcakes are indeed from Catan. Very nice job flutterbyblue BTW.

Made a 4 layer chocolate velvet cake with butterscotch frosting this weekend. No pics unfortunately, but tasted pretty good.

The amount of food dye the recipe called for is just insane though. 2oz of food dye. Holy poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Those Catan cupcakes are awesome

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks guys! They are actually cookies (ssh, don't tell anyone!), but could easily be put on top of cupcakes. In the process of making them I did learn you can buy tiny hex shaped cake pan mold things though! I might actually do a catan hex torte in the future.

I got the shape by tracing a game tile onto cardboard, covering the cardboard with foil and attaching a foil handle, and then just cutting around the hex shape with a knife. I just used a standard sugar cookie recipe. They also sell hex cookie cutters, but I didn't feel like shelling out for them since I wasn't sure how often I'd use them.

I made all the little figures out of homemade fondant, and they actually tasted really good. People kept eating my sheep! The guys who were hanging out really loved them, in part because Catan is one of the games we play often at parties.

CzarChasm posted:

The cupcakes are indeed from Catan. Very nice job flutterbyblue BTW.

Made a 4 layer chocolate velvet cake with butterscotch frosting this weekend. No pics unfortunately, but tasted pretty good.

The amount of food dye the recipe called for is just insane though. 2oz of food dye. Holy poo poo.

How did you like the butterscotch combination with the red velvet? It sounds intriguing, if you've got a recipe I'd like to try it. At the very least I'll get to listen to my chef friend bitch about red velvet.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Are pies welcome here?

Didn't have enough blueberries for a proper pie, so I made little ones.

DSC_3214 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_3217 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_3220 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_3223 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

I had already scarfed a pie before I took that last picture. Also, sorry for not bothering to get my flash.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

:aaaaa: What a great idea! Recipe please?

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

:aaaaa: What a great idea! Recipe please?

Sure, it's just half a pie recipe, with a single crust rolled out into teeny circles.

So: about 2 c. of berries, 1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch or tapioca, 1/2 c. + a few Tbs. sugar (you can use part brown sugar if you like), some lime juice (it's what I had) and little plops of butter on top. Then, whatever crust floats your boat! I used 1 1/4 c. flour, 1/2 c. fat, some salt, and 3 Tbs. cold water. I baked them at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes, and they could've gone a little longer. The blueberry was glooping everywhere like volcanoes, so I rescued them.

Enjoy your tiny pies!

Noggahide
May 16, 2009
I am a piece of shit retard
Wifey and I made this for our son's birthday...

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Black Forest Cake for Grampa's birthday on Memorial Day.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

^^ That is awesome! The Mario Cake especially. But the black forest and mini pies are super too!

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

clarabelle fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 1, 2012

coffee ninja
Oct 16, 2006

i kill with caffeine
I made these a few months ago, and a friend finally sent me the pictures she took of them.

Lime curd filled cupcakes with a vanilla and lime cake and meringue.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

flutterbyblue posted:

How did you like the butterscotch combination with the red velvet? It sounds intriguing, if you've got a recipe I'd like to try it. At the very least I'll get to listen to my chef friend bitch about red velvet.

It was well received, but I need something to pump up the butterscotch flavor. It's kind of like a weak caramel right now. Think I need to add a little more molasses (all out of dark brown sugar). Anywho-
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 ounces red food coloring
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
Pinch salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
Butter, for pan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, make a paste out of the red food coloring, cocoa and salt. Remove bowl from stand mixer and mix in paste by hand to the creamed butter. In a measuring cup, stir eggs with buttermilk and add to batter. Mix in vinegar and vanilla, and then add flour and baking soda. Mix until combined but do not over mix.

Butter a sheet pan. Lay parchment on top. Butter the parchment. Pour batter into pan and smooth the top to even the batter out, using an offset spatula. Bake cake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan.

De-pan and cut into 4 layers, stack with a layer of frosting in-between cake layers.

Frosting
1/2 cup Dark brown sugar
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter, cut into tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine sugar, egg white and salt in bowl of stand mixer. Heat mixture over simmering water whisking constantly until mixture reaches 150 degrees F (2-3 minutes)

Place bowl in stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, until thickened. Add butter, one piece at a time until smooth. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Increase speed to medium high and beat until light and fluffy.

EDIT: A note on the cake batter. It is going to look terrible before you add the flour

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 5, 2012

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Made the rainbowcake here (http://www.omnomicon.com/rainbowcake ) and I'm still wondering how the soda replaces the oil and eggs and all for such a good cake!

I however did gently caress up and after frosting the thing, needed more frosting. But this is a cake for a kid, and I doubt her parents want her so full of sugar! So some of it got spread thin.

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!
I made a cake for my father's birthday the other day! Me first one ever :)

It's chocolate with coconut filling and ganache.
It turned out really good, the only problem is that it could use more filling because the cake was really dense.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
You can't post that without the recipe! What kind of cookies are those?

A few weeks ago, I made this almond cake by Thomas Keller.

It looks like a run of the mill flat cake, like something out of an Entenmann's box. Do not be deceived. It looks ordinary but has a uniquely creamy texture, almost like you could spread it on toast with a knife. It is incredibly delicious, and is supposed to be paired with a strawberry-rhubarb compote, but I don't like rhubarb so I just put ice cream on it. :v:

Here is the same recipe with an accompanying strawberry compote and amaretto ice cream.

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!

Rabbit Hill posted:

You can't post that without the recipe! What kind of cookies are those?

The cookies are from Smitten Kitchen!

Brownie Roll-Out Cookies

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup lightly salted butter, softened (Deb note: I don’t really see “lightly salted” much these days, so I used one stick salted, one stick unsalted)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (I used the “good” stuff–Droste or Galler–but I can assure you that my mother only used Hershey’s growing up, so your choice)

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.

Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes, brushing extra deposits of flour off the top. (It does disappear once baked, though, so don’t overly fret if they go into the oven looking white.) Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes (the former for 1/8-inch thick cookies, the latter for 1/4-inch cookies) until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

The cake is from Martha Stewart, also the ganache! The filling was kind of a mix of recipes haha. It was mess of ideas thrown together, luckily it came out okay :)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks for the recipe CzarChasm.

I think I'm going to have to try that almond cake too.

I have come to realize about 70% of my MacGourmet consists of sweets.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Threadcakes 2012 has started!

Being the annoying little poo poo that I am, I already caused the guy to break the submit function. His inbox was getting spammed because I uploaded 6 entries in about an hour, so he decided to disable email alerts and broke some other stuff in the process.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Dobos torte for my birthday. Considering this was my first try, it wasn't bad at all.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
You made your own birthday cake? I did too and my mom thought it was pretty strange.

I helped a buddy make banana nut cupcakes with peanut butter frosting for father's day. I'm usually not too impressed with the stuff I bake even though everyone else loves it. This time I was shocked at how good these were. If you like peanut butter and or banana bread then make these.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I think I'm just a snob when it comes to cakes. It was my brother's birthday last week and we bought a cake, which was the most disappointing cake I've had. I'd prefer to be able to make a cake I've never done before and know it's going to be good rather than buying a cake of questionable quality. Plus I take all opportunities to bake, so birthdays usually are a must for me.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

yoshesque posted:

Dobos torte for my birthday. Considering this was my first try, it wasn't bad at all.

I've always wanted to try making one of these, it looks great! Any particular recipe I should file away?

I feel the same about store-bought cakes. The big-deal grocery store where I'm from (Wegmans) has this 'Ultimate Chocolate Cake' that they went on and on about when they first came out with it and it's relatively expensive. My mom got a coupon for a free one and it was pretty 'meh'. Our go-to chocolate cake is just the Hershey's old-fashioned recipe and it runs circles around the Wegmans one. Though I suppose if you are used to box cakes a store bought homemade cake would be a big deal.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I've made my birthday cake for the last couple of years. I enjoy the process of baking and decorating cakes as well as eating a really tasty one (because I made it). It's my gift to myself.

My father in law indulges in sweets very rarely but he enjoys a good carrot cake. I made the smitten kitchen carrot cake with cranberries and walnuts. I frosted it with the mascarpone whipped cream from her chocolate wine cake recipe. I think I like it even better than cream cheese frosting. The mascarpone whipped cream tastes like a luxurious room temp vanilla ice cream.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

cocoavalley posted:

I've always wanted to try making one of these, it looks great! Any particular recipe I should file away?

I feel the same about store-bought cakes. The big-deal grocery store where I'm from (Wegmans) has this 'Ultimate Chocolate Cake' that they went on and on about when they first came out with it and it's relatively expensive. My mom got a coupon for a free one and it was pretty 'meh'. Our go-to chocolate cake is just the Hershey's old-fashioned recipe and it runs circles around the Wegmans one. Though I suppose if you are used to box cakes a store bought homemade cake would be a big deal.

No recipe in particular, I just kinda mashed a load of recipes together. Traditionally a dobos torte is supposed to be made with a sponge, but I used the smitten kitchen best birthday cake recipe. I made a full batch of it and the cake was a lot taller than I would've liked (for a 9-inch round), so I'd suggest making a two-thirds batch if you're going to use that. The frosting I used is just a chocolate italian meringue buttercream, and I added a load of hazelnut spread to my frosting for additional hazelnut flavour. If I were to do this again I'd probably also add some hazelnut liqueur to the layers.

For baking the layers, it's a simple affair of tracing a circle on some baking paper and measuring out approximately the same amount of cake batter for each layer. It's definitely the kind of cake you don't want to make if you're in a hurry. Oh, and finally for the toffee-coated cake layer, you want a cake layer that's as thin as possible. For some good tips on constructing the cake, I used this as a guide.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
My uncle made the Momofuku Apple Pie Layer Cake for me for my birthday.

Recipe here

It took him 13 hours (not non-stop, but it takes that long to make all the components and assemble them), and he couldn't find cake rings sold anywhere so he had to improvise with some aluminum sheetmetal from his garage. :3:

Afterwards, he discovered that Sur La Table carries cake rings.

The cake really is phenomenal. Each individual layer is delicious and worthy of standing alone, and combining them into a 6-layer cake alternating between flavors and textures is just a delight in your mouth. The only change I would make is that you could take some of the liquid from cooking the apples (which isn't used in the recipe) and drizzle it on top, since that very top layer of buttercream needs a little something IMO.

Best birthday cake I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

My uncle made the Momofuku Apple Pie Layer Cake for me for my birthday.

Recipe here

It took him 13 hours (not non-stop, but it takes that long to make all the components and assemble them), and he couldn't find cake rings sold anywhere so he had to improvise with some aluminum sheetmetal from his garage. :3:

Afterwards, he discovered that Sur La Table carries cake rings.

The cake really is phenomenal. Each individual layer is delicious and worthy of standing alone, and combining them into a 6-layer cake alternating between flavors and textures is just a delight in your mouth. The only change I would make is that you could take some of the liquid from cooking the apples (which isn't used in the recipe) and drizzle it on top, since that very top layer of buttercream needs a little something IMO.

Best birthday cake I've ever had.

How do you slice and serve something that tall?

• Locked thread