Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It comes in a jar with a red label, a picture of a slightly upset woman, and is made by Laoganma. I...do not know how to type the characters. But it's really easy to find, and it says "Spicy Chili Crisp" right on the jar.

It's tasty stuff, and not terribly, terribly hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

Needs sugar, some hondashi, and a touch of ginger. Sub out rice wine vinegar for black. You need to buy softer tofu if you want it to be softer.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the tofu-type shirataki. You need to buy that already made into noodles, unless you really want to trial and error a proprietary factory made product.

thank you, the sugar made it work. I can't taste the hondashi I put in, so perhaps a bit more next time.

I just need to figure out this tofu noodle thing.

Tin Foil
Aug 12, 2004
Is there some sort of Asian produce guide? My Asian market has a lot of unlabled produce and I would like to have some idea on how to use them. Pictures would be especially helpful.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Tin Foil posted:

Is there some sort of Asian produce guide? My Asian market has a lot of unlabled produce and I would like to have some idea on how to use them. Pictures would be especially helpful.

I can do a quick shpeal off the top of my head of things that come to mind. Generally, though, they're all used in the same way. Stir fried or quick steamed.

Gai lan, kai lan, Chinese broccoli. Most often steamed and topped with oyster sauce thinned with broth.

Bok choy. Usually sliced up and stir fried. The mature version of:

Baby bok choy. I prefer this to the white ribbed mature version. I like it steamed with a ginger chicken stock, sliced into slivers and stir fried with noodles, stir fried with a meat of some sort.

Napa cabbage. The usual kimchi cabbage, is also added to clay pot stews, used to line steamers, and stir fried with noodles. You can also shred it and make a slaw or salad, you can blanch it and wrap something with it and braise it.

Yu choy. This is just the greens of the plant that makes rapeseed oil. Treat same as gai lan.

Mizuna. Sometimes called Japanese Mustard. It is yet another brassica (all of these so far, brassicas, same family as collards, mustard, broccoli, cauliflower, kale...). Because of the delicate texture, these can be eaten raw, added to salads, but can also hold up to stir fry.

Pea shoots. Quite possibly my favorite green. Just wilt in a bit of hot sesame oil and a touch of soy sauce. Or dress with a sesame vinaigrette and eat raw.

Garlic chives. Mince and stir fry with ground pork and hot bean sauce. Quick and easy dinner. Can also be used the same way you would use chives or scallions

Yard long beans. The quintessential ingredient in proper Sichuan dry fried beans. To me, these are way better than continental varieties of string beans. The texture is just cooler.

Shiso. Leaves are used as a palate cleanser in chirashizushi. It is an herb that is kinda anise-y, sorta minty, but not really. Pinch a corner off and sneak a taste next time you're there, it's kinda hard to describe.

Thai basil. Used in most south east asian foods. It is like basil, but kinda anise-y. The purple stem is the dead giveaway.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 15, 2012

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Can anyone link me a recommended (and affordable) wok? I don't need anything huge, I'm just going to be cooking on an indoor gas range (do I need a specific wok ring or can I just balance it / hold it on the standard gas rings?). I've tried looking around at the local stores but everything is either a really shallow flat-bottom "wok" or teflon-coated.

Honey Badger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 15, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Honey Badger posted:

Can anyone link me a recommended (and affordable) wok? I don't need anything huge, I'm just going to be cooking on an indoor gas range (do I need a specific wok ring or can I just balance it / hold it on the standard gas rings?). I've tried looking around at the local stores but everything is either a really shallow flat-bottom "wok" or teflon-coated.
Do you have an Asian grocer nearby? The big Vietnamese grocery near me sells woks, and I live in a pretty small city. Unless you're lucky (and your wok will sit safely on the stove), you need a wok ring, I believe. Theirs are cast iron, last I checked, and have two helper-handles. Which is nice, but I prefer ones with a long handle and a helper handle.

Here's a carbon steel one I found on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-Pro-Chef-14-Inch-Handles/dp/B00004RBTH/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1339769559&sr=8-9&keywords=carbon+steel+wok . Be sure to season it properly!

Looks fine to me. I use a flat-bottomed wok (I bought my wok when I didn't know what I was looking for...) on my gas, but I've gotten great use out of the thing and while I'll probably grab a round-bottomed wok sometime, I don't feel limited by it.

ovanova
Feb 27, 2012
I used to work somewhere where the old Chinese ladies made a kick-rear end soup with bok choy leaves, carrots, celery.... I forget what else, actually. And the stems were sliced up used for stir fry.

Napa cabbage is also quintessential in a proper pork dumpling. Let's not forget that.

Mizuna is an ingredient in the typical spring mix and it looks like a cross between frisee and baby arugula. So you've probably consumed a decent amount of mizuna in your lifetime. In fact I'm eating a Stop & Shop spring mix blend right now and I spy a mizuna leaf.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think people hate on flat bottom woks too much. They're fine for home cooking and unless you plan on buying a crazy burner rig, they won't make too much of a difference from a round bottom (and actually should be easier to use with most ranges.) Teflon and plastic handles should be avoided at all costs though.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

GrAviTy84 posted:

Teflon and plastic handles should be avoided at all costs though.

poo poo, yes. When I bought my first "wok" it was teflon coated. After the first use at the right temperature, the poo poo burned right off and ruined a batch of beef and broccoli.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think people hate on flat bottom woks too much. They're fine for home cooking and unless you plan on buying a crazy burner rig, they won't make too much of a difference from a round bottom (and actually should be easier to use with most ranges.) Teflon and plastic handles should be avoided at all costs though.

The problem with flat bottom woks is that it's somewhat harder to stir fry. You have both a flat surface and a rounded surface to scrape with the spatula, so a traditional rounded spatula, or chan, sucks a bit on the flat, while a traditional square spatula doesn't work well on the curved sides.

I agree that it doesn't make a huge difference at home. Round bottom woks do help save some time and allows you to stir fry and clean the wok better and faster in a professional environment though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So I'm setting up my registry and ran across this. If you're in the market for a wok you should just get this
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?brn=1&SKU=110612

DO NOT GET THIS

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Just chiming in to say I made that shredded pork recipe from the OP and it was both delicious and incredibly spicy, which I enjoyed. My fiance loved it too, even though she kept saying her lips were on fire for like half and hour afterward. I was surprised by the heat, considering the only really "hot" ingredients were the garlic chili paste and jalapenos (I did leave those seeds in, though).

On another note, is there an acceptable alternative for shitakes? They actually have them at my local grocery, but they are almost $9 a pound, which is insane. Last week I got lucky and the cashier rung them up as portabellos so I got a pound of them for fifty cents, but dropping $5 every time I want to cook with shitakes kind of sucks, makes a lot of dishes double in price. I don't mind looking around if there is a cheaper, similar mushroom, since we have a whole foods and Asian market nearby.

I was also blown away at how much cheaper tofu is at the Asian market than a traditional grocery. It was like 70 cents for a package of silken tofu that would have been at least $3 at HEB.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There's shiitake mushroom powder, if you just want the flavour.

Tin Foil
Aug 12, 2004

Thanks for the mini guide. I should have mentioned that I'm familiar with most of the more popular asian vegetables already. I was mostly looking for a guide on more obscure vegetables like amaranth or chrysanthemum greens. The japanese veggies look fun to try out. I'll keep an eye out for them next time.

I went to the market today and bought some pea shoots on your recommendation. They were delicious, so thanks again!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Honey Badger posted:

Just chiming in to say I made that shredded pork recipe from the OP and it was both delicious and incredibly spicy, which I enjoyed. My fiance loved it too, even though she kept saying her lips were on fire for like half and hour afterward. I was surprised by the heat, considering the only really "hot" ingredients were the garlic chili paste and jalapenos (I did leave those seeds in, though).

On another note, is there an acceptable alternative for shitakes? They actually have them at my local grocery, but they are almost $9 a pound, which is insane. Last week I got lucky and the cashier rung them up as portabellos so I got a pound of them for fifty cents, but dropping $5 every time I want to cook with shitakes kind of sucks, makes a lot of dishes double in price. I don't mind looking around if there is a cheaper, similar mushroom, since we have a whole foods and Asian market nearby.

I was also blown away at how much cheaper tofu is at the Asian market than a traditional grocery. It was like 70 cents for a package of silken tofu that would have been at least $3 at HEB.

Do they not have shiitakes at the asian grocer? Guaranteed to be cheaper there. I also almost never buy they fresh - I buy super cheap bags of dried ones and reconstitute them in a little hot water when I want to add some mushroomy flavor to a stir fry.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, someone tell me what it is about Taiwanese food that makes everything feel lacquered and glossy? Is it the corn starch?

Some dishes yeah. A lot of the time it's arrowroot or potato starch too.

Anybody planning on making zhong zi soon? It's that time of year. I think I'm gonna try to do them by myself for the first time and I'm curious if anyone has tips. Favorite stuffings/styles? (sausage, mushrooms, peanuts, and steamed :) )

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Oh poo poo it's zongzi season again. I have a packet of bamboo leaves but damned if I know if I can be arsed. I could do it to surprise the gf, but it's a hell of a job.

E: pork and salted egg yolk and mung beans all the way.

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 18, 2012

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
I think the actual zhongzi day/[ߐ/tuen ng jit was last Sunday...

Hands down favorite is Shanghainese style. Nothing but pork belly, rice and soy sauce*! I would like other styles much more if there weren't any mung beans, salted egg yolks or peanuts in it. I don't like the mealy/beany textures mixing with the sticky rice. I'm one of those people who likes mooncakes without yolks too.

*I'm sure it's more than just soy sauce but I have no idea what else is in it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh cool thread! Really like you guys posting pictures and all. And I'm super glad that you guys still use the old school blue and white sets. My family got scared of the lead poisoning/cancer scare and got new ones :( There was a specific name, what was it? I'm more of a eater than gourmet cooker, but if you guys want restaurant food pictures I would be happy to oblige.

粽子 can be such a hit and miss.

I myself do also prefer Shanghai style, maybe it's something do with the 鹼水. But my mom likes it sweet with the sticky rice. At least 粽子 is a lot easier to eat than extra moon cakes :( Speaking of which, it's time to get your moon cake coupons ready for you overseas bunch.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
My MiL made zong zi last week. She fills hers with mung beans, lap cheong, and pork belly. They are so good but she said it took her four days to prepare.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

nonanone posted:

Some dishes yeah. A lot of the time it's arrowroot or potato starch too.

Anybody planning on making zhong zi soon? It's that time of year. I think I'm gonna try to do them by myself for the first time and I'm curious if anyone has tips. Favorite stuffings/styles? (sausage, mushrooms, peanuts, and steamed :) )

I made mine a few weekends ago. Posted it in the "things I made last night" thread. I made them by myself, netting about 20 small ones, pillow shaped. Wasn't hard, probably because I prepped more carefully than usual.

mung beans, mushrooms, lapcheong, porkbelly, and salted duck egg yolk for me! Chestnut optional.

I do not understand peanuts in zhong.

The salted duck egg yolk is the BEST PART. And it's the best part of the mooncake! It cuts the sweetness and the texture is fun.

And caberham, do you mean the melamine dishes? I don't think there's anything wrong with it, unless you eat melamine bits.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

squigadoo posted:

mung beans, mushrooms, lapcheong, porkbelly, and salted duck egg yolk for me! Chestnut optional.

The salted duck egg yolk is the BEST PART. And it's the best part of the mooncake! It cuts the sweetness and the texture is fun.

+1 on your zhongzi filling.

I, too, do not understand peanuts in zhong, however I am allergic, and don't speak mandarin, so ordering zhong from the good places is always an adventure :sweatdrop:

Yeah, I don't get the mooncake hate, either.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009

squigadoo posted:

I made mine a few weekends ago. Posted it in the "things I made last night" thread. I made them by myself, netting about 20 small ones, pillow shaped. Wasn't hard, probably because I prepped more carefully than usual.

And caberham, do you mean the melamine dishes? I don't think there's anything wrong with it, unless you eat melamine bits.

GWS Zhongzhi war of 2012 :black101:

I will never understand peanuts or cashews with rice. My grandma took it a step further last time she made sticky rice and put in trail mix...that was the last time I touched her rice dishes. Grandma I love you, but I have tree nut allergies and I don't want to die :(

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Sorry I don't have pictures. I hope that's okay :ohdear: Edit: I see Dan Mian and Spicy Sesame Noodles in original post but this is a little different, mainly the ingredients :)

I made Cold Sesame Noodles for a "pot luck" and my friends liked them so I figured I would share. VEGAN or vegetarian depending on noodles used!

Ingredients

1lb thick spaghetti or chinese egg noodles% or dan dan noodles+
A bunch of salt
As much pasta water as you can save from cooking noodles
1/3 cup vegetable broth
1 table spoon crushed red pepper flakes (or chinese hot chili oil, I used both) - more or less to taste (Have extra on hand for people to add if they like it spicier)
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon ground garlic powder *
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 cup smooth peanut butter (I used skippy and jewel generic)
1/3 teaspoon ground ginger to taste, you can substitute cinnamon *
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
4-5 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
3-4 tablespoons sugar or brown sugar to taste
1-2 cucumbers
1 cup of hugs, smiles and love - also pinch your roommate and runaway screaming $
5 cigarettes #
3 beers #
% Not vegan, obviously
+ I'm not sure if these are vegan or not, just stick with regular thick spaghetti if you want the dish vegan.
* You can use these ingredients fresh if you wish, I just didn't have any fresh on hand
# Optional
$ Necessary

Instructions
Boil pot of water, when rolling boil starts add salt to water, break noodles in half and cook stirring occasionally to al dente. When done pour as much pasta water into another pot and save (do not refrigerate or continue to heat). Drain noodles in colander and rinse under cold water (no no for regular spaghetti but for these it's needed), drain noodles again. Put noodles in container and toss with 1 1/2 table spoons sesame oil. Refrigerate in tupperware container

Next:
Take a break and smoke 1-2 cigarettes and drink a beer

When finished with that on to the sauce:
Put peanut butter and about 2 cups pasta water, vegetable broth in pot. Use medium heat until peanut butter melts, add rest of ingredients (sugar and red pepper flakes(or chili oil) added last to peanut sauce (don't want to burn the sugar, yucky), MINUS toasted sesame seeds and cucumber. As you are cooking keep adding pasta water until you have reached your desired thickness. STIR THE WHOLE TIME UNTIL DONE.

Pour sauce into its own container and refrigerate (it's better the next day).

Next:
Have 1 more cigarette and another beer. Have an extra cigarette if you wish.

Now:
If you don't have toasted sesame seeds, you can toast them yourself in oven or stovetop (oven takes way too long - 35ish minutes)

Stovetop put sesame seeds in pan over medium heat 3-8 minutes, stir frequently and when they brown and smell nutty they are done.

Day of serving, take sauce out of fridge and let cool to room temperature (2 hours?). Toss about half the sauce with the noodles. Noodles are sill best served cold, it's a nice spicy cold summer dish.

Let people add more sauce if they please and garnish the top of each plate with toasted sesame seeds and cut cucumbers (long thickish strips, they will get soggy if you premix them), if people want it spicer let them add more crushed red peppers or hot chili oil.

Now Enjoy with your favorite beer a cigarette, love and friends.

Edit #2: I captilaized some I's that I missed.

Edit #3 AGAIN: I prefer dried noodles as opposed to fresh, I believe you get better pasta water because of the longer cooking time and easier to get them to al dente. Use fresh if you wish though :)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 30, 2012

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does anyone know what this dish I had in Beijing is:

It's a Northwestern (I believe Muslim-influenced) dish, and is a very dry dish. It was a lamb dish, with some sort of dry rub, and very dry crisp onions, and green hot pepper slices.

It's VERY similar to the dish known as "Cumin Lamb", but all the cumin lamb I've seen has been somewhat greasy, or with a decent amount of oil. This was just about dry as a bone. Does anyone have any good recipes for this?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
If you have the dish's name, I can hunt down a recipe. Is that available?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

SgtScruffy posted:

Does anyone know what this dish I had in Beijing is:

It's a Northwestern (I believe Muslim-influenced) dish, and is a very dry dish. It was a lamb dish, with some sort of dry rub, and very dry crisp onions, and green hot pepper slices.

It's VERY similar to the dish known as "Cumin Lamb", but all the cumin lamb I've seen has been somewhat greasy, or with a decent amount of oil. This was just about dry as a bone. Does anyone have any good recipes for this?

this might be somewhat in the right direction?
http://www.meateaters.co.nz/lamb/northern-style-lamb-with-cumin-and-chili/

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007
uncle bens low fat puaddings
Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken Chow Mein? My only exposure to it is at the standard chinese fooderies (you know, the ones whose names are pairings of the words "China", "Garden", "Express", "Dragon", and "Golden") but I really like how simple and satisfying the flavors are. I can't help but feel that it all starts to taste the same after a bit, so I'm looking for a starting point to make it at home.

I'm referring to the crispy/Hong Kong style btw, the one with "white sauce" (according to everyone I've ever ordered from) and with a bed of flat, crispy noodles underneath.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

DoleMIGHTY posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken Chow Mein? My only exposure to it is at the standard chinese fooderies (you know, the ones whose names are pairings of the words "China", "Garden", "Express", "Dragon", and "Golden") but I really like how simple and satisfying the flavors are. I can't help but feel that it all starts to taste the same after a bit, so I'm looking for a starting point to make it at home.

I'm referring to the crispy/Hong Kong style btw, the one with "white sauce" (according to everyone I've ever ordered from) and with a bed of flat, crispy noodles underneath.

Are you talking about something like this? I may be mistaken about what you're talking about, but if not try looking for a pan fried noodles recipe.

telugu murasu
Jan 14, 2008
this is not tamil you pervert
I'm looking for a good Yunnan style beef and mint recipe - any ideas? I'm in Beijing and have a serious wok setup so hopefully I can approximate the real thing.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

telugu murasu posted:

I'm looking for a good Yunnan style beef and mint recipe - any ideas? I'm in Beijing and have a serious wok setup so hopefully I can approximate the real thing.

Does it look like this or this? I can do a translation if necessary.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Jeek posted:

If you have the dish's name, I can hunt down a recipe. Is that available?

Alas not - like I said, I think its Americanized name is Cumin Lamb (Zi Ran Yang Rou), I've just been looking for a good recipe that was like the tiny restaurant I had. I'll try the one posted, thanks!

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007
uncle bens low fat puaddings

Nickoten posted:

Are you talking about something like this? I may be mistaken about what you're talking about, but if not try looking for a pan fried noodles recipe.

Well, turns out that the "crispy noodles" I was thinking of are actually fried strips of wonton skins. When you get those at a restaurant, they're never like, "freshly" fried, but always somewhat crispy. Something that's days old but still crispy usually says "trans fat" to me, so I might try making them at home next time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cripes I wish I could find cookware without teflon on it in Korea.

What is the best substitute for Shaoxing wine? The Chinese market here doesn't seem to have it but they have a variety of other things that may be similar. If you can give me the Chinese characters please do, there aren't any English labels and they didn't understand what I was talking about when I tried to explain what I wanted. And the Korean version of it is, as usual, filled with corn syrup.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Grand Fromage posted:

What is the best substitute for Shaoxing wine? The Chinese market here doesn't seem to have it but they have a variety of other things that may be similar. If you can give me the Chinese characters please do, there aren't any English labels and they didn't understand what I was talking about when I tried to explain what I wanted. And the Korean version of it is, as usual, filled with corn syrup.

Sherry apparently does a good job.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

angerbot posted:

Sherry apparently does a good job.

Also not possible, I've looked for sherry for other things. They have a range of rice wines but I never used anything but Shaoxing when I lived in the US. I don't know what the differences are.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

The Chinese for Shaoxing wine is 紹興酒 (traditional Chinese) / 绍兴酒 (simplified Chinese). From the wiki, it appears to be a type of Huang jiu (黄酒), so maybe you will get better luck if you ask for that?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Yeah, if you go to the Chinese mart again, ask for 황주. People mostly drink it here, but it's fine for cooking.

cernunnoswired
Jun 13, 2009
Grand Fromage, where do you live in Korea? If you're in Seoul, there's an excellent Chinese grocery store in Cheonho that has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

By the way guys, in case you haven't seen it there's a food show making a stir in China at the moment called A bite of China, some of which is now on youtube apparently.

It's really good and, unusually for chinese official TV, really emphasises different ethnicities, subcultures and histories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHNa9qdtlw

The subtitles are real ropey but the show is excellent. I especially love that they foley guys appear to have had a real good time.

edit: later episodes have more on the actual processes of cooking and preparation

NLJP fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 7, 2012