Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

What is Alcohollywood?

Alcohollywood is a film review/drinking games podcast and website based out of Chicago, where two individuals (Jared and Clint) talk about/make a drinking game/custom drink out of a new film each week. In essence, what we do is we take a new film each week - new or old, good or bad - and create the drinking game and custom cocktail for it. Each film gets three drinking rules and a Finish Your Drink (FYD) line; we use the rules often as a springboard for discussion about the film itself. The cocktail is usually relatively inventive, as we dabble in mixology, and typically features a punny name.

We do our best to have at least one guest, but sometimes it is just the two of us. The podcasts themselves usually run about an hour long, but we attempt to keep discussion lively and fresh, and try to make reasoned assessments about a film. We also sometimes are sponsored by distilleries and booze companies (our Laura episode was sponsored by St. Germain, and there are a few distilleries in Chicago that have provided us with free booze), so we try to bring the finest drinks straight to you.

Our theme song is also goon-made: freeform jazz band A Giraffe has lent us the use of their song "Live Oak" in exchange for some pimping out of their Bandcamp page, which you can find here. I really recommend checking out their whole album, I was a fan before we started and was honored they would let us use their material.

Why this thread?

Well, if any of you have seen any of my (admittedly few) posts in CineD, I've likely pimped out the podcast to kingdom come on the Netflix thread, general chat, and what have you. Instead of continuing that route and getting all up in people's faces and disrupting perfectly good discussions, I'm just making a sort-of megathread where people can suggest movies, ask questions, discuss on their own, and share their own movie drinking games or drinks. There's been some goon interest in the project on its own, which is very much appreciated (we're actually doing a goon-inspired Alcohollywood very soon for Mary Poppins). A few months ago we did a Fast and the Furious Livetweet Marathon, and if interest is sufficient we would love to do further livetweets as well.

In essence, I want to talk about the drinking game as an alternate means of enjoying or discussing a movie. It can be (and hopefully is) a wonderful social experience, and helps to tie together our mutual recognition of a film's attributes, good or bad. Often, when you make rules for a film, you wonder why this particular thing happens so frequently in the film itself - that can speak to the genre, the performers, the director, and the historical or political context in which it was filmed. These things are wondrous to discover, especially for people who are relative novices at film criticism, and far from academics on the subject. Like Wag the Movie's expert analysis of current films, we wish to look at films from the past (and usually available on Netflix) with fresh eyes and try to figure out what makes them tick. This is as much our film education as anyone else's.

Where you can find us:
Website
iTunes
RSS
Facebook
Twitter

What you got for me?

Here are some of my favorite drinks/games on our menu:

Mutt Williams
(from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

2 parts Crystal Head Vodka (can substitute with any comparable vodka)
2 parts Kahlua
2 parts Bailey’s Irish Cream
1 part banana liqueur
Add all ingredients into tumbler; shake well. Serve over ice.

RULES:
1) Drink for visual references to previous Indiana Jones movies (e.g. the Ark, Sean Connery)
2) Drink every time someone enters or exits a vehicle (the travel montages count)
3) Drink anytime someone calls Indiana Jones something else BESIDES Indiana Jones
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Indiana Jones says: “The Ugha word for gold translates as “treasure.” But their treasure wasn’t gold. It was knowledge. Knowledge was their treasure.”

The Thirst Avenger
(from Captain America: The First Avenger)

orange slicecherries (tart and maraschino)
blueberries
goat cheese
3 parts bourbon
1 part Jagermeister
1 part peach schnapps
5 parts Coca-Cola
Muddle orange, blueberries and cherries; combine bourbon, Jager and schnapps. Pour over ice and add Coca-Cola. Serve with garnish of maraschino cherry, goat cheese, and blueberry.

RULES:
1) Drink every time Steve Rogers “proves his worth”
2) Drink every time someone gets punched in the face
3) Drink every time Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) hisses in his dialogue
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Col. Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) sardonically intones, “Well, if it isn’t the ‘Star-Spangled Man with a plan’; what is your plan today?”

The Undrinkable Molly Brown
(from Titanic)

splash, dry vermouth
1 part gin
1 part citrus/chamomile-infused vodka
1 part triple sec
1 part blue curacao
lemon juice and lime juice
Combine in martini shaker; pour in martini glass. Add lemon and lime juice to taste. Complete with “iceberg” ice cube.
To make the "iceberg":
1) Loosely cover inside of martini glass with plastic wrap - this is important to create the fissures and cracks of the iceberg.
2) Fill the martini glass halfway with water. Run the faucet gently to keep the wrinkles in the plastic wrap from filling out.
3) Place martini glass in freezer for several hours, or until cube is frozen.
4) Remove iceberg from martini via the plastic wrap; remove. Turn over and place in glass before pouring. Voila!

RULES:
1) Drink for ironic historical foreshadowing
2) Drink for every title drop ("Titanic")
3) Drink for every establishing shot of a vehicle (the Titanic, cars, the SS Russia, etc.)
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio) says "This is bad...." followed by a long, awkward pause.

Hopeful Oats
(from Hope Floats)

2 parts brandy
3 parts apricot nectar
5 parts oatmeal stout
vanilla ice cream
caramel syrup (optional)
Mix brandy, nectar and stout; top with scoop of ice cream. Drizzle with caramel syrup.

RULES:
1) Drink when anyone remarks on Sandra Bullock’s appearance
2) Drink for Harry Connick Jr.’s dopey smile
3) Drink anytime someone gives/receives a hug
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Ramona (Gena Rowlands) says, “No matter who, or what, or where, or when…Sometimes you just need a hug.”

What drinking games do you usually play to films? Are there any movies you might like to see covered with this sort of drinking game structure/custom cocktail format? Is there ever a type of film you think could NOT be turned into the basis for a drinking game or social event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
So I love this podcast, because my two favourite things are getting drunk and watching movies. Oh, and making cocktails is fun as well.

I've made a few of these and they tend to go down really well. I will say that some of the ingredients can be a little exotic, so I like it when you suggest alternatives. (My town apparently has some kind of Lillet embargo, I mean goddamn)
It's such a great idea that I've even taken to making themed cocktails for movies that you haven't covered yet. I've had a bunch of classic Disney viewings (shut up, it's manly when you get hammered) where I've come up with some cocktail and we've made the rules up as the film goes along. It's a great way to watch movies with a group of friends, since it's not only a fun way to get hammered, it's also typically a great way to keep the attention on the film as you're doing it!

How much prep do you guys have per movie, anyway? I mean are you screening to see if the rules could literally kill a person (Beauty and the Beast cape rule suggests nope) and if so, how drunk are you getting pre-podcast?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Shanty posted:

How much prep do you guys have per movie, anyway? I mean are you screening to see if the rules could literally kill a person (Beauty and the Beast cape rule suggests nope) and if so, how drunk are you getting pre-podcast?

In terms of prep, it varies - usually the more familiar we are with a film, the more we'll already have rules in our heads. Some movies, however, we're watching them fresh (no matter what, we always sit down, watch the movie and make notes before we record). Usually we will take time to perfect the drink and take the picture before we watch the film - Jared's our mixologist, so he is typically in charge of making the drink though I'll contribute to concepts as well; the iceberg ice cube is my favorite contribution.

As for screening for the safety of the rules, we sometimes will make rules that WOULD kill you (like the drink-for-Dutch-angles rule in Thor), but of course we implicitly exercise caution. We don't necessarily play the games strictly as we watch, since we want to be cogent for the podcast, but sometimes the drinks are strong enough that we get pretty sloshed in the recording. You can always tell by a telltale loss of energy about a half hour in - just as a tip.

Thanks for your support!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My favorite drinking game movie is Peter Jackson's Braindead (Dead Alive). I never thought of a title for it... let's call it 5 Gallons Per Second. I recommend playing this with drinks that are less than 10% ABV. Seriously. I recommend a good beer. A great one I've had recently is Hennepin Saison by Ommegang. Delicious and only 7.7%. Don't worry though, you'll be drunk by the end of this movie.

The rules:
Drink every time:
- Someone (zombie or otherwise) loses a finger, arm, leg, head, or part of their face
- Blood or other bodily goo is spattered on someone's face
- Bone in exposed externally
- Someone eats a body part (including their own)
- A kitchen appliance is used for mutilation
Finish your drink when:
- A character you wish would die finally does

The best person to play this game is someone who has never seen the movie and doesn't know what to expect.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

caiman posted:

Finish your drink when:
- A character you wish would die finally does

This raises an interesting question that I have, personally: I'm torn on the subject of having subjective drinking rules like the one above - where it's something that someone drinks to depending on their preferences or perceptions of the film. For Alcohollywood, we tend to go as far as we can to have objective rules, where things definitively happen; oftentimes, other movie drinking games websites have drinking rules that are just excuses for lame stand-up jokes ("Drink whenever you wish you weren't watching this movie HURR HURR"), and we try to avoid that. However, I think there might be room for rules like these if used smartly. Also, keeping to objective things happening in the movies for the rules helps us to talk about the film from a more neutral standpoint, as we use the rules for discussion.

What do you guys think? Is it more fun to have that kind of drinking game where you might be a bit more personally invested since it's based on your opinion of the film?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hewlett posted:

This raises an interesting question that I have, personally: I'm torn on the subject of having subjective drinking rules like the one above - where it's something that someone drinks to depending on their preferences or perceptions of the film. For Alcohollywood, we tend to go as far as we can to have objective rules, where things definitively happen; oftentimes, other movie drinking games websites have drinking rules that are just excuses for lame stand-up jokes ("Drink whenever you wish you weren't watching this movie HURR HURR"), and we try to avoid that. However, I think there might be room for rules like these if used smartly. Also, keeping to objective things happening in the movies for the rules helps us to talk about the film from a more neutral standpoint, as we use the rules for discussion.

What do you guys think? Is it more fun to have that kind of drinking game where you might be a bit more personally invested since it's based on your opinion of the film?

I think for horror films, one way you could do a rule like that is to say something like:

-Take a drink when your least favorite character dies.
-Finish your drink if they make it to the end.

That way you can get involved with keeping track of characters, and potentially take a penalty for hating the hero. Though you could really only do this on a first watch, I guess.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hewlett posted:

I like the idea of subjective rules as long as they pertain directly to the film. Opinions could actually spawn a lot of discussion. Rules like "Drink anytime you disagree with an editing decision" could be the start of good conversation.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I've always been partial to the Blue Velvet drinking game, even though it's more like a drinking experience than a game

-Everyone starts the game with Heinekens, you can have one or two, but you shouldn't be drinking too many, just sipping on them.
-When Frank screams "Heineken? gently caress that poo poo! PABST BLUE RIBBON!" everyone says the line along with the movie and throws away their Heinekens
-You break out a case or two of Pabst and proceed to drink as much of it as you can

You could make it a game by seeing who can drink the most Pabst, but really, you're all winners because you're watching Blue Velvet

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

A buddy and I went made up a In Time drinking game. We went in blind. Needless to say we got hosed really fast.

Our rules were:
- Anytime the word 'Time' is said, take a drink.
- Whenever a named character 'Clocks Out' finish your drink.
- Midway through, we started playing 'Clock Roulette', taking turns being the 'Clockwatcher'. If you're the Clockwatcher, the next clock you see, you have to take as many drinks as hours displayed. So if its six-thirty, you take six drinks.

Ensure you drink a fancy mixed drink to demonstrate your wealth to the proletariat.

The more I play games like this, the more I enjoy movies I've been dismissive of. Turns out camaraderie can make any lovely movie a good time.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 18, 2012

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
I usually only play drinking games with lovely and cheap beer. Two of my favorites:

Total Recall
Drink Whenever:
-Someone says Recall, Mars, or Quaid
-Glass breaks
-Someone uses a video-phone
-Someone enters/exits a vehicle

Mortal Kombat
Drink Whenever:
-Someone says Realm, Soul, Tournament, or a characters full name (Liu Kang, not Liu)
-A kick is landed (not blocked)
-Whenever MORTAL KOMBAT is heard or is on the screen, finish your beer.

The MK drinking game is an awesome time, but you really have to pace yourself. If you are not a seasoned drinker, Mortal Kombat will slay you.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Mr. Giggles posted:

Total Recall
Drink Whenever:
-Someone says Recall, Mars, or Quaid
-Glass breaks
-Someone uses a video-phone
-Someone enters/exits a vehicle

We're doing Total Recall in a few weeks (in time for the remake), and glass-breaking is definitely going to be a rule. There may also be one for facial contortions/gross prosthetics, since that's another aspect of Verhoeven's entertaining action excess. The MK one looks pretty awesome too.

In case anyone's wondering, here is our set-in-stone schedule for the next few weeks:
6/21: Mary Poppins (Shanty tribute edition)
6/28: Rubber
7/4: Independence Day - We just gotta!
7/12: Double Indemnity
7/19: The Prestige
7/26: Double Feature: District B13/District B13: Ultimatum
8/2: Total Recall

We're going by suggestions/occasional inserts of our own preferences so we're not just doing 80s films that everyone our age grew up with.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 19, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Drink for Dutch angles in Battlefield Earth.

Call 911 as soon as the credits end.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Dickeye posted:

You'd love our Thor game. It works the same way. It's even better, because many times Branagh will start with a straight shot, then as the camera moves it tilts into a Dutch angle as it settles. He's tricky that way.

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009

Hewlett posted:

We're doing Total Recall in a few weeks (in time for the remake), and glass-breaking is definitely going to be a rule. There may also be one for facial contortions/gross prosthetics, since that's another aspect of Verhoeven's entertaining action excess. The MK one looks pretty awesome too.

In case anyone's wondering, here is our set-in-stone schedule for the next few weeks:
6/21: Mary Poppins (Shanty tribute edition)
6/28: Rubber
7/4: Independence Day - We just gotta!
7/12: Double Indemnity
7/19: The Prestige
7/26: Double Feature: District B13/District B13: Ultimatum
8/2: Total Recall

We're going by suggestions/occasional inserts of our own preferences so we're not just doing 80s films that everyone our age grew up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJEllFk3Hqw

A small sample. 5 drinks in 27 seconds is a good sample of what is to come in Total Recall. Also, you can drink whenever someone dies as an additional rule. I'm a big fan of seemingly innocent drinking games where the reaction is "well there's only 3-4 simple rules, it can't be so bad"

In my experience doing drinking games with subjective rules can be pretty fun, but it's much worse with the more people you're doing the game with. You already risk everyone getting super hammered and talking over the movie. Subjective rules just enhance this. I generally do subjective rules with less than five people. With any more, there's more talking over the movie and arguments I think

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
We've had fun with an Army of Darkness game.

Drink When:
-Ash looks ridiculously smug
-Ash does something impossible with modern technology
-The camera zooms in on something with a tilt

Finish your drink whenever you see Ted Raimi.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Kind Milkman posted:

We've had fun with an Army of Darkness game.

Drink When:
-Ash looks ridiculously smug
-Ash does something impossible with modern technology
-The camera zooms in on something with a tilt

Finish your drink whenever you see Ted Raimi.

Nice, for the most part this is a nice companion piece to the Evil Dead 2 game we just did for our latest episode:

RULES:
1) Drink anytime Ash is physically injured
2) Drink anytime Ash screams/shouts/cries out
3) Drink for property damage (cars, doors, windows, etc.)
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
Ash, after suiting up with his chainsaw-hand and sawed-off shotgun, mutters, “Groovy.”

The drink - The Drunk by Dawn

2 parts American bourbon
1 part triple sec
1 part aprocot nectar
2 parts (Bruce) Campbell’s Tomato Juice
splash, bitters

Combine and stir. Garnish with toy monster arm (Here, we have Mumm-Ra from ThunderCats.)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
While not quite a movie, a drink I've always wanted to try is a Sonic Screwdriver. Basically a regular screwdriver, but with Mountain Dew added.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

While not quite a movie, a drink I've always wanted to try is a Sonic Screwdriver. Basically a regular screwdriver, but with Mountain Dew added.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

Not at all - back when I was first getting into Doctor Who, I made a Sonic Screwdriver out of blue raspberry vodka and orange juice. The color looks like radioactive snot, but it's drat tasty.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dickeye posted:

I've actually been working on a drinking game for Battlefield Earth. I didn't do anything about camera angles because gently caress that would be lethal.

So far, here are my ideas, but I'm probably going to edit it.

Drink for:
The words "leverage" "piece of cake" or "gold"
Center wipes
Any death threat by any character
Any time Travolta overacts (Conquer galaxies, A FRIENDLY BARTENDER, etc.)
Slow-motion shots

I'm having trouble deciding if the finisher should be the infamous cow scene or at the final battle when the cavemen show up flying Harrier jets. I'm leaning toward cow scene, because that's less spoilery and it is possibly the most absurd part of the movie.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've actually been working on a drinking game for Battlefield Earth. I didn't do anything about camera angles because gently caress that would be lethal.

Drink for:
Center wipes
Slow-motion shots

I'm having trouble deciding if the finisher should be the infamous cow scene or at the final battle when the cavemen show up flying Harrier jets. I'm leaning toward cow scene, because that's less spoilery and it is possibly the most absurd part of the movie.

Those are some good rules - other good ones to swap out or add would be 'maniacal laughter' or 'man-animal.' Also, perhaps any time the color palette changes.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

You should cover The Lebowski Challenge

every time the Dude drinks a White Russian, you drink one. also smoke a joint every time he does.

spoilers:you will vomit

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Muck and Mire posted:

You should cover The Lebowski Challenge

every time the Dude drinks a White Russian, you drink one. also smoke a joint every time he does.

spoilers:you will vomit

Hah, nice. I will say, however, that we have covered The Big Lebowski, including our drink (a White Russian variant called Walter's Whiteys) and the rules:

RULES:

1) Drink every time someone says “Dude”
2) Drink every time a character says “man”
3) Drink every time something is vandalized (rugs, cars, etc.)

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:

The Dude (Jeff Bridges) sums up his attitude toward life in the offhand line, “The Dude abides.”

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I love Alcohollywood! My friends and I watch your subtitled Rhinestone clip every time we hang out and drink. I really liked your latest episode, but that has a lot to do, I think, with Evil Dead 2 being my favorite movie ever made.

I'm a big fan of the Predator drinking game I came up with, which is designed to get you shitfaced as aggressively as possible:
-Drink anytime someone mentions blood, or there is blood onscreen.
-Drink for predator vision.
-Choose from Jesse Ventura, Schwarzenegger or Carl Weathers. Drink everytime your macho man flexes.
-Waterfall for the scene where everyone is shooting every tree for basically no reason.
-Finish your drink when the predator takes off its mask.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hewlett posted:

covered The Big Lebowski,

RULES:

1) Drink every time someone says “Dude”
2) Drink every time a character says “man”
3) Drink every time something is vandalized (rugs, cars, etc.)

Dear god, you're gonna get some one killed by alcohol poisoning.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

ape canyon posted:

I love Alcohollywood! My friends and I watch your subtitled Rhinestone clip every time we hang out and drink. I really liked your latest episode, but that has a lot to do, I think, with Evil Dead 2 being my favorite movie ever made.

I'm a big fan of the Predator drinking game I came up with, which is designed to get you shitfaced as aggressively as possible:
-Drink anytime someone mentions blood, or there is blood onscreen.
-Drink for predator vision.
-Choose from Jesse Ventura, Schwarzenegger or Carl Weathers. Drink everytime your macho man flexes.
-Waterfall for the scene where everyone is shooting every tree for basically no reason.
-Finish your drink when the predator takes off its mask.

That's an awesome game.

I'm really glad you liked the show! Yeah, on occasion we do some Youtube videos (our Rhinestone video being the crowning achievement), but we moved that to Blip after it was taken down by Youtube :(. Usually we do sort of 'rule-counter' video where we show all the times you drink (just because it's fun to see), but we haven't done a video since Rhinestone - we want to make sure it's a good one, and we're wary about posting it if it's not going to be seen anyway.

One of our better rule-counter videos is the one for True Grit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCswO-OfGzc
(the rule about improper gun safety is my favorite rule I've ever come up with)

Boing!
May 23, 2012
Some friends and I did an informal one for the new Star Trek movie. The only rule? Drink for lense flare.

We got shitfaced and stayed that way.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Boing! posted:

Some friends and I did an informal one for the new Star Trek movie. The only rule? Drink for lense flare.

We got shitfaced and stayed that way.

Yeah, that was one of our first unofficial 'Alcohollywoods' before we made it into a podcast. Our rules were:

1) Like yours, drink for lens flare
2) Drink whenever Kirk hangs from a ledge
3) FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN Nero shouts "Fire everything!!!!"

Jared never got through the whole movie before getting shitfaced. Then again, he doesn't want to watch it willingly, just like with Serenity - he has a thing against JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon (though he liked The Avengers as I did).

EDIT: VVV Listen to this guy, HDTGM is my favorite movie podcast, hands down. Barring the drinking rules structure, we sort of ape our format after them.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 19, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Drink for:
Center wipes
Slow-motion shots

Listen to the How Did This Get Made podcast about the movie, it'll give you some ideas.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

After seeing Battleship I had to come up with a game for it.

Rules:

- Drink for explicit references to the board game (Pegs, the scene where they actually play the game, etc.)
- Drink any time someone says the word "Battleship"
- Drink whenever a ship (human or alien) is blown up

Finish your drink when: The guy punches the alien

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Hewlett posted:

That's an awesome game.

I'm really glad you liked the show! Yeah, on occasion we do some Youtube videos (our Rhinestone video being the crowning achievement), but we moved that to Blip after it was taken down by Youtube :(. Usually we do sort of 'rule-counter' video where we show all the times you drink (just because it's fun to see), but we haven't done a video since Rhinestone - we want to make sure it's a good one, and we're wary about posting it if it's not going to be seen anyway.

One of our better rule-counter videos is the one for True Grit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCswO-OfGzc
(the rule about improper gun safety is my favorite rule I've ever come up with)

Jesus, that's... a lot of drinking. Drinking for mountains and gun safety in True Grit is like drinking for racially-tinged jokes and general anachronisms in Blazing Saddles.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 19, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Volume posted:

Dear god, you're gonna get some one killed by alcohol poisoning.

I came here to post The Big Lebowski, but I'm pretty sure you have to fire up a joint every time he does, as well. Unless you're some kind of scrub :colbert:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Since someone's bound to make one for The Room:

Drink every time:

- Johnny says "Oh hai" to anyone
- Denny exhibits signs of a severe mental disorder
- Lisa openly admits her disdain for Johnny to anyone

FYD Line: So, so many. "YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, LISA!", "I definitely have breast cancer", "If a lot of people loved each other, the world would be a better place", I could go on.

And of course, you're all drinking Scotchka.

Budmiester
Jul 19, 2006
Cuttin' and pastin' creativity since 2005.
Hey I'm loving this podcast, but I would love to have them talk and drink along with the movie. Basically, DrinkTrax.
My favourite ever dvd commentary is Orgasmo which has Trey Parker and Matt Stone and a bunch of people playing a drinking game and ragging on their own movie. Fantastic.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
My idea for Titanic was to have a single rule: when the Titanic sinks, finish your drink. To compensate, your drink should be as large and as cold as the North Atlantic ocean.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

tinstaach posted:

Since someone's bound to make one for The Room:

Drink every time:

- Johnny says "Oh hai" to anyone
- Denny exhibits signs of a severe mental disorder
- Lisa openly admits her disdain for Johnny to anyone

FYD Line: So, so many. "YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, LISA!", "I definitely have breast cancer", "If a lot of people loved each other, the world would be a better place", I could go on.

And of course, you're all drinking Scotchka.

How can you not have Drink for SPOON

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Budmiester posted:

Hey I'm loving this podcast, but I would love to have them talk and drink along with the movie. Basically, DrinkTrax.
My favourite ever dvd commentary is Orgasmo which has Trey Parker and Matt Stone and a bunch of people playing a drinking game and ragging on their own movie. Fantastic.

DrinkTrax is basically what everybody we tell our podcast about thinks it is, and sometimes we even have guests assuming we're doing that when we record. We've thought about it, but ultimately we didn't want to have, like, two-hour long podcasts if no one was gonna care. If enough people want it, we'd probably end up doing a special one or two for a film people want for it.

Our Mary Poppins episode will be up soon - if we did a DrinkTrax for it, it would be just silence and distracted conversation interspersed with occasional outbursts of "WITCH!" whenever Mary Poppins does something magical.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Doubleposting/bumping for new episode:

Our Mary Poppins episode is now up; I will warn you beforehand of obnoxious singing in the intro, but it's over quickly. You will also note that, the longer a film's running time is, the drunker we tend to be by the time we record. Mary Poppins is two and a half hours long. Also, cheers to goon Shanty, who was the inspiration and impetus for this episode!

Also, we've started a tradition of doing a quiz whenever we have guests, so let me know if it's obnoxious or disrupts the flow at all.

THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: Medicine

2 parts vodka
2 parts lemon juice
1 part pomegranate liqueur
1 part blueberry-lavender limoncello
A SPOONFUL OF SUGAR GET IT

Combine and stir. Add spoonful of sugar and stir. Garnish with black umbrella.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just had a Land of the Dead drinking game with friends yesterday.

Take a drink when:

1) A zombie learns something new.

2) Gas Station Zombie screams into the air.

3) A character does something absolutely loving retarded.

4) The film beats the message of "humans are the REAL monsters" over your head

5) Finish drink when Dennis Hopper bites it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

5) Finish drink when Dennis Hopper bites it

I would replace that with when John Leguizamo says, "I wanna see how the other half lives."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Nice! I'm the guy! I'm the guy they're talking about on the internet!
Glad you enjoyed the recommendation. Definitely a good call to shake the sugar in, that was one of the issues we had with it in the beginning (hence the added Limoncello). This drink gets mad sour. In the beginning, the concept of the drink was definitely stronger than the actual flavour. The decorative umbrella is genius!

Good episode! It's a pretty silly movie, but you get some good mileage out of it! Good idea to bring Cherish back on this one, you guys have some GOOD BANTER. I'm glad you got to the bottom of the "would you do Mary Poppins" issue.
The quiz was a great (but weird) idea, broke up the episode nicely. I'll have to start incorporating prize/punishment shots in our drunken viewings.

Good rules too, although the second one seems like suicide on the face of it. For certain definitions of magic, you could be waterfalling through the entire movie.

So anyway thanks!

• Locked thread