Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
This is only minorly related to Cisco but eh... here it goes. I have a sister company I help out with a 2 node stack of Dell 5548 powerconnects. They are having some strange issues where their network speed will drop considerably. Like going from hundreds of MB/s to KB/s. I have been fidling with it for a bit but I am not too familiar with Dell units. I cannot seem to find much rhyme nor reason why it is doing this. They were having the problem this morning and on a whim, I unplugged all the gear and immediately replugged it in to different ports on the same switch. The network speed instantly returned. Strangest thing. I am ultimately going to replace the units but I am just super curious as to why it is doing this. Are these just trash switches? Is there something else I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Duplex mismatch? Autonegotiation can be weird, try setting the ports and interfaces manually to full-duplex (and speed whatever). I don't know Dell switches from a bar of soap but if you can, check for collisions on the interface statistics.

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 15, 2012

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Almost sounds like a broadcast storm to me. I'd recommend checking the cpu and throughput counters on the switch's console during normal use compared to when the problem occurs.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
We're having a rash recently of people unable to establish a VPN connection to our ASA 5505. We typically use ShrewSoft's client, which just times out when trying to connect. The official Cisco client says it's connected, and the connection shows up in the ASDM, but you can't ping any hosts inside the network.

The strange thing is, a big group of people are completely unaffected; it seems to only be newer machines that we've configured recently, even though we're using the same versions of VPN clients and the same VPN connection profiles we've been using for years. Our VPN configuration in the ASA hasn't changed since we migrated to it off a PIX 515E a few years ago.

debug crypto ipsec gets this error, I'm pretty sure it's when someone affected tries to connect but I'm not 100% on that yet:

code:
IPSEC(crypto_map_check)-1: Error: No crypto map matched.
I haven't had much time to look at it yet, but I'm going to try to reproduce it on a laptop and a 3G modem next week in the office; anyone have any pointers or things I can look for? I think I have to look at an ASA issue approximately once every 18 months, so I'm rusty on this poo poo.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

My workplace just got a new Cisco 1800 series router to replace our old almost-home-based (Cisco RV042) hardware, and I'm struggling with a problem with it.

Both my boss and I are programmers, and we make up the IT department. Neither of us have any experience with this level of router, so we paid the company we bought it from set it up for us.

The issue that we are facing is that several times a day, our connection seems to go down - but it's not. Traffic stops except that you can still ping locations; even locations on the VPN. Rebooting the router fixes this temporarily. It doesn't seem to happen on any sort of schedule at all. We are using DSL, and we have an add-on card with an additional WAN port, so that we can load-balance two connections to help our upload. :canada: I don't believe that this is affecting it, as currently the extra WAN is setup as a failover right now, because the tech from the company couldn't get load balancing working.

As far as working with the router, I've used CCP and could modify the VPN settings. My job is IT for a small but rapidly growing grocery store chain with currently 5 locations; three of which we can't get a static IP from the ISP without paying super-huge-megabux. This is as far into the depth of the router that I dare venture.

If there's any ideas, that would be super helpful. I could probably learn how to connect to the router and program it directly, but right now my experience is with CCP.

Edit:
I've had their tech guy look at it, but he hasn't seen anything wrong in the logs or the stats while it's happening.
He was able to connect to the router during one of these events remotely, which again makes me want to rule out problems with the ISP.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 15, 2012

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Symptomatically, what do you mean when you say things seem to stop, but they don't? I understand that you can still ping, so what doesn't work when this condition occurs?

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Nothing else. No web traffic, no shared files.

Edit: I think web traffic works a bit. DNS seems to resolve.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

inignot posted:

Belated congratulations and condolences.

Have fun :)

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Can any of you guys recommend a good network design best practices/fundamentals book?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Mierdaan posted:

We're having a rash recently of people unable to establish a VPN connection to our ASA 5505. We typically use ShrewSoft's client, which just times out when trying to connect. The official Cisco client says it's connected, and the connection shows up in the ASDM, but you can't ping any hosts inside the network.

The strange thing is, a big group of people are completely unaffected; it seems to only be newer machines that we've configured recently, even though we're using the same versions of VPN clients and the same VPN connection profiles we've been using for years. Our VPN configuration in the ASA hasn't changed since we migrated to it off a PIX 515E a few years ago.

debug crypto ipsec gets this error, I'm pretty sure it's when someone affected tries to connect but I'm not 100% on that yet:

code:
IPSEC(crypto_map_check)-1: Error: No crypto map matched.
I haven't had much time to look at it yet, but I'm going to try to reproduce it on a laptop and a 3G modem next week in the office; anyone have any pointers or things I can look for? I think I have to look at an ASA issue approximately once every 18 months, so I'm rusty on this poo poo.

Reload the ASA. I had a very, very similar problem, only thing was it was ezvpn to an 1800 series instead of a client machine. Show crypto ipsec sa showed the tunnel was up, remote side tunnel was up, traffic was being decrypted by the ASA but was never being encrypted and was spitting out a similar error.

One "wr" and "reload" later, no other config changes, ba-bam boom!

Worth a try if you can do it.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

abigserve posted:

Reload the ASA.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it over the weekend but it didn't fix our issue.

I just spent an hour on the phone with Cisco and they pinned it on a DNE problem. I uninstalled both VPN clients, ran winfix, rebooted, ran dneupdate, reinstalled the Cisco client and all is right with the world again.

I still can't get the ShrewSoft client to negotiate from an affected machine (though it works fine for some users) but that's a fight for another day I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

e: nevermind, I'm even dumber than I thought.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 18, 2012

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ragzilla posted:

I haven't had to dig into password recovery on XR platforms (CRS/ASR/GSRXR), I imagine it's a little more in depth.

It's similar to an IOS router; just use rommon commands to boot with an empty config. They have a quick guide here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15870

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 18, 2012

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Does anyone know the specs for the screws that come with the rackmount kit for a 2950? I'm missing one and it's a nusiance. It's about 10mm long and countersunk.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

All sorts of fun questions popping up, Has anyone played around with Cisco FabricPath at all and do you think its worth it at all?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

ToG posted:

Does anyone know the specs for the screws that come with the rackmount kit for a 2950? I'm missing one and it's a nusiance. It's about 10mm long and countersunk.

Bring it to a hardware store or a Lowes, they should have a panel where you can figure out the thread size and pitch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think racks typically just take 10-32 screws. I don't know if you can find countersunk or recessed screws at Lowes but really just any screw will do to hold it in.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Martytoof posted:

I think racks typically just take 10-32 screws. I don't know if you can find countersunk or recessed screws at Lowes but really just any screw will do to hold it in.

I'm presuming by the counter sunk part that he's missing a screw that secures the rack mount ears to the router chassis.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh my god I have made like a thousand wrongposts in the last 24 hours, I should get off the internet for a while :q:

(good catch)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
They probably won't have those screws at a hardware store. I have plenty of dead 2600, XL switches, etc that have them. PM me your address and I'll tape one to a postcard and mail one to you or something.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Make sure you differentiate between Catalyst 2950 screws and 2600 router screws since they're different from what I recall.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I've heard it mentioned that there were significant changes to the ASA code made around 8.3- could someone elaborate on that?

I'm afraid I haven't been on an ASA since 7.x, and while I remember it as being an improvement to 6, I'm not sure what's markedly different in 8.3 and beyond (aside from the network object textual changes).

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/upgrading/migrating.html

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jwh posted:

I've heard it mentioned that there were significant changes to the ASA code made around 8.3- could someone elaborate on that?

I'm afraid I haven't been on an ASA since 7.x, and while I remember it as being an improvement to 6, I'm not sure what's markedly different in 8.3 and beyond (aside from the network object textual changes).

In addition to the ACL differences (huge), they also support EIGRP and other niceties now. No CDP/LLDP though.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

jwh posted:

back to the future- ACLs use inside IPs again
Network object NAT makes NAT less terrible
Policy NAT replaces with pre/post NAT rules- a lot more flexible. You can pre-NAT to override 1:1 when needed.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
gently caress cisco and their stupid license macs that magically change in CUCM.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

falz posted:

They probably won't have those screws at a hardware store. I have plenty of dead 2600, XL switches, etc that have them. PM me your address and I'll tape one to a postcard and mail one to you or something.

Yeah they don't, Seems a funny size. Thanks for the offer though. I've managed to source one through a friend who necro'd them from dead switches.

CrazyLittle posted:

Make sure you differentiate between Catalyst 2950 screws and 2600 router screws since they're different from what I recall.

Alot of them are different slightly as I found out.. It's a nuisance.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ragzilla posted:

back to the future- ACLs use inside IPs again
Network object NAT makes NAT less terrible
Policy NAT replaces with pre/post NAT rules- a lot more flexible. You can pre-NAT to override 1:1 when needed.

Hmm weird.

I actually liked writing access control that was considered "pre NAT," but maybe I was in the minority.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

jwh posted:

Hmm weird.

I actually liked writing access control that was considered "pre NAT," but maybe I was in the minority.
If you do 1:1 NAT using objects you can write the ACLs using the objects. Quite useful if you stick to ASDM as it'll show internal and external on hover.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
For the ASA upgrade, it is a pain if you use NAT control, have many NATs, or you don't have a test environment.

The document for upgrading has gotten better by calling out some of the gotchas, but it should still have huge sirens around each of the callouts on that document. Also, make sure that you sacrifice at least two chickens and a banana to the ASA gods as you write your upgrade plan. Do the same before you begin the upgrade, but add your weekend to the sacrifice.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We didn't disable nat control on a few ASA's before upgrading...the horror.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

are interface security levels now largely cosmetic?

Kenfoldsfive
Jan 1, 2003

The un-bitey-ness of a chicken's head and the "I don't want to cook that"-ness of a dog's body
Does anybody have any experience with Cisco APs in Rogue Detector mode? I'd like to have one per site, but it seems stupid to blow an entire AP on nothing but wired network sniffing. So ideally, I'd like something as cheap as possible that can still do rogue detection. I'm thinking something like the Aeronet 1000.

I'm checking on this with my Cisco SE, but I'm guessing they'll try to sell me something new - I'm really fine with anything. So my question is, what's the cheapest thing I could get that would do rogue sniffing?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Kenfoldsfive posted:

Does anybody have any experience with Cisco APs in Rogue Detector mode? I'd like to have one per site, but it seems stupid to blow an entire AP on nothing but wired network sniffing. So ideally, I'd like something as cheap as possible that can still do rogue detection. I'm thinking something like the Aeronet 1000.

I'm checking on this with my Cisco SE, but I'm guessing they'll try to sell me something new - I'm really fine with anything. So my question is, what's the cheapest thing I could get that would do rogue sniffing?

I should be using one in a pure rogue detection mode but all of my AP's will detect Rogue AP's anyways. There may be benefits of actually having an ap dedicated to it but I get by and satisfy PCI requirements without one.

Kenfoldsfive
Jan 1, 2003

The un-bitey-ness of a chicken's head and the "I don't want to cook that"-ness of a dog's body

Langolas posted:

I should be using one in a pure rogue detection mode but all of my AP's will detect Rogue AP's anyways. There may be benefits of actually having an ap dedicated to it but I get by and satisfy PCI requirements without one.

My understanding of it is APs in normal mode will detect rogues with no access protection (wep/wpa/etc), connect to them, and then try to ping the WLC to determine if it's a wired rogue. An AP in rogue detector mode will turn its radios off and sniff ARP traffic on the LAN, which it correlates with detected AP MACs - if a MAC appears on both a rogue AP and in an ARP request, you've got a rogue on the LAN.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Kenfoldsfive posted:

IŽd try to buy something cheap (but relatively new) offsetting the chance they cut support for the device in newer software. Have a look at the 1040. Definitely stay away from the 1131.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I never had a bad time with the 1131s. They run extremely hot though. I'm surprised they haven't burned more buildings down.

Anyhoo, rogue detection with Cisco wireless kit is full of exciting caveats, the totality of which will make you question whether rogue detection is even worth your time.

At best, you get to leave it "on" and tell your auditors it's "on". Good luck if any of the SSIDs have any encryption, though, since you won't be able to associate to them and conduct the ping test back to the WLC. Oh, and dedicated rogue monitor radios don't help either if somebody plugs a Linksys into your network. You'll never see the client ARP frames on both sides, so you won't trigger the rogue alert.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Looks like we're moving to a new ISP,

quote:

1.4 Traffic Management.
ISP's network traffic-policing policies restrict traffic flows to the subscribed CIR for each service class. If the customer transmitted bandwidth rate for any CoS exceeds the subscription rate (CIR) and burst size (CBS), ISP will discard the non-conformant packets.

Is this a common thing to do? Can we do egress rate limiting like this with an ASA 5505?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

You should be able to google for 'asa rate limit' and adapt something from there.

It's done in a kinda weird way (to my mind).

There are still so many vestigial remnants of global configuration in ASA that really ought to be under interfaces directly, if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

jwh posted:

I never had a bad time with the 1131s. They run extremely hot though. I'm surprised they haven't burned more buildings down.

Indeed they are great APs. But they are getting very old and support will likely be cut way before the 1040s.

jwh posted:

Good luck if any of the SSIDs have any encryption, though, since you won't be able to associate to them and conduct the ping test back to the WLC.
Then the WLC will monitor the airspace for clients using the rogue AP - record their mac address and check your LAN for those.

jwh posted:

Oh, and dedicated rogue monitor radios don't help either if somebody plugs a Linksys into your network. You'll never see the client ARP frames on both sides, so you won't trigger the rogue alert.
Correct, if using both NAT/PAT and WPA-PSK or some other form of encryption/authentication then I cant think of a way to detect it. Best way would probably be getting location services up and running to triangulate it and check manually.