Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
My mother claims that she went over 4 weeks late with my brother (2nd child) in 1989. That seems a bit excessive to me... she says the dr. also told her to go home, drink a beer, and run around.

She doesn't remember if she was late or early with me (1st child). She has no clue when my original due date was anymore... (I'm only 28.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
Both my husband and I were 6 weeks early. His mom doesn't remember much, apparently I was a placental abruption. They gave her valium, sent her home, but I was coming out regardless. Apparently she doesn't remember a BIT of the labor with me because of the valium... I was in the preemie ward for 10 days then they let me out, I guess :)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

SassySally posted:

My mother claims that she went over 4 weeks late with my brother (2nd child) in 1989. That seems a bit excessive to me... she says the dr. also told her to go home, drink a beer, and run around.

It seems very excessive, but maybe the doctor was not convinced that she was right about her conception date or last period.

Or maybe she just had some terrible doctors. When my mother in law had her first, the placenta didn't come out on its own, and apparently nobody bothered to follow up on that. She even had a fever when they sent her home, but apparently nobody thought that was a problem.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

SassySally posted:

She doesn't remember if she was late or early with me (1st child). She has no clue when my original due date was anymore... (I'm only 28.)

My husband's mom also claims that he was 4 weeks late, but she also didn't find out she was pregnant until about 3 months into the pregnancy. And even then, she thought there was something wrong with her digestive system, pregnancy didn't cross her mind. So there's a very high probability that they just really didn't have an accurate due date.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I was supposedly 4 weeks late too. My due date was in late October 1979 and I was born the week after Thanksgiving. My dad had bought me some little trinket with an October birthstone and had to exchange it.

I was 40w4d and my kid still wasn't ready to come out, but we forcibly removed him because of GD and high BP. I feel like I would have gone another week at least. I had no signs of labor and he never even dropped.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 15, 2012

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Blood tests came back today confirming that I have Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy, which means that essentially my liver is putting bile into my blood. And bile is toxic for babies, so we they're having me take a medication that blocks bile production this weekend, and on Monday, they're going to rearrange the Operating Room's schedule to fit me in for a C-section, since the safest thing to do is to get this baby out of there. Might happen Monday, might not happen until Wednesday.

The only really awesome part though, is that my regular/preferred OB knows that I'm absolutely petrified of medical procedures, so he volunteered to come in and do my C-section himself on whichever day they can fit me in, even though it won't be his scheduled day at the hospital, and even if it's his day off. My doctor is the best, and I can't even believe he's willing to do that for me.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Mnemosyne posted:

Blood tests came back today confirming that I have Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy, which means that essentially my liver is putting bile into my blood. And bile is toxic for babies, so we they're having me take a medication that blocks bile production this weekend, and on Monday, they're going to rearrange the Operating Room's schedule to fit me in for a C-section, since the safest thing to do is to get this baby out of there. Might happen Monday, might not happen until Wednesday.

That...kinda sucks. At least we live in a time and place where we can save babies, even if C-sections are scary and stuff like that. :shobon:

Good vibrations your way and all that stuff.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Axiem posted:

That...kinda sucks. At least we live in a time and place where we can save babies, even if C-sections are scary and stuff like that. :shobon:

Due to my fear of all medical procedures, we were about 90% planning on an "elective" c-section anyway. Which is not to say that I'm not terrified of the c-section, because I am, and I literally sit awake until the sun comes up many nights and cry about it since I'm that scared. But if they do a c-section, it renders me unable to physically harm any of the doctors or nurses in the process, and keeps me from doing things which may hurt/endanger me or the baby. That's why I keep calling it "elective" in quotes...because it's not like my vagina is broken or something, but with the history I have during medical procedures, it was pretty much decided that it was unsafe for lots of people to try to do it another way.

I'm seriously not this batshit insane over most other things though. I hate explaining it, because it makes me sound like a lunatic, when in real life, we always run into problems trying to get medical procedures done because I don't seem like a lunatic when I'm explaining it to the doctor ahead of them, so they always think that I'm exaggerating, and that it's just the fear talking.

EDIT: I guess this also goes to show that when you're pregnant, anything can mean something. I have recurring eczema and another skin condition, so I kind of ignored the itching (which is the main sign) for a long time.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 16, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Axiem posted:

At least we live in a time and place where we can save babies, even if C-sections are scary and stuff like that. :shobon:

A thousand times this. We realized not long after Eve's birth that fifty years ago, mom and the baby would have been in grave danger due to the seemingly minor complications we faced. A hundred years ago, it's likely they both would have died. Instead, I have a healthy wife and daughter. Modern medicine is awesome.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

A thousand times this. We realized not long after Eve's birth that fifty years ago, mom and the baby would have been in grave danger due to the seemingly minor complications we faced. A hundred years ago, it's likely they both would have died. Instead, I have a healthy wife and daughter. Modern medicine is awesome.

This is actually why a lot of old fairy tales deal with "evil step mothers" since back in the day it was a lot more common to die in child birth.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Dr says HCG and progesterone levels all look good, and we've scheduled our 7 week appointment for July 5. We'll have an ultrasound and hopefully get to hear the heartbeat :) I still feel nervous, but I think I'll feel much calmer once we get to hear the heartbeat and stuff. I have zero appetite and my boobs hurt like crazy, but all things considered I'm feeling pretty good. Let's see how long that lasts.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

We found out yesterday (8 1/2 weeks) that there is no longer a heartbeat. I'll have to have a D&C next week if I don't miscarry naturally in the next few days. I've been bleeding lightly for the last couple of days but it doesn't really seem to be progressing and the OB doesn't want to let it go too long.

Hope I'll be back in this thread soon.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Ceridwen posted:

We found out yesterday (8 1/2 weeks) that there is no longer a heartbeat. I'll have to have a D&C next week if I don't miscarry naturally in the next few days. I've been bleeding lightly for the last couple of days but it doesn't really seem to be progressing and the OB doesn't want to let it go too long.

Hope I'll be back in this thread soon.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had the same thing happen at about 10 weeks and it was tough. It only took a couple months to conceive again and now I'm at 30 weeks.

Good luck. It will be over before you know it.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Ceridwen, I am so sorry. I hate that you're having to go through this. :(

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 21, 2017

Daya
Nov 13, 2006
Not sure what you mean with baby apps, but I got an app I couldn't do without. It's called 'Relax and Sleep' and you can basically create your own whitenoise. Åsta likes heartbeat, brown noise and Tibetian monks best. Seriously, I loving love that app. She's not a good sleeper during the day but whitenoise will calm her down. It's like magic. :)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Lullabee posted:

What are good baby apps for smartphones? Mr. Lullabee mentioned it today at dinner and I hadnt even thought of it yet.

If you have an Android phone, we found Baby ESP pretty useful. It can sync to a central website so you can both keep the same records on your phones. We had an Itzbeen and tried using it but my husband was determined to keep more detailed stats, the big sperglord.

Actually it is really nice to have the charts that app generates, especially on those days when it seems like the baby's just not sleeping...to look at the chart & realize that yes, he's had nearly 12 hours today, is very reassuring.

Also seconding the Relax & Sleep app. Just put Arthur to sleep with the trusty Air Conditioner/Aquarium Bubbles combo!

Chicken McNobody fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 18, 2012

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Lullabee posted:

I was speaking more of baby in the womb ones, but those definitely sound helpful. I'll look into them, thank you. :)

You won't need them for a while, but most smartphone platforms have contraction timing apps available. It's easier to just push a button when a contraction starts and have the phone track how far apart they are than trying to write down when each one happens (especially if you're driving to the hospital at the time).

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Lullabee posted:

What are good baby apps for smartphones? Mr. Lullabee mentioned it today at dinner and I hadnt even thought of it yet.

A bit farther down the road, but my wife and I love Total Baby for our newborn. Tracks diapers, feedings, and my wife uses it to track her medications. And it syncs (manually) between our phones. Totally worth the five bucks.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Lullabee posted:

I was speaking more of baby in the womb ones, but those definitely sound helpful. I'll look into them, thank you. :)

Of course! Musta thought I was in the other thread. I used My Pregnancy Today. Daily tips, a checklist of to-dos, fetal development pics & videos. Liked it.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I use sprout lite.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Crossposting from Parenting:
My kid will not be worn. We have to carry him around in arms. We've tried the Baby Bjorn, a mei tai, a ring sling, and a Moby. He will tolerate the Moby but will not even consider the other three. Next we'll try a Boba and see if he likes back-carry any better.

Said that to say this: I have an SA-Mart thread where I'm selling the Bjorn, the mei tai, and the ring sling, if anyone wants them.

(Didn't want to link the thread here in case it's against the rules...someone let me know if posting it at all is verboten and I'll clear out this post!)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Operation "let's remove this baby" has been moved up to today (in about 3 hours). Either the cholestasis or the medication for it is causing me a ton of intestinal pain, and they're concerned that on top of the rest of it, that I may be forming gallstones from the lack of proper bile functioning. So after barely eating or sleeping all weekend, they decided today was the best bet.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Mnemosyne posted:

Operation "let's remove this baby" has been moved up to today (in about 3 hours).

Good luck Mnemosyne! Hopefully all will go smoothly.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I've got a question - has anybody in this thread gotten pregnant while still exclusively breastfeeding? Its been 7 months, and while I haven't gotten my period yet, I'm trying to decide if I want an IUD, or if I just want to keep rolling the dice on getting pregnant again. Hormonal birth control is a no go for me (migraine trigger), and gently caress going back to using condoms. I definitely want another kid, but I don't have any strong feelings about what kind of spacing between them I'd like. Supposedly, nursing like I do should keep me from getting pregnant for awhile, but I'm curious how that's worked out for actual people.

Anyway - there are so many pregnancy and baby apps out there, it's definitely worth checking out some of the free ones. My husband got a contraction timing app, which in hindsight, was probably unnecessary for me, but I know that he appreciated having a "job" and feeling useful.

I also used an app for the baby's feedings and diapers for a few weeks, until I realized how much it was stressing me out to constantly be timing everything I did. I decided to go a few days without using the app, just to see how it felt. That turned out to be a great relief, and I wish I had done it sooner. Sure you need to have a general idea of input/output, but the micromanaging of it undermined my instinct and my confidence in reading my kid's cues properly. Not to get all goofy on y'all, but I got through my pregnancy and a natural birth by trusting myself and my body's ability to do this, but that was something I had to consciously choose when it came to breastfeeding. Unlike my formula-feeding or pumping friends, I can't tell you exactly how many ounces my kid is eating, so instead I just have to trust that I'll know when something is not right.

and Good luck Mnemosyme!

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

MoCookies posted:

I've got a question - has anybody in this thread gotten pregnant while still exclusively breastfeeding? Its been 7 months, and while I haven't gotten my period yet, I'm trying to decide if I want an IUD, or if I just want to keep rolling the dice on getting pregnant again.

Are you still actually 'exclusively breastfeeding'? Breastfeeding is only considered exclusive and enough to keep you from ovulating if you follow the rules: no other food at all, no bottles ever, no pacifiers, the baby only suckles from your breast. If you break any of those rules, it doesn't work. And sometimes it doesn't work anyway.

I got pregnant while breasteeding two of my children. (We planned the pregnancies and stopped using any sort of birth control). I tandem-nursed my boys for awhile too.

If you don't want to get pregnant, I would really not rely on breastfeeding. If you do want to get pregnant, enjoy!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
You also have to be nursing like every 2-3 hours hours round the clock, which if you still are, god help you.

Edit: Lactational Amenorrhea Method is using breastfeeding as BC and from a quick google, it seems like 6 months is the cut off date for effectiveness, and that's *if* you followed all the "rules." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactational_amenorrhea

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 19, 2012

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
It's been a long slog, but at 1:16am today a new little man came our lives. Weighing 7lbs on the dot, after a 23 hour labour that ended with suction and a serious incision, Alexander James Darcy was born. Mum and baby both doing well (dad bloody shattered!).

The poor thing was about 2 hours old when the pic here was taken, I don't think he knew what to make of the camera autofocus light (I didn't use flash).

PeachyKeen
Jul 22, 2005
Congratulations on the new wee man Mr Darcy, he's gorgeous.

I'm finally logging on to post after being such a loooong time lurker round here. I'm now 31weeks pregnant and really happy. So far I've been really lucky and had such an easy pregnancy but in the last 4-5 days I've just been really off and I'm trying to work out if this is just a third trimester thing.

I'm waking up with a really sore throat and getting intermittent headaches, was actually sick for the first time all pregnancy yesterday and I generally just feel fuzzy and not myself. I'm going in for a glucose test on Thursday due to a border line high result, but my Midwife (I'm in the UK so she's my standard carer) isn't worried at all, she thinks it's just because she took my bloods straight after I'd eaten breakfast. But now I'm paranoid, could me feeling so off-colour be a sign of something to worry about with the blood results?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
You don't generally feel anything with gestational diabetes. The usual symptoms you'll see listed on the internet are insatiable thirst and peeing a lot, but your blood sugars would have to be very high all the time for you to start feeling that. Peeing more, general fatigue, getting sleepy after a meal - who's to say that's not just from being pregnant? I wouldn't ready too much into having a sick day.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

hepscat posted:

The usual symptoms you'll see listed on the internet are insatiable thirst and peeing a lot, but your blood sugars would have to be very high all the time for you to start feeling that. Peeing more, general fatigue, getting sleepy after a meal - who's to say that's not just from being pregnant? I wouldn't ready too much into having a sick day.

Exactly this. And I was the opposite. I am hardly thirsty and I didn't have to pee any more than in my other pregnancy except when I knew the baby was actually ON or kicking my bladder.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
Leg Cramps. Oh god, overnight they kick my rear end. Is there any truth to the 'eat a banana' school of thought? I know people say potassium can help.

Thursday's my 'anatomy scan'.. kind of nervous. We are hoping to find out the baby's gender, but hubby wants to keep it to ourselves until the baby's born. I don't give a drat one way or the other, the baby will be whatever the baby is. We are, however, planning on telling his chronically ill father and my extremely elderly grandparents just in case they don't make it until mid-November.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Cathis posted:

Leg Cramps. Oh god, overnight they kick my rear end. Is there any truth to the 'eat a banana' school of thought? I know people say potassium can help.

Potassium seemed to help mine, although I drank coconut water instead of eating bananas because I wanted the fluids too.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

PeachyKeen posted:

I'm finally logging on to post after being such a loooong time lurker round here. I'm now 31weeks pregnant and really happy. So far I've been really lucky and had such an easy pregnancy but in the last 4-5 days I've just been really off and I'm trying to work out if this is just a third trimester thing.

I'm waking up with a really sore throat and getting intermittent headaches, was actually sick for the first time all pregnancy yesterday and I generally just feel fuzzy and not myself. I'm going in for a glucose test on Thursday due to a border line high result, but my Midwife (I'm in the UK so she's my standard carer) isn't worried at all, she thinks it's just because she took my bloods straight after I'd eaten breakfast. But now I'm paranoid, could me feeling so off-colour be a sign of something to worry about with the blood results?

Could you be dehydrated? If I don't drink water like crazy, I get the sore throat and headaches.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

PeachyKeen posted:

Although I knew from neices and nephews that babies are wriggly little things. It's a whole new game when you are the person who has to sort them out. Handing back to mum and dad is so much easier. I spent a couple of hours today walking up and down the maternity ward because walking soothed him and it allowed Mrs. D. To have dinner and sleep for a bit.

Re: iffyness. Following what the poster above suggested, what colour is your urine? It should be a very light yellow colour. If it's a dark yellow or orange then more water is needed.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 21, 2017

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I've spotted with both pregnancies, and both times the advice I was given was, if the flow became enough to soak a pad (like period-level heaviness) to go in immediately. If it was just a small amount of blood, to keep hydrated and rest, and if I hadn't stopped spotting 24 hours later, to go in. You have to do what you feel most comfortable with, but that was what I was advised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeachyKeen
Jul 22, 2005
Thanks guys, I think you're right, just generally third trimester knackered, probably in combo with trying to fend of a cold. I have my glucose tolerance test tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.