Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Ayana posted:

Ugh, Sol Cannon is kicking my poo poo in, especially once Old connects. Even with three people casting Cura I just can't keep up with the damage between Missle and the cannon itself, and with Old my Curas just keep getting weaker. Time to grind again, I guess. :sigh:

Do you have Heal/Esuna? It will stop your characters from going further down in level, so if you cast it immediately after, the effects of the Launchers' attacks should be minimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Ayana posted:

Ugh, Sol Cannon is kicking my poo poo in, especially once Old connects. Even with three people casting Cura I just can't keep up with the damage between Missle and the cannon itself, and with Old my Curas just keep getting weaker. Time to grind again, I guess. :sigh:

Alternatively, grind cash for Angel Rings, they protect against Old. And kill the two launchers asap!

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Hedera Helix posted:

Do you have Heal/Esuna? It will stop your characters from going further down in level, so if you cast it immediately after, the effects of the Launchers' attacks should be minimal.

Esuna... I totally forgot about that spell! And it wasn't like everyone wasn't high enough in White Mage to use it! :cripes:

Samopsa posted:

Alternatively, grind cash for Angel Rings, they protect against Old. And kill the two launchers asap!

Yeah, once I gained two levels and fried the launchers because it finally occurred to me that getting rid of them would get rid of Missile it was smooth sailing.

Archeoavis was a piece of cake, first form spammed !Gaia for Wind Slash, second just beat it's face in. And now I can use Dragoons. Yay. :geno: Ugh, there's three good classes, and I get the meh one. And it's got like no synergy with Mystic Knight, either, unless I use a knife. On a Dragoon.

Final team is now White Mage/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Dragoon.

VVV
Edit:

W.T. Fits posted:

If it makes you feel better, Jump bypasses the Chicken Knife's Flee effect. :shobon:

A little bit, yeah. Yay jumping. :downs:

Ayana fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 18, 2012

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Wind Crystal: White Mage
The first portion was just a snooze-fest, nothing really dangerous but took forever to kill anything. I used the undead in the graveyard to grind up to level 8 while I had some method of offense (guess which dumbass forgot to get the flail :suicide:). First mini road bump was Magissa. Without having the foresight to silence her or use a flail, the fight took well over half an hour. I did luck out with her drain as she only managed to hit twice with it, killing Lenna both times. Once she went down it was just a matter of clubbing Forza until he fell over. From there it was smooth sailing (not counting the 4-5 game overs to Jackanapes before I realized that front row + Armor would let me take a hit). Garula wasn't much trouble at all even without a flail at level 8, Armor'd everyone and had two in the front row beat on him while two in the back row used Healing Staff and Cure, switching roles mid-fight as mp allowed.

Water Crystal: Berserker
I signed up for Berserker Risk, so I knew it was coming. Was actually nice having something that could cause pain to enemies. Got up to level 12 going through the ship and charged at Liquid Flame with 3 Berserkers in tow. :black101: Losing Galuf mid-fight made the healing a bit easier but aside from a blaze and single target fira combo nothing was too dangerous. Escaping the castle was a bit stressful, but managed on first try. Even running from random encounters, I had to leave most of the Elixirs behind. Managed to get out with about 20 seconds to spare.

Fire Crystal: Blue Mage
Definitely unexpected, but I was grateful. This forced me to backtrack a bit to pick up the spells I had missed, and unfortunately it meant no Death Claw. Ventured into the desert to fight Dhorme Chimera; countering Aqua Breath with Vampire took it out quickly, though Bartz was the only one to survive. This bumped him up to level 15 though, which would make Level 5 Death easy to get (or so I would think). Decided I would just use the set encounter at the top of the library to get both Aera and Level 5 Death in one go. Worked like a charm, Page 32 Aera'd Bartz as it's opening move and Page 64 followed up with Level 5 Death right away. Everything was going to plan until Page 256 showed up and used Moon Flute. poo poo, forgot about that. Oh well, I'll just have everyone melee him no big de- OH HEALING STAFF gently caress. With Berserker missing and one Blue Mage dead, I was out healing my own damage and was slowly melee'd to death. The second attempt was much easier after simply taking off the drat thing. Ifrit went down fast to Aera, and it was at this point I realized that everyone was about one battle from hitting level 15. Not making another dumb mistake yet, I simply ran from everything until reaching Byblos. Byblos wasn't too bad, chipped away at him with Berserker and Goblin Punch until he reached his Drain phase, at which point I just finished him off by breaking the Fire Rod I had.

Off to Crescent Island!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ayana posted:

Yeah, once I gained two levels and fried the launchers because it finally occurred to me that getting rid of them would get rid of Missile it was smooth sailing.

Archeoavis was a piece of cake, first form spammed !Gaia for Wind Slash, second just beat it's face in. And now I can use Dragoons. Yay. :geno: Ugh, there's three good classes, and I get the meh one. And it's got like no synergy with Mystic Knight, either, unless I use a knife. On a Dragoon.

Final team is now White Mage/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Dragoon.

If it makes you feel better, Jump bypasses the Chicken Knife's Flee effect. :shobon:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Archaeoavis was a pain in the dick for me because I forgot his second form absorbed all elements. I had BM/TM/Ranger, so my only damage was the single ranger I had.

The ranger was pretty cool because I found out that !Animals is really useful, though unreliable when you have no other healing.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The Sage of the Knight and Three Berserkers: Update the Second

So, World 2. World 2 is more or less where the game actually begins. You have all your jobs and a full party to work with, and you're just starting to come into your own with abilities and equipment. Notably, a lot more special equipment is introduced in World 2-equipment that has effects beyond just a statistical upgrade.

World 2 leads off with the solo Bartz versus Abductor fight. My party set up up until now was Bartz as a Knight with Berserk and everyone else Berserkers. Bartz has Berserk simply because it makes randoms go by faster, and a lot of bosses too (It also meshes well with Fast Forward for when you've seen these fights a million times!). So, the Abductor fight was literally bashing its head in with the Ancient Sword a couple of times. He landed a Maelstrom but couldn't take it home, so I took my well deserved Tent to bring my total even closer to 99, got gassed, moved on.

Thanks to my grinding for cash against Wild Nakks (and a single attempt at Minidragons, hoping they'd drop better cash-they don't, not for the effort), Galuf was seven levels down on the rest of my team. Still, a level 20 Berserker is still sufficient to chew through the battles in Exdeath's Castle, and Gilgamesh wasn't any more trouble either. The way back out saw me have my final Knight/Berserker x 3 party for the first time, and the randoms definitely never stood a chance there.

The Big Bridge itself was easy-the randoms are no threat at all. Gilgamesh, however...
When he goes into his pinch phase at 2500 HP, he casts Haste and starts jumping. This is bad. Three Berserkers aren't winning any speed races, and even with my inflated levels I can't take many attacks like that. My solution was twofold: Hope for an Old proc on the Ancient Sword, and hope that I could get Silence off of a Mage Masher at just the right time. It would have to be: while Gilgamesh is vulnerable to Silence, his Heavy trait would ensure that Silence would last for a few seconds at best. I'd have to hope that Silence would trigger right before he started his spell routine. Luckily I'd anticipated this need and bought four Mage Mashers before I left the first world.

The strategy went off perfectly on the second attempt: Bartz landed an Old early on, while my other three bashed with Mage Mashers and got a Silence just in time to see him cast Haste, Protect, and Shell to no effect. The damage parity in my favor again, Gilgamesh was downed in short order.

The overworld fights up until Lugor were, again, no threat. Lugor itself was home to the full set of Golden armor and some Sleep Swords. I bought a full set of Sleep Swords thinking I might want them at some point. The one battle I would I sold them before.

I skipped Kuzar because Shield Dragons are lethal little things with no benefit to my going there. Also, I wanted to trigger a harmless glitch later. The randoms were uneventful, and then I reached the Tyrannosaur. While I could have cheesed him with a Phoenix Down or Elixir, I instead let my Berserking team take care of him.

The Moogle Village was looted, including my third Elf Cape and the Dancing Dagger, and I moved on to Kelb. There wasn't much here for me, and I moved on to Hiryuu Valley, and got pasted on the floor because I hadn't bothered to stock up on extra potions and high potions. I sold off my excess equipment, and fixed this problem.

The Hiryuu Valley is home to the Bone Mail, one of the best armors there is. The Undead downside is hardly one when there are a lot more enemies trying to punch you than cast Fire on you. The Hiryuu Plant was no challenge at all-I put Equip Axes on Bartz, handed him a Doom Axe, and swung. Gotta love Death-vulnerable bosses, right?

Speaking of, after some plot, Gilgamesh and Enkidu were up next. I was hoping for Death to trigger on the first strike, but the random spell chance waited until after Enkidu was already around and dead to kill off Gilgamesh. No matter: it let me get a laugh out of Enkidu Vampire-ing a Bone Mail'd Faris.

The Barrier Tower itself saw my team of spellcasting weapons constantly bounce their effects off of Wall Knights. I scored a single Wall Ring off one of them-I didn't see the need for more when my accessory of choice would be the Flame Ring later. I got the Drain Sword, but its hit rate and my character's laughable Magic Power scores meant that it was just extra gil.

I figured Atomos would be difficult, but I figured for the first attempt I'd go for the comedy option and go with Berserkers. I realized to my sadness I'd sold my Sleep Swords before the one battle they would have been really useful on, but I pushed on anyway. Atomos's initial Comet spam killed Bartz, but then my other Berserkers killed Atomos. Go figure.

Ghido's Cave was literally not notable at all.

And so I reached the Great Forest of Mua. I restocked on Potions/High Potions and upgraded my armor, and proceeded into the Forest. The only issue were Tiny Mages constantly Mini-ing my party, but this was a minor problem. I got to the Save Point, snagged the Aegis Shield, and finally found my prize.

The Flame Sword.

I outfitted everyone with Flame Rings, and took Berserk off of Bartz for the final time. I got into a random and tested it out. Front row Double Handing Bartz on another front row teammate healed a nice 2000 HP. My plan successful, I then proceeded to repeat these events a few times.

Turns out the boss that requires you to pick your attacks carefully is hard with three Berserkers. Who knew?

The Seal Guardians were just about keeping my HP up and hoping the attacks fell right. They did after a few tries, and it was only later I found out they weren't Heavy. I could have made things so much simpler with my trusty Doom Axes instead of the slightly stronger Venom Axes. Oh well.

Finally, I made it to Castle Exdeath. Again, the randoms were of little consequence, beyond the odd reflected Poison/Doom spell from one of the mage enemies. Gilgamesh was also no problem. Even losing half my damage to Sonic Wave didn't stop him from getting stomped.

Then there was Exdeath himself.

I tried a few configurations, and eventually arrived at the brilliant plan of "Flame Sword my teammates and hope they get lots of hits in". That's all I could do, really. There was nothing I could really do to take advantage of Exdeath, no amazing tactic. Just hope for lots of hits. After a few attempts and a lucky Dynamo bringing my party members back to the front row, he died, and I landed in front of Castle Tycoon.

My status as of the Seal Guardians (Just add a level or two if you want to know the absolute current):

TiltedAtWindmills
Sep 4, 2009
edit: nevermind

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So now I have my fourth job, Chemist. Black Mage/Summoner/Ranger/Chemist. I didn't like using the Attack command anyways...

I've mainly been using my Summoner as a healer by spamming Sylph, and because the only bows I had did elemental damage, I had to fight Archaeoavis' second form using nothing but Chocobo summon, so that was...fun.

EDIT: Also, beating Archaeoavis means I'm farther than I ever have been in FFV, so now I have NO IDEA what's going to happen next :science:

Xad fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 18, 2012

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A little late to the party, but how can I resist an excuse to replay my favorite of the FF games? Got dealt Black Mage to start.

Is there a way to switch from #reg to #reghard? I kinda meant to do the second but got distracted at the crucial moment. On second thought, though, it could be interesting to have utility classes like White Mage and Thief locked off for good rather than a chance of rolling them later. So maybe I don't wanna change...

VVVVV: Ok, so there's nothing automatic like #makeitharder. I already tweeted a #reghard to see if it would switch so I'll take whatever I get dealt when new crystals come along, whether it swaps or not.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 18, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think you can tweet Gilgabot and ask him to switch you over from regular to hard mode, though it might take awhile before RK gets around to it.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

gently caress you Neo Exdeath I jumped your face off. :mad:

Thief/Red Mage/Bard/Dragoon
:farisdealwithit:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I signed up for the Fiesta and got Thief. Do I have to tweet #wind when I get to the Wind Crystal or...?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

SO yeah, I don't know if this was posted, but the Theatrhythm trailer is making me want the game more. I didn't think I could like the idea of a Rhythm RPG so much, but this is really great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHqIsFHFGrQ&hd=1

Not going to lie, everything about that game looks like garbage. From the terrible character models to the actual 'game' itself.

fount of knowledge posted:

I'm rooting for you, man. There can't be too many people unlucky cursed special enough to roll up three berserkers, Risk or no. Here's hoping you can take it all the way.

With enough levels it'd be possible. 6k-7k HP berserkers with Excalibur/Rune Axe/Brave Blade(?) should do murderous amounts of damage.

I forgot to get the chicken knife (and heal staff). But who needs em? Gold Hairpins for everyone two party members to spam Flare every round while the others assist with flare/holy in between healing as needed. I really want to cheese catastrophe if I can but I can't use time magic and I'm not sure it'll matter with 4 Holy/Flare spells coming at him every round. Might buy 3 more pairs of running shoes if I can't steal more somewhere because even just 1 hasted black mage with the Magus Rod is wrecking things left and right.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

TurnipFritter posted:

I signed up for the Fiesta and got Thief. Do I have to tweet #wind when I get to the Wind Crystal or...?

Nope, it just gives it to you at the start if you register after the fiesta begins. Proceed straight to #water crystal tweeting.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

The Players section of the main website shows you as having already unlocked Thief, so you should be good to go.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Might buy 3 more pairs of running shoes if I can't steal more somewhere because even just 1 hasted black mage with the Magus Rod is wrecking things left and right.

Running Shoes can't be stolen from anything, but the Cheries in the Phoenix Tower have them as a rare drop (6% chance).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

SO yeah, I don't know if this was posted, but the Theatrhythm trailer is making me want the game more. I didn't think I could like the idea of a Rhythm RPG so much, but this is really great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHqIsFHFGrQ&hd=1

Interesting. I love the awesome music and the general campiness and nostalgia of it all, it's just a shame that the actual gameplay looks like crap. While it gives a bunch of characters, it doesn't really seem like there's any differences between them besides "abilities." Speaking of which, the RPG system makes no sense and doesn't look like it really affects gameplay at all. It just seems like a much simpler version of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan with a bunch of Final Fantasy poo poo thrown on it.

But again, that's just based on this trailer. I am hoping that this game becomes the definitive Rhythm RPG the world has been so vehemently clamoring for. At the least, it made me nostalgic as hell for the series.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Any tips for beating Garula with Thieves besides grinding up levels? He keeps killing me even with the Elven Mantle :(

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Any tips for beating Garula with Thieves besides grinding up levels? He keeps killing me even with the Elven Mantle :(
Wyverns in the Walse Tower have Mythril Daggers that can be stolen, which'll double your damage output. If that fails to do the trick, put three of your Thieves in the backrow, with the Mantle bearer leading the front - slow and steady wins the race. A multitude of Potions may also be useful if you're running out of healing.

On that note, I've finally reached World 2, with a party of Thief/Red Mage/Bard/Dancer.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
Well, about to end World 1 with Blue Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Dragoon. I can't complain since I have a lot of power and support, but before I had Dragoon I was really begging for more damage, since I have two support classes. Archaeaevis gave me some trouble, since it's elemental switching was annoying and I didn't really have any cheap powerful spells other than Flamethrower and Vampire. Thanks for the recommendation to get Aqua Breath, thread. Saved me a bunch when fighting Ifrit and Sandworm.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My suggestion is to put everyone in the back row and heal up every time you attack and he counters. It's going to be long and painful, but that's the name of the game. At least you can steal mythril daggers from Y-BURNS wyverns.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Is it bad of me to wonder what kind of insane plot it will have?

quote:

The plot of Theatrhythm, as with Dissidia Final Fantasy and Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, focuses on a conflict between Chaos and Cosmos. The space between the two is called "Rhythm", and houses a Crystal that gives birth to music. When the forces of Chaos disrupt the balance, the Crystal's power wavers. Cosmos thus sends her warriors to increase a music wave called "Rhythpo" to restore balance and make the Crystal shine again.

I'm actually disappointed that it makes sense. :sigh:

And I thought the character designs were bad, check out some of the enemy ones:

It's how I'd imagine "Final Fantasy Babies" to be.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Pesky Splinter posted:

You've been playing too many RPGs if that made sense to you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Is it bad of me to wonder what kind of insane plot it will have?

I'm not sure if the technical term for those is "SD" or "chibi", but either way FF monsters were clearly never intended to be it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks guys. Beat Garula pretty easily, I never usually bother changing rows in FF games. Got Summoner as my second job.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Momomo posted:

You've been playing too many RPGs if that made sense to you.

Compared to Dissidia's "Chaos and Cosmos are the Warrior of Light are actually manikins, and Chaos was created by Nazi-Onrac to take over the world of FF1, and Cosmos was made to control him because she looks like his adopted mother", Kingdom Heart's "how much poo poo can we do to make this make even less sense oh I guess time-travel and clones" plot and FFXIII-2's wacky time-travel hijinx, people trying to fix the rhythm of a broken crystal sounds almost sane by comparison.

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure if the technical term for those is "SD" or "chibi", but either way FF monsters were clearly never intended to be it.

Agreed. They're just plain awful in that style.

[e]: Dissidia Final Fantasy: Theatrbuttchin
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 19, 2012

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Pesky Splinter posted:

That chin is something out of a nightmare. :shepface:

At least Ultros is the smuggest octopus possible, as he should be.

Edit: Also, is it just me or does Cosmos look really bored with the whole thing?

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Thanks guys. Beat Garula pretty easily, I never usually bother changing rows in FF games. Got Summoner as my second job.

My line-up is Thief Summoner Geomancer Dragoon so I can offer some advice for the early sections of the game if you're having trouble with those first two classes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Part of me wants to say the interface is still on the bottom and they just did a mockup to better show off the backgrounds but this is square enix we're talking about.

Looks fun but I don't own a 3DS and I wouldn't pick one up just for that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LoudLoudNoise posted:

My line-up is Thief Summoner Geomancer Dragoon so I can offer some advice for the early sections of the game if you're having trouble with those first two classes.
Thanks, I may take you up on that if I get stuck :) Just beat Liquid Flame in four turns since I got Shiva.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Final Fantasy Anencephaly Babies, maybe.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ayana posted:

That chin is something out of a nightmare. :shepface:

At least Ultros is the smuggest octopus possible, as he should be.

Edit: Also, is it just me or does Cosmos look really bored with the whole thing?

That chin takes :a2m: to a whole new level.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Stealing isn't very fun in the early game. Like, cool, I spent eight rounds of combat trying to steal something, only to be rewarded with a shiny new potion for my efforts. Way to go game~

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, now I've got Black Mage and Time Mage. I know half the fun of this game is how broken the classes can get, but there's no kill like overkill among these guys. My biggest obstacle is going to be ethers.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TurnipFritter posted:

Stealing isn't very fun in the early game. Like, cool, I spent eight rounds of combat trying to steal something, only to be rewarded with a shiny new potion for my efforts. Way to go game~

When you need 70+ potions for Garula, you'll be glad you didn't have to buy them.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I regged for the Fiesta. Pretty pumped.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Bruceski posted:

Man, now I've got Black Mage and Time Mage. I know half the fun of this game is how broken the classes can get, but there's no kill like overkill among these guys. My biggest obstacle is going to be ethers.

Yeah, I had Black Mage/Summoner. The fights go from :smug: "Hah, that was fast" to :gonk: "OH GOD EVERYONE'S OUT OF MP RUUUUUUUN"

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
My twitter name is therootsweshare, that's my name on the player list. Who is everyone else?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Thanks, I may take you up on that if I get stuck :) Just beat Liquid Flame in four turns since I got Shiva.

You could have done it in 2 with frost rods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The sad thing about rods is that for almost every class that can use them, you don't really need to.