Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
White Mage was a cruel joke as I ground everything out extremely defensively with the godsent Heal Rod. Then I got Summoner! Woo! Damage! Then I got Black Mage. Woo! More of.. the.. same kind of damage. Then I got Mystic Knight. Holy crap I hate MP. At least I have break sword and I can break rods over people's faces. But it's so inefficient it hurts my soul. I can't kill anything without spending (A LOT OF) mana or taking forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I got knight.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kyrosiris posted:

When you need 70+ potions for Garula, you'll be glad you didn't have to buy them.

Only needed 15 potions :smug:

I used the "Farm Mythril Knives + Elven Mantle on front row + everyone else in the back" tactic someone mentioned earlier.

quote:

@turnipfritters can now use the Water Job 'Mystic Knight'. Time to buy lots of magic!

:toot:

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
Just beat the Fiesta with my White Mage, Berserker, Ranger, and Dancer :)

Overall, fairly easy time, thanks to !White. Protect and Shell allowed me to avoid being one shot by bosses and Almagest, multi target Curaga healed my party to full each cast, and Holy spam gave me a reliable ~2.4k damage dealer, making my Berserker feel silly while she lobbed Thor's Hammer for ~1k with crummy accuracy.

Hardest fight was Byblos, I think it took four tries to beat him before the RNG decided not to Protect counter over ten hits. Everything else went was oneshot, except TwinLania, which I Holy'd and promptly ate a Megaflare counter for ~1500. :downs:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TurnipFritter posted:

Only needed 15 potions :smug:

I used the "Farm Mythril Knives + Elven Mantle on front row + everyone else in the back" tactic someone mentioned earlier.

I didn't get Mythril Knives or grind as high as you did (I only had ~150 HP), so :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

@Bruceski1 can now use the Fire Job 'Beastmaster'. Yay! Time to catch 'em all!

Huh, this is gonna be interesting. I've never really used a Beastmaster as more than a Blue Mage feeder. What with the megadamage coming out of my black and time mages this may wind up just whipping hoping to catch something at low enough life that didn't die. What's the threshold, 10%?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Himuro posted:

My twitter name is therootsweshare, that's my name on the player list. Who is everyone else?

Mega64_LP since I couldn't think of anything better, but then I've mainly been using my account to show off my awesome death pic collection.

World 2 so far is simple. Abductor sucked it to Thundara, and Berserker Galuf blocked half of Gilgamesh's attacks with the Main Gauche. The second Gilgamesh fight was fun thanks to my Red Mage layering everyone with Protect and Cura. My Red Mage kept healing while everyone else beat him up.

For Tyrannosaur, did Phoenix Down when my party was about dead, but felt bad about it and decided to try him legit. Both fights, I forget to unequip Deathsickle from my Berserker. I still won, with my Berserker alive no less. Reviving him actually came in handy to nullify his Revenge attacks. It was a weird match.

After that, I grinded in Bal until I unlocked Doublecast for Bartz. Probably don't need it yet, but I'm sure it'll come in handy around the point where I'll be hurting for the -aga spells, or at least to get Protect on quicker.

And that's enough for one day.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 19, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bruceski posted:

@Bruceski1 can now use the Fire Job 'Beastmaster'. Yay! Time to catch 'em all!

Huh, this is gonna be interesting. I've never really used a Beastmaster as more than a Blue Mage feeder. What with the megadamage coming out of my black and time mages this may wind up just whipping hoping to catch something at low enough life that didn't die. What's the threshold, 10%?

1/8 of max HP until you get the Gourd in World 2. Gourd kicks the threshold up to 1/2 of max HP.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

YES! Full party healing, finally! Vampire and drain spellblade are alright but it's nice to have an honest to goodness healing spell after ten hours.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Made it out of Karnak Castle with 9 seconds to spare but all treasures got! Next job is... Bard. Huh. I have a use for playing all those pianos at least...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Made it out of Karnak Castle with 9 seconds to spare but all treasures got! Next job is... Bard. Huh. I have a use for playing all those pianos at least...

I've been playing them out of reflex. Right now I'm reminding myself that I don't *need* to go kill Shiva, though I think I'll do so anyway.

Fighting Gilgamesh without a thief is going to be painful. Goes against every bone in my body.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo, man. FF5 without a healer is loving AWESOME.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I've been playing them out of reflex. Right now I'm reminding myself that I don't *need* to go kill Shiva, though I think I'll do so anyway.

Fighting Gilgamesh without a thief is going to be painful. Goes against every bone in my body.

I'm fighting him with a thief... and without anyone who can actually use the Genji equipment. Stealing it anyway on principle.

Also, Swift Song is pretty loving awesome.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

YES! Full party healing, finally! Vampire and drain spellblade are alright but it's nice to have an honest to goodness healing spell after ten hours.

How did you manage this without a beastmaster?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fister Roboto posted:

How did you manage this without a beastmaster?

Confusion from the Dancer's Tempting Tango.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Kyrosiris posted:

Confusion from the Dancer's Tempting Tango.

You can also use the dancing knife to do this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was gonna say, how did he manage THAT without a dancer?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm progressing pretty slowly. I just got to Sandworm, and it's hitting me like a brick wall.

Any hot tips for a White Mage/Berserker/Bard party?

Asterid
Feb 20, 2012

I think I've gone a bit overboard with Job grinding... :blush:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Well I hit the final wall.

My team of Blue/Berserk/Beast/Dragoon went relatively smoothly through the Void, skipped Necromorph because gently caress that, and then got my face stomped in hard by Neo Exdeath. His first form wasn't even a challenge, just able to keep everyone healed with White Wind while my Berserker/Dragoon do good damage.

But Ahgrest or whatever that move Neo Exdeath does... there's no real way to prepare for that outside of grinding isn't there? I'm sitting at L37 on everyone and felt that would've been fine for completing the challenge. :sigh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Bard is secretly the ultimate grind class. Deep Sea Trench here we come.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

ShadeofDante posted:

My team of Blue/Berserk/Beast/Dragoon went relatively smoothly through the Void, skipped Necromorph because gently caress that, and then got my face stomped in hard by Neo Exdeath. His first form wasn't even a challenge, just able to keep everyone healed with White Wind while my Berserker/Dragoon do good damage.

But Ahgrest or whatever that move Neo Exdeath does... there's no real way to prepare for that outside of grinding isn't there? I'm sitting at L37 on everyone and felt that would've been fine for completing the challenge. :sigh:

Do you have mighty guard? It should keep your party up through almagest, and then you can use your blue mage to basically just spam white wind. The bottom part of ex death is the one that casts it, so kill him first and save your magic lamp zetsuken to kill the back part (or doom, I think blue mage doom works on it.)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Bard is secretly the ultimate grind class. Deep Sea Trench here we come.

I totally found this out just now. Being able to stop every enemy on the field and then wait as my Berserkers destroy the left side of the screen after missing three times is pretty crazy. And now that I've got one of my Berserkers using a Death Sickle, sometimes an enemy that usually takes two or three hits goes down in one. Sweet!

poo poo, I might just grind until my guys can just eat every counterattack Sandworm throws.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'm progressing pretty slowly. I just got to Sandworm, and it's hitting me like a brick wall.

Any hot tips for a White Mage/Berserker/Bard party?

Kill your Berserker before battle, and have two Bards wearing Elf Capes in the front do the fighting. It's going to be a long slog, but you should be able to pick away at its HP over time, and keep yourself healed, until it finally croaks. Don't forget Vitality Song, either.

Lilli posted:

Do you have mighty guard? It should keep your party up through almagest, and then you can use your blue mage to basically just spam white wind. The bottom part of ex death is the one that casts it, so kill him first and save your magic lamp zetsuken to kill the back part (or doom, I think blue mage doom works on it.)

The top-left part casts Dispel, though... maybe try Mighty Guard while Neo Exdeath is shaking, which is how it telegraphs Almagest?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lilli posted:

Unless you have Equip Ribbons, I'd much rather take out the Grand Cross part and endure Almagests than the other way around. Grand Cross is a son-of-a-bitch.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

Kill your Berserker before battle, and have two Bards wearing Elf Capes in the front do the fighting. It's going to be a long slog, but you should be able to pick away at its HP over time, and keep yourself healed, until it finally croaks. Don't forget Vitality Song, either.

I wasn't able to loot the Elven Cape from Karnak, but I should be able to double back to Walsh and grab that other one.

With the way my party was set up at the time, I was only able to grab the Main Gauche and the Ribbon. Main Gauche actually helps my Bard stay in the front line, but I'm regretting the ribbion simply because I'm not even guaranteed a Dancer.

No going back, though. I just wish there was an ugrade to to Flail so my WHMs could do a bit more damage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ShadeofDante posted:

Apparently the bottom part is the only one that casts Almagust (until there's only one part left, which can then cast anything), and the bottom part is vulnerable to petrification. The Back part casts Grand Cross, and is vulnerable to instant death. The Magic Lamp can do both (Shoat and Odin, respectively). Then you'll just have to wear the final two parts down roughly equally so you can finish them off together.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Actually, the back part casts White Hole (Petrify + Death). The top part casts Grand Cross, the bottom part casts Almagest, and the front part melees and uses Vacuum Wave.

Of the four, White Hole and Grand Cross are the scariest by far. Just make sure your Blue Mage is maintaining Mighty Guard and your Beastmaster has Elixirs to throw at him.

Of other note, the Almagest part is flagged as a "Creature", meaning the legendary whip does guaranteed criticals against it. The Grand Cross part is also flagged as a "Dragon", meaning the whip you can find from Stingrays is guaranteed criticals against it too.

Edit: And bring a captured enemy that does 1/4 Max HP to the fight, like a Giant Bird or Yellow Dragon. That's 10k HP off of each piece right off the bat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ShadeofDante posted:

If you've got Mighty Guard (and you should since you have a beastmaster) you should easily be able to survive Almagest.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Moldy Taxes posted:

I wasn't able to loot the Elven Cape from Karnak, but I should be able to double back to Walsh and grab that other one.

With the way my party was set up at the time, I was only able to grab the Main Gauche and the Ribbon. Main Gauche actually helps my Bard stay in the front line, but I'm regretting the ribbion simply because I'm not even guaranteed a Dancer.

No going back, though. I just wish there was an ugrade to to Flail so my WHMs could do a bit more damage.

Ouch. This complicates things a bit; while you're still in good shape for the rest of the game, having one fewer Elf Cape means you'll have to be a couple levels higher than you would be otherwise. So, I guess, the Bard that doesn't have the Guardian Dagger/Main Gauche gets the Elf Cape?

Also, never fear, there is in fact an upgrade for the Flail. In Mua Forest, much later in the game. :suicide:

Schwartzcough posted:

Apparently the bottom part is the only one that casts Almagust (until there's only one part left, which can then cast anything), and the bottom part is vulnerable to petrification. The Back part casts Grand Cross, and is vulnerable to instant death. The Magic Lamp can do both (Shoat and Odin, respectively). Then you'll just have to wear the final two parts down roughly equally so you can finish them off together.

Shoat is a single-target attack, unfortunately, and is randomly chosen from the available targets. Thus, it only has a 1/3 chance of connecting. It's definitely worth a try, though.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

Ouch. This complicates things a bit; while you're still in good shape for the rest of the game, having one fewer Elf Cape means you'll have to be a couple levels higher than you would be otherwise. So, I guess, the Bard that doesn't have the Guardian Dagger/Main Gauche gets the Elf Cape?

Also, never fear, there is in fact an upgrade for the Flail. In Mua Forest, much later in the game. :suicide:

Well, like I said before, even having one Bard in the party makes grinding (and random encounters in general) pretty simple, so if I need to grind for some bosses it isn't an issue.

At the very least, not having a sword user means I can run away from battles without regard to the Brave Blade, and late-game I can give the Chicken Knife to either my Bard or Berserker.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
http://www.justin.tv/cube89 I'm going to stream more FF5 Four Job Fiesta. My first job was Knight! What will my second job be... I hope to find out tonight.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

nene. posted:

http://www.justin.tv/cube89 I'm going to stream more FF5 Four Job Fiesta. My first job was Knight! What will my second job be... I hope to find out tonight.

Me too! Any big hurdles with knight only?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Escaped from a fully looted Karnak Castle with 13 seconds to spare and unlocked Geomancer. That's certainly less than ideal, but at least now I can finally hit more than one enemy.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I've been keeping a twitter log here.

However I don't really experience a lot of pain since I got Blue/Summoner/Ranger/Chemist, so I can just break most of the game under my feet through sheer magic power and buffs. It's actually kinda depressing as I expected a challenge, and this is mostly seeming easier than a normal run because I'm not trying to grind Dual-Wield/Rapid Fire on everyone. :geno:

If there's a next year, I should just take all the gimmicks, otherwise I think the RNG likes me in FF5 too much. My mid-year non-event run was literally Blue/Time/Ranger/Chemist.

Moldy Taxes posted:

At the very least, not having a sword user means I can run away from battles without regard to the Brave Blade, and late-game I can give the Chicken Knife to either my Bard or Berserker.

Is there ever any point to taking the Brave Blade? It seems to get nerfed even if you only run away casually.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Managed to beat the game. It was a funny combination having two of the best classes and two of the worst classes, but they actually complimented each other pretty nicely. Since Spellblade can be used with dagger, I could use it with three of the classes. Blue on the Berserker makes the Rune Axe deal a good amount of damage, and I used Mug with Spellsword so I could abuse the chicken knife. I had a slight amount of trouble with world 2, but world 3 was a cakewalk all the way through the end. The only thing I missed having was good instant-random-battle-ending abilities.

Edit: I'm no match for Gogo yet :(

Raiad fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 19, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Is there ever any point to taking the Brave Blade? It seems to get nerfed even if you only run away casually.

If, like me, you never run (ever), then its power isn't that much lower than the theoretical maximum power of the Chicken Knife, it doesn't make you try to run, and, as a sword rather than a knife, it can be used with Spellblade. nevermind

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The biggest problem with the Brave Blade is it can be equipped by a grand total of two classes, counting freelancers.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Thanks to everyone for the obvious advice I forgot. Mighty Guard makes the last battle a struggle but overall a joke.

Butz supremacy. :smug:

This was a blast. The only real struggles I had were fighting Omniscient and NeoExdeath at the very end. Will be definitely doing hard mode next year.

I looked at what was required for Shinryu and Omega and kinda think the only real strategy I can use on those two would be 'grind to a high level and buy really specific gear/rings'. So I doubt I'll be doing that.

On a side note, don't use VBA on the Wii. It was definitely playable but oh so choppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Since I figured my team of Berserkers and Knight would want Protect available, I decided to loot the Defender from Fork Tower. I'm currently "enjoying" Wall Ringing Omniscient out of his 30000 MP.