Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Trasson posted:

Since I figured my team of Berserkers and Knight would want Protect available, I decided to loot the Defender from Fork Tower. I'm currently "enjoying" Wall Ringing Omniscient out of his 30000 MP.

For my own information, does Spellblade count as magic for the Fork Tower, or am I also going to get to enjoy waiting out his 30,000 MP?

nene. posted:

http://www.justin.tv/cube89 I'm going to stream more FF5 Four Job Fiesta. My first job was Knight! What will my second job be... I hope to find out tonight.

This is supposed to be a challenge run. Knight/Mystic Knight/Ranger is NOT a challenge! You're fiesta-ing wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Schwartzcough posted:

For my own information, does Spellblade count as magic for the Fork Tower, or am I also going to get to enjoy waiting out his 30,000 MP?

You can Spellsword, but meleeing him will cause him to cast Reset. So uh, the only option you should use is Mute Sword.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Slap him with mute sword yeah, and make sure you have something to reflect or eat his death-flare at the end. Or doesn't that fire when he's silenced?

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Himuro posted:

Me too! Any big hurdles with knight only?

Good luck to you. Gonna be a toughy.

Seriously wowie Gilgybot really likes me!!! Next year I will do hard and berserker risk for sure, this is just silly.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
Beat World 2 today.

Atomos gave me some trouble the first time. Second time, I said "gently caress it" and used Gil Toss. Died really fast. Faris learned Gil Toss so I switched her to Knight and Lenna to Samurai, and beat the crystals in about 15 seconds. Gil Toss is probably going to be my main form of offense.

I managed to beat Exdeath on the first go, Gil Tossx2 every round and having my Red Mage and Bard with !Red cast Cure 2 or whatever other spell was needed.

And now...The drat ANTLION is kicking my rear end! All of my good gear is still on Faris and Lenna. I'll kill it, it'll just take a little effort.

Bard has become pretty badass at this point.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Is there ever any point to taking the Brave Blade? It seems to get nerfed even if you only run away casually.

It can be used with Double Grip, and does not make you run away a quarter of the time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"@Bruceski1 can now use the Earth Job 'Dragoon'. Yay, jumping!"

So that gives Black/Time/Beastmaster/Dragoon. Any two casters combine well for job/sub and black/time are no exception. Anything clever I can pull with BM or DRG with these combo options? It looks like they'll be pretty basic without anything like Ninja or Ranger to play with. At least I got dealt someone who can wear all the heavy armor.

PizzaFiend
Jun 20, 2008

I think we're on to something, Zach!
I'm in the middle of this challenge but I am about to head to bed for the night. My team is Black Mage, Summoner, Geomancer, and Dancer. I have no idea what I'm going to do. Any tips? I find myself dying a LOT.

Edit: I am noticing my lack of good healing is killing me more often than not. Luckily I just arrived in world 2 and will be getting high potions soon.

PizzaFiend fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 19, 2012

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

A pictoral chronicle of my battle versus Omniscient. I didn't have a screenshot of right before him so the first status screen is from a while before, before I hit Mirage, but with the correct time Photoshopped (okay, MSPaint'd) in, since I remembered it from when I saved over it. Yay fast forward!

As for Spellblade, yeah it triggers Reset unless he's Silence. At least you can Osmose Sword the last bits of his MP. I was stuck waiting until Scan ran out of MP.

As for the point of the Brave Blade versus the Chicken Knife: if you don't have a way to circumvent the Chicken Knife's Flee effect, its damage advantage is a lot less pronounced. I personally prefer the consistency of the Brave Blade in situations like that. Of course, if you have !Dance/!X-Fight/Dual-Wield, or if you can't use the Brave Blade, then you definitely want the Chicken Knife. For a team that lacks those options, the consistent high output of the Brave Blade will be just fine.

Current run status: I've just finished Dancing Dagger Tempting Tango-ing a Gala Cat from the North Mountain to cast Float on Faris. I now need to keep her alive until I hit Catastrophe, but other than that and getting to 99 Potions/High Potions/Phoenix Downs, I'm ready for the endgame. I'm not bothering with the other three Tablet dungeons. I have the Excalibur, Rune Axe, and Assassin's Dagger, so I don't need any of the other Legendaries. I have the Flame Sword, Icebrand, and Defender. I don't have the Mirage Vest, but any battle that would be useful in would be over too quickly. I have ten Elixirs and a full stock of Flame Rings and Running Shoes.

A note on that: grabbing the Flame Rings in World 1 helped a lot. The Seal Guardians I could have Doom Axe'd, sure. Exdeath, though...he was a pain. While I might have been able to get buy with a full set of Wall Rings instead, I was much more assured of victory. Melusine was easy enough with my defense piercing axes, but the Pyramid itself is a bitch and a half and having an easy midbattle heal on hand made things much easier. So, for anyone else doing classes that can use Fire moves but can't otherwise heal with something like White Wind or Curaga: consider grinding out for the Flame Rings, it's a huge help.

A note for that: you only really need three, though. If you're using Fire/2/3 Sword or a Flame Sword, then you can attack yourself through a Flame Shield, as evasion is always zero when you're attacking yourself.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

What trigger's Omniscient's casting Return? I know Attack does, but would !Jump or !Mix?

I'm basically trying to figure out how I'd go about doing Forked Tower when I reach World 3. Holy is pretty desirable for my White Mage, but since my other two jobs so far are Berserker and Bard, I'm out of options for straight-up magic damage dealers.

Otherwise I just hope Silence sticks before I attack him?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bruceski posted:

@Bruceski1 can now use the Fire Job 'Beastmaster'. Yay! Time to catch 'em all!

Huh, this is gonna be interesting. I've never really used a Beastmaster as more than a Blue Mage feeder. What with the megadamage coming out of my black and time mages this may wind up just whipping hoping to catch something at low enough life that didn't die. What's the threshold, 10%?

Control is loving awesome as a support skill. You can control some very tough encounters and tell them to kill themselves, it uses no mana, and with a Hypno crown it almost always lands. It's also a mana-free way to heal your whole party in some encounters, which is especially useful if you have no white magic.

Catch isn't bad but it takes a lot of effort, Control is the skill you're going to be equipping your other guys with.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Hope Silence sticks, yeah, but if you're playing on an emulator, you might be better off running his MP out. He has a few set patterns-if he goes into one that doesn't have Drain, or involves casting Regen on himself after a Reflect (or if your White Mage gave him Reflect) then you can just wait his MP out-Drain is his only damaging move that pierces Reflect.

also screw you Mirage Village Healing Pot. I had to restart the Cleft of Dimensions over because I out of sheer habit hit it and it "cured" Faris's Float.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Huh. I had it in my mind that Reflect was TM in this game.

I'm a bit averse to waiting his MP out, mostly because I've been recording my boss fights as a progress log, and I don't want to spend most of the recording hitting the fast forward button. But if there's no other way around it, I guess I can make a personal exception for one fight.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Trasson posted:

Hope Silence sticks, yeah, but if you're playing on an emulator, you might be better off running his MP out. He has a few set patterns-if he goes into one that doesn't have Drain, or involves casting Regen on himself after a Reflect (or if your White Mage gave him Reflect) then you can just wait his MP out-Drain is his only damaging move that pierces Reflect.

also screw you Mirage Village Healing Pot. I had to restart the Cleft of Dimensions over because I out of sheer habit hit it and it "cured" Faris's Float.

Omniscient was a chump in my run. Imaged myself, berserked him, went to town with a berserked monk and a white mage spamming image. This also worked on Shinryu.

White magic, best magic. :smug:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Luceid posted:

Omniscient was a chump in my run. Imaged myself, berserked him, went to town with a berserked monk and a white mage spamming image. This also worked on Shinryu.

White magic, best magic. :smug:

Shinryu is really easy with pretty much any job if you Berserk him right away. Every attack he makes kills a target, but you have 4 guys so you can revive them faster than he kills them :v: don't even have to heal, just phoenix down them and leave them near death since it's one hit anyway.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Seething, loving crystals. I don't have fire rings. I have one fire shield. Running with thief/beserker /geomancer / dragoon. Levels are in the low 30s. Any advce other than my current plan which is grind, kill my beserker, take them out one at a time.

Xillah fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 19, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kill everyone but the Dragoon, tote the Flame Shield, bring the Fire Crystal into critical HP (so it spams Firaga) and milk that for self-healing while grinding the others down? He can also use the Dancing Dagger - you don't get 2x Jump damage, but you get shots at Swords Dance, which is basically 4x damage.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Xillah posted:

Seething, loving crystals. I don't have fire rings. I have one fire shield. Running with thief/beserker /geomancer / dragoon. Levels are in the low 30s. Any advce other than my current plan which is grind, kill my beserker, take them out one at a time.

You still got a Death Sickle for your Berserker? If so, equip that since it can work on all the crystals;

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUph4b8lwPE

Having gotten the best set of jobs possible for a fiesta, I decided to ignore all sidequests, pick up Syldra, Mighty Guard, and a set of Hermes Sandals and storm the Rift knowing that I could not die unless I got arrogant.

I further decided to play with Neo-Exdeath by using a yellow dragon I caught in Exdeath's Castle so long ago. Because I couldn't lose.

I think I will reload my save and kill the first form with level 5 death for shits and giggles.

Man, does berserker risk still work? It might be the only way to avoid decent jobs again.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

What are the earliest monsters to confuse for White Wind and Mighty Guard (assuming you don't need !Control) after you get the Dancing Dagger? I'm still slogging through the Barrier Tower and it is really aggravating when I run into monsters that are Undead since all of my healing abilities are Drain-based.

Edit: GBA version, so Enkidu was immune to confusion.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Man, does berserker risk still work? It might be the only way to avoid decent jobs again.

Nope. Berserker Risk was only available for preregistration.

Tricky posted:

What are the earliest monsters to confuse for White Wind and Mighty Guard (assuming you don't need !Control) after you get the Dancing Dagger? I'm still slogging through the Barrier Tower and it is really aggravating when I run into monsters that are Undead since all of my healing abilities are Drain-based.

Edit: GBA version, so Enkidu was immune to confusion.

Hellraisers in Exdeath's Castle for White Wind. Stingray in the lake near Carwen in the merged world for Mighty Guard.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Well, I ended up with Thief/Red Mage/Ninja/Chemist, so I shouldn't have any problems. I've never used Chemists before, though, as I really abhor any instances of "Guide Dang It" (warning: TvTropes). Why couldn't the abilities simply be spells that burn through your items like MP? I know there are multiple sets of reagents that cause the same effect, but I really feel like there is a better solution here.

None the less, my Chemist is my only source of many buffs, so I've done my research.

Strangely enough, my Chemist with the Dancing Dagger and Lamia Tiara is now my main source of physical damage. I'll probably look into moving Chemist over to my Ninja, once he learns Dual-Wield. In any case, I'm very comfortable with my team now, and don't anticipate any problems all the way to the end.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

W.T. Fits posted:

Nope. Berserker Risk was only available for preregistration.

Hellraisers in Exdeath's Castle for White Wind. Stingray in the lake near Carwen in the merged world for Mighty Guard.

Awesome, thanks.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

PhilippAchtel posted:

None the less, my Chemist is my only source of many buffs, so I've done my research.

If that's all you're using your Chemist for, you really don't get this game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Shinryu is really easy with pretty much any job if you Berserk him right away. Every attack he makes kills a target, but you have 4 guys so you can revive them faster than he kills them :v: don't even have to heal, just phoenix down them and leave them near death since it's one hit anyway.

It really is hilarious to beat Shinryu without taking a single point of damage.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

If that's all you're using your Chemist for, you really don't get this game.

:rolleyes:

I guess you missed the part where I said this is the first time I've used the class? And I have to wonder what the point of the posturing is, but this is the internet, after all.

In any case, I've looked up the offensive Mix combinations, but haven't had chance to see their full effect. Looking forward to that.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Thanks for the advice chaps.

Kyrosiris posted:

Kill everyone but the Dragoon, tote the Flame Shield, bring the Fire Crystal into critical HP (so it spams Firaga) and milk that for self-healing while grinding the others down? He can also use the Dancing Dagger - you don't get 2x Jump damage, but you get shots at Swords Dance, which is basically 4x damage.
Just tried that, worked okay until I got up to the wind guy. I cant take two hits and it dishes out the damage slightly faster than the fire crystal so one comes round before I can finish. I'm thinking with a little grinding and Artful Dodger equipped it may just do the job.

I don't have a death sickle so couldn't try that with my beserker, I don't think I've been this far in FFV before and I'm not using a guide I'll have missed loads.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It helps if your party is fast enough to move before he can though; with the guys I'm using he sometimes gets 2 or even 3 turns before I can revive someone. Annoyingly, it's not consistent either so sometimes it happens immediately other times it happens after 2 or 3 minutes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

With Thief/Summoner/Bard so far, every single boss past Garula has been really easy. Bard isn't much use in boss battles besides giving everybody regen, but I've basically just been spamming one of the elemental summons and using two thieves for alternately attacking and healing. Beat Adamantoise, ready to head up to the flying ruins...

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

With Thief/Summoner/Bard so far, every single boss past Garula has been really easy. Bard isn't much use in boss battles besides giving everybody regen, but I've basically just been spamming one of the elemental summons and using two thieves for alternately attacking and healing. Beat Adamantoise, ready to head up to the flying ruins...

You'll love your bard for bosses starting mid world 2. Get Swift Song from Surgate as soon as you can. Everyone will get their turns faster and faster and faster and faster. It's like having super haste.

And for randoms, of course, being able to inflict stop or confuse on the entire enemy party is awesome. Though so is having your thief just !Flee from everything that you don't have a particular motivation to kill.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

So I'm in the world 3 gear slog at the moment, my ninja and dancer are using legendary gear and the thief blade and chicken knife which is great but my mystic knight is falling behind with 2x great sword which I got from early world 2 and all the other swords im finding are knight only so far, are there any particular upgrades I can grind/buy/steal?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vil posted:

And for randoms, of course, being able to inflict stop or confuse on the entire enemy party is awesome. Though so is having your thief just !Flee from everything that you don't have a particular motivation to kill.
Yeah I have the Stop and Confuse songs as well and they're great for random encounters, plus Bartz's turn always comes up first so I gave him Flee for whenever I just don't feel like fighting. Chicken Knife here I come!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Harvs posted:

So I'm in the world 3 gear slog at the moment, my ninja and dancer are using legendary gear and the thief blade and chicken knife which is great but my mystic knight is falling behind with 2x great sword which I got from early world 2 and all the other swords im finding are knight only so far, are there any particular upgrades I can grind/buy/steal?

Rune Blade (assuming the MP for crits mechanic) or Enhancer (just plain high damage, and a boost to magic), both in Istory Falls. If dual wielding, you can get another Enhancer in the final dungeon. But given that shields can be pretty awesome too, you may not be.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

PhilippAchtel posted:

:rolleyes:

I guess you missed the part where I said this is the first time I've used the class? And I have to wonder what the point of the posturing is, but this is the internet, after all.

In any case, I've looked up the offensive Mix combinations, but haven't had chance to see their full effect. Looking forward to that.

I've never been far enough in FFV to get the earth crystal jobs, so Chemist is completely new to me, too. So far I've been using Hi-Potion+Ether to restore max MP on my Summoner/Black Mage, and Turtle Shell+Maiden's Kiss to drain about 1000 damage from an enemy.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Vil posted:

Rune Blade (assuming the MP for crits mechanic) or Enhancer (just plain high damage, and a boost to magic), both in Istory Falls. If dual wielding, you can get another Enhancer in the final dungeon. But given that shields can be pretty awesome too, you may not be.

Just after you said this I got the enhancer, but thabks for reminding me about the hidden rune blade, they should hold me over for the rest of the game, time to grind a few levels and tackle exdeath

So far this run the most difficult thing has been deciding who looks cutest in their outfit for each job, certainly going hard mode next year

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Breaking from the FFV Fiesta chat - there was an update in the whole http://www.finalfantastyviipc.com domain registered to Square Enix in the past day. This was caught briefly by several people (and Google cache) before the site locked down requiring login credentials:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A built in way to cheat? Oh Square Enix you shouldn't have.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
So I joined this FF5 Four Job Fiesta thing today! Playing on the SNES version for the first time in a good ten years.

My final job setup is Blue Mage/Berserker/Knight/Monk. Boy they weren't kiddin' about hard mode. Blue Magic rocks though, so it helps offset the fact that my classes are all physical. Shame I can't get White Wind though... it would be nice to have some healing.

Just beat Gilgamesh at the start of world 2, rather hilariously. Drained away all his MP with Magic Hammer, and he couldn't do any of that defensive magic he puts up halfway into the fight. What fun!

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

As a man of 5'9" I just want to say heh, I'm bigger than you Cloud :smug:

I can't be excited about this, it will probably be some steam port with a couple of tweaks. If it has an improved translation (with a less stereotypical Barret), or extra content I might be more keen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

FreezingInferno posted:

My final job setup is Blue Mage/Berserker/Knight/Monk. Boy they weren't kiddin' about hard mode. Blue Magic rocks though, so it helps offset the fact that my classes are all physical. Shame I can't get White Wind though... it would be nice to have some healing.

You can get it- it just requires using the Dancing Dagger and hoping for the confusion dance. I think you may have to wait until world 3 to get the right enemy, though.

Edit:

Xillah posted:

As a man of 5'9" I just want to say heh, I'm bigger than you Cloud :smug:

I can't be excited about this, it will probably be some steam port with a couple of tweaks. If it has an improved translation (with a less stereotypical Barret), or extra content I might be more keen.

Yeah, seems like a bare minimum-effort update of the PC version. Not particularly exciting.