Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

The American Dream posted:

It's great seeing Lex Lugar going from boos to cheers to boos to cheers every clash. someone should make a diagram of all his face/heel turns.

I'm amazed that Luger had any reaction at all throughout his career. Speaking of which, has Luger every been interesting???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

I'm amazed that Luger had any reaction at all throughout his career. Speaking of which, has Luger every been interesting???

Early in his career Luger was working with great workers and really motivated, so he was in a lot of great matches and was a really good baby face.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lex Express, and body slamming Yokozuna on an aircraft carrier. There was a moment there that he was almost the next big thing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ColeM posted:

When Miss Elizabeth ODed in his living room?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Die Laughing posted:

Lex Express, and body slamming Yokozuna on an aircraft carrier. There was a moment there that he was almost the next big thing.

I will always say that the WWF missed a big opportunity not turning Lex Luger heel and having him join the Million Dollar Corporation after his rocket push to the main event as a Hogan clone failed.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ColeM posted:

When he came out to this theme music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1qmItatQDk

bartok
May 10, 2006

I thought Lex Luger was kinda enjoyable during the end of WCW in his tag team with Buff Bagwell. It was fun because they were playing parodies of themselves.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chunky Delight posted:

I thought Lex Luger was kinda enjoyable during the end of WCW in his tag team with Buff Bagwell. It was fun because they were playing parodies of themselves.

I do not think that they realized that.

Jabba The American
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna have you thrown out of here in a minute!
It's unfortunate that he never seemed to possess even a shred of desire to get better in the ring. Put a little more talent in that body, and let a manager do all the mic work, and he could've been the man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jabba The American posted:

It's unfortunate that he never seemed to possess even a shred of desire to get better in the ring. Put a little more talent in that body, and let a manager do all the mic work, and he could've been the man.

I think he had more to do with him getting pushed so much when he started so he saw no reason to get better.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 10, 2012

Jabba The American
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna have you thrown out of here in a minute!

bobkatt013 posted:

I think he had more to do with him getting pushed so much we he started he saw no reason to get better.

Fair point. I suppose it would be tough to see the point in getting better if your current level was enough for a main event spot.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Fair point. I suppose it would be tough to see the point in getting better if your current level was enough for a main event spot.

See Cena, John.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well, in WCW he was with a bunch of guys who prided themselves on hard work in the ring. And he was great, and it was fun. Then he went to WWF where that wasn't the case, and had his motorcycle injury. And by the time he was back in WCW no-one in the WCW main event could work, or be bothered. Or both.

Cena puts on good matches with good opponents, which is better than a lot of other people in his position have done.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I don't know how anyone can honestly say Cena doesn't try. You're retarded if you think Cena doesn't try. He's one of the hardest workers in the world. It's the way WWE books him that's annoying.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wasn't saying he doesn't try at all, he just doesn't seem all that interested in ever getting any better at anything. Sure you have every six months or so where he'll really bust his rear end and put on a great match with someone, but everything in between is irritatingly mediocre and predictable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I don't know how anyone can honestly say Cena doesn't try. You're retarded if you think Cena doesn't try. He's one of the hardest workers in the world. It's the way WWE books him that's annoying.

Just because he works A LOT doesn't mean he's the hardest worker. All of his charitable stuff and Make A Wish time aside, he work in the ring is relatively boring and predictable in his weekly matches.

I remember recently there was a Raw in December where they put Cena vs Ryder, who were on screen friends at the time, where if Ryder beats Cena then Ryder would get a US Title shot again Ziggler at the next PPV. So what does Cena do? Goes out there and wrestles the same drat match he does against everybody. No being conflicted about trying to beat Ryder or anything. Just goes out there, beats him clean and quick. His character is so protected it's boring and predictable

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

There's only so much a man can do when he's unable to bend at the middle. :saddowns:

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've been trying to track down some certain WCW clips/segments on youtube to no avail. I'm looking for the pre-NWO "Where the big boys play" segments where they'd show former WCW/current WWF wrestlers getting beaten down by current WCW talent, like Sting beating Cactus Jack. I haven't seen them since they aired, and I just remember them being really ham-handed. Anyone have any handy?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My girlfriend just texted me to inform me that she is watching an episode of Charmed where a demon has to fight BUFF BAGWELL

This episode also features Booker T and Scott Steiner

bartok
May 10, 2006

I remember seeing that episode. They jobbed to the unstoppable tagteam of Shannon Doherty and Alyssa Milano.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

triplexpac posted:

My girlfriend just texted me to inform me that she is watching an episode of Charmed where a demon has to fight BUFF BAGWELL

Shannen Doherty from the show asked Scott Steiner if he could do a gorilla press slam on her.
Steiner: OK but I have to grab your crotch to do that
Doherty : Yeah thats why I asked

Sionistic fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 19, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I have nothing to add to this thread at the moment but I just wanted to say that nothing makes me happier than seeing new posts here. Reading about WCW is so loving entertaining, and I miss it terribly.

Long live the Monday Night Wars.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
If I had a "What If" machine, the very first thing I'd do is see what it would be like if WCW was still around. I have a very limited imagination, it seems.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I remember there being a lot of stupid WCW/WB crossovers, although I doubt any of them tops that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

I remember there being a lot of stupid WCW/WB crossovers, although I doubt any of them tops that.

Not WCW but Rock/Voyager.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Not WCW but Rock/Voyager.

I really love how both wrestling companies were allied with failing jokes of networks.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

triplexpac posted:

If I had a "What If" machine, the very first thing I'd do is see what it would be like if WCW was still around. I have a very limited imagination, it seems.

I find it hard to believe how it would be any different than TNA today. Right down to losing the Monday night time slot and everything.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MassRayPer posted:

I'm pretty sure Stone Cold was on that USA show about cops on bikes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

maniacripper posted:

So was HBK but hwo can you forget this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skeyqz2V4uc

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

maniacripper posted:

I want to see Stone Cold on CHiPs.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

I want to see Stone Cold on CHiPs.

I want to see Armando Alejandro Estrada and Ezekiel Jackson on the WWE Netwerk's new show Chocolate CHiPs.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Flair is the greatest business villain ever.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The one thing I desperately want WWE to do, is bring Ric Flair back as a manager. Have him come back and form a new 4 Horsemen with 4 young guys. Without getting into fantasy booking, Ziggler seems like a natural fit. Of course, they'd never do it right, mostly because they seem to be incapable of running more than one stable at time these days.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I think WWE attempting to do a Horsemen stable like that would end up worse than that TNA Fortune stable.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

triplexpac posted:

I think WWE attempting to do a Horsemen stable like that would end up worse than that TNA Fortune stable.

It would only work if it were Triple H's pet project like Evolution.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

MassRayPer posted:

Kevin Nash on Clarissa the Teenage Witch...in 3D!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

triplexpac posted:

TNA in general is horrible. Fortune is just as much The Horsemen as The Band is the nWo.

Last time we've seen the Four Horsemen as an active stable was 1999. I almost want to say it should stay that way, but that group has had so many different pairings over the years it doesn't matter much.

WWE would probably never do it because Benoit was a Horsemen.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Astro7x posted:

TNA in general is horrible. Fortune is just as much The Horsemen as The Band is the nWo.

Last time we've seen the Four Horsemen as an active stable was 1999. I almost want to say it should stay that way, but that group has had so many different pairings over the years it doesn't matter much.

WWE would probably never do it because Benoit] Paul Roma was a Horsemen and HHH wasn't.

:eng101:

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Astro7x posted:

TNA in general is horrible.
You should probably start watching it as it's been a lot better than WWE lately.

You'll be surprised how much it's improved since :russo: left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Wojtek posted:

You should probably start watching it as it's been a lot better than WWE lately.

You'll be surprised how much it's improved since :russo: left.

I've heard this lately. What exactly do you mean by better? I tried watching TNA around Jan or Feb, and was confused by various convoluted storylines. I finally turned it off after seeing Sting repeatedly falling down while walking down the aisle (I found out later it was his Joker gimmick).

Conversely, I happened to stumble across the ROH tv show a few weeks ago during the day, and while it looked like the production was straight out of high school A/V, the action in the ring was loving AWESOME.

If anything, the ROH stuff reminded me of old WCW. The action was very physical with a more "real" style, and the production was poo poo.