Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Paying too much for Cable? I am and I’m sick of it. I made the decision to cut cable and move to a more digital friendly, possibly less expensive way of doing things. There was an upfront cost, but once things settled, I was paying for what I wanted rather than what the cable company thrust upon me.

:siren: This is currently written for US users only. If you have an international solution, please let me know and I’ll update the OP :siren:

Hardware
Roku – This small box will cut your cable bill in half with a few channels\services. The deluxe edition of the box is only $100 and can stream Netflix\Hulu and various other channels with subscriptions.

AppleTV – Apple’s entry into the streaming TV market. The current model does 1080p and streams TV shows and movies from the iTunes store as well as streaming Netflix. It is currently not jailbroken for streaming other media.

Paper Thin Leaf Indoor Antenna - This can be used to receive anything OTA including sports on stations like CBS

Sites and Stores to get your content
Hulu+
Pros and Cons
+ Watch tons of TV shows
+ See shows shortly after air or even simulcast
- Advertisements
- Occasionally slow to update

Netflix
Pros and Cons
+ Large library
+ No Ads
- Shows expire after a period of time

ITunes
Pros and Cons
+ Large library
+ You can own the content so it can be replayed at any time or just a rental
- Some titles not available

Amazon
Pros and Cons
+ Growing library, much like iTunes
+ You can own the content so it can be replayed at any time or just a rental
- Some titles not available

ESPN360
Pros and Cons
+ Majority of sports will be covered via this site
- Your ISP must be partnered with ESPN to register and receive content

Apps

Fanhattan - You can use this app to determine which service to use to get your desired show

If you have more experience with any of these services, or have any others to add, please let me know via PM or in this thread. I'll be updating the OP with as much information as possible.

VPN Services

Unblock-us.com

edit: Added VPN Services for international\blackout. Thanks again for all the updates

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another option for sports and other live events is OTA HDTV.

This antenna is $35, very small, and has great reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Leaf-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8

Your mileage will vary of course. If you live in a state with smaller cities that don't have their own TV transmitters, you may only be able to pick up a channel or two. But if you can pick up some channels, you may be pleasantly surprised at how good the quality is compared to cable or DTV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Edit: ^^ Personal Anecdote - Living about 25 miles from Chicago and I use this on the bottom floor of my split level house (mounted on a wall only a couple of feet above the ground line outside).

I get every channel (except CBS but they're broadcasting in some frequency only used in two other places in the US) in HD. It can be a bit shaky during storms so I may get the amplified version of it when it goes on sale. Still a great device.

If you've got an iOS device, the Fanhattan app (iTunes page) can help you find out what streaming services can provide you a particular show and movie.

Helpful for figuring out which services are best for your favorite shows.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 15, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there a list somewhere of shows that just aren't available for viewing outside of TV close the air date? For instance, Persons of Interest. And all HBO stuff, but that's expected.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

smackfu posted:

Is there a list somewhere of shows that just aren't available for viewing outside of TV close the air date? For instance, Persons of Interest. And all HBO stuff, but that's expected.

I would recommend using Trakt.tv

Input your shows and it'll tell you when they air

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

smackfu posted:

Another option for sports and other live events is OTA HDTV.

This antenna is $35, very small, and has great reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Leaf-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8

Your mileage will vary of course. If you live in a state with smaller cities that don't have their own TV transmitters, you may only be able to pick up a channel or two. But if you can pick up some channels, you may be pleasantly surprised at how good the quality is compared to cable or DTV.

That's because what's coming through the cable is compressed to hell and back, OTA is not.

Forgot I can plug my laptop into my tv for ESPNU/ESPN360 stuff since the iPad app only works with like 5 providers.

Is swear to god, Charter customers have access to ESPN3 via computer but not through the iPad app, how loving mental is that.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 15, 2012

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

golgo13sf posted:

Is swear to god, Charter customers have access to ESPN3 via computer but not through the iPad app, how loving mental is that.

You're also describing the current state of all broadcast entertainment.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I thought this was going to be a thread about making your own cables. :downs:

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
We have been cable free for about 8 months. We have a blu-ray player in one room, and an X-Box360 in the other. We subscribe to Hulu+ and Netflix. The biggest problem I've run into is CBS. We watch a lot of shows on CBS and can only watch them on the computer at this point. Does anyone have a solution?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I have a Mele 2000, a projector, and Netflix. I use Hulu free and some other free services/stuff.

I built an OTA antennae for my ex to pickup HD content out of a 2x4 and some coathangers. Its invisible because its hidden behind the TV, it was about 3$ in parts. Really easy to do.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LoveMeDead posted:

We have been cable free for about 8 months. We have a blu-ray player in one room, and an X-Box360 in the other. We subscribe to Hulu+ and Netflix. The biggest problem I've run into is CBS. We watch a lot of shows on CBS and can only watch them on the computer at this point. Does anyone have a solution?

HDMI cable to TV?

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

LoveMeDead posted:

Aside from just hooking up a PC to the TV, HDHomeRun OTA tuner to record them on a PC running Windows Media Center as they air, then you can use the Xbox 360 to watch the recordings.

Or, try PlayOn running on the computer.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.
A note on the Leaf antenna: It doesn't do VHF signals, at least not well. Some areas have DTV channels on the VHF band (7-13). Mine has three: ABC, NBC and PBS. Check the "Real" frequency on http://tvfool.com/ for your location for the physical frequencies used in your area.

If you need the VHF band, this similar unit from Winegard http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Company-FL-5000-FlatWave-Digital/dp/B0063705PE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1339852686&sr=8-9&keywords=winegard will cover that. I have the Costco version of this, which is translucent instead of black and white, and costs about $30.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
That is a super useful tool! Thanks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

golgo13sf posted:

That's because what's coming through the cable is compressed to hell and back, OTA is not.

Forgot I can plug my laptop into my tv for ESPNU/ESPN360 stuff since the iPad app only works with like 5 providers.

If you want to use ESPN360 on anything other than a web browser on a computer, you are pretty much required to get PlayOn. PlayOn is always running specials where you can get a lifetime license with a "free" Roku. I say "free" because they usually just give you a Amazon gift card for the cost of a Roku, so if you don't actually need a Roku it's still a pretty nice deal.

Even with ESPN360 and OTA, cutting cable if you want sports isn't easy. You only get select sports games on certain days. You can get something like NBA League Pass if you like basketball, but they have blackout rules so I can't actually follow my local team with it. Like at all unless I go through a proxy (I heard this doesn't work with MLB).

PlayOn is pretty drat useful, not just for sports. It's the only way to get Hulu on your mobile devices if you don't want to pay for Hulu+. And you can stream stuff from TV channel websites too. Spike puts tons of full episodes for all their shows up on their website.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 19, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

If you want to use ESPN360 on anything other than a web browser on a computer, you are pretty much required to get PlayOn. PlayOn is always running specials where you can get a lifetime license with a "free" Roku. I say "free" because they usually just give you a Amazon gift card for the cost of a Roku, so if you don't actually need a Roku it's still a pretty nice deal.

Even with ESPN360 and OTA, cutting cable if you want sports isn't easy. You only get select sports games on certain days. You can get something like NBA League Pass if you like basketball, but they have blackout rules so I can't actually follow my local team with it. Like at all unless I go through a proxy (I heard this doesn't work with MLB).

PlayOn is pretty drat useful, not just for sports. It's the only way to get Hulu on your mobile devices if you don't want to pay for Hulu+. And you can stream stuff from TV channel websites too. Spike puts tons of full episodes for all their shows up on their website.

Good to know

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?
Hopefully this is an appropriate thread to ask this question in. Is there a way to hook up an antenna in one room and connect it to a TV in a different room using the coax jacks on the walls? The reception in my living room (which is downstairs) is poor, so I'm looking for a way to get the antenna up higher (e.g. somewhere upstairs). If that isn't a good idea, I'm open to other suggestions.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

upsciLLion posted:

Hopefully this is an appropriate thread to ask this question in. Is there a way to hook up an antenna in one room and connect it to a TV in a different room using the coax jacks on the walls? The reception in my living room (which is downstairs) is poor, so I'm looking for a way to get the antenna up higher (e.g. somewhere upstairs). If that isn't a good idea, I'm open to other suggestions.

Sure there is. Just use a coupler wherever your coax lines terminate to connect the two lines together.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Pretty sure ESPN3 requires both a participating ISP and a cable tv subscription.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Pretty sure ESPN3 requires both a participating ISP and a cable tv subscription.

Or a .edu domain

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

You don't need a cable subscription. I have access to it through my ISP w/out tv service.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

Not with all providers. I have Comcast internet only and have happily been using ESPN3 for a couple years. I believe Time Warner requires some sort of subscription that includes ESPN though.

No cable is tougher if you want sports. I can get most stuff I want, but for the remainder I've just resigned myself to going to the bar.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

tk posted:

Not with all providers. I have Comcast internet only and have happily been using ESPN3 for a couple years. I believe Time Warner requires some sort of subscription that includes ESPN though.

No cable is tougher if you want sports. I can get most stuff I want, but for the remainder I've just resigned myself to going to the bar.

Local blackout can be a real motherfucker with online sports streaming, especially college football. An antenna can fill most of those holes, but ever once in a while some local cable outfit has the rights that week.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Local blackout can be a real motherfucker with online sports streaming, especially college football. An antenna can fill most of those holes, but ever once in a while some local cable outfit has the rights that week.

This is where VPNs really come in handy. Just spoof your location that way and you can get around any blackout.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

This is where VPNs really come in handy. Just spoof your location that way and you can get around any blackout.

Can you link a few good ones? I'd like to put these in the OP for international posters

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Moeru posted:

Can you link a few good ones? I'd like to put these in the OP for international posters

Well I personally log into VPNs hosted on my friends' home networks so I can't recommend any paid services.

I used to be able to use CoDeeN proxies to get around blackouts, but it appears the list of servers isn't available right now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I thought this was going to be a thread about making your own cables. :downs:

Same here, AND I'm a little disappointed. :downsgun:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Modern Pragmatist posted:

My friend tried that for MLB and they detected he was behind a proxy and demanded he enter his credit card biling info before continuing.

It works for NBA though.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Hide My rear end is a great VPN that i use for Netflix all the time

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
Quick question. I route all my current A/V signals through my home theater receiver. If I ditched DirecTV and went with an antenna, would my TV sound only come through the TV speakers?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Daddyo posted:

Quick question. I route all my current A/V signals through my home theater receiver. If I ditched DirecTV and went with an antenna, would my TV sound only come through the TV speakers?

Your TV should have an optical out you can use to push it back to the receiver.

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Hide My rear end is a great VPN that i use for Netflix all the time

Use Unblock-us.com instead. It's cheaper and much, much faster (Because it isn't VPN)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Lilleput posted:

Use Unblock-us.com instead. It's cheaper and much, much faster (Because it isn't VPN)
Can I do this from the router level so I can use my Apple TV on the VPN? I see you can do this on HMA but I think it requires a certain router. I kinda like "it just works".

E: Yeah, I need a DDRT router or some poo poo to flash....I just have the one I was given by my ISP.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 27, 2012

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I kinda like "it just works".

Welcome to Cord Cutting/HTPCs. It doesn't do that.

spaztaz
Jan 28, 2009
I ditched cable for a Roku and antenna a few weeks ago. Even though I'm not close to a large city the antenna works amazingly well.

If you have a Roku I'd highly recommend the private channel nowheretv. It is run by the same people that do the official Roku Newscaster station and media browser. It has streaming BBC 1-4, streaming CNN international, and streaming PBS from Wisconsin. It also has the latest full episodes (not just clips) of NBC nightly news and several cable news shows (Rachel Maddow, etc).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think the OP is kind of selling the Roku box short, or maybe I just like mine too much.

Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle, MLB.tv, stream from a computer with Plex (or Subsonic for Android fans?), some NBC news stuff, and other video options.

For audio, there's Pandora, Slacker, Rdio, MOG, ShoutCast, Soma.fm, etc.

And if 720p is enough, a box can cost as little as $50 or $60.

Also, most people probably already know, but Amazon Instant Video offers a few thousand movies/shows for no cost to primary Amazon Prime account holders.

skattered
Oct 5, 2005

Too many lies!
Too many lies!
Dish Network pissed me off this morning and I ended up paying $280 just to rid myself of their lovely service.

When you guys talk about mlb.tv on devices like Roku, is there an extra monthly fee associated? Are my local games blacked out? Also, what's the deal with hbo go, do I need an account that subscribes to HBO?

skattered fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 1, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

skattered posted:

When you guys talk about mlb.tv on devices like Roku, is there an extra monthly fee associated? Are my local games blacked out? Also, what's the deal with hbo go, do I need an account that subscribes to HBO?
Yes, yes, and yes.

You need an mlb.tv subsciption (to watch live games, at least), local games are blacked out (with a pretty liberal definition of 'local'), and HBO Go requires a HBO subscription from a participating cable provider.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
A quick reminder to everybody that antennas are antennas, and the big old Archer antenna that the previous owner had on top of the house will pick up the frequencies just fine.

I've seen more than a couple people throw those things out and go buy $150 "Digital Antennas" for absolutely no reason.

Obviously with very directional ones you'll need a rotator, but smaller ones should be non-directional enough to pick up stuff in a decent radius, with best performance in a rough cone coming off the antenna axis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
My DirecTV was officially cancelled today. Back to Comcast internet and their lowest nubs cable package. I still get Fox 5 which is imperative for my Redskin away game fix, Apple TV 2 with the NBA package solves my Rockets viewing.

Jailbroken Apple TV to my NAS with all my movies, Netflix subscription. Possibly Hulu+ when the girlfriend moves in with the 360. Pretty nice adding $100 to other things than 1000 channels I didn't watch.