Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I don't know -- I got an email last week telling me that my turn to order had finally come up, so perhaps production is speeding up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I got my order code and put my order through late last week. I haven't heard anything since :(

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

Powdered Toast Man posted:

So is the consensus now that if you didn't get an order in before the end of April, you're basically hosed for the foreseeable future? What the hell is wrong with these people? There are people waiting to buy it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalability

They were only able to purchase 10k units up front. These guys mortgaged their houses to do it. Now that those 10k sold, they can afford time at larger manufacturing plants.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

So is the consensus now that if you didn't get an order in before the end of April, you're basically hosed for the foreseeable future? What the hell is wrong with these people? There are people waiting to buy it!

To be fair, it's actually a lot harder than you might think to keep a project like this going, and keep stock up. Many projects like this never even get to the point of shipping more than a first test batch.

rustybikes
Mar 12, 2004

I'd heard there were more like 50K of the RPis in the wilds. Given the startup costs, manufacturing, etc., I think they did pretty good for a first release.

With the revenue generated by the sales of these, production should ramp up as things progress. I've also heard that the next drop won't happen until September. :(

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

rustybikes posted:

I'd heard there were more like 50K of the RPis in the wilds. Given the startup costs, manufacturing, etc., I think they did pretty good for a first release.

With the revenue generated by the sales of these, production should ramp up as things progress. I've also heard that the next drop won't happen until September. :(

By "next drop" do you mean available for purchase or do you mean getting shipments out?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I got this on friday:

quote:

Dear customer,

Your Raspberry Pi Id number is <number>

Your date of registration was 31/03

Go to our Raspberry Pi information site to see when you will be invited to place your order for a Raspberry Pi.

<<<<body of email with FAQ links and stuff>>>>

The link about when you can order etc was this: http://australia.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi&file=questions#Queue which shows that I should be allowed to order by tomorrow (or Friday depending on what time they're running on). Then 11 weeks until it ships.

So not "hosed for the foreseeable future", but it'll be a while yet. I can wait. I've thought of 4 different things to try, and I'm thinking of more daily.

Could you use this thing to run a NAS?

rustybikes
Mar 12, 2004

Red Robin Hood posted:

By "next drop" do you mean available for purchase or do you mean getting shipments out?

Errm.. Getting shipments out would mean that they're available for purchase. What are you asking? :)

The way the comment I saw read, they would be purchasable again in September from Farnell/RS.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

rustybikes posted:

Errm.. Getting shipments out would mean that they're available for purchase. What are you asking? :)

The way the comment I saw read, they would be purchasable again in September from Farnell/RS.

Hmm... Well I made my purchase by my shipping date is 6 weeks out!

rustybikes
Mar 12, 2004

Red Robin Hood posted:

Hmm... Well I made my purchase by my shipping date is 6 weeks out!

Oh. I get what you're saying. My shameful admission is that I've picked up a couple of these on eBay. Yes, I paid 4-5 times list, but that premium is worth it (for me) to get to play with this thing. I got one to talk to the CM11 controller to control the X10 lights in the house using heyu. I then put Apache/PHP on, crafted a bit of code, and now I can control the lights in my house with my iPhone (or other WebKit browser). And I'm just getting started.

I look forward to the time when sales of the RPi fund production so that the six-week waits are a memory.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I was going to purchase one but the prices are a bit high for me. Most are selling for over $100. For that price I can almost buy a PS3! :P

rustybikes
Mar 12, 2004

It took me a bit to get over the sticker shock on eBay; I took a couple weeks considering it. When I learnt ITT and at the RPi forums that it would be several months before we can order from them again, the decision was made a little easier. I could either wait and dream/drool about all the cool things I could do with it. All summer. Or, I could suck it up, pay the premium and play all summer with these. It's not a method I recommend, necessarily, mostly because of the price-gouging these guys are doing on eBay. On the other hand, it is capitalism in action - charge what the market will bear.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Don't get me wrong -- I would definitely buy one if I could afford it!

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
I put arch on mine, booted it, and haven't touched it since. I am thinking of selling.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Tiger.Bomb posted:

I put arch on mine, booted it, and haven't touched it since. I am thinking of selling.

My email is redrobinhood.sa@gmail.com :)

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Tiger.Bomb posted:

They run Arch? Are there any instructions on how to install it? Because running arch is exactly what I want to do with mine.

Edit: Hot drat it does run arch. Do you know if its compiled with all the CPU options the pi supports?

Goon Matchmaker fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 20, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Goon Matchmaker posted:

They run Arch? Are there any instructions on how to install it? Because running arch is exactly what I want to do with mine.

It appears this may be what you're looking for!

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Expected ship date 8/16 :( So many cool things I could be doing...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
So when I eventually get one of these I want to host an html file and a few images. Is this safe from my home network?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Web-Server/?ALLSTEPS

SquallStrife
Jan 20, 2009

"The Goon" by Metanaut.
People splashing out on Class 10 SD cards specifically for their Pi's, know that the Pi has a pretty rotten SD interface, anything over Class 4 is wasted from what I've experienced.

You can improve performance by adding the "noatime" and "nodiratime" flags to /etc/fstab to stop the OS updating the SD card every time it accesses a file. This should go towards longevity of the card, too.

If you want better performance from your Pi, it's much much faster if you use a USB HDD, or even mount root over NFS.

The other bonus with these methods is that you can use whatever crappy old 512MB cards you might have lying around, just to carry the little FAT partition that Pi boots from.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

SquallStrife posted:

If you want better performance from your Pi, it's much much faster if you use a USB HDD, or even mount root over NFS.
Are there any tutorials on setting up pi for net booting? Can I take an existing image like Raspbmc and modify it to do that?

SquallStrife
Jan 20, 2009

"The Goon" by Metanaut.

peepsalot posted:

Are there any tutorials on setting up pi for net booting? Can I take an existing image like Raspbmc and modify it to do that?

Not that I could link you to off-hand, but there's probably something in the official forums on the topic.

Getting it set up just means mirroring the root filesystem to a directory on some other Linux/Unix based computer, exporting it, and modifying the cmdline.txt on your SD card.

It should work for any distribution.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I considered using a USB hard drive and now I guess I don't have an excuse not to. I wouldn't even need anything big and those things are so dirt cheap these days...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Camera module coming: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1254

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Pretty cool that they started with a 14MP camera (!) rather than just tacking on some ultra cheap generic low-res webcam.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
All I can think of is ultra-cheap, very-efficient security cameras!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pweller posted:

Pretty cool that they started with a 14MP camera (!) rather than just tacking on some ultra cheap generic low-res webcam.

To be fair that's only for the prototype, they plan to use lower ones for production.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Mine just arrived today, I'd almost forgotten about it. :dance:
I just finished copying a Debian image onto an Sd card, now to get out my monitor and fire it up.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Just got mine today too! My plan is to replace my Atom based carputer with the Pi. I primarily use the carputer for logging OBD and GPS data using the appropriately named obdgpslogger: http://icculus.org/obdgpslogger/

I've also used the GPS traces for OpenStreetMap. Someday I may try to make a media player out of it, but that'll probably take more free time than I have available these days.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
You fuckers! :argh: If one of you gets bored I think it would be cool to send it around from goon to goon (paying, of course).

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

greenman100 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalability

They were only able to purchase 10k units up front. These guys mortgaged their houses to do it. Now that those 10k sold, they can afford time at larger manufacturing plants.

They're funded by a giant multinational semiconductor company as a PR move. Why the gently caress would they need to do that?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mill Town posted:

They're funded by a giant multinational semiconductor company as a PR move. Why the gently caress would they need to do that?

The giant multinational semiconductor company isn't actually giving them money. What they get is is the ability to buy the chips at a price normally reserved for much larger orders, and a bit of support in making the thing work.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Box just came in from element14 with 5 pi's, so they must be past the 'one per customer' phase. I imagine this means everyone's should be here very soon.

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

Mill Town posted:

That isn't true. Also, calm down dude.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

bobua posted:

Box just came in from element14 with 5 pi's, so they must be past the 'one per customer' phase. I imagine this means everyone's should be here very soon.

Either that or somebody needs to share! :colbert:

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I'll enjoy all 5 of my pi's. As for anyone who didn't get their order in in a timely fashion, well, let them eat cake.

:smug:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I keep missing people selling their Pi's on SA Mart :suicide:

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Posting from my Pi right now. :smug:

I'm running Debian Squeeze on a 4G SD card, it comes with LXDE desktop environment with Midori web browser. I've noticed animated gifs sort of flash and don't display right, no other problems. Flash and Java don't work yet. There are other Linux images that can be installed but I'll stick with this for now.

I ordered a clear acrylic case for this off of eBay.

Doublethink
Sep 11, 2001

Umpossible my dear fellow, simply umpossible
have mine as well, using it as a base for a photo booth application, i got gphoto2 compiled and running on it. and started playing with the GPIO pins. Overall very exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Speaking of playing with the GPIO pins, there's a breakout board on the market:

http://shop.ciseco.co.uk/slice-of-pi/

It even has an Xbee connector.