Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Xillah posted:

I can't be excited about this, it will probably be some steam port with a couple of tweaks. If it has an improved translation (with a less stereotypical Barret), or extra content I might be more keen.

If it does it better than the amalgamation of random internet patches, I'm sold.

If they don't do it better than them (i.e. the higher res models), welp.

EDIT: Basically if they can't do it equal to or better than something like this.

I guess this is the first of the wave of things for the 25th anniversary. Hopefully there's more.

Winks fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cool new feature: Sometimes when you load up a save through Cloud, you'll have an entirely different party with much better equipment, materia and stats. All of Tifa's lines will be replaced with the beginning of a half-hearted error message.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Would be $%&!(*& awessome if Aeris didn't die....but Barret smashed into a tree at the end of that snow boarding sub-game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FreezingInferno posted:

So I joined this FF5 Four Job Fiesta thing today! Playing on the SNES version for the first time in a good ten years.

My final job setup is Blue Mage/Berserker/Knight/Monk. Boy they weren't kiddin' about hard mode. Blue Magic rocks though, so it helps offset the fact that my classes are all physical. Shame I can't get White Wind though... it would be nice to have some healing.

Just beat Gilgamesh at the start of world 2, rather hilariously. Drained away all his MP with Magic Hammer, and he couldn't do any of that defensive magic he puts up halfway into the fight. What fun!

You can get White Wind and Mighty Guard but you have to rely on the dancing dagger to confuse stuff and then hope it uses the skill on you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ragequit posted:

Breaking from the FFV Fiesta chat - there was an update in the whole http://www.finalfantastyviipc.com domain registered to Square Enix in the past day. This was caught briefly by several people (and Google cache) before the site locked down requiring login credentials:

I know its not ready for public release but I really got a kick out of Cid's bio. Job: Pilot. Weapon: Pilot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hm. If that's real, they're using Aerith instead of Aeris. That would imply a retranslation.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Hm. If that's real, they're using Aerith instead of Aeris. That would imply a retranslation.

Oh...no more "this guy are sick" or Hillbilly Jenova "Beacause you are a puppet". Well that actually fixed that for the first PC version...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Apparently they decided I suck at this game so I was blessed with both Mystic Knight and Samurai. The only real trouble I've had so far was the Soul Cannon, but it was nothing a few levels, an Angel Ring and copious amounts of HiPotions from back here couldn't take care of.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Taking a break from the fiesta tonight, so mini-progress report (Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage):

Left Bal with Doublecast, humiliated Abductor. Went to the mountain, picked up Requiem, wrecked undead's poo poo. Gave my Berserker the Bone Mail because why not, and then had an easy-but-lengthy fight with the Dragon Pod. Now I have the Hiyruu, so all is good.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Or CTRL-F Aeris, click 'find and replace', Aerith. :downs:

All the FFVII compilation stuff have used Aerith, haven't they?

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

ImpAtom posted:

Thought it was only Aeris in the PAL release.

I want them to have 20 dollar DLC where you go on an epic adventure to resurrect Aeris. After roaming the lifestream for 25 hours to make sure I get the Sages of the Square Summon (Level 53 death bitches!), after fighting the boss (which would be all but impossible) you discover that true immortality is in the heart of loved ones and dead is dead.

FFV talk: Just killed those loving crystals. Level 42. I hate the way this rolled, it's like the first 20 hours FF13.

Xillah fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 19, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Winks posted:

They have, but it seems weird they'd go through the trouble of changing that and nothing else.

Xillah posted:

Thought it was only Aeris in the PAL release.

Nope. US release too. That's while people get into crazy arguments about it because Aeris was how it was originally translated. It's been "Aerith" in almost everything since.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Breaking from the FFV Fiesta chat - there was an update in the whole http://www.finalfantastyviipc.com domain registered to Square Enix in the past day. This was caught briefly by several people (and Google cache) before the site locked down requiring login credentials:

Cloud saves? He couldn't save Aeris.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Winks posted:

Not even that, she's a PC.

Go to game data, Actor4:

Aeris -> Aerith

It is now Aerith wherever she is mentioned.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There's a few albums coming out which seem to be chip-tune versions of various SE games (mostly FF).

SQ Chips2
Battle SQ
Beer SQ

Here's one from a previous album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKXLeUwg5-c.
Just picture this:

Others are just strange...

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 20, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
^^ Well, I wasn't planning on doing anything tonight anyway, I guess. Loving a lot of these.

I hope they remove the ability to name characters, and then charge $5 for DLC that only renames Aeris to Aerith.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 19, 2012

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Xillah posted:

Would be $%&!(*& awessome if Aeris didn't die....but Barret smashed into a tree at the end of that snow boarding sub-game.

Oh this reminds me of this interview.

"Originally, there were only going to be three characters in the entire game: Cloud, Barrett, and Aerith. Can you imagine that? And we knew even in the early concept stage that one character would have to die. But we only had three to choose from. I mean, Cloud's the main character, so you can't really kill him. And Barrett... well, that's maybe too obvious."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Xillah posted:

I want them to have 20 dollar DLC where you go on an epic adventure to resurrect Aeris.

I don't think this would ever happen. One of the major themes of the franchise is that when people die, they're dead for good. In fact, a lot of the plots of the games center around the various villains' attempts to cheat death in way or another.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't think this would ever happen. One of the major themes of the franchise is that when people die, they're dead for good. In fact, a lot of the plots of the games center around the various villains' attempts to cheat death in way or another.

But my uncle who works at Squaresoft said the way to bring her back into the party was to find all 35 of the 1/35 SOLDIERs and take them to the waterfall cave and give them to Lucrecia, and she'd give the ressurection materia, and then you go to the Forgoten Capital and use it where she died and she floats back to the surface.

Are you calling him a lier? <:mad:>

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

W.T. Fits posted:

Hence the rest of Xillah's post. It would keep themes consistent while being a delightful troll on players.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Mega64 posted:

I hope they remove the ability to name characters, and then charge $5 for DLC that only renames Aeris to Aerith.

Single sex marriage is a hot topic right now, I hope they make Cid the last Ancient and have Aerith become the kickass chain smoking pilot.

Honestly, I just hope they just do SOMETHING to make this different. If a certain corner of the internet shits bricks about them ruining the CANON then I'll be really pleased.

I'm a guy that loved this game, that game had to last me for a year (we weren't poor, my mum just wouldn't buy computer games for "that contraption"). I traded in anything I could to buy the US import version, my paper round bought the PC version. I didn't have the internet and just wanted there to be extra content, there had to be some differences right? Wrong!
I downloaded it on PSN over christmas and played it with my kid. He's now obsessed with everything final fantasy now (and enjoying grinding for me in the Fiesta. HAH!). Unfortunately this means I've sat through the extended Advent children BluRay 30+ times now.

Whoops, got derailed. I'd just love something, anything new. I loved that game, I see it's flaws now I'm older but when I was 13/14 it was Shakespeare.

FF Fiesta talk: Galuf :(

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

W.T. Fits posted:

Keep reading, at the end of my DLC she stays dead and buyers are pissed :smug:

Edit: Double post and this guy:

Schwartzcough posted:

Hence the rest of Xillah's post. It would keep themes consistent while being a delightful troll on players.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pesky Splinter posted:

But my uncle who works at Squaresoft said the way to bring her back into the party was to find all 35 of the 1/35 SOLDIERs and take them to the waterfall cave and give them to Lucrecia, and she'd give the ressurection materia, and then you go to the Forgoten Capital and use it where she died and she floats back to the surface.

Are you calling him a lier? <:mad:>

Yep.

Xillah posted:

Keep reading, at the end of my DLC she stays dead and buyers are pissed :smug:

Ah. My mistake. Sorry about that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Xillah posted:

Honestly, I just hope they just do SOMETHING to make this different. If a certain corner of the internet shits bricks about them ruining the CANON then I'll be really pleased.

The only way they could ruin any canon, is if they retroactively add these chucklefucks in via dialogue:

"I've heard rumours that Shinra is training soldiers DEEP underGROUND. They love each other like brothers or something."

"Gee, Sephiroth, where's that guy who you used to hang around with? The guy in the red coat. With the flaming sword. And the one black wing. And looked like Gackt. You know, YOUR BEST FRIEND. Who said he was CHOSEN BY THE PLANET."

I'll be happy as long as they keep that poo poo as far away from FFVII as possible.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I've decided Gilgabot loves me.

@therootsweshare can now use the Water Job 'Red Mage'. Get ready to grind JP.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What jobs do you have?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dr Pepper posted:

What jobs do you have?

Knight and Red Mage. Just completed water.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Final party setup: Monk/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Mystic knight is pretty great now that I can use break sword, and I am pleasantly surprised by how often geo's Gaia comes in handy, but I could really do with more ways of healing my team. Chakra isn't cutting it at all anymore, so pretty much all boss fights are all-out DPS races. The soul cannon was a real bitch.

If anyone has any tips for strategies I could use with this group combination, please let me know, as this is my first time playing so I'm not aware of potential game-trivialising stuff :reject:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Buy Flame Rings, use Fire 2/3 Sword for MASSIVE self-healing.

Edit: I'd also have your Mystic Knight carry your Aegis Shield - you'll get it in World 2.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So now that I'm in Exdeath's Castle for the 2nd time, Bartz has mastered Ranger, Lenna has mastered Summoner, and Galuf/Krile has mastered Black Mage. This is just getting ridiculous.

Lenna is now a Black Mage with Call (might change it to Summon for boss battles), and she ALSO has a Gold Hairpin.

Bartz is now a Summoner with Animals to call ALL OF THE CREATURES, though EqBows might be a better idea. Can Dancing Dagger go off when you use Rapid-Fire? It hasn't so far.

Faris is...still a Chemist, but Mix and Recover are awesome, and she's been a healbot for a while, being the only class I have that can equip a Healing Staff.

aaand Krile is a Ranger with lv6 Black. So. Everything dies.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Himuro posted:

I've decided Gilgabot loves me.

@therootsweshare can now use the Water Job 'Red Mage'. Get ready to grind JP.

I, uh, don't think that's love, dude.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Liquid Flame is absolutely loving my poo poo up. I may have to go with two red mages.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is Berserker really that bad? I just got it to go with my Black Mage.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Harlock posted:

Is Berserker really that bad? I just got it to go with my Black Mage.

It's mostly bad because they can't be controlled (no item use, no special abilities), and the turn system interacts with them wonkily so they take slower turns than normal. That and they provide no real useful abilities to the rest of your party.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fungah! posted:

I, uh, don't think that's love, dude.

Yeah that's pretty terrible unless you're doing hard mode, because you've got no other magic to pair with !X-Magic. I guess enjoy casting level 2 spells twice?

a boxing teahorse
May 17, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that's pretty terrible unless you're doing hard mode, because you've got no other magic to pair with !X-Magic. I guess enjoy casting level 2 spells twice?
Being able to Dual-Cast Raise, have Berserk/Confuse and break Rods are all really useful for the entire game. You could do waaaay worse with the Water Crystal.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

a boxing teahorse posted:

Being able to Dual-Cast Raise, have Berserk/Confuse and break Rods are all really useful for the entire game. You could do waaaay worse with the Water Crystal.

Way worse as in berserker? Not much else from the water crystal thats worse.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Here is an updated version of the site all thanks to Gibbed! http://gib.bo.lt/finalfantasyviipc

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ragequit posted:

Here is an updated version of the site all thanks to Gibbed! http://gib.bo.lt/finalfantasyviipc
The fallout is going to be hilarious when the PC version has achievements when the Playstation version doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Nooooo :gonk:

@therootsweshare can now use the Fire Job 'Bard'. La la la la la! Play the pianos!