Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Geddy Krueger posted:

Pitchfork is streaming another new Baroness track, "March to the Sea".

It's not what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen on YouTube, but I can't say I'm not excited as hell for this album.

What's it called when you get that tingly sensation down your spine when your hear something? That's what happens when the riff starts and John starts singing. Can't wait for this album.

On another note, Mike Scheidt's solo album is out and... yeah. I don't know if I need to listen it to it a bunch of times or what, but so far I'm just not into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I must be going deaf because I'm not hearing all the 'pop' that fans and pitchfork seems to be painfully aware of. March To The Sea is really good though.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

hemophilia posted:

I must be going deaf because I'm not hearing all the 'pop' that fans and pitchfork seems to be painfully aware of. March To The Sea is really good though.

I think because it has a "cleaner" sound. You can almost understand the lyrics, it has a hook and chorus, like a normal song structure I think. They've definitely evolved from First and Second and, in my opinion, get better with each album.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Polegrinder posted:

I think because it has a "cleaner" sound. You can almost understand the lyrics, it has a hook and chorus, like a normal song structure I think. They've definitely evolved from First and Second and, in my opinion, get better with each album.

Those are good things, though? A big problem with baroness was noisy production and a ton of songs with great ideas but no way to end themselves. I think 90% of the Blue Record just kind suddenly of meanders off with guitar harmonies while fading to black. I don't think Red was much better. That stuff is cool when it's in the middle of the song, not when you're wanking around towards the end or banging on chords trying to figure out how to end your song.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Geddy Krueger posted:

It's not what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen on YouTube, but I can't say I'm not excited as hell for this album.

This is loving awesome. Absolutely awesome. I'm glad they took this direction, and really I think it was inevitable, the thing that struck me most about these guys when I first got into them was the more melodic tendencies of the band.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Geddy Krueger posted:

I heard never heard any Baroness until I clicked that. Then I went straight to Amazon and preordered the album.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New Baroness sounds sweet.

Lento just finished tracking their new album. They recorded it all live in their rehearsal room, which could be potentially terrible depending on the mix. https://vimeo.com/43663636

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
Sorry if this has been posted already, and I know you can't tell a whole lot from 30-second samples, but holy poo poo I'm with everyone else in saying new Baroness sounds fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089AF2DS/ref=dm_sp_alb

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Southern Lord just posted this on their Facebook. I'm stoked as fuuuuuck

also christ almighty that new Baroness is epic.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
+1 for Baroness worship, new track is stunning, absolutely stunning.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

fozzie dunlop posted:

Southern Lord just posted this on their Facebook. I'm stoked as fuuuuuck

So am I. And it's gonna be at least a week if not two or more till they get to Finland. I can't wait.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Those previews seem to indicate that Green is radically different from yellow. I'd argue that I'm looking forward to Green more than Yellow. The preview for The Line Between makes me want this album yesterday.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 12, 2012

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

hemophilia posted:

Those are good things, though? A big problem with baroness was noisy production and a ton of songs with great ideas but no way to end themselves. I think 90% of the Blue Record just kind suddenly of meanders off with guitar harmonies while fading to black. I don't think Red was much better. That stuff is cool when it's in the middle of the song, not when you're wanking around towards the end or banging on chords trying to figure out how to end your song.
hell yeah those are good things. you cannot imagine my excitement for these albums. baroness is probably one of my favorite bands right after iron maiden. a guy couldn't ask for a better birthday gift that a double album from an amazing band

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yellow/Green is gonna be an absolute beast, no doubt. There's quite a bit of depth to their music which takes a while to all sink in, so this one is likely going to survive many many plays before I even decide what I think of it. Very excited either way.

Saint Vitus and Acid King tonight!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I'll be the guy who says I don't like the new baroness sound. It's too much like other bands, there's no real experiments/risks being taken. No edge to the sound, maybe is what I'm trying to say.

I prefer the Red album :colbert:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Morbid Florist posted:

I'll be the guy who says I don't like the new baroness sound. It's too much like other bands, there's no real experiments/risks being taken. No edge to the sound, maybe is what I'm trying to say.

I am with you 100%. My friend sent me a link to March to the Sea with "Check out this badass new Foo Fighters song!" and I get where he went with that. It's not bad, and if I turn on the radio it would be great to hear something like this instead of what is commonly played on the radio. Sort of a Torche-y sound. But I definitely prefer Red and the EPs.

Still really interested in hearing the full album.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Asnorban posted:

Sort of a Torche-y sound.

Probably why I liked it so much since I haven't been able to get enough Torche lately.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Wow, March to the Sea is fantastic. Holy poo poo, that album is going to be so awesome.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Asnorban posted:

I am with you 100%. My friend sent me a link to March to the Sea with "Check out this badass new Foo Fighters song!" and I get where he went with that. It's not bad, and if I turn on the radio it would be great to hear something like this instead of what is commonly played on the radio. Sort of a Torche-y sound. But I definitely prefer Red and the EPs.

Still really interested in hearing the full album.

Your friend is dumb and you should hit him for me. Tell him the internet sends its regards.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

nuncle jimbo posted:

Your friend is dumb and you should hit him for me. Tell him the internet sends its regards.

I will indeed hit him for cracking a joke. :thumbsup:

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I'm with the majority in here and loving the new Baroness stuff so far. It's real easy to see where people would be turned off by it if they were fans of anything the band has done before, especially Red and the EPs, but I loved Take My Bones Away and March to the Sea is just so good. That chorus is killer. I can't wait for this album.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Morbid Florist posted:

I agree. There's nothing wrong with sounding "poppy" as long as the music is exciting and interesting, but I hear nothing exciting or interesting in the new Baroness. Their older material is uniquely theirs, but on their new album they pretty much sound like everyone else.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Juaguocio posted:

I agree. There's nothing wrong with sounding "poppy" as long as the music is exciting and interesting, but I hear nothing exciting or interesting in the new Baroness. Their older material is uniquely theirs, but on their new album they pretty much sound like everyone else.

I didn't realize other bands sounded like this. Please direct me to more March to the Sea-esque material and I will be very happy, friend.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

Trees and Squids posted:

I didn't realize other bands sounded like this. Please direct me to more March to the Sea-esque material and I will be very happy, friend.

One friend, while saying he really liked it, said it reminded him of Muse a little bit, and I can somewhat see that with the gigantic chorus and the instrumentation and whatnot. But then he made sure to specify in saying"...you know, when Muse was good and really fun to listen to". So I guess that's why we both love this. Sure, it's a little more conventional and polished, but goddamn does it still get the blood pumping.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Trees and Squids posted:

"March To The Sea" sounds like the Killers with crunchier guitars in my opinion.

For me, it all comes down to rhythm. I thought Baroness used a lot of cool beats and time signature shifts on their old material, and their new stuff is very rhythmically simple by comparison. They're getting more ambitious in terms of harmony and multi-tracking, but less so in terms of deep song structure.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
News: Fu Manchu Begins Writing New Album.

Views: sweet

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
There's two albums' worth of new Baroness coming and all we've heard is presumably the two most accessible songs. Let's not all grab our pitchforks just yet (ha :downsrim:)

Bolek
May 1, 2003

I really didn't like the first song they released, it sounded like they were heading down Mastodon's path, but this one is giving me a bit of hope. I can't tell for sure, but it sounds like they're playing in standard tuning, which I think would be a first for them.

I don't want them to retread past albums, but I also don't want to be listening to Torche with Baizley on vocals.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
Hey guys, I've been trying to be a completist about Thou's discography and I know that they have inventory held by a bunch of distros, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with those distros and if they'd recommend any?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Unbootable posted:

Hey guys, I've been trying to be a completist about Thou's discography and I know that they have inventory held by a bunch of distros, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with those distros and if they'd recommend any?

Off the top of my head, I've gotten Thou records from:
Bis aufs messer
Gilead Media
Denovali Records
Hell Comes Home (they only have the Kowloon Walled City/Thou 7", I think)

Probably some other distros as well, but I can't remember what they were.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Unbootable posted:

It's not exactly what you want, but for others reading Thou has made sure their entire discography is online for free. They had a little piece in one of the Louisiana papers where they mentioned most of their fans had come from downloads, and they were more than happy to oblige.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

The Gasmask posted:

It's not exactly what you want, but for others reading Thou has made sure their entire discography is online for free. They had a little piece in one of the Louisiana papers where they mentioned most of their fans had come from downloads, and they were more than happy to oblige.

Yeah, I check their website every couple months to see what they've updated with, I just really like having physical copies of their releases. I was listening to "The Archer and The Owle" the other day and it just absolutely slays.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

You can also ask Thou themselves if they have a couple copies. They post updates and a ton of stuff in this thread http://foreverdoomed.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2995

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I really, really love the new Ahab album.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Good news, Southern Lord sent me a confirmation email for shipping the Dopesmoker vinyl today. It should be here very soon.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Good news, Southern Lord sent me a confirmation email for shipping the Dopesmoker vinyl today. It should be here very soon.

Excellent. Really hoping to get mine by this weekend.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
A buddy of mine has a band we gig with and they just self-released an album so I thought I'd throw it on here.

Black Tar Prophet - Note to Nod

They are very Bongripper-y, riff heavy, drone band and the album is just one big 41-minute song, so no one would let them put it up online. They have a sample on their ReverbNation. You can buy a physical copy of it on their Bandcamp. Oh, and it is awesome.

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 18, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is their band name a Grails reference?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
If you have access to SiriusXM, there's an interview with Baroness happening right now on Liquid Metal. They're going to play the track 'Eula', but probably not until the end of the interview I'd imagine.

Edit: Apparently this interview is being chopped up between bursts of metal sets. So it'll probably last until 10EST.

e: Eula is pretty sweet. It's like 7 minutes long, and has a nice buildup. Maybe my favorite of the three songs released so far.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Bit the bullet and ordered the Baroness- Yellow & Green vinyl. I got the Yellow/Green coloured LPs, standard edition, so excited for it to arrive. I hope it lives up to the samples/reviews! Gutted I missed Eula when they streamed it on that radio show.