Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I really wanted to go but the only seats available were loving $60 LAWN seats. I'd rather spend a quarter of that on a live DVD since I'd be seeing it on a screen either way, and I won't have to spend $10 per beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
My only Iron Maiden experience was in a soccer stadium in South America and it was amazing. I cried because I was so happy that I was living that moment.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I can't make it to the Jones Beach show and I'm pretty bummed. Seen Maiden four times now and they've killed it every time. I always say they put bands half their age to shame with their live show, but I didn't realize that Nicko turned 60 recently. Guess I'll have to revise that to a third their age.

When they did the Powerslave re-tour a few years back and they opened with Aces High, I just about lost my poo poo. It's been my favorite Maiden song since I first heard them at 14 and I'd never heard them play it live. The entirety of a sold-out MSG going absolutely apeshit when Churchill's speech started playing over the PA was loving incredible. Also of note: when they lost power to the stage during Powerslave and played soccer while the techs figured it out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm going to the first date of the Maiden England US tour this Friday and I am a giddy as a little school girl. This will be my first live Iron Maiden experience. Once that has been looooooog overdue.

Edit: Errr, I mean Thursday. It's gonna be a long enough week as is.

Another heads up: Maiden live loving OWNS. I'm seeing them on August 4 in Sacramento and I can't wait. This will be the 3rd or 4th time I've seen them.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Morbid Florist posted:

I really wanted to go but the only seats available were loving $60 LAWN seats. I'd rather spend a quarter of that on a live DVD since I'd be seeing it on a screen either way, and I won't have to spend $10 per beer.

I'm in the same boat, except the crap lawn seats are $80 (possibly more, not sure if that includes tax or not). :negative:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Drifter287 posted:

I can't make it to the Jones Beach show and I'm pretty bummed. Seen Maiden four times now and they've killed it every time. I always say they put bands half their age to shame with their live show, but I didn't realize that Nicko turned 60 recently. Guess I'll have to revise that to a third their age.

I'm actually going to be in NYC on the 27th, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it to that show.

I may have to stick with just seeing them in Chicago with my wife and kids.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I saw Maiden at MSG with Dream Theater a few years ago. They were good, but it's not one of the best shows I've seen. It's not worth $100+ for the ticket.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Zodijackylite posted:

I saw Maiden at MSG with Dream Theater a few years ago. They were good, but it's not one of the best shows I've seen. It's not worth $100+ for the ticket.
Having seen that tour I respectfully disagree. It all depends on your budget though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joborgzorz posted:

I'm in the same boat, except the crap lawn seats are $80 (possibly more, not sure if that includes tax or not). :negative:

I'd love to see Maiden before I or they die, but I'm not paying that much for anyone, except maybe Rush.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

I'm going to the first date of the Maiden England US tour this Friday and I am a giddy as a little school girl. This will be my first live Iron Maiden experience. Once that has been looooooog overdue.

Edit: Errr, I mean Thursday. It's gonna be a long enough week as is.

I'm going to the Atlanta show on Saturday! So loving pumped. This will also be my first time seeing Maiden.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I've gladly shelled out hundreds of dollars over the course of 4 Maiden shows and it's easily been worth it. I simply can't justify it again this time because I hate the Molson Amphitheatre too much and my work hours have been cut back (hooray for austerity budgets), but I'm still super bummed I can't go. Alice Cooper, too :(

On another note, I don't know how well the album was received by folks in these threads but I've been digging Shining's Blackjazz a lot lately. Is there anything else out there like it? I've been listening to Ephel Duath as well and they hit some of the same notes, and I'm going to look into Fantomas soon. I'm not so concerned with the sax craziness (though I wouldn't mind it) as I am with the general completely bananas nature of the music.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Velocirocktor posted:

On another note, I don't know how well the album was received by folks in these threads but I've been digging Shining's Blackjazz a lot lately. Is there anything else out there like it? I've been listening to Ephel Duath as well and they hit some of the same notes, and I'm going to look into Fantomas soon. I'm not so concerned with the sax craziness (though I wouldn't mind it) as I am with the general completely bananas nature of the music.

I can't really provide anything similar to Blackjazz, but I just want to echo that it is loving awesome. I found it thanks to Ihsahn's After (On The Shores struck me in particular), Jørgen Munkeby is an awesome saxophonist, Shining and his work with Ihsahn is absolutely nuts.

As for completely bananas music, I can't really say I like them, but there's always Unexpect.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 19, 2012

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Is it just me or does Vildhjarta live sound a bit like a Meshuggah coverband?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The new Nile album, At The Gates of Sethu, has leaked. It's everything I hoped it would be - and more! I've only listened to it once, but it may very well rival Annihilation of the Wicked as their best offering to date. They've somehow managed to be a little different and make it fresh while still firmly remaining Nile.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

IRQ posted:

I'd love to see Maiden before I or they die, but I'm not paying that much for anyone, except maybe Rush.

I'd pay it if it wasn't on the goddamn grass at the back of the venue where you can't see the band.

Velocirocktor posted:

I've gladly shelled out hundreds of dollars over the course of 4 Maiden shows and it's easily been worth it. I simply can't justify it again this time because I hate the Molson Amphitheatre too much and my work hours have been cut back (hooray for austerity budgets), but I'm still super bummed I can't go. Alice Cooper, too :(

Sup, commiserating Toronto friend.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Zodijackylite posted:

Brother, I think the fact that Bruce insisted MSG turn the AC off on a 90+ degree July day may be tainting your memories of that night. It was pretty wild.

But man, come the gently caress on. No AC? That was brutal.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

The new Nile album, At The Gates of Sethu, has leaked. It's everything I hoped it would be - and more! I've only listened to it once, but it may very well rival Annihilation of the Wicked as their best offering to date. They've somehow managed to be a little different and make it fresh while still firmly remaining Nile.

It's DEFINITELY different. I'm only on my first listen too, and only 4 songs deep, but I can't put it up with Annihilation...yet. The production is kinda thin sounding compared to AotW and I don't hear as much of the egyptian sound that I really liked.

I do like how they've balanced out the mix though. Nothing really overpowers anything else, the guitars have a good clear tone, but the drums are still trigger happy sounding.

So far I think they sound less Nile-ish, more typical american death, which is a bummer but so far it's not bad.

edit: ok, Gods Who Light Up The Sky... is definitely the Nile I like. Took six tracks to get there though :(

edit again: They keep up the old Nile sound for the rest of the album for drat sure. Supreme Humanism Of Megalomania is loving AWESOME. (even if it's no Lashed To The Slavestick)

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 19, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm excited to hear it, but I'll be really bummed if they don't have the same Egyptian influence. That's the one thing that makes them really stand out instead of sounding like yet another generic DM band.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

The whole last half of the album is exactly what I wanted to hear. And then there's this four and a half minutes of loving nastiness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gwO2UFY35M

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Got back from Hellfest yesterday. It was one of the best festivals I've ever been to - despite the mud (thank goodness for wellies). Everyone was outstandingly friendly, and the bands sounded fantastic.

The bands I saw:

Merrimack, Belenos, Benediction, Sòlstafir, Endstille, Darkspace (!!!!), Taake, Moonsorrow (front row!), Satyricon, Oranssi Pazuzu, Necros Christos, Shining (Swe - back on form, too), Napalm Death, Enslaved, Behemoth, about three minutes of Guns 'n Roses, Aosoth, Winterfylleth, Blood Red Throne, Anaal Nathrakh, Ihsahn, Suffocation, Arcturus, Sunn O))).

Definitely going back next year.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Got back from Hellfest yesterday. It was one of the best festivals I've ever been to - despite the mud (thank goodness for wellies). Everyone was outstandingly friendly, and the bands sounded fantastic.

The bands I saw:

Merrimack, Belenos, Benediction, Sòlstafir, Endstille, Darkspace (!!!!), Taake, Moonsorrow (front row!), Satyricon, Oranssi Pazuzu, Necros Christos, Shining (Swe - back on form, too), Napalm Death, Enslaved, Behemoth, about three minutes of Guns 'n Roses, Aosoth, Winterfylleth, Blood Red Throne, Anaal Nathrakh, Ihsahn, Suffocation, Arcturus, Sunn O))).

gently caress that sounds awesome. Very jealous.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

The bands I saw:

This sounds like the best festival. Look at that goddamn lineup.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
EvilMoJoJoJo rules Hellfest rules

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
How did I have so much going on over the past year that I had no idea an Arcturus reunion was a thing :(

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

EvilMoJoJoJo rules Hellfest rules

Aw thank you :3 did we meet?

Arcturus were actually… a bit disappointing. :( Watched half their set, then scarpered to get a spot in the Valley for Sunn. Might have been them, might have been me, but something just wasn't quite working; audience reaction also seemed a bit subdued (I thought). Ah well, finally getting to see Darkspace (Darkspace!) made up for it. Ihsahn was also a bit shite - my third time seeing him and worst of the lot by a long chalk.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Trees and Squids posted:

This sounds like the best festival. Look at that goddamn lineup.

Holy gently caress for real. It looks like Hellfest has become a legitimate event.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Aw thank you :3 did we meet?

Arcturus were actually… a bit disappointing. :( Watched half their set, then scarpered to get a spot in the Valley for Sunn. Might have been them, might have been me, but something just wasn't quite working; audience reaction also seemed a bit subdued (I thought). Ah well, finally getting to see Darkspace (Darkspace!) made up for it. Ihsahn was also a bit shite - my third time seeing him and worst of the lot by a long chalk.

+1 for Arcturus being a bit disappointing, couldn't get into it at all, but then I haven't listened to them on record, so... Also I thought Ihsahn was better than he was at Bloodstock 2011, although that was mainly down to sound. Having keyboards instead of the saxophone loving sucked though.

Bands I saw:
Celeste, Merrimack, Doomriders, Belenos, Benediction, Sólstafir, Endstille, Darkspace, Taake, Nasum, Moonsorrow, Satyricon, Obituary, King Diamond, Oranssi Pazuzu, Necros Christos, Ascension, Cancer Bats, Uffomamut, Yob, Shining, Enslaved, Entombed, Napalm Death, Aosoth, Winterfylleth, Alcest, Anaal Nathrakh, Dying Fetus (a few songs), Ihsahn, Lock Up, Suffocation, Arcturus, Sunn O))).

It was a really great festival and the stages were really well staggered to minimise clashes. The only bad clashes for me were Entombed/The Devil's Blood and Behemoth/Refused (my moment of indecision meant I couldn't get in to either tent :( ). I would've liked to see Lamb of God too just for a bit of metal nostalgia because they helped me get into heavier stuff, but it was raining heavily when they were on from 1-2am and I'd left my coat in the tent! I also missed Orange Goblin because I was too tired/lazy to move from the black metal stage by that point in the day, my mistake, as I hear they were awesome.

Best 5 bands:Enslaved, King Diamond, Obituary, Nasum, Taake
Worst band: Unexpect - I watched a song or 2 at most and I could bear no more, sounded like an unorganised mess of ideas. Learn to write a song, then we'll talk. Hearing GnR butcher Another Brick in the Wall and then piss on it's remains was also a low point. Benighted's pig squeals were pretty offensive to my ears too.
Biggest surprises Shining, Kvarforth was on form, he looked angry, swigging whiskey from the bottle and spitting it out, and generally being really engaging. Their music also had more punch to it than I remembered it having. I missed half their set to get a good spot for Yob, but I really enjoyed what I saw. The other surprise hit (for me) were Sunn O))), despite being sceptical of the band's recorded outputs, their live show is truly something to behold. It was more like a sensory experience than "watching a band", as you can physically feel the vibrations, and the room (in this case a tent) is dark and filled with dry ice. It was really weird, once I became accustomed to the vibrations, my mind did wander a bit, but when they stopped playing, I realised just how powerful their sound was. I would definitely go see them again at their own show.

My only real complaints about the festival would be the lack of variety in the food stalls, at least 75% of them were exclusively kebabs, burgers or sandwiches, and quality vegetarian food was almost non-existent save for the Thai place. I'm not a vegetarian, but at UK fests I generally enjoy the vege stands more than the meat orientated ones. My other complaint would be that the sound on the death metal stage was, for the most part, loving abysmal. I think the only band which had no sound issues were Obituary. Nasum were absurdly muddy, and Napalm Death, Entombed, Lock Up, and Dying Fetus all had issues with their guitar sound at some point during their sets.

In short, I will definitely be back next year unless the lineup is exclusively power metal, nu metal and djent bands. *shudder*.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Morbid Florist posted:

The whole last half of the album is exactly what I wanted to hear. And then there's this four and a half minutes of loving nastiness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gwO2UFY35M

Holy poo poo, man. Dallas :black101:

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

I don't think these have been posted yet.

Here's a stream of the new Dying Fetus.
Reign Supreme

Next, the new Rumpelstiltskin Grinder.
Ghostmaker

Isahn's new thing.
Eremita

Last here's a full stream of Gojira's new album.
L'enfant Sauvage

A Good Username fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 20, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

New Nachtmystium too, I guess they're not really "black metal" anymore.

http://soundcloud.com/centurymediarecords/nachtmystium-borrowed-hope-and

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Phasco Redbeard posted:

Isahn's new thing.
Eremita

Ihsahn is a favorite of mine and I'm diggin' the poo poo out of this.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

Phasco Redbeard posted:

Ghostmaker

Dumb me, originally quoted being an idiot and thinking you were just posting the title track. Seems pretty cool. Goes more with the darker stuff they started last album with less thrash. Haven't listened enough to get it all and missed their release show in Philly a few days ago but it's pretty awesome on a few listens. I feel like you can tell the rhythm guitarist is the guitarist of Absu now and his past year or so with them adds into it.

Nirvana7x fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 20, 2012

RationalTangle
Jan 6, 2012
Just got back from a show at a small venue in my hometown, and a couple acts played that I thought were worthy of the thread:

First up is "Dethlehem", who call themselves an "RPG Nerd Metal" band. Oh yeah, it's corny as hell. But they were fun to watch on stage - doing things like handing out inflatable swords for a "LARP Pit" and telling really bad Dungeons and Dragons jokes - and were pretty cool guys to chill with when they weren't performing. If you like dorky fantasy metal they're worth a listen at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3C0LL2fBQc

Even better was "Of Conscience", a group comprised of some friends of mine from high school. They've got kind of a prog/death thing going on, and I'd say they're worth checking out if you're into, say, early Opeth. All around swell guys who play some pretty swell tunes. They were proud to have CDs of their first demo available at the show for free!

http://www.facebook.com/OfConscience/app_178091127385

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Phasco Redbeard posted:

I don't think these have been posted yet.

Here's a stream of the new Dying Fetus.
Reign Supreme

Ghostmaker

Isahn's new thing.
Eremita

Last here's a full stream of Gojira's new album.
L'enfant Sauvage

lordblytzkrieg posted:

New Nachtmystium too, I guess they're not really "black metal" anymore.

http://soundcloud.com/centurymediarecords/nachtmystium-borrowed-hope-and

Thanks for these links, guys. Saves me some time downloading this stuff and/or waiting for it to show up on Spotify. Listening to Ihsahn first.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

BjornOfBorg posted:

Thanks for these links, guys. Saves me some time downloading this stuff and/or waiting for it to show up on Spotify. Listening to Ihsahn first.

Ihsahn is already on Spotify (in the UK anyway) if you prefer to listen like that. (SCROBBLES!)

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

nomapple posted:

SCROBBLES!

Scrobbles indeed! Thanks for the heads-up. Dying Fetus is up on Spotify as of today, too. At least, it showed up in my What's New? window today for the first time.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

nomapple posted:

Biggest surprises Shining, Kvarforth was on form, he looked angry, swigging whiskey from the bottle and spitting it out, and generally being really engaging. Their music also had more punch to it than I remembered it having. I missed half their set to get a good spot for Yob, but I really enjoyed what I saw.

Hearing this and the addition of Euge Valovirta on guitar and Rainer Tuomikanto on drums makes me think Shining is on the verge of true greatness. I can't wait till they get all their visa issues settled and what not to do a proper US tour. Seems like every great touring opportunity they get (Behemoth, Watain, etc.) falls through for them.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Geoff Tate is out of Queensryche. http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=175707

Pretty wild. They were one of my favorite bands when I younger and I still love them, but apparently Tate went a little Axl Rose in recent years. Too bad, but La Torre has a phenomenal voice and I'm excited to hear what these guys do going forward.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

From what I remember he was always an Axl type. He wasn't even a personal fan of the music they made, it was just a job for him.

But man I did love Empire back in the day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Further to my Hellfest post above, I've just been linked to this collection of professionally shot videos (page 2) of some of the performances from the weekend. Going to settle down and watch a few of the acts I missed!