Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Crappy Jack posted:

Good to see that I'm not the only one getting crazy D2 vibes off of that.

Saejima, do you know anything about a man named Daisuki? Daisuki, do you know him Saejima? Daisuki, you must know him. Who's Daisuki? You were calling him in your sleep. Daisuki... Saejima, you have to think hard do you know a man named Daisuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

PunkBoy posted:

I hope Saejima's section brings the return of beating up deadly animals with your bare hands.
You punched a TIGER. You got 2 meats!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like how they tend to actually develop the game before spouting about it. I mean sure it won't be until the end of 2013 until we get it officially in not-Japan, but it's a nice change from a whole year and a half+ of LOOK OUT OUR GAME! WE'RE GOING TO MAKE A NEW GAME! HEAR THAT NEW GAME WE'RE GOING TO MAKE?

I'm going to assume the driving mini-game might be something like this

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

DOOOOOOOORIFTOOOOOOOOO

Andriasang posted:

We have an even larger batch of screens from Yakuza 5's "Another Drama" component thanks to an update at the game's official site.

In addition to the screens, which you can see in the gallery below, the site also provides a few added details:

The drama segments have names, like Kiryu's Taxi Driver, Soejima's Hunting and Slaughter and Haruka's Road to Becoming an Idol.

In Kiryu's Taxi Driver, in addition to facing off against the Devil Killers road gang in races, you'll be able to perform Kiryu's duties as a cab driver, transporting passengers through the streets of Fukuoka. Passengers will make various requests, like drive as safely as possible, or get to the destination as fast as possible, or "follow that car!" You'll be able to customize your cab's look and performance, and also select the music that plays in the background during races.

Just one new bit about Soejima's Hunting and Slaughter: while you're out on the hunt, you'll find that the weather changes in real time.

God drat, Nagoshi is going all out for this. If Kiryu's driving section doesn't have this song then it will have failed. Nagoshi, you worked on that game, DO IT.

Check our Taxi Drifting, Deer Murder, and Harukam@ster 2 at the links.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
If Saejima's hunting segments do not culminate in some Rambo: First Blood scenario where he hunts some yakuza assassins in the woods, well, I don't know why they bothered. :colbert:

Jesus, five city areas, illegal street racing, hunting and eating animals, and teeny-bopper idol management. I love this goddamn series.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I'm actually looking forward to Haruka's side thing the most because it seems so varied. You get to meet fans and take quizzes and go on TV to da-

Aah. :stonk:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Bocc Kob posted:

I'm actually looking forward to Haruka's side thing the most because it seems so varied. You get to meet fans and take quizzes and go on TV to da-

Is this not an accurate depiction of J-pop idols?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

She looks incredibly similar to another fictional Japanese pop star: Amami Haruka from The Idolm@ster.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Just remember that if we support this game, then Yakuza 6 will undeniably feature a plot where Haruka is kidnapped and Majima has to go undercover as a teen pop idol in order to rescue her at Kiryu's request.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I'm still holding out hope that Majima runs a competing idol company and eventually challenges Haruka to a dance-off.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Majima dresses like an Idolm@ster in that dance battle.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

Just remember that if we support this game, then Yakuza 6 will undeniably feature a plot where Haruka is kidnapped and Majima has to go undercover as a teen pop idol in order to rescue her at Kiryu's request.

Then the Yakuza team will finally get the idea that we all love Majima and they'll make a spin off series featuring Majima with his own full adventures, right? :swoon:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ryuga Death posted:

Then the Yakuza team will finally get the idea that we all love Majima and they'll make a spin off series featuring Majima with his own full adventures, right? :swoon:

Only if they make the Tanimura/Date/Sayama buddy cop game first.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Bocc Kob posted:

Really, is it all that different than when she goes to karaoke? All that will be missing is Kiryu in the background going "L-O-V-E LOVE-LY HA-RU-KA!"

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Majima runs a competing idol company and eventually challenges Haruka to a dance-off.

You participate in a training routine at Majima's alternative dance school, in which he uses a baseball launcher to punish you if you mess up once. God help you if you screw up again.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Really, is it all that different than when she goes to karaoke? All that will be missing is Kiryu in the background going "L-O-V-E LOVE-LY HA-RU-KA!"

I think the shock was less the outfit and more the intimidating interface that thing is rocking, there is what 20 buttons on screen there?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

A Sometimes Food posted:

I think the shock was less the outfit and more the intimidating interface that thing is rocking, there is what 20 buttons on screen there?
Yeah, same here. So, the buttons spiral down into the center, and you have to hit them when they get there, right? Sorta like if all the arrows in DDR converged to a single point?

Welp, guess what's going to cause my controller being snapped in half?

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 22, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

SpazmasterX posted:

But that's the best part...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

I think it depends on how fast they're going and the leniency of the scoring system. Then again, we're talking about Sega and Sega has done some... questionable things with regards to rhythm game difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2A1op8QUA&t=101s

But uh since Haruka's rhythm game looks like a re-purposed Idolmaster meets Yakuza Karaoke thing, I don't expect this to happen.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2A1op8QUA&t=101s

But uh since Haruka's rhythm game looks like a re-purposed Idolmaster meets Yakuza Karaoke thing, I don't expect this to happen.

Why yes, I do hate my fingers, thank you Sega! MGS torture sequences seem less straining than that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Level Slide posted:

I hope Majima dresses like an Idolm@ster in that dance battle.

Majima already dresses like an Idolmaster. :smug:

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

Policenaut posted:

(video tag)

What do you mean, that isn't so OHGOD WHAT THE gently caress!? I doubt they'll have Haruka's minigame THAT hard.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well at least the poor sap only had to mash one button for a given line of notes.

3D Budgie
Sep 11, 2011

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcL_AcqFFLU

I can't believe this actually happened. This is what Haruka's gameplay should be like after her stage performances and hand shake meetings.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Words simply fail me in trying to describe how awesome this is shaping up to be. Is there any particular reason they seem to have decided to create more new and varied content than the entire series so far as seen, two times over? Drift racing, hunting, idol sim, five cities? Are they trying to outdo GTA5?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
There is still no gameplay video out. :sigh: I'm guessing we'll have to wait until Tokyo Game Show to see that.

The official site updated with events spread all over Japan:
August 26 at Tokyo
September 1 at Osaka
September 2 at Nagoya
September 8 at Sapporo
September 15 at Fukuoka

I have no clue what this is all about. All of the text are in images, so no online translator help there.

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?
While Haruka's busy becoming an Idol superstar, Kazuma's been...

Giving pep talks to salarymen!

Participating in rival taxi battles!

Performing taxi heat actions!

Making the manliest taxi in the world!

More screenshots here

I wonder if each character is going to get their own special "battle" mode?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Hexempaler posted:

taxi heat actions!

As if I wasn't already sold on it already.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Yechezkel posted:

There is still no gameplay video out. :sigh: I'm guessing we'll have to wait until Tokyo Game Show to see that.

The official site updated with events spread all over Japan:
August 26 at Tokyo
September 1 at Osaka
September 2 at Nagoya
September 8 at Sapporo
September 15 at Fukuoka

I have no clue what this is all about. All of the text are in images, so no online translator help there.

I need to know more about this, as I can potentially go to the one in Tokyo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kazuma Kiryu: Taxi Driver.

The Yakuza series continues to make up for the combined failures of every other Sega franchise combined.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I demand The Offspring play while you race.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
So what do people think the chances are that Yakuza 5 actually makes it outside of Japan? When Sega announced Dead Souls for an American release I figured the franchise's future was safe, but now all this financial trouble stuff came up and now I'm worried they won't localize this one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TechnoSyndrome posted:

So what do people think the chances are that Yakuza 5 actually makes it outside of Japan? When Sega announced Dead Souls for an American release I figured the franchise's future was safe, but now all this financial trouble stuff came up and now I'm worried they won't localize this one.

If they don't localize it, after going through all the trouble to promote 3 and 4 (to mixed results, admittedly), I will go on a goddamn rampage.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Thankfully, localization for Yakuza is probably much cheaper than other games simply because no English dubbing is added.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
From what I understand, localizing Yakuza games are relatively cheap due to it not having a dub. Since the last few games sold decently enough to recoup the low localization cost, Yakuza 5 will most likely be released in English.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yakuza 5 will probably take longer and cost more money to localize due to the virtue of it actually being a new game with a lot of new content, rather than the previous game with updates.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Zettace posted:

From what I understand, localizing Yakuza games are relatively cheap due to it not having a dub. Since the last few games sold decently enough to recoup the low localization cost, Yakuza 5 will most likely be released in English.

You say this, but they actually cut out a decent chunk of content from Yakuza 3 just to save costs on not translating the text. I think just translating these games costs more than most people assume.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

TechnoSyndrome posted:

You say this, but they actually cut out a decent chunk of content from Yakuza 3 just to save costs on not translating the text. I think just translating these games costs more than most people assume.

That was part cost cutting and part "Americans are really stupid sooooo" assumption on Sega of America's part. At the time, they genuinely believed an American audience wouldn't understand or care about the removal of mahjong, shogi, or hostess clubs. When everyone threw a fit about it, it was too late to put it back so when it came time to localize Yakuza 4 they kept them due to fan demand.

Answer x Answer is cut from every localized version of Yakuza, but that's something Sega is very upfront about. It's an insanely detailed Japanese cultural trivia game with a ridiculous amount of unique assets that, according to SoA, would take months to localize. On top of that, it's not a very popular mini-game, like even the Japanese don't seem to like it very much.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
If it would get Yakuza 5 here I would go to Sega and translate the drat thing myself for literal peanuts...or maybe a couple sandwiches.

This is how much I need this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm not really worried about Yakuza 5 not being localized. I'm sure it will be, I mean we got Yakuza 3 (I know it had a ton of cut content, but we at least still got it), Yakuza 4, and Dead Souls so I'm expecting 5 to come out just fine.

• Locked thread