Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Called & that's exactly what they have. Bummer. (I want 13" + i7 + 8GB but with the 256GB drive.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Bob Morales posted:

OWC's blog is down but that's their picture

And that'll be 3 giant screens of linen if you full screen an app, right?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yes. (I've done something similar - RMBP built in screen, HDMI->DVI output, 2x mDP-DVI adapters)

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

CaptainCrunch posted:

But if you use better touch tool, it doesn't matter.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I want the ThunderBolt to Ethernet adapter to replace the USB to Ethernet adapter for my MacBook Air, but there's basically no reason for me to spend the money.

I just want to plug something into the ThunderBolt port for once. :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I just want to plug something into the ThunderBolt port for once. :(

Plug a DisplayPort monitor (or the miniDP->DVI adapter) in and pretend.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Sebb posted:

The battery on my mid-2009 MBP just started throwing up a service battery warning. I have less than a week left of AppleCare, and it's covered for a free replacement.

<3 u apple.

I had to bicker back and forth with Apple a few times to replace my battery under AppleCare. "Yeah the battery is just used up you gotta buy a new one." No asshat, your goddamn operating system says the battery needs service, not just replacement.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you were wondering like I was, the new macbook airs have the asymmetrical fans like the macbook pro retina computers. Ifixit confirmed it.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Air-13-Inch-Mid-2012-Teardown/9457/2

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
I'm having a bit of an issue trying to install an SSD into my 2009 MBP (core2duo, 4gb RAM). The install of the hardware went fine, and I created a bootable Lion USB stick and can get all the way to the install process. However, the install says its going to take 15+ hours to complete. In the installer log, it shows that its copying packages to the drive but is just taking forever. The USB stick is fine, I've tested the read/write speeds on it and it should not be taking this long.

Is it possible the HDD is bad, or is there some issue with installing from a USB stick I'm unaware of?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

pctD posted:

I'm having a bit of an issue trying to install an SSD into my 2009 MBP (core2duo, 4gb RAM). The install of the hardware went fine, and I created a bootable Lion USB stick and can get all the way to the install process. However, the install says its going to take 15+ hours to complete. In the installer log, it shows that its copying packages to the drive but is just taking forever. The USB stick is fine, I've tested the read/write speeds on it and it should not be taking this long.

Is it possible the HDD is bad, or is there some issue with installing from a USB stick I'm unaware of?

Sounds like something has gone horribly wrong. Installing Lion from a usb flash drive to a SSD shouldn't take more 20 minutes, 30 tops if your flash drive is poo poo.

Is the SSD new? Did you do anything weird like write it full of 0s in disk util?

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

Oneiros posted:

Sounds like something has gone horribly wrong. Installing Lion from a usb flash drive to a SSD shouldn't take more 20 minutes, 30 tops if your flash drive is poo poo.

Is the SSD new? Did you do anything weird like write it full of 0s in disk util?

The SSD is brand new. The only thing I did to it was format it through disk utility to whatever the default is before the install.

Edit: I tried copying a file from the mounted usb stick to the drive through terminal and it took 10 minutes to copy 22mb, even though it loads into the installer environment in ~30 secs. I'm assuming the SSD is the culprit at this point and will be returning it. It is a Crucial M4 128gb.

pctD fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 21, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

UnbornApple posted:

I had to bicker back and forth with Apple a few times to replace my battery under AppleCare. "Yeah the battery is just used up you gotta buy a new one." No asshat, your goddamn operating system says the battery needs service, not just replacement.

Does it give the service message when the battery is just flat-out worn out?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I've never owned a macbook before and I'm pretty much committed to getting myself an air for work/school. I'm looking on the website and I can't tell if I should go for a couple of upgrades, namely the 8gb of RAM, or if I can upgrade that later?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You can't upgrade it later, but I would say that unless you're doing virtualization 4GB is fine.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

You can't upgrade it later, but I would say that unless you're doing virtualization 4GB is fine.

Cool, thanks for the fast response. My other question is how big is the mac os? If I buy just the 128gb model will like 30gb be taken up by the os like it seems it is on windows?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ramadu posted:

Cool, thanks for the fast response. My other question is how big is the mac os? If I buy just the 128gb model will like 30gb be taken up by the os like it seems it is on windows?
Lion is ~8 GB, I believe. That's without iLife or iWork or anything else installed -- just Lion.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
This may be a stupid question, but since the ssds in the new Retina MBP and MB Airs are non-replaceable (at least by anyone that isn't Apple), should one be concerned with using the drives like regular hard drives? I mean, will the SSD performance degrade over time?

I guess regular browsing / downloading would be ok, but I am assuming one shouldn't be doing anything crazy with writes (such as torrenting for example) ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ars has a hands-on review of the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/hands-on-apples-thunderbolt-gigabit-ethernet-adapter/

quote:

With the Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet adapter, I now get to do that at 50 to almost 100 MBps—I got 45 to 65 MBps transferring a file from my MacBook Pro's drive to my MacBook Air's drive over the network and 100MBps transferring a file that was in the MBP's disk cache, so its slow HDD was out of the equation.

I did some additional testing with the iperf tool, which consistently showed "goodput" (actual usable data transferred) north of 900Mbps. The bad news is that CPU utilization was quite high; the kernel_task process used 37 percent CPU time during these tests, and 70 percent when transferring files through the Finder.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bonobos posted:

This may be a stupid question, but since the ssds in the new Retina MBP and MB Airs are non-replaceable (at least by anyone that isn't Apple), should one be concerned with using the drives like regular hard drives? I mean, will the SSD performance degrade over time?
It will take years and years to wear out the NAND on an SSD.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Plus NAND doesn't get slower as its write cycles get used up. It just stops working.

For typical consumer workloads, you're looking at literally a decade of heavy desktop use (downloading games, installing programs, shuffing movie files around, etc.) before a modern drive from a good manufacturer kicks the bucket.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone who ordered their MBP:R the evening of the announcement get an update on shipping before July 2-9? I've hit that point where dropping 2k on a machine that might arrive a month later is really hurting :smith:

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice
Not sure if this is a hardware or a software issue, but I've been having a problem with my Mid-2012 MBP (13") freezing a lot. The first time it was a kernel panic for sure, but the second and third times it didn't give me any message. I was doing basic music listening and web browsing - nothing out of the ordinary. I'm taking it to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I am just curious if anyone else has had this sort of issue.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lion is ~8 GB, I believe. That's without iLife or iWork or anything else installed -- just Lion.

Don't forget the 650 MB recovery partition that gets laid in by the installer.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

Plus NAND doesn't get slower as its write cycles get used up. It just stops working.

For typical consumer workloads, you're looking at literally a decade of heavy desktop use (downloading games, installing programs, shuffing movie files around, etc.) before a modern drive from a good manufacturer kicks the bucket.

I work in IT and we have clients who have used SSD on database servers since they came out and so far none have failed. These get far more stress than a consumer could ever put on their own hard drive and have been in use for ~5 years in some case.

Granted, when they fail, it is catastrophic because they just quit working flat out but every positive has a negative but I don't think a consumer will really "wear out" their ssd unless they use their computer for 10 years or went cheap.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Okay I got my MBPR refund. I'm buying a 13" MBA. Is it worth upgrading from the 1.8GHz i5 to the 2.0GHz i7?

I know it's still dual-core, but 1.8-2.8 up to 2.0-3.2 seems like an ok upgrade for $100. Any opinions/benchmarks/whatever?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

So I'm getting lackluster transfer speeds from an external drive.

G4 MDD (without FW800)
Lacie USB2+FW800 combo card using built in OS X drivers
Lacie 2.5" FW800 1TB drive formatted NTFS with some ~50GB files
Using FW800 interface

Getting around 30MB/s using rsync, cp and finder. I know this exact same drive is capable of ~70MB/s on other machines. The FW800 interface isn't bottlenecked. The PCI interface isn't. What could it be?

Either it's because of the NTFS formatting (You might be using some slow NTFS driver like Apple's) or your firewire cables might be crappy. Firewire controllers can negotiate the speed down to 100/200/400 Mbps if they think your cables are crap.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

flyboi posted:

I work in IT and we have clients who have used SSD on database servers since they came out and so far none have failed. These get far more stress than a consumer could ever put on their own hard drive and have been in use for ~5 years in some case.

Granted, when they fail, it is catastrophic because they just quit working flat out but every positive has a negative but I don't think a consumer will really "wear out" their ssd unless they use their computer for 10 years or went cheap.

SSDs also have decently reliable SMART wear data that will give you some pre-warning if they're about to fail, which a typical HDD (to the best of my knowledge anyway) can't really give you.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Factory Factory posted:

It does get slower for certain workloads. An SSD can tolerate spikes of high throughput for a period of time before it has to throttle incoming operations. The amount of time it can do so depends on how many writable blocks it has. Each bad block reduces this number.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

flyboi posted:

Yeah and most consumer electronics only has 3-5 year life before the next upgrade/replacement.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Either it's because of the NTFS formatting (You might be using some slow NTFS driver like Apple's) or your firewire cables might be crappy. Firewire controllers can negotiate the speed down to 100/200/400 Mbps if they think your cables are crap.

I'll try another set of cables and format the drive fat32 when I'm done with the current files on it.

Strangely enough I was only getting 40MB/s transferring from internal drives in the G4. Both drives are WD/500GB/7200/16mb formatted HFS+ on different ATA channels. AFAIK, the ATA channels in the G4 MDD are ATA-100.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

flyboi posted:

I've already had to replace three first generation SSD's on original MacBook Air models in the past few months, so they were just about 5 years out. One of them I was able to bring back using diglloyd's DiskTester, but the drive (a PATA Samsung) wound up failing totally a month later.

The replacement drives came from a company called RunCore and were bought by the users because Apple's replacement SSD drives for these first models were ridiculously overpriced.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Are the fans in MBA usually dead silent? I wanted to see how loud this thing got so I fully loaded it to the point at 50% battery there was a projected 30 minutes remaining and I still could not hear the fan... Compared to my 2011 MBP which sounds like a jet engine taking off or my old X200 that sounded like a never ending fart this is kind of impressive.

I'm wondering how much that has to do with the fan redesign and how much of it is just the MBA is that quiet. I did put the exhaust port up to my ear and it was making noise so it's definitely not broke.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A little from column A, a little from column B. My 2011 MBA is already much quieter than my earlier MBPs/MBs, and I'm sure the fan design in the 2012 makes it even quieter. The Air only has 1 fan to begin with.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

flyboi posted:

Are the fans in MBA usually dead silent? I wanted to see how loud this thing got so I fully loaded it to the point at 50% battery there was a projected 30 minutes remaining and I still could not hear the fan... Compared to my 2011 MBP which sounds like a jet engine taking off or my old X200 that sounded like a never ending fart this is kind of impressive.

I'm wondering how much that has to do with the fan redesign and how much of it is just the MBA is that quiet. I did put the exhaust port up to my ear and it was making noise so it's definitely not broke.

Try playing a bunch of flash videos

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

I was reindexing my email and moving it from outlook to osx mail, synchronizing files, doing a speed test with the gigabit ethernet adapter (protip: the pile of gently caress runs off the CPU and will tax the hell out of it at ~600Mbit) and playing 4 youtubes. It was pretty much crying for me to stop.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Digital Jesus posted:

Okay I got my MBPR refund. I'm buying a 13" MBA. Is it worth upgrading from the 1.8GHz i5 to the 2.0GHz i7?

I know it's still dual-core, but 1.8-2.8 up to 2.0-3.2 seems like an ok upgrade for $100. Any opinions/benchmarks/whatever?

I asked this a couple of days ago and got some good replies here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=183#post404744386

FWIW I'm doing it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Play one Flash video

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The 2012 appears to be a bigger jump than just the CPU upgrade would lead you to believe:

Much faster graphics (due to the HD4000) and it also looks like the SSD got a big boost, like the MBPR SSD.

The Ivy Bridge i5 is about even with the Sandy Bridge i7:

Worth upgrading from a 2011 Air? Probably not, unless you need the 8GB. But if you've got a 2010 Air, your mind will probably be blown when you fire up a 2012.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
I'm going from a 4 year old MBP so I'm hoping to have my mind blown tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for that chart. Very interesting! My problem now is that I realised the only difference between the bottom and top MBA13s is hard drive capacity. I don't need a hell of a lot of internal space so the cheaper model with 128GB is probably fine, so if I want to upgrade the CPU suddenly I'm looking at $465 difference (granted that also gets me double HDD).

Argh, decisions!