Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Um... wow. I'm not sure what's more surprising, either a) that he was a director and didn't know permission issues after an NTFS/CIFS move was a possibility, or b) that he was a director and was performing the move himself.

Did he not use robocopy or similar migration tool?

hope you got good backups lol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
He used robocopy. I have no idea what happened.

It's too late to revert; we're committed to the new structure. Also his title is sorta meaningless as he's really the chief sysadmin but also happens to be the director of IT. He and one other guy do essentially all of the SA work for the entire company.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Powdered Toast Man posted:

So...how hosed are we?

...we really did need more space. I expressed concerns about whether it was advisable to make this move without extensive testing. I was laughed off.

So, he did it anyway. Our entire file storage (except for databases and some other stuff like Exchange) got moved over the weekend to a Reldata appliance. This included shared network folders used by many people, as well as every user profile in the entire company (about 4,000 employees). To my great lack of surprise, the NTFS permissions on all of those folders and files (millions of them) essentially got put through a wood chipper/meat grinder/Blendtec blender/insert appropriate metaphor of destruction here. No one can get into their stuff. We can't fix it, because we don't have permissions to modify the folders. Admittedly I don't know much about how the appliance works but I'm guessing that it has its own filesystem and provides NTFS emulation of some sort. Poking around ACLs on folders I noticed "NODE-C\Administrators" which seems mighty suspicious to me. They're on the phone with Starboard right now trying to unfuck this.

We are highly reliant on centralized user profiles (everyone's path is \\fileserver\profiles\username) because the vast majority of our users are Citrix users, which means NONE OF THEIR loving APPS WORK. This has been going on for days and it still isn't fixed. I want to die.

Can you restore the data to its original location with a snapshot? What happened to the original data? Did he bother to do a full backup before the move?

If you have to restore the permissions manually, you'll need to weigh security vs. access. when you get control of the files back you can do a blanket domain users read all so at least people can get back to work, then start setting the permissions manually. We had a guy take ownership of about 2k directories and it literally took months to get it sorted.

Nomex fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 19, 2012

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
If the source is still intact, you can use a tool like SetACL to mirror the permissions from the source to your destination.

somecallmetim
Mar 30, 2004

Anyone here have any experience with Dot Hill? We have about a 20k budget for this project and have looked at EMC's offering already (VNXe3300). No room in the budget for a second SAN right now, but we do have monies for a DR project later on this year. I might be able to cut out some of the software off of the quote, but I hear it is more expensive later on.

We are looking at using it for a small SAP upgrade running on VMWare. As of now we are using VMWare (Vsphere 4.1) using local storage.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Additional details have emerged:

- I'm not sure what model Reldata this is. It's one of the ones based on Supermicro chassis with vertically mounted drives.

- It has come to light that apparently the particular appliance we have will not support the user load they are putting on it. I have no idea why they didn't figure this out BEFORE the migration.

- I'm not sure if it's being used in iSCSI target mode or NAS mode but I speculate it is the latter.

- The reason why I think that is ACLs aren't working properly. Even when permissions appear to be set correctly on a particular folder, it doesn't work the way it should. Specifically it seems to have issues with individual users, although groups tend to work ok.

Essentially at this point it appears that it is in fact impossible for them to fix it because it won't even do what they're trying to make it do. They just figured this out today, and the migration happened on 6/15. The best part? We have no other options. We don't have any other hardware we can move it to and we can't roll back either because the person responsible is too proud to admit his mistake or because he did it in such a way that rolling back is now impossible.

He actually tried to blame the helpdesk (my department) by saying that robocopy and the ACLs didn't work right because we left our computers on and had files open. Uh...that's not how file locking works. The most we would have had open is a folder window, not any actual files, and we certainly weren't locking anyone's user profile files. If I had something else to fall back on I would resign without notice tomorrow, because this is ridiculous. One person brought a $700 million company to a grinding halt.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

He used robocopy. I have no idea what happened.

It's too late to revert; we're committed to the new structure. Also his title is sorta meaningless as he's really the chief sysadmin but also happens to be the director of IT. He and one other guy do essentially all of the SA work for the entire company.

Going from a windows server to SAMBA server emulating CIFS presents challenges for robocopy. He's a complete moron if he didn't test this first before doing the cutover.

Common problems I've seen are:
- Inappropriate permissions used by the account performing the copy, leading the ability to copy files but not to modify their permissions or attributes. I've had this happen with Robocopy before and the fix in that case was (strangely) that the account performing the copy needed to be a domain administrator.
- Permissions are granted through local groups and those groups, and their members, are not created on the new device. For instance, NODE-C\Administrators sounds like the local admins group on the NAS so anyone who was a local admin on the old windows box should be on the NAS.
- Improperly set robocopy flags that strip explicitly defined permissions and only leave inherited permissions. In this case your new files inherit permissions from the root of the share which only has NODE-C\Administrators.

I've seen well paid consultants screw up these migrations by assuming automated copy tools do what you expect them to and not sanity checking the results.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

somecallmetim posted:

Anyone here have any experience with Dot Hill?

We have a MSA2000 HP SAN which is just a rebranded Dot Hill SAN. It hasn't given us really any trouble in 3 years though we are only using it as the storage for our two node MSSQL cluster, nothing fancy.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

somecallmetim posted:

Anyone here have any experience with Dot Hill? We have about a 20k budget for this project and have looked at EMC's offering already (VNXe3300). No room in the budget for a second SAN right now, but we do have monies for a DR project later on this year. I might be able to cut out some of the software off of the quote, but I hear it is more expensive later on.

We are looking at using it for a small SAP upgrade running on VMWare. As of now we are using VMWare (Vsphere 4.1) using local storage.

Dot Hill... Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Mostly because they typically OEM to folks like Sun and HP. The products are okay but won't have a lot of frills.

That said you can probably get into NetApp or EMC the same price range. You'll want to make sure you consider the replication technologies available with each vendor if you're planning to do that. Also any recovery tools you might be using (such as VMware site recovery manager, which also offers host based replication.)

I'm personally a huge advocate of SnapMirror from NetApp and RecoverPoint from EMC myself. I've worked with both products extensively for the last few years and have had nothing but glowing feedback and successes.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

somecallmetim posted:

Any reason why you looked at the 3300 and not the 3100? I found the 3100 to be a lot cheaper for very little compromise.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

NippleFloss posted:

Going from a windows server to SAMBA server emulating CIFS presents challenges for robocopy. He's a complete moron if he didn't test this first before doing the cutover.

Common problems I've seen are:
- Inappropriate permissions used by the account performing the copy, leading the ability to copy files but not to modify their permissions or attributes. I've had this happen with Robocopy before and the fix in that case was (strangely) that the account performing the copy needed to be a domain administrator.
- Permissions are granted through local groups and those groups, and their members, are not created on the new device. For instance, NODE-C\Administrators sounds like the local admins group on the NAS so anyone who was a local admin on the old windows box should be on the NAS.
- Improperly set robocopy flags that strip explicitly defined permissions and only leave inherited permissions. In this case your new files inherit permissions from the root of the share which only has NODE-C\Administrators.

I've seen well paid consultants screw up these migrations by assuming automated copy tools do what you expect them to and not sanity checking the results.

This is why you always, always do a robocopy /L /LOG:filethatensuresidontlosemyjob.txt before you do the real copy. And for the love of god, you do things section by section, department by department, with time for testing in between.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

[. One person brought a $700 million company to a grinding halt.

If what you describe is true, once there is a light at the end of the tunnel, this guy needs to be let go.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

spoon daddy posted:

If what you describe is true, once there is a light at the end of the tunnel, this guy needs to be let go.

I am amazed he has not been terminated and a consultant bought in to fix things already. Do you not have any change control procedures?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
A wild envelope from EMC appears!! (Addressed to the wrong company but with the right C/O name on it)

I wonder what's inside!

:doh:

I've been made SAN admin for our new VNXe330 and VNX5300. So far I've not been impressed with the product at all. The VNXe3300 seems to be pretty glitchy. I haven't had a chance to play with the VNX5300 too much yet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Goon Matchmaker posted:

A wild envelope from EMC appears!! (Addressed to the wrong company but with the right C/O name on it)

I've been made SAN admin for our new VNXe330 and VNX5300. So far I've not been impressed with the product at all. The VNXe3300 seems to be pretty glitchy. I haven't had a chance to play with the VNX5300 too much yet.

Yeah, awesome! Thanks for snail mailing me some poo poo you could have easily emailed. The largest storage and virtualization company in the world. I will say, Polycom does the same thing.

Also, on the 5300... have fun with that. Been struggling with 2 of them over the past 6 months or so. I hear the VNXe line is supposed to be "easier" to implement / manage.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Actually he did (sort of) test it Friday night by having us check permissions on the copy and there were problems. He thought he had them fixed and went merrily on his way. It is of note that he said, and I quote, "This really scares me."

He won't be fired. He's been at the company since it was formed in 2004 and he's only in his position as a result of nepotism.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
For a $700 million company, two sysadmins seems a pretty small number.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

paperchaseguy posted:

For a $700 million company, two sysadmins seems a pretty small number.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR. They're trying to hire another. No luck so far. I wonder why? :v:

I asked in a completely neutral way if the Reldata appliance we have could also be used as an iSCSI target, and wouldn't that take SMB/CIFS out of the equation?

He responded by saying, well, it's a SAN with a built-in NAS head. He doesn't even know how the loving thing works. :stare:

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh
edit: doh, wrong NAS thread

evilmonkeh fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 20, 2012

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Additional details have emerged:

- I'm not sure what model Reldata this is. It's one of the ones based on Supermicro chassis with vertically mounted drives.

- It has come to light that apparently the particular appliance we have will not support the user load they are putting on it. I have no idea why they didn't figure this out BEFORE the migration.

- I'm not sure if it's being used in iSCSI target mode or NAS mode but I speculate it is the latter.

- The reason why I think that is ACLs aren't working properly. Even when permissions appear to be set correctly on a particular folder, it doesn't work the way it should. Specifically it seems to have issues with individual users, although groups tend to work ok.

Essentially at this point it appears that it is in fact impossible for them to fix it because it won't even do what they're trying to make it do. They just figured this out today, and the migration happened on 6/15. The best part? We have no other options. We don't have any other hardware we can move it to and we can't roll back either because the person responsible is too proud to admit his mistake or because he did it in such a way that rolling back is now impossible.

He actually tried to blame the helpdesk (my department) by saying that robocopy and the ACLs didn't work right because we left our computers on and had files open. Uh...that's not how file locking works. The most we would have had open is a folder window, not any actual files, and we certainly weren't locking anyone's user profile files. If I had something else to fall back on I would resign without notice tomorrow, because this is ridiculous. One person brought a $700 million company to a grinding halt.

I wouldn't say it was one guy who brought the company to a halt. Sure, he may have been the trigger, but it sounds like your company has a glaring lack of project and change management. A move like he did should've been validated, tested and rolled out in segments, with controls along the way to make sure poo poo worked. If that guy is going to remain employed, you need to distance yourself from that company, lest your career gets jeopardized due to stupidity beyond your control.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It sounds like a lot of other companies these days, honestly. Staff and budgets are cut to the point where you have no other choice but to fly by the seat of your pants. 2 sysadmins with 5,000 users in a company with 700m annually? Sounds like they are probably overworked like hell. First to go is the change management, then the documentation, then the testing, the day-to-day maintenance... It gets to the point where the only things you have time to do is put out fires and try to ram some improvements through, so you don't accrue so much technical debt that you'll never climb out of it.

Then again, if he is the Director of IT then it is pretty much his priority #1 to make sure that the IT staff have the resources they need to do their job properly, and not half-assed. Of course, not a whole lot of IT Management realize this.

Again, the guy is an idiot, but I can't be the only one who has experienced this type of thing first hand.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

NippleFloss posted:

StorageTek uses SUN Common Array Management, which is also pretty bad. CAM also includes a cli that is also pretty goofy, but is better than CAM.

That covers all of the equipment I've worked with except for an old IBM DS4000 series FAStT, years ago, which used the generically named Storage Manager and which I remember very little about except that it was easy to understand and pretty unremarkable.

God, CAM is liquid dog poo poo; Thankfully, our last Sun array is rolling out the door in a few weeks. If the DS4000 used the same rebadged LSI/Engenio software as some of the other LSI resellers, it was pretty inoffensive.

in a well actually fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 25, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

theclaw posted:

If the DS4000 used the same rebadged LSI/Engenio software as some of the other LSI resellers, it was pretty inoffensive.
It's really pretty nice to work with, but then, it's difficult to gently caress up management software for a SAN that has basically no features whatsoever. Performance management on that thing was a piece of poo poo -- if you want metrics, you'd better parse out the output of the CLI and dump it into rrdtool or Graphite or something.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Internet Explorer posted:

It sounds like a lot of other companies these days, honestly. Staff and budgets are cut to the point where you have no other choice but to fly by the seat of your pants. 2 sysadmins with 5,000 users in a company with 700m annually? Sounds like they are probably overworked like hell. First to go is the change management, then the documentation, then the testing, the day-to-day maintenance... It gets to the point where the only things you have time to do is put out fires and try to ram some improvements through, so you don't accrue so much technical debt that you'll never climb out of it.

Then again, if he is the Director of IT then it is pretty much his priority #1 to make sure that the IT staff have the resources they need to do their job properly, and not half-assed. Of course, not a whole lot of IT Management realize this.

Again, the guy is an idiot, but I can't be the only one who has experienced this type of thing first hand.

You just described exactly how the IT department here runs. Another awesome example: last year, they needed to upgrade their Exchange infrastructure but didn't have the skills to do it. So they paid Dell something like $300,000 for hardware and consulting and Dell set up Exchange 2010 for them.

There is absolutely no documentation on what they did. It only exists in the senior sysadmin's head.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
That's pretty inexcusable for anywhere but a startup. And they could have (should have) paid Dell to give them documentation for a small amount extra.

Obviously they're woefully understaffed on top of questionably competent. Where are the adults?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
EMC VNC 5300 installation pain report:

OH GOD IT BURNS :kraken:

EMC shipped us the wrong disk configuration. 600GB drives in the reserved DPE slots instead of 300GB drives like we asked for as well as a extra 1TB drive that should have been a 600GB SAS drive.

They also lied about 10GBe port aggregation.

My boss is pissed. I'm confused as poo poo.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IT Vendor lied. Status: Shocked.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

paperchaseguy posted:

That's pretty inexcusable for anywhere but a startup. And they could have (should have) paid Dell to give them documentation for a small amount extra.

Obviously they're woefully understaffed on top of questionably competent. Where are the adults?

COO just came over and asked what the flying gently caress is going on. He kinda got the brushoff. So.

YOTJ, etc.

Also, why is it I can't find any Reldata hardware for sale anywhere? And why is it so hard to find documentation? Is Starboard trying to pretend Reldata never existed? :stare:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

skipdogg posted:

IT Vendor lied. Status: Shocked.
They're supposed to leave that to the consultants.

Also, why is it I can't find any Reldata hardware for sale anywhere? And why is it so hard to find documentation? Is Starboard trying to pretend Reldata never existed? :stare:
I still can't believe you don't have the original copy location. Or a day-old backup. Or *anything*

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 20, 2012

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

COO just came over and asked what the flying gently caress is going on. He kinda got the brushoff. So.

YOTJ, etc.

This is part of your problem. Your company needs to spend some of that $700m a year on storage from an actual top tier storage vendor. When you go with a well known and widely used vendor you'll get much better support and have a broad community of users to go to with questions. Given the size and number of employees you're well above the SMB market that RelData was targeting. The saying "no one has ever gotten fired for buying IBM" is as true as ever (though you can easily replace IBM with any number of tier one storage providers).

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

NippleFloss posted:

This is part of your problem. Your company needs to spend some of that $700m a year on storage from an actual top tier storage vendor. When you go with a well known and widely used vendor you'll get much better support and have a broad community of users to go to with questions. Given the size and number of employees you're well above the SMB market that RelData was targeting. The saying "no one has ever gotten fired for buying IBM" is as true as ever (though you can easily replace IBM with any number of tier one storage providers).

It's no coincidence that IBM sells NetApp. :smug:

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Uh...yeah, about that. We actually have a Netapp FAS3420 with two shelves. It's being used for our "really" mission critical stuff, but originally that stuff was on Reldata hardware as well.

Is the FAS3420 supposed to sound like a jet taking off all the time, by the way?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Uh...yeah, about that. We actually have a Netapp FAS3420 with two shelves. It's being used for our "really" mission critical stuff, but originally that stuff was on Reldata hardware as well.

Is the FAS3420 supposed to sound like a jet taking off all the time, by the way?

Depends on cooling but in general, they aren't quiet.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

evil_bunnY posted:

I still can't believe you don't have the original copy location. Or a day-old backup. Or *anything*

This is where I'm at. I can't believe anyone would do something like this without an easily restorable verified backup and a rollback plan. If I didn't feel bad for PTM, I would call troll post.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

skipdogg posted:

This is where I'm at. I can't believe anyone would do something like this without an easily restorable verified backup and a rollback plan. If I didn't feel bad for PTM, I would call troll post.
I've seen enough stupid poo poo done by sysadmins or people who think they are sysadmins to know that this is totally a thing that could happen.

"Copy completed, data appears to be there, time to free up space that we need right now"!

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

so... there are no adults?

skipdogg posted:

Oh I believe it. It's far from the dumbest thing I've heard an ostensibly experienced IT professional do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

I've seen enough stupid poo poo done by sysadmins or people who think they are sysadmins to know that this is totally a thing that could happen.

"Copy completed, data appears to be there, time to free up space that we need right now"!
Don't you work for the military though?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thought we worked for either NetApp or a NetApp Var... Maybe that was someone else.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Thought we worked for either NetApp or a NetApp Var... Maybe that was someone else.

I work for NetApp as an on-site professional services engineer with a DOD customer. Prior to that I worked for that customer as thier Storage and Backup lead.

I've also worked as a consultant and as a sysadmin in the private sector.

I can say that in my experience many admins have terrible organizational and planning skills. Thinks like change management, project planning, an failback plans are foreign concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

NippleFloss posted:

I can say that in my experience many admins have terrible organizational and planning skills. Thinks like change management, project planning, an failback plans are foreign concepts.

Which really, in my opinion, is not so much the fault of the admin and more the fault of management. It is their responsibility to make sure procedures are in place to enforce these types of things.