Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've heard this lately. What exactly do you mean by better? I tried watching TNA around Jan or Feb, and was confused by various convoluted storylines. I finally turned it off after seeing Sting repeatedly falling down while walking down the aisle (I found out later it was his Joker gimmick).

Conversely, I happened to stumble across the ROH tv show a few weeks ago during the day, and while it looked like the production was straight out of high school A/V, the action in the ring was loving AWESOME.

If anything, the ROH stuff reminded me of old WCW. The action was very physical with a more "real" style, and the production was poo poo.

You are in luck there is an ippv this week and there is a 15% chance that you will be able to see it!!

The 15% might be a bit high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

I've heard this lately. What exactly do you mean by better? I tried watching TNA around Jan or Feb, and was confused by various convoluted storylines. I finally turned it off after seeing Sting repeatedly falling down while walking down the aisle (I found out later it was his Joker gimmick).

Conversely, I happened to stumble across the ROH tv show a few weeks ago during the day, and while it looked like the production was straight out of high school A/V, the action in the ring was loving AWESOME.

If anything, the ROH stuff reminded me of old WCW. The action was very physical with a more "real" style, and the production was poo poo.

They mean it's improved like, within the last two months. I do find some of the comments to be exaggerated though. It's not miles better than WWE, it just actually makes some sense now. It still needs a lot of work, but it's watchable now and it certainly wasn't even just a few months ago. I'd say give it a shot because they seem to actually be trying now. It's also live for the summer, and that helps quite a bit too.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

bobkatt013 posted:

So was HBK but hwo can you forget this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skeyqz2V4uc

Man, how can you forget the Macho Man's finest moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7E57M17Ps8

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
Sorry, Savage's finest moment involves Stephanie McMahon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Really? There are still dum-dums who believe that?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So what happened with Macho Man and Vince? Yes, I've heard the Stephanie rumor, but with El Gallinero Gros snapping like that, I'm assuming it's been debunked?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

So what happened with Macho Man and Vince? Yes, I've heard the Stephanie rumor, but with El Gallinero Gros snapping like that, I'm assuming it's been debunked?

Timeline just doesn't make sense. ~~~No one truly knows~~~

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Only Vince and Macho Man know.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not only does the timeline not match up, do you think Vince McMahon, the most vindictive man in wrestling history, the Prime Minister of the Insolvent Republic of Vindictivstan, would do a 3 1/2 minute tribute to a guy who raped his daughter after he died? No. He also probably wouldn't write a tribute to him in I wanna say Time Magazine, or say goodbye upon Randy's departure of the company (to Vince's hated competitor, I might add)in a classy manner on TV.

There's also the legal aspect of it (why wouldn't Vince have him arrested or at the very least, investigated?), and I'm pretty sure Randy would have been blackballed altogether once the story got out. Granted, there are lots of sleazy assholes in the business, but this is one of the sleaziest things I can think of to do to another human being outside of killing them. And it's purported to have been done to the daughter of the most powerful man in the business? The gently caress outta here.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
iiiii dunno, I still think he did it. All the pieces fit.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Whatever blowup between Vince and Savage happened between about 1998 and 2001, IIRC. That doesn't mean that the incident that caused the blowup happened then.

Something very serious and personal did happen, because Vince will do business with anyone that will make him a buck, even people that hosed him over, and Savage wasn't even a consideration. Whether that was something with Stephanie or something entirely different, well, we'll probably find out eventually, I guess.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If the Macho and Stephanie rumor was true, I find it difficult to believe they'd let their #2 face do his elbow drop in an obvious tribute.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Thauros posted:

If the Macho and Stephanie rumor was true, I find it difficult to believe they'd let their #2 face do his elbow drop in an obvious tribute.

On the other hand, Punk has a lot of latitude and the announcers never acknowledge that it's a Savage tribute, to the point of ignoring loud chants for Savage the first few times he did it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

On the other hand, Punk has a lot of latitude and the announcers never acknowledge that it's a Savage tribute, to the point of ignoring loud chants for Savage the first few times he did it.

That's a good point, but it still seems to me like Punk's elbow would go over as well as a throat slash followed by a diving headbutt if he had sex with a fourteen year old Stephanie.

Also, didn't Vince write a rather nice tribute to him in Time magazine? I could see Vince perhaps feeling obligated to have a short on air tribute given the circumstances, but why write a article on him if he truly hated him on a personal level?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Thauros posted:

That's a good point, but it still seems to me like Punk's elbow would go over as well as a throat slash followed by a diving headbutt if he had sex with a fourteen year old Stephanie.

Also, didn't Vince write a rather nice tribute to him in Time magazine? I could see Vince perhaps feeling obligated to have a short on air tribute given the circumstances, but why write a article on him if he truly hated him on a personal level?

When would Vince McMahon ever turn down a chance to have his name in a national publication?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Maybe it's one of those things where, if you take the first letter from each sentence, it spells out SAVAGE hosed MY DAUGHTER AND I WILL HATE HIM FOREVER, ROT IN HELL.

Or something like that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeffersonlives posted:

Whatever blowup between Vince and Savage happened between about 1998 and 2001, IIRC. That doesn't mean that the incident that caused the blowup happened then.
Let's break this down. Vince McMahon is absolutely motivated by his broken childhood. It informs nearly every decision he makes. Savage and Elizabeth split again in 1998, I believe. McMahon had an abusive step-father who hit his mother whom he's confessed to wishing he'd murdered. Savage is long-rumored to have been abusive to Liz. Isn't it far more likely that McMahon had no interest in further lining the pockets of somebody who now reminded him of his step-father than there being some well-kept secret that Savage raped his daughter?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Thauros posted:

On the other hand, the crossface and diving headbutt have both reappeared, which honestly I never thought I'd see again in a WWE ring after the Benoit tragedy.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Let's break this down. Vince McMahon is absolutely motivated by his broken childhood. It informs nearly every decision he makes. Savage and Elizabeth split again in 1998, I believe. McMahon had an abusive step-father who hit his mother whom he's confessed to wishing he'd murdered. Savage is long-rumored to have been abusive to Liz. Isn't it far more likely that McMahon had no interest in further lining the pockets of somebody who now reminded him of his step-father than there being some well-kept secret that Savage raped his daughter?

Savage and Elizabeth split in 1992 and never reconciled personally, although they did wrestling angles together through about 2000.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeffersonlives posted:

Savage and Elizabeth split in 1992 and never reconciled personally, although they did wrestling angles together through about 2000.
Huh. Learn something new every day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Yet his biggest star at the time was abusive towards his wife and Vince made a shitload of money off him before and after he got arrested.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
This is why I love the Vince/Savage mystery, there are so many possible explanations but also so many ways to shoot each of them down.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

triplexpac posted:

This is why I love the Vince/Savage mystery, there are so many possible explanations but also so many ways to shoot each of them down.

If it is anything it was a buisness deal gone bad.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

bobkatt013 posted:

If it is anything it was a buisness deal gone bad.

That almost seems like the least likely situation though, because Vince has shown that he'll forgive pretty much anyone when it comes down to business.

Unless, maybe the WBF and XFL were both Savage's pet projects?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

On the other hand, the crossface and diving headbutt have both reappeared, which honestly I never thought I'd see again in a WWE ring after the Benoit tragedy.

I always thought those moves would return with some guys, but never one dude's moveset. I guess the mentality there is just to re-establish the moves/combo as someone else's signature, not Benoit's.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

triplexpac posted:

That almost seems like the least likely situation though, because Vince has shown that he'll forgive pretty much anyone when it comes down to business.

Who has hurt him in the pocket that he has forgiven? He has forgiven almost everybody for any other types of gently caress up so buisness seems the most likely.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Who has hurt him in the pocket that he has forgiven? He has forgiven almost everybody for any other types of gently caress up so buisness seems the most likely.

Brock Lesnar and Jesse Ventura are both guys that have sued Vince and won, and he's brought them back.

Edit: And there's Eric Bischoff who tried to put him out of business.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

drat you beat me to it

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Grant DaNasty posted:

Brock Lesnar and Jesse Ventura are both guys that have sued Vince and won, and he's brought them back.

Edit: And there's Eric Bischoff who tried to put him out of business.

He could see a lot of cash when it came to Eric since he was the one to put him out of business, and Ventura and Brock came back due to their mainstream appeal. Then with Linda he was trying to get a senate seat

Then again it could be something as simple as Randy saying that he would not return unless Vince hired his entire family.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 20, 2012

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Ultimate Warrior tried to hold Vince up for money and was fired, got brought back, then got fired again over drugs and money, then got brought back again, then got fired again for no showing over money, and they've been intermittently trying to bring him back ever since.

The only known guy of note Vince has actively refused to do business with other than Savage is Jeff Jarrett, and there was no money in Jeff Jarrett.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

El Gallinero Gros posted:

...would do a 3 1/2 minute tribute to a guy who raped his daughter after he died?
Zombie rape is the worst rape.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

triplexpac posted:

I posted this theory before but try to think of it this way. Vince give (who he considers) his good friend a cushiony color commentator gig with the idea that it's a job for life ala Gorilla Monsoon. And how does Randy repay him for that kindness? BY SPITTING HIS GODDAMN FACE AND GOING OVER TO THE COMPETITION!

Vince forgives others but only when they fall completely on their face and come back to him on their hands and knees. Randy Savage never had that moment due to saving his money and realizing that enough was enough (I remember reading that he quit his TNA gig out of nowhere because he dreaded going out in front of the crowd when he knew he wasn't giving them his best)

So, it's probably more of a respect thing than a money or business issue.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sporadic posted:

I posted this theory before but try to think of it this way. Vince give (who he considers) his good friend a cushiony color commentator gig with the idea that it's a job for life ala Gorilla Monsoon. And how does Randy repay him for that kindness? BY SPITTING HIS GODDAMN FACE AND GOING OVER TO THE COMPETITION!

Vince forgives others but only when they fall completely on their face and come back to him on their hands and knees. Randy Savage never had that moment due to saving his money and realizing that enough was enough (I remember reading that he quit his TNA gig out of nowhere because he dreaded going out in front of the crowd when he knew he wasn't giving them his best)

So, it's probably more of a respect thing than a money or business issue.

Vince was trying to hire him in 98 when he was on top in WCW so yeah, it's not that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MassRayPer posted:

Vince was trying to hire him in 98 when he was on top in WCW so yeah, it's not that.

I never heard that one before. Do you think that could have been because of the Monday Night Wars? 1998 was when the WWF was still behind, wasn't it?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sporadic posted:

I never heard that one before. Do you think that could have been because of the Monday Night Wars? 1998 was when the WWF was still behind, wasn't it?

spring of 1998 was when WWF started to gain a steady lead over Nitro in the ratings.

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
Maybe it's too much of a romantic comedy plot, but it seemed to me like two proud and business-savvy (as much as it gets in pro wrestling) people that never got over waiting for the other one to call first.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If Randy Savage had raped Stephanie then Vince McMahon would have had him murdered.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Jerusalem posted:

If Randy Savage had raped Stephanie then Vince McMahon would have had him murdered.

Well one of these men is alive and the other is not. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Jerusalem posted:

Vince McMahon is Batiatus. If he was the one running for Senate, it'd be even funnier.