Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

univbee posted:

All hail the deluge!

Noticed something weird with the Japanese in Rainbow Islands, in that they refer to "えーぼたん" (eh-botan) and "びーぼたん" (bii-botan) in the game text to refer to "A Button" and "B Button". Is this something just this game did, or is it a common-ish thing in old games?

Maybe cutting out katakana saved some space for more game or something? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I loved that imaginary controller that was shown in the Wrecking Crew episode. I could probably create a simulation for the PC. Would need links to a bunch of retro video game sound effects.

For those who love LCD game handhelds, I found a great site to play a lot of them. A friend tweeted it. A lot of Game & Watch games on the site and some other LCD handhelds.

http://www.pica-pic.com/#/

joek0 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 20, 2012

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

makere posted:

He played the expert levels on the live challenge.

That would explain things, thanks.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

In case anyone's wondering about that imaginary controller. Bandai used to sell them for like 800 yen a few years ago, albeit without the cool GCCX case. If you're interested, they come in Street Fighter 2, Xevious, and Family Stadium flavors. Searching for "mousou controller" on auction sites might turn out something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GT6BwQqazY

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

univbee posted:

All hail the deluge!

Noticed something weird with the Japanese in Rainbow Islands, in that they refer to "えーぼたん" (eh-botan) and "びーぼたん" (bii-botan) in the game text to refer to "A Button" and "B Button". Is this something just this game did, or is it a common-ish thing in old games?

Some games did, some didn't. It's a stylistic choice than anything. Who the hell knows why they went with it in Rainbow, but oftentimes you'll see it in games set in ancient Japan and the like because it's, uh, "old."

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
You guys are really genuinely some of my most favorite people. I don't even mean that as internet hyperbole, I have a lot of admiration for the hard work you all put in just so everyone can watch this great show for free. Seriously, thanks you guys!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
That was another great episode, SAGCCX! I actually remember watching the raw of it, so it was nice to see it translated. Also, Watanabe's contribution to that episode was a lot better than I expected (and until now, I never knew the song she sang had the same tune as Last Continue).

Also, I now want to track down a copy of Wrecking Crew and see if I can beat it (probably not, but whatever). The only problem is that the carts don't go for $5 like common carts go for, so I'm gonna have to wait on that one. :(

Again, thank you guys for your awesome work as always. :)

vkeios posted:

In case anyone's wondering about that imaginary controller. Bandai used to sell them for like 800 yen a few years ago, albeit without the cool GCCX case. If you're interested, they come in Street Fighter 2, Xevious, and Family Stadium flavors. Searching for "mousou controller" on auction sites might turn out something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GT6BwQqazY
I want one of those so bad. ThinkGeek used to have a little joystick (it might've been a keychain like the Imaginary Controller) that was similar where you would press buttons and move the stick to do Street Fighter 4 character moves, but it looks like they discontinued it. I think the controller is way cooler though, but that's because I play all my fighting games with gamepads. I know most hardcore fighting game players use joysticks, but I grew up playing SF2 with my brother on the SNES, so I'm sticking with what I know. :shobon:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
A fireball! This wasn't part of the plan!! :derp:

I love Puzzle Chief so much.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
IT'S BLACK KIRBY! made me laugh way too hard and now I almost feel bad about it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

rdbbb posted:

Some games did, some didn't. It's a stylistic choice than anything. Who the hell knows why they went with it in Rainbow, but oftentimes you'll see it in games set in ancient Japan and the like because it's, uh, "old."

Ahh, this makes a hell of a lot of sense. Thank you for that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

:siren: Game Center CX Deluge Day 4 :siren:

And now for something completely different. A man traveling to Osaka.

Something that some of you may not realize is that while Wrecking Crew may have been numbered as episode 100 of Game Center CX it was actually the 110th episode. The first season of Game Center CX was a completely different show and after it ran its course of a ten episode season and one special they ended the series, completely retooled it to the format that we know and love, and relaunched it with a new first episode.

Originally most of the episode would focus on interviews with Japanese creators and each episode would connect to a particular company or game series. TV Nihon stripped out just the challenge segments when they went through season one. This is not just the challenge segment.

This is episode 3 or season 1 which got stuck with the designation M03 (for mini-challenge). Arino goes to Capcom's HQ and talks to the producers of Megaman, Resident Evil, and Phoenix Wright before he takes Steel Battalion out for a test drive.

This took a herculean effort to complete on the part of zari-gani. The interview episodes are really complex things. In addition you'll notice that the timing of subtitles is going to seem strange; sometimes the creators conveyed some very simple concepts in a lot of words and stretched out those sentences and other times somethings were thrown out extremely quickly. So you'll see bits that are faster than I'd like followed by bits that are slower.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 484.12 MB)
View torrent stats

(Direct Download)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This looks really interesting. I have all the TV-Nihon minis so the could be neat to watch. Thanks.

Any ideas to do any of the other original 10 episodes?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vlaphor posted:

This looks really interesting. I have all the TV-Nihon minis so the could be neat to watch. Thanks.

Any ideas to do any of the other original 10 episodes?

This one was pretty rough on us given the nature of the episode. Doing other episodes hasn't been counted out but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

For example, is there anyone on this planet other than me that's interested in the Momotaro Dentetsu (aka Peachboy Train) games? Interested enough to watch an hour (or at least thirty minutes) of interviews with the series creator?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Random Stranger posted:

This one was pretty rough on us given the nature of the episode. Doing other episodes hasn't been counted out but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

For example, is there anyone on this planet other than me that's interested in the Momotaro Dentetsu (aka Peachboy Train) games? Interested enough to watch an hour (or at least thirty minutes) of interviews with the series creator?

Actually, yes... now that you've brought it up that's something I'd really want to see.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Random Stranger posted:

I've seen a lot of advertising for those games, but still don't really know what they are. I'm guessing they're not train sims and more like a board game?

To be honest if it ain't a train sim, I'm not interested. :colbert:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This deluge is the stuff of enchantment and wonder---truly we live in interesting times indeed!

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I totally thought we were done yesterday, this is way more exciting than I thought it would be. I don't expect the rest of this season anytime soon but interviews with game creators by Arino is so cool, I would eat up any of the rest of the season. Especially for games I've no idea about, I'd like to hear 30 minutes about what goes into making a game I have completely no clue on the mechanics of or basic game premise/goal.

Either way, it is astounding the amount of effort you all put into translating and timing these, thank you so much.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Season zero Game Center CX episodes are now officially harder to translate than quiz episodes :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I totally thought we were done yesterday, this is way more exciting than I thought it would be.

We're not finished. This has only just begun!

zari-gani posted:

Season zero Game Center CX episodes are now officially harder to translate than quiz episodes :(

Quiz episodes were still tougher on the timing side of things given the sheer number of overlays and how often they switch but this was much worse than a normal episode. I can see the translation challenges; the interview subjects are not well suited for television interviews.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

We're not finished. This has only just begun!

Quiz episodes were still tougher on the timing side of things given the sheer number of overlays and how often they switch but this was much worse than a normal episode. I can see the translation challenges; the interview subjects are not well suited for television interviews.

Just thinking on it now, It's amazing how much translation you guys have done.

It's 100 episodes yes, but that's also nearly an hour each. Most anime actually only have about 18 minutes or less you need to translate.

So you guys have done the same amount of work as it has probably taken to translate over half of the 552 currently existing One Piece episodes. Or all this translation effort is the equivalent of translating ten entire different season/series of an 24 episode anime/tv show.

Amazing.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
Been watching GCCX for awhile now. I haven't been interested in anything television for years til Arino came into my life.

so yeah just wanted to thank Random Stranger, Zari-Gani and everyone else I might be leaving out!

Arigato gozaimasu

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Chwyldro Dawnsio Dawns

PkerUNO posted:

I've seen a lot of advertising for those games, but still don't really know what they are. I'm guessing they're not train sims and more like a board game?

To be honest if it ain't a train sim, I'm not interested. :colbert:

Momotaro Densetsu is a Famicom RPG loosely based on a Japanese folklore character (Imagine Ganbare Goemon if it was a Dragon Quest clone).

Momotaro Dentetsu is a spin-off title, which takes the exhagerated characterisations of the Momotaro characters from the RPG, and places them in a Game Of Life clone (for some reason, "Game Of Life Clone" was a popular and legitimate Famicom game genre).

It's Game Of Life, with some Monopoly property-trading elements, starring a cast of characters from some niche Hudson RPG you've never hear... I guess it's 8-bit Itadaki Street?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

So is it just the sheer amount of talking that does it?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
As a fan of Capcom's games, this episode is my favorite of season 1. I watched the raw of the interview with Keiji Inafune a few times because I love his work in the industry. Also, Arino has played many Capcom games on the show. I loved the episodes where he challenged a Capcom game as it turns out to be great material. Can't wait to see the Rockman 5 episode soon.

List of Capcom games Arino has challenged:
Steel Batallion
Ghosts N' Goblins
Megaman 1-4
Final Fight
Ghouls N' Ghosts
Street Fighter II
Gargoyle's Quest II
Adventure Quiz: Capcom World
Ninja Hanamaru

Can't wait for the Fukuoka episode. This is a great non game episode.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 21, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

So is it just the sheer amount of talking that does it?

Japanese being such a vague language at times, knowing the context is super crucial when translating, so I have to fact-check nearly everything which slows things down a lot. That includes having to make sure I have all the official localizations correct.

But mostly it's how they talk. Whenever the interview subjects talk in stilted ways, it's hard to make things flow right. Also there's lots of mumbling and talking over each other, and despite that, subtitles seldom appear. Even the narrator talks faster than he does now.

ETA: Aaaaand I found two or three minor mistranslations already. Nothing major, but still, no matter how small it's super frustrating catching these mistakes after combing through the whole ep so many times. :( Season zero...!!!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 21, 2012

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
You guys are running out of episodes. I'll enjoy this latest deluge fix while I still can. :tinfoil:

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
haha the short bit about Biohazard 1.5 was interesting. I wasn't aware of Leon's original name. I wonder if the US RE1.5 fans know this info?

Just seeing that book makes you go "aaaah whats inside?"

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
It's funny seeing the advert for Monster Hunter 1, knowing just what a phenomenon it became.

Also, Capcom published GTA3 in Japan? :pwn:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Emalde posted:

It's funny seeing the advert for Monster Hunter 1, knowing just what a phenomenon it became.

Square publishes the Call of Duty games!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Zackcat posted:

haha the short bit about Biohazard 1.5 was interesting. I wasn't aware of Leon's original name. I wonder if the US RE1.5 fans know this info?

I was wondering that myself. I Googled around to make sure I was hearing the name right but I couldn't find anything on proto-Leon's name.

Interesting to note is this is SAGCCX's first time subbing something that has been subbed before, as TV-Nihon did the Steel Battalion bit years ago.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
Ohhh, been wanting to see a whole translated season 0 episode for ages. Thanks for this. Really looking forward to it. That, and paired with a game I <3 Nice.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Very interesting episode. I liked it, but I can see why you haven't done more of them, and also why the show changed format.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

zari, when you received the official script translations, did you find anything you guys totally misheard?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

zrrgin posted:

zari, when you received the official script translations, did you find anything you guys totally misheard?

Off the top of my head I can only think of one instance -- at the end of 53 Stations, there was one line I couldn't decipher, so I guessed the best I could and wrote "I enjoyed a nice nap afterward." After the transcripts I found out it was "I've never felt more accomplished."

Asides from that, not really. 53 Stations and SOS were the only ones I had done. Any differences between the SAGCCX subs and the DVD subs will be due to me refining some lines. The DVD translations for Clock Tower and Ninja Gaiden 2 will be very different because the SAGCCX versions for those were done by ShinYaguchi, not me.

I did, however, find mistakes in the transcripts themselves! Some episodes way more than others (they were most likely transcribed by different people).

ETA: I keep forgetting about Mighty Bomb Jack Live.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 21, 2012

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Holy hell, I never thought I'd get to see the Season 0 episodes! I've always wanted to see the interviews that were stripped out. Thank you guys so much!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Really enjoyed the Wrecking Crew episode. The fact that it was 100 unique levels and took 27 hours yet had no ending at all was a kick in the gut. Also, "Black Kirby" was both the meanest and funniest thing ever said on the show.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 21, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Lifespan posted:

Really enjoyed the Wrecking Crew episode. The fact that it was 100 unique levels and took 27 hours yet had no ending at all was a kick in the gut. Also, "Black Kirby" was both the meanest the funniest thing ever said on the show.

You're not supposed to beat that game in one shot. It was a collection of puzzles, and you could do them in any order.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Emalde posted:

I remember hearing how Red Dead Revolver was originally being made by Capcom, but it got dropped and they eventually sold the name and rights to Rock Star for pretty cheap. As a thank you Rock Star let them publish San Andreas to Japan, and it was actually the best selling game of the month it came out.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

I swear this image has been used already...

Either way, what a torrential downpour of great news! So many episodes! Thanks again and again and again, Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I remember hearing how Red Dead Revolver was originally being made by Capcom, but it got dropped and they eventually sold the name and rights to Rock Star for pretty cheap. As a thank you Rock Star let them publish San Andreas to Japan, and it was actually the best selling game of the month it came out.

Makes me wonder how/if they translated "Youse a busta, busta!" type lines. :v: