Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Would there be any gain in speed if I reinstall Windows 7? Or is that just outdated thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

gmq posted:

Would there be any gain in speed if I reinstall Windows 7? Or is that just outdated thinking?

You will definitely get some help from the effects of de-crufting, but it doesn't build up as badly as with older versions of Windows.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've had my same install of Windows 7 since August 2009. That's almost 3 solid years of just one install.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 are very resilient to the "Windows rot" of previous versions.

IT Guy posted:

I wouldn't be changing stuff in GPO to fix the issue. Something is wrong.

Has someone turned off dynamic updates on the domain in the DNS server? Right click the domain name in DNS Manager (forward lookup) and look to see what the dynamic updates is set at.

edit: Also make sure someone didn't turn off the DHCP client service through GPO for xp machines. Also is your DHCP server setup properly and handing out the proper DNS servers and DNS suffix(option 15 if I recall) (I don't think this matters for dynamic updates but for resolving it would).

It's the option on client systems:
"Register this connection's address in DNS"

It was disabled for our old domain (which was actually Apple Open Directory).

For our new AD (with real Windows servers), it uses that to popular DNS server. I can go around and change the setting back on ALL systems, but I want to be able to do it via GPO to make it easier/quicker.

I've been unable to force it via GPO.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 20, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do OEMs still sell new computers with a 32bit Windows configuration? Just curious on how dead 32bit windows is on new hardware.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

gmq posted:

In my opinion, unless you've been doing some hosed up poo poo with dodgy drivers, maybe had an infection you cleaned half-assed, or installed some piece of software that screws with core functions, Windows 7 is basically great over time. Sure, you'll get redundant crap building up here and there, but it shouldn't slow the whole thing down. You'll probably save a bit of HDD space more than anything.

Shaocaholica posted:

Do OEMs still sell new computers with a 32bit Windows configuration? Just curious on how dead 32bit windows is on new hardware.

About a year ago we bought some dirt cheap Lenovo laptops, and even with 2GB RAM they had Windows 7 Pro x64 installed. I'm pretty sure 32 bit installs are dying, especially with the explosion of cheap RAM. You have even lovely consumer machines coming with 4GB at least, and quite often 6-8. A lovely reversal from the late P3/early P4 era machines when some were shipping with 128MB and XP (!) which was horrible.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 20, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HalloKitty posted:

About a year ago we bought some dirt cheap Lenovo laptops, and even with 2GB RAM they had Windows 7 Pro x64 installed. I'm pretty sure 32 bit installs are dying, especially with the explosion of cheap RAM. You have even lovely consumer machines coming with 4GB at least, and quite often 6-8. A lovely reversal from the late P3/early P4 era machines when some were shipping with 128MB and XP (!) which was horrible.

Well I've always thought that you don't need >4GB for 64bit since you'd still get the benefit of not having to deal with deploying 2 configurations and all the baggage that comes with that. I'm sure the OEMs are happier for the simplicity but I guess 32bit downgrades still exist for the few people that want them.

grass
Jun 10, 2008

by T. Mascis
I got a windows 7 features problem, Its insanely minor but its driving me up the wall.

When viewing your files in folders on list view, lets use your Music folder for example, If something is on the second column, the right column and you click on it, the column instantly moves over to the left side of the screen, like flipping a page. You cant even double click on it, when you try to double click, the first click "flips the page" so to speak and the second click will hit the next column of newly appeared files and repeat the problem. Makes things like going thru a folder ctrl clicking on certain things to play or copy paste or whatever, really frustrating.

Like I said, its a stupid minor problem, but I hate it. Makes me really regret the upgrade yet I feel stupid for letting something so minor bug me so much.

Any idea's on how to disable that feature would be great.

El Goatherd
Jun 25, 2005

hate is art
I don't know if this is the right thread, here's one piece of free, standalone software I've been using for years.

Cathy - http://www.mtg.sk/rva/

It's a completely portable, standalone program which allows you to catalog the contents of any storage device(s) surprisingly quick, and then browse and instantly search the results. You need to make a new folder with a copy of Cathy in it for each catalog, but at 47kb it hardly matters.

It's mainly intended for DVDs and other removal storage, but the portability and speed at which it both catalogs and searches mean I find it for searching my hard drives than Windows search. Basically, if you ever need to search for files quickly whether or not they're attached to the PC then you need this software.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

retro sexual posted:

Lightweight alternative to Adobe Reader for pdfs for a new laptop? (Win 7)

Hey - if you're still dealing with this, I'll give you my recommendation for SumatraPDF (installed, of course, through Ninite). I've been on a 'lightweight software' spree lately, and SumatraPDF certainly fits the bill compared to, say, Adobe Reader.

Anyone else - if you're on the fence, give Sumatra a try.

edit: But do watch out for the garish yellow colour scheme

Earl of Lavender fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 21, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

retro sexual posted:

Lightweight alternative to Adobe Reader for pdfs for a new laptop? (Win 7)

Not really what you're asking for but I've never had to use an external app to read PDFs ever since I've been using Chrome as a browser since it has a built in PDF viewer.

Why can't MS just write a native windows PDF viewer? Legal?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

grass posted:

I got a windows 7 features problem, Its insanely minor but its driving me up the wall.

When viewing your files in folders on list view, lets use your Music folder for example, If something is on the second column, the right column and you click on it, the column instantly moves over to the left side of the screen, like flipping a page. You cant even double click on it, when you try to double click, the first click "flips the page" so to speak and the second click will hit the next column of newly appeared files and repeat the problem. Makes things like going thru a folder ctrl clicking on certain things to play or copy paste or whatever, really frustrating.

Like I said, its a stupid minor problem, but I hate it. Makes me really regret the upgrade yet I feel stupid for letting something so minor bug me so much.

Any idea's on how to disable that feature would be great.

There's a lot I don't like about the 7 version of Explorer. Previous versions showed the total size of the files in the status bar if you didn't select anything, in 7 that's gone. Also if you select more than 16 files it stops automatically showing the combined size and makes you click the stupid "Show more details..." link at the bottom, which is slow because it goes through each file typing to interpret the contents so that it can show you total playing time for mp3s, or video length for video files.

Another thing I've noticed is that if you select a file and then right click it, but towards the far right end of the selection box, then it acts as if you'd right-clicked the folder background not the file, even though you clicked within the box.

I also don't like the way it shits "desktop.ini" files everywhere, and even tries to automatically write them to removable media - a "feature" which apparently cannot be disabled.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 21, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sweevo posted:

There's a lot I don't like about the 7 version of Explorer. Previous versions showed the total size of files in a folder if you didn't select anything, in 7 that's gone. Also if you select more than 16 files it stops automatically showing the combined size and makes you click the stupid "more details" link at the bottom, which is also slow because it tries to interpret the contents of each file and also work out total playing time for mp3s, or video length for video files.

I agree. By default Explorer is simply awful. Hence, Classic Shell.
I only have the old status bar showing, and I hide that new useless pane.

Also does other time-and-click saving features such as always showing more details in copy dialogues, showing shared folders with an icon overlay, and so on.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Shaocaholica posted:

They did. It's in Windows 8.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Can anyone recommend a good free syslog server for Windows? I can't seem to find a decent one and I'm about to just install cygwin /w syslogd which isn't what I really want to do.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Toast Museum posted:

To extend this, legal issues are why save to PDF wasn't installed with Office 2007 (you had to download a separate MS-written plugin for that). I assume the same applies for why there's no PDF reader in Win7 and earlier.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

IT Guy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good free syslog server for Windows? I can't seem to find a decent one and I'm about to just install cygwin /w syslogd which isn't what I really want to do.

I haven't really stumbled across a good free one since Kiwi got bought up.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Toast Museum posted:

Neato.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

As far as I could tell in the RP though, it was Metro only. So fullscreen only.

..and it was slow. And largely useless.

Is there built-in PDF reading through a new desktop app that I missed?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Is there built-in PDF reading through a new desktop app that I missed?

Not that I've seen, but I haven't tried the release preview.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Quick question. I want a really quick way of enabling "Always show all icons in the taskbar" and disabling the Action Center in Windows 7. I deploy a lot of machines and I always do these two things when I set up a computer. Is there a batch file I can run that will do this for me? As you can tell I am incredibly lazy.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Toast Museum posted:

Not that I've seen, but I haven't tried the release preview.

Nope, there's just the Metro one. Whether or not that's "largely useless" depends on how deep your burning hatred of Metro is. For static documents, it's worked fine for me so far.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

kri kri posted:

Quick question. I want a really quick way of enabling "Always show all icons in the taskbar" and disabling the Action Center in Windows 7. I deploy a lot of machines and I always do these two things when I set up a computer. Is there a batch file I can run that will do this for me? As you can tell I am incredibly lazy.
Would adding a .reg file to the registry do?

[*]"About your easiest bet, is to show ALL Notification Area icons for all users. This can be done by adding a (simple) registry entry:

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
create a new DWORD value named EnableAutoTray and set it to 0 to turn off the Notification Area's 'auto hide' features." from here.

[*]"This one disables the [Action Center] icon:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"HideSCAHealth"=dword:00000001" from here.

(Haven't tested these myself)

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I have a Windows 7 upgrade key from like 2 years ago. I was wondering if I could use that for registering a new copy of Windows 7. From what I understand there are ISOs of Windows 7 that you can download from Microsoft or whoever and then authenticate with an upgrade-only key through some arcane process? I found this in the OP's FAQ:

univbee posted:

Q: How do upgrade licenses work? Does the previous OS have to be installed or is there a way to install it "clean"?

A:
Generally, a previous valid OS must be installed, but there are some funky workarounds. Read this link for more info.

Unfortunately the link is dead. Anyone know where else I can find these "funky workarounds"?

Also, that upgrade key is currently in use for my laptop (which I upgraded from Vista). Will that be a problem?

If this is not the right place to post this please let me know.

Edit: vvvvv Sweet, thanks. I did not realize it had been discussed so recently.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 21, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Flame112 posted:

I have a Windows 7 upgrade key from like 2 years ago. I was wondering if I could use that for registering a new copy of Windows 7. From what I understand there are ISOs of Windows 7 that you can download from Microsoft or whoever and then authenticate with an upgrade-only key through some arcane process? I found this in the OP's FAQ:

Unfortunately the link is dead. Anyone know where else I can find these "funky workarounds"?

Also, that upgrade key is currently in use for my laptop (which I upgraded from Vista). Will that be a problem?

If this is not the right place to post this please let me know.
Most of the answers to these questions are on page 403 of this thread.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Not really what you're asking for but I've never had to use an external app to read PDFs ever since I've been using Chrome as a browser since it has a built in PDF viewer.

Do you know if it's possible to have Chrome display the table of contents in a pdf?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I couldn't find an Outlook-specific thread, so please direct me there if one exists.

When I reply to an email, Outlook wants to apply the paragraph settings of the original email to my reply. Some of the people I work with use bizarre settings for spacing between paragraphs and whatnot, and I don't want what I type to inherit that. Assuming this is a template thing, is there some way to force it to use my normal.dot instead of whatever the other person's using?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Has anyone used FileMenu Tools? I upgraded to Windows 7 at work, but I'm no longer able to get a context menu to run SAS in batch mode. So I tried doing this -

http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1010c&L=sas-l&D=0&P=5781

However nothing new shows up when I right click on SAS files. If I can't get this to work, is the best command line option to use cygwin with a .bat file?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
I just got a new HD and reformatted, and I can't see my spare HD anymore. It was apparently formatted as a "dynamic disk", not that I know how/what that is. I installed all the drivers I can think of my for motherboard. Any advice?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Rent posted:

I just got a new HD and reformatted, and I can't see my spare HD anymore. It was apparently formatted as a "dynamic disk", not that I know how/what that is. I installed all the drivers I can think of my for motherboard. Any advice?

Do you mean you can't see it in Explorer? If so your disk might have gotten marked as offline in disk management somehow. Run diskmgmt.msc and find your drive in the lower pane. If it says "Offline" on the left hand side, then right-click and choose "Online." If your drive's not listed here, then I'd say it's either not connected or just FUBARed.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

stubblyhead posted:

Do you mean you can't see it in Explorer? If so your disk might have gotten marked as offline in disk management somehow. Run diskmgmt.msc and find your drive in the lower pane. If it says "Offline" on the left hand side, then right-click and choose "Online." If your drive's not listed here, then I'd say it's either not connected or just FUBARed.

Thanks for the reply. Turns out the cable kept coming loose everytime I'd reattach it, and then I had to go in and "import Foreign disk" under the command you gave me.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
did anyone else's system get hosed with that update that automatically installed yesterday? my computer has been running great before it, but after it auto-installed on me without my permission, I started getting BSODs after my computer was on for about 15 minutes. I tried to do a system restore to just before the update, and then when I would get past entering my password I would just get a black screen with a mouse cursor. I rebooted in safe mode, which then loaded windows successfully and gave me the "you have restored to so and so point" message. Rebooted again, normally this time, and I could get my desktop to load, but doing literally anything else was not possible (e.g., I tried to open wireless connections from control panel and it slowly loaded and then sat there doing nothing, even after waiting 10 minutes. pretty much the same story for everything else.) I also just noticed that I can no longer open MS Office documents, because it gives me some error about not having a registered copy of Office.

to top this off, I'm traveling in Europe and don't really have access to my backups at home in the US... thank god safe-mode with networking is working fine, though the 640x820 or whatever isn't so hot

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe I'm misstating this but why doesn't windows 8 hibernate when I close my laptop lid by default? It seems like thats a pretty drastic change to what people are used to as the standard sleep behavior.

Edit: Also, why are the included wallpapers in the RP so lovely? Worse than Win7. Why not just use the Win7 ones? Guh.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 23, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just reinstalled and I was wondering, what's the best way to get a functioning media player that reproduces everything?

Normally I install CCCP but maybe there's a better way?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What would be the equivalent steps to do this in windows 7?

quote:

To change the default action for .SAS files:

Open Windows Explorer and Select Viewthen selectOptions.
Now Select File Typesthen selectSAS System Program.
Select Edit.
Highlight the Batch Submit action and SelectSet Defaultthen selectOK.
Double click a .SAS file to execute the SAS program in batch mode. The .LOG and .LST files will be created in the same folder as the .SAS file.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

This should help: http://www.winvistaclub.com/t19.html

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

gmq posted:

I just reinstalled and I was wondering, what's the best way to get a functioning media player that reproduces everything?

I just use MPC-HC. Not sure what I'm missing out on but I haven't needed the extra(?) codecs in codec packs in a while now since MPC-HC handles so many of them natively.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

actionjackson posted:

What would be the equivalent steps to do this in windows 7?

Also Default Programs Editor :toot:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

gmq posted:

What do you mean reproduce? I use VLC.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

kri kri posted:

What do you mean reproduce? I use VLC.

Isn't VLC horribly unoptimized on windows compared to MPC-HC and ffdshow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks