Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Lullabee posted:

So I ended up going to urgent care who forwarded me to the ER. After a bunch of tests and two ultra sounds, the doctor figured out we're fine. Slight infection, but getting taken care of. I'm 6 weeks, 5 days. However, she said they noticed the heartbeat was kind of slow for the time. She said it wasn't a concern, but was just curious if any of you guys experienced something like that?

Oh yes, early in my first trimester I had some bleeding that was pretty heavy. They sat me in the ER for like 2 hours while I drank a bunch of water for the ultrasound and cried thinking my baby was gone. Turns out I had an ovarian cyst and some mild breakthrough bleeding and the baby was totally fine. Her heartbeat was pretty slow then too, and the doctor laughed it off and said "See? She's way less stressed out about this than you are!"

I hope you feel better now that you went in and got it checked out.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 21, 2017

FrankenTarded
Dec 12, 2010

My wife and I have a 1 month old and she is having some issues building a milk supply. She is using a Medela Symphony breast pump rented from the hospital and is currently pumping every 3 hours for 20 minutes (she used to pump for 15 before). She is taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle supplements at the advice of our lactation consultant. Direct breast feeding is not possible due to latching problems with the baby's tongue. We have had multiple visits with the lactation consultant to work on this issue but he just doesn't want to nurse properly.

She is averaging around 13oz per day pumping (forcing us to supplement with formula) but we seem to have plateaued around there. Does anyone have any advice for increasing supply?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Is she eating and drinking enough? How about eating oatmeal? Breast compressions can help too. I feel for you guys -- exclusive pumping sucks. :(

FrankenTarded
Dec 12, 2010

She is eating enough and is struggling to drink enough. We are doing breast compression while pumping as well. We will try the oatmeal

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Try and find a chapter of La Leche League nearby. A lactation consultant is a great resource for breastfeeding issues, but not every one can solve all latch issues. LLL members can often do what a LC cannot.

Has he been evaluated by more than one doctor for tongue tie issues? Some tongue ties are very well hidden and take multiple doctors and multiple visits to find and clip. I know of a woman whose son had one that was so hard to find that it took months for him to learn to latch, but once the tongue tie was found, he did eventually learn. I think he was close to four months old when he finally was able to latch and nurse properly. For some women, the pump simply will never do what the baby can do, so getting him latching properly could be worth pursuing.

FrankenTarded
Dec 12, 2010

There was a tongue tie that was noticed at birth and it was snipped before he was 48 hours old. We took him to a 2nd surgeon were it was determined that it was snipped so far back to go any further the benefits would not be worth the risks of bleeding and muscle damage etc etc. The babies tongue is still not extending properly and his jaw is not dropping enough when feeding. We really don't know what to do. We will look into La Leche League meetings nearby.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
You could see a pediatric speech therapist for an evaluation as well. My four month old is working with one right now for his wonky suck.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

FrankenTarded posted:

Does anyone have any advice for increasing supply?
I had very similar issues, and my midwife recommended the fenugreek, Mother's Milk Plus, oatmeal, and also a recipe for green papaya and trout soup that she got from her Chinese mother-in-law and that she and many of her patients swear by:

GrammarFascist's Midwife posted:

Take a whole large trout (including bones, skin, tail, etc.) and a whole large green papaya (including skin, seeds, etc.) and cut them into pieces (check a Chinese or Indian market for these ingredients). Add water and vegetable broth, and simmer for about 3 hours. Strain the liquid and discard the trout and papaya. Should make approximately two cups of broth. Add salt to taste. Drink over approximately two days.
It seemed weird, but I was willing to try anything, and my supply increased significantly afterward and has stayed plentiful for about 6 weeks and counting. It also didn't taste as bad as I thought it might.

This is unrelated to the trout broth, but we also were able to go back to breastfeeding (he was unable to latch, but the lactation consultants and pediatrician were never able to figure out why) when he was about 7 weeks old--I think it was a combination of his mouth getting bigger and him getting stronger that helped a lot, so maintain hope that there can be light at the end of the pumping tunnel!

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Well, from the 19-wk ultrasound it's looking like Li'l Neo is probably a boy. My main reaction has been mild panic. I have to learn baby boy things. Cleaning boy parts and doing boy potty training. I'm taking a deep breath and reminding myself that ultimately my husband and I have always wanted one of each, and this is great (and everything looked just fine on the U/S, lots of goofy kicking, everything the right size and all that).

I know it's silly, it just suddenly feels like I'm going to have to learn all this new stuff when I already know how to do the baby girl thing. Women here who have had boys--it's not actually a big deal changing boy diapers (just watch out for fountains) and doing potty training with boys, right?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I know it's silly, it just suddenly feels like I'm going to have to learn all this new stuff when I already know how to do the baby girl thing. Women here who have had boys--it's not actually a big deal changing boy diapers (just watch out for fountains) and doing potty training with boys, right?

Fountains, poop on the scrotum. I mean, you have likely had to clean poop out of your kid's vagina so there's nothing to really worry about there.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

buttzilla posted:

poop on the scrotum

All my life I've heard dudes whining about how sensitive their balls are, so I was afraid to do more than dab at the poopscrote--I'd give up and dunk the kid's bottom half in a warm bathtub. My husband had to get in there and show me that you can actually wipe it vigorously and it doesn't hurt--in fact, Arthur giggles when you're doing anything in that area.

Another thing to watch out for is that baby boys get little baby boners. Usually means they're about to pee. My husband can actually spot this quickly and can get him to pee into the old diaper before he changes him. It can be a bit disconcerting if you're not used to dealing with baby boys!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My two middle children are boys and honestly they were loads easier to clean up post-diaper than my daughter was. It was also easier to potty train them because aiming is more fun for them than sitting (although aiming took way longer than I'd hoped for.) They were both also easier to comfort, but that might have been because I had more experience after my daughter (the eldest) was born. I'll know more once this daughter is born!

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Ha, okay, thanks guys! I've been warned about the poop on the scrotum too and I'm sure that and the fountains and baby boners will get totally normal after a few days. It must have been about the same for my husband learning to clean up our daughter.

Now I'll just go shed a small tear for the handful of darling little toddler dresses that were only worn twice and then outgrown and I won't get another chance at. I'm not even all that into girly clothes but some of those were so nice.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I've only had boys and my thought would be that it's easier to clean boy parts because it's all out there rather than having to get crap out of all the crevices. Also fountains seem like they would be easier to deal with than puddles as the trajectory gives you a split second to get something in place to soak it up.

Think it's probably just what you're used to though.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Boys are easy enough to clean. At least it's all hanging out there and easy to see if you've missed a spot. The fountains aren't too bad. As someone said, you can usually tell when they're about to pee, and when he does it usually goes all over the changing table and floor, so easy to clean up. Can't help laughing at his baby boners though. Hope he doesn't need therapy in future.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've heard that boys can get quite the distance. I've allegedly peed on the ceiling in the bathroom at my parents' house, although no matter how hard I try these days I can't even get close, sooooo... v:shobon:v

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Well, from the 19-wk ultrasound it's looking like Li'l Neo is probably a boy. My main reaction has been mild panic. I have to learn baby boy things. Cleaning boy parts and doing boy potty training. I'm taking a deep breath and reminding myself that ultimately my husband and I have always wanted one of each, and this is great (and everything looked just fine on the U/S, lots of goofy kicking, everything the right size and all that).

We just got our ultrasound yesterday at 19.5 weeks, we have the opposite problem, we're having a little girl and my husband is in full on panic mode. He did, however, take a moment to briefly point out it's ME who gets to have the fun talks with her about girl stuff in 5-10 years...

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'll have one at 20 weeks a week from this Monday. Looks like a handful of us are around the same time.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Alterian posted:

I'll have one at 20 weeks a week from this Monday. Looks like a handful of us are around the same time.

My wife is at 21 weeks today. Halloween-due babies best babies.

Our ultrasound was yesterday. The doctor called to say that everything looked fine, excepting a low-lying placenta. Looking online, this appears to be a fairly regular issue that will resolve itself by the third trimester. Has anyone had any experience with this?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Copernic posted:

My wife is at 21 weeks today. Halloween-due babies best babies.

Our ultrasound was yesterday. The doctor called to say that everything looked fine, excepting a low-lying placenta. Looking online, this appears to be a fairly regular issue that will resolve itself by the third trimester. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Yup, I had a low-lying placenta with my first pregnancy. I bled some after sex once so we had an ultrasound done and discovered it. It moved out of the way and I had no complications.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
I had an ultrasound done today because I've been measuring big, this kid is almost 4 1/2 pounds already and I'm at 31 weeks on Monday. The doctor seems fine with this, I however am terrified this is going to be a 12 pound baby. How accurate are these estimates?? I know there is some leeway, but my books all say he is about a pound over average already. Am I going to have to get a Sumo wrestler costume for his first halloween??

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

rangergirl posted:

I had an ultrasound done today because I've been measuring big, this kid is almost 4 1/2 pounds already and I'm at 31 weeks on Monday. The doctor seems fine with this, I however am terrified this is going to be a 12 pound baby. How accurate are these estimates?? I know there is some leeway, but my books all say he is about a pound over average already. Am I going to have to get a Sumo wrestler costume for his first halloween??

I'm pretty sure my kid was supposed to be 5lb at my 32 week scan, but they really aren't accurate. He was in the 90th+ percentile for weight at most of my scans and was apparently going to be short and fat. He came out at a respectable 8lb 10oz, long and thin. I don't think I know anyone whose estimated birth weight was close to accurate.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
We've got a potential night active baby on our hands. He'll happily sleep all day long, then as soon as we start winding up for bed he gets all cranky. A little feed would normally calm him down, but at night he has a massive dump in his nappy every time he feeds. He hates being changed and cleaned too. :-(

The midwife is happy that he's feeding okay and that Mrs. D's milk has come on okay. He just likes to cry all night.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

rangergirl posted:

Even if he's heavy, like all of mine were (over 9 lbs.), he could still be long too. Mine shot out like darts because they were long and skinny.

Also, bigger can be better because the babies feel less like they're going to break if you hold them wrong. STURDY BABBEH BEST BABBEH.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
My wife is 8 weeks pregnant and has been completely miserable for the last 2 weeks. She is in pain and vomiting like, all the time and has only been to work 2 days, which is kind of screwing up our maternity leave budgeting. She got some anti-nausea pills from her doctor that don't seem to help at all. Any suggestions?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

buttzilla posted:

I mean, you have likely had to clean poop out of your kid's vagina so there's nothing to really worry about there.

Actually, is that normal? I have a daughter, not even a month, and she's occasionally had diapers so full I had to wipe poop from out of her vagina. I always remember the whole "wipe away from the vagina" thing, so should I be worried about an infection or anything like that? Or is it just something that happens, but it's only a problem if I'm actively constantly wiping poop up?

...it feels so weird to be talking about someone else's poop, and someone's vagina other than my wife. Does the weirdness ever go away?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Axiem posted:

Actually, is that normal? I have a daughter, not even a month, and she's occasionally had diapers so full I had to wipe poop from out of her vagina. I always remember the whole "wipe away from the vagina" thing, so should I be worried about an infection or anything like that? Or is it just something that happens, but it's only a problem if I'm actively constantly wiping poop up?

...it feels so weird to be talking about someone else's poop, and someone's vagina other than my wife. Does the weirdness ever go away?

It was pretty normal in our household. My daughter's never had a UTI or any other related infections.

Re: Size of baby - I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead (34 weeks measuring 36) and I'm honestly not too concerned. If you're super paranoid, schedule an ultrasound at 39 weeks and have them measure the head ;)

e: basically what i'm saying is weight isn't the issue, like Stairs already mentioned. The head size is the bigger concern.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 23, 2012

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
The day before I delivered, I had an ultrasound where they estimated his weight between 8.5 lbs. to 11lbs. He was 7 lbs 12 oz.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Yea, I was told a pretty generic "we don't expect her to top 7 and a half pounds" and she was 7lbs 15oz. This time around I was told "we don't expect him to be much bigger than your first".

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate for birth weight. Nothing to worry about.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 21, 2017

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

It's only week 7 and this baby is already causing problems. Started bleeding this evening, went to the ER, they couldn't see anything in the ultra sound. But my hormone levels have doubled, so they said the babies fine. My question is: what is the best way to relax? Also, how do you occupy yourselves on bed rest? It's been two days and I'm already going crazy.

Drink lots of water. Sleep lots. Internet, books,etc. I'm on bed rest for the weekend due to preterm labor and I'm catching up on TV shows. You kinda learn how to entertain yourself.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Lullabee posted:

It's only week 7 and this baby is already causing problems. Started bleeding this evening, went to the ER, they couldn't see anything in the ultra sound. But my hormone levels have doubled, so they said the babies fine. My question is: what is the best way to relax? Also, how do you occupy yourselves on bed rest? It's been two days and I'm already going crazy.

I'm 5-6 weeks and had some scary bleeding yesterday, dr told me to go home and stay in bed all weekend, and I'm to go see her on Monday. It's a bummer but I'm just hanging out and bingeing on tv. I'm hopeful all is ok since I haven't had any more bright red blood since the initial amount, and my boobs still hurt like crazy. Good luck!

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Do you have any hobbies that you can do sitting in bed or on the couch? If not, maybe it's time to pick one up. You can learn how to knit or crochet from YouTube videos, for example!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Amelia Song posted:

Do you have any hobbies that you can do sitting in bed or on the couch? If not, maybe it's time to pick one up. You can learn how to knit or crochet from YouTube videos, for example!

I'm just gonna catch up on some DVDs and keep working on annotating my copy of The Golden Bough since I'm a nerd.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Ok, I intend to make another post later when I have a few spare minutes, since I haven't posted since I had this baby, but right now I only have a moment to try to find a solution to this problem.

I tried breastfeeding and had a lot of latch problems, some of which we worked through, but in the end, we could get him on, but he won't get his tongue out, and just chomps on the nipple. Basically none of the lactation people at the hospital were listening to me until the last one I saw less than an hour before I walked out the door. She thinks he may be tongue-tied, and the pediatrician is going to check that on Tuesday. So baby-to-boob is not an option right now.

That last lactation consultant rented me a hospital pump so that I could keep things going until Tuesday. Unfortunately, I appear to be doing something wrong, and the milk is collecting in the bottom of the flange. Generally this wouldn't be a problem, because eventually you can just lean forward and dump it into the collector thing, but any time I move, the flange slightly loses suction, which dumps all the milk in the flange right down my stomach. And after enduring the discomfort of the pump, it is beyond frustrating to have all the milk being dumped on the floor. And thanks to this frustration, I haven't pumped much in the past two days, leading to painful engorgement, which means the flanges fit even worse because my boobs have less give.

Had the husband run out and buy a hand pump, but I'm having the same problem with that. The only solution I can see is leaning forward the whole time I'm pumping, but so far the c-section incision has made that really difficult (and it's hard on the back to stay leaning forward for 15-20 minutes every few hours, even if you didn't just have a c-section.) Any advice?

Ashes_to_ashton
May 2, 2005
Rocky Horror is my Love

Mnemosyne posted:

Had the husband run out and buy a hand pump, but I'm having the same problem with that. The only solution I can see is leaning forward the whole time I'm pumping, but so far the c-section incision has made that really difficult (and it's hard on the back to stay leaning forward for 15-20 minutes every few hours, even if you didn't just have a c-section.) Any advice?

I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I wonder if hand expressing might be an option for you? It would probably take more time, but I'd imagine it'd be less frustrating than seeing your hard work spill on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Mnemosyne posted:

Any advice?

There are a few things that stood out to me:

- Posture: You should be sitting up straight (as much as you are able to without causing yourself pain) when you pump. When you have good posture, the horizontal part of the flange will naturally slope downward. If you are leaning too far back, put a pillow behind your back or find a different chair. You don't need to lean forward, but you can't relax either. Side note: I recently discovered that pumping at home works best for me if I sit in one of our patio chairs.

- Flange fit: Your nipple itself should not touch any part of the flange, but you need to make sure that you're putting the flange on so that your breast helps create a seal. It's possible that you need a different size flange. Standard is 25 mm but there are inserts that can reduce it to 21 mm or enlarge it to 30.5 mm. (Troubleshoot)

Are you double pumping? If so, how are you keeping the flanges in place? Are you holding them with your hands or using a pumping bustier? If you're holding them with your hands, it will be harder to maintain a hold that keeps suction. If you don't want to buy a pumping bustier, then I would single pump until you are able to figure out how the flanges should fit and how you need to hold them to ensure that fit.