Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

For some reason when I played the first game I assumed Trish was a love interest, and now I think back on it I realise how creepy that would've been :downs:
At this point this game is so far removed from the original DMC and character of Dante that it's probably a good thing. Now I'm just sad that new Dante seems like the kind of person who would write edgy poems about their inner pain and post it to their Tumblr :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Prism_Pink posted:

For some reason when I played the first game I assumed Trish was a love interest, and now I think back on it I realise how creepy that would've been :downs:

I'm pretty sure she still was. Which is horrifyingly creepy if you do stop to think of it.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Surely wanting a character to be gay purely for the sake of pissing off homophobes is an incredibly infantile thing to do, doesn't really have anything to do with anything. Slightly confused by the start of that article, to be honest.

quote:

After a brief humourous exchange that ends with both characters yelling, "f**k you" back and forth, she vomits acid all over the platform.

The pinnacle of comedy, right there.

quote:

What Ninja Theory hasn't changed is the series' penchant for enormous, challenging and grotesque boss battles.

I'm fairly convinced that grotesque boss battles was never really a penchant for the series. Sure some were fairly large, but very, very few were particularly gruesome.

I'm just generally confused by half of what I'm reading, it's like nobody outside of the series' fans actually know why the current fans aren't happy with the direction the games taking. It's all about the combat, with Dante's original devil may care attitude just being a nice little aspect of the game.

But no, everyone seems to think the reason everyone's pissed off is because Dante has different hair now and the bosses weren't going to be disgusting.

It looks quite pretty, though.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

notZaar posted:

Dante has never had a love interest so it wouldn't really matter if he was gay or not.

As we learned from DMC3 and 4, Dante's only real love interest is himself. And after the Lucifer scene, who could blame him?

IronyGuy6669
Apr 22, 2010
Funny that they mention Post Punk. When I first saw the new design for Dante I thought he looked like he could be in a post punk band. Of course the game won't actually match that period in intellectual content with its "deep satire".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

"Dante's not gay, but I wish he was" says Ninja Theory creative director Tameem Antoniades. "That would teach all those homophobes out there."

What kind of mentality has this man got? And besides, what's stopping them? It's their reboot. Though I'm sure they'd handle that as about tactfully as they have the social commentary.

Seriously though, has Tameem Antoniades got chronic foot-in-mouth syndrome?

The adaptive difficulty seems like a good idea though, how well it works remains to be seen.

quote:

While this all seems ridiculous Antoniades insists that this new version of Devil May Cry is a more sincere approach to the series. "It's more grounded in some ways," he says. "You could say it's more serious." The individual elements are still ludicrous, but it deals with more real world themes like media and government control.

We don't want sincerity. We don't want it to become more grounded and we certainly don't want it to become serious. You can't have wacky antics with Dante and try to balance that out with serious social commentary. It's tonally inconsistant.

[e]: That's true :lol:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 14, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DMC had adaptive difficulty. If you died a lot they'd put you on easy :v:

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

notZaar posted:

Dante has never had a love interest so it wouldn't really matter if he was gay or not.

Jukebox. It's been with him the whole time.

Balobam posted:

I'm fairly convinced that grotesque boss battles was never really a penchant for the series. Sure some were fairly large, but very, very few were particularly gruesome.

Most of the best fights in the series were smaller scale like Vergil, Nelo Angelo or Credo. But no, NT thinks we want more of DMC2's Jokatgulm (big stationary snake thing).

wildzero fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 15, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

What kind of mentality has this man got? And besides, what's stopping them? It's their reboot.

because someone higher up (Capcom) probably didn't/wouldn't like the idea when/if it was suggested

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

GUI posted:

because someone higher up (Capcom) probably didn't/wouldn't like the idea when/if it was suggested

That's true, yeah. It's still got to get Capcom's seal of approval after all.

wildzero posted:

Most of the best fights in the series were smaller scale like Vergil, Nelo Angelo or Credo. But no, NT thinks we want more of DMC2's Jokatgulm (big stationary snake thing).

I wonder what other bosses they'll put in this. Mundus? This Lillith character? Vergil, if he's in it? Not-Glenn Beck?

I'm still disappointed that the first boss is 1/3 of the way through the game and all it is, is that gross bug. And the fight itself manages to look so boring. It's basically a simplified version of the Savior fight, but with a gross bug and bad music.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 15, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone knows Dante's real love interest has always been pizza and strawberry sundaes, come on guys.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Dante does not like ice cream. That godawful anime is simply not canon.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I am intrigued by the live difficulty-scaling mechanic supposedly a-la Godhand. Ya know, even if the game isn't up to snuff as a member of the DMC series maybe it'll turn out at least passable. I mean, it can't be worse than 2, can it? I just...want...a demo... Also maaaaaybe there will be an alternate control scheme that lets you switch styles/weapons with the dpad/shoulder buttons instead of the retarded Heavenly Sword-style trigger-holding? Trying to be optimistic here. \/:shobon:\/

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

Dante does not like ice cream. That godawful anime is simply not canon.

Naked Dante losing to Enzo at strip poker in the Gates of Hell, begs to differ. :colbert:

Though gently caress the anime. How people can miss the point so much, I just don't know. Expecting it to be Hellsing but with demons, and we got "Dante stands around with limited animation and does cool stuff offscreen because our budget ran out". And add a little girl as well, because no-one will be able to watch a show about Dante kicking rear end for 30 mins.

Cool theme song though.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Interview with that guy from Capcom who also keeps making dumb inflammatory comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYaNIqhXwk

Just him sayin how he feels that Ninja Theory are on the right track and the usual soundclips they've been saying for ages.

Oh, and dismissing dissenters as children:

quote:

"Kids are reactionary - everything's a knee-jerk reaction."

:jerkbag:

Note on that video how the most effective way to do damage the bug is to spam the heavy attack - for all the piddling damage the guns, Rebellion and the sycthe seem to do, they might as well not bother. It's DMC2 all over again!

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 16, 2012

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Interview with that guy from Capcom who also keeps making dumb inflammatory comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYaNIqhXwk

Just him sayin how he feels that Ninja Theory are on the right track and the usual soundclips they've been saying for ages.

Oh, and dismissing dissenters as children:

:jerkbag:

Note on that video how the most effective way to do damage the bug is to spam the heavy attack - for all the piddling damage the guns, Rebellion and the sycthe seem to do, they might as well not bother. It's DMC2 all over again!

I'll never figure out Capcom. They are so drat eccentric they border in downright insane at times. Not just with DMC either. Breath of Fire and even their Street Fighter series has had some pretty drat crazy changes over the years. I guess this is just one of the most outlandish considering what they are doing for fans of the series.

The interview is just another example of such. Ignoring what the customer want and screaming back at them what they SHOULD want to the point of cramming it down their throats. It sounds like some sort of radical marketing gimmick but I cannot for the life of me work out the point of it. Every time I see the argument flare up I cannot help but wonder why didn't they just name the character ANYTHING ELSE and likely avoided this whole drama. You can argue they are trying to cause a ruckus to increase the game's publicity but we are talking about a video game, not a new soda drink. The majority of the game's potential customers will be fans of the DMC series and Capcom/NT seem to be doing their level best at pissing them off.

The sad thing is I guess it is lose-lose for the fans. If the game does well we will see more of Mk II Dante in all his pre-pubescent, Dennis the Menace-style glory. If it does bad, Capcom will likely just shelve the series like they did BoF and never make mention of it again. Not the end the series deserves but I guess few video game series do have a happy ending. I guess it is just the nature of the industry.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
The weird thing about this game (okay, one of the many weird things) is that it feels like it's made for an entirely different audience. A DMC game made for non-DMC fans. I guess that's the point of a reboot, but a good reboot doesn't throw the old fans out the window, while still appealing to people new to the franchise.

I've seen plenty of people comment, "Screw the whiners, I don't even like Devil May Cry but I'm gonna buy this game cause it looks awesome." Meanwhile the game seems to be doing all it can to repel DMC fans. :psyduck: I wish this game wasn't so far away still. I want it to just come out so we can see if it's good or bad, and then hopefully move on to anticipating DMC5.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I plan to play this game and enjoy it, and also simultaneously enjoy the original Devil May Cry Series, and Bayonetta.

Eat it, nerds :smug:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Calihan posted:

You can argue they are trying to cause a ruckus to increase the game's publicity but we are talking about a video game, not a new soda drink. The majority of the game's potential customers will be fans of the DMC series and Capcom/NT seem to be doing their level best at pissing them off.

The sad thing is I guess it is lose-lose for the fans. If the game does well we will see more of Mk II Dante in all his pre-pubescent, Dennis the Menace-style glory. If it does bad, Capcom will likely just shelve the series like they did BoF and never make mention of it again. Not the end the series deserves but I guess few video game series do have a happy ending. I guess it is just the nature of the industry.

Funny enough, they've manufactured that Virility stuff as part of their marketing.
I'm not sure if they're being ironic or not.

AccountingNightmare posted:

I guess that's the point of a reboot, but a good reboot doesn't throw the old fans out the window, while still appealing to people new to the franchise.

This is what annoys me, it's the attitude of "Pft! We don't need you people who bought the other DMCs, see how wrong you are for liking old Dante? Get with the program! Want you want is story. And a new younger, hipper, cooler Dante." :smug:

AccountingNightmare posted:

I've seen plenty of people comment, "Screw the whiners, I don't even like Devil May Cry but I'm gonna buy this game cause it looks awesome." Meanwhile the game seems to be doing all it can to repel DMC fans. :psyduck: I wish this game wasn't so far away still. I want it to just come out so we can see if it's good or bad, and then hopefully move on to anticipating DMC5.

Well, they've got 30 weeks from this date, to finish polishing up the combat. My prediction is that it will be playable, but nothing spectacular. Good for an action game, but subpar for a DMC.
And their much vaunted story will be absolute shite.

If I'm wrong about it, then I'll happily admit it. Though from what we've seen so far, I doubt it.

Fonzarelli posted:

I plan to play this game and enjoy it, and also simultaneously enjoy the original Devil May Cry Series, and Bayonetta.

Eat it, nerds :smug:

How dare you take a completely acceptable viewpoint! :argh:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I like the contrast between this guy and the guys involved with Dragon's Dogma's pre-release interviews and streams.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
How so? Sorry, I don't know a great deal about Dragon's Dogma :shobon:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 16, 2012

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Is the Dragon's Dogma guy the one who called Monster Hunter "button mashing"? I know someone at Capcom said something like that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
This guy calling DmC's dissenters children and the general tone about criticism, mostly.

Dragon's Dogma had a lot of streams with actual developers on hand to answer commenters' questions, on the Capcom Unity site. They took everything in stride and didn't start talking down to us or going into damage control whenever something was criticized. They even used one of the DMC guys (the combat designer, I think) being on the team as a selling point.

The important part is that they didn't portray themselves as douchebags who missed the point in interviews.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wonder if its the same shithead that ran the Capcom euro twitter, the one that blamed the fans for Legends 3 cancellation.

And honestly, Capcom's been like this for awhile, it has nothing to do with dissenters, simply put their old audience just doesn't matter anymore, they are a company obsessed with Call of Duty numbers but have no clue how to achieve them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The only thing I really know about how lovely Capcom can be is about their lovely on-disc DLC practices.

Schubalts posted:

Dragon's Dogma had a lot of streams with actual developers on hand to answer commenters' questions, on the Capcom Unity site. They took everything in stride and didn't start talking down to us or going into damage control whenever something was criticized. They even used one of the DMC guys (the combat designer, I think) being on the team as a selling point.

The important part is that they didn't portray themselves as douchebags who missed the point in interviews.

This is the biggest problem with NT and Capcom in how they've presented DMC. I mean it started off bad with that very first trailer, and the massive, massive negative response, which they then subsequently tried to downplay. Then all the digs at Dante, Bayonetta, etc, and their really lovely attitudes in general.

And the smug "well we know what we're talking about, we're an auteur game developer" type attitude. The subtle implication that we aren't smart enough to see their grand vision, and appreciate the effect they think it'll have on the way video game stories are played and told.

[e]: It'll probably be even more of a footnote in the DMC series than DMC2. At least DMC2 had some innovative combat stuff they could use later - this one doesn't.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 16, 2012

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I'm gonna be honest, maybe the gameplay will be good as a "on its own" action game. Apart from NG3, which was lackluster, there hasn't been a whole lot of good action-hack'n'slash games lately (I also don't really consider Dragon Dogma in this)

I just know that I prefer the style DmC4 had, and I don't see where and why this reboot was necessary, I spent 3 games with the same character that I enjoy seeing despite the obvious cornyness at times.

I'm not saying the story of DmC 1 to 4 is absolutely amazing, I just like the original Dante's attitude and style, and I don't understand where it was required to make a totally new "universe".

Heck this one just smells like one of those spin-offs everyone will forget about and never mention again as the serie will begin anew with DmC 5 for the next-generation.

I won't lie I'll probably rent it to see the combat in action, but I don't have high hopes for this.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 17, 2012

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

BobbyBaudoin posted:

I won't lie I'll probably rent it to see the combat in action, but I don't have high hopes for this.

I completely forgot you could rent games. I was trying to figure out some way to play it without buying it so I could see if it had anything innovative in it.

Seriously, how did I forget you could rent games.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I never realized that Nero didn't stop playing air guitar when doing his S rank taunt unless you make him stop.

My hatred for this reboot has now been magnified a thousand fold.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DMC: Dante Haters Have Nothing To Fear - Ninja Theory posted:

Ninja Theory dismiss Devil May Cry fans' fears over changes to Dante, claiming DMC is a 'worthy entry into the world'.

Published on Jun 21, 2012

DMC: Devil May Cry developer Ninja Theory as renewed its claim that fans have nothing to worry about when it comes to the changes it is making.

Speaking at E3, Ninja Theory's creative director Tameem Antoniades, detailing how it was important to see the game and its story as a whole.

"I think what was important for me was that we should get the game right," said Tameem, "nail the gameplay and have a world that feels consistent and real when you’re playing it.

"So when we announced it," he continued, "we didn’t really show any gameplay, we didn’t show the world and we didn’t show the reason why he was different."

Now that development has been underway for a while, Tameem mentions how playtesters aren't noticing any problems with Dante.

"We’ve actually had people have hands-on and start playing through from the beginning and getting into the story," he said, "they haven’t really had that reaction or, if they have, it’s kind of been alleviated.

So will fans fears be allayed the more of this new Dante they see?

"So I’m hoping the more we show, the more it’ll feel like ‘actually, this is a worthy – but different – kind of entry into the DMC world’.

"And you don’t need to know anything about DMC to get into it," he added, before confirming there will be "plenty there to draw you back in" if you're an existing series fan.

Source: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1442948/dmc_dante_haters_have_nothing_to_fear_ninja_theory.html

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 21, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
And another interview:

quote:

After being well and truly impressed by DmC during my hands-on time with Capcom and Ninja’s Theory’s high action title, I was fortunate enough to be able to absorb some additional Devil May Cry information and get even more impressions of the game at a presentation hosted by none other than studio head Tameem Antoniades.

The presentation focussed on the combat of Devil May Cry, with the use of protagonist Dante’s ‘Ebony and Ivory’ pistols as well as ‘Rebellion’ and his new Angel and Demon weapons, the scythe and axe, which also enable the game’s ‘Angel Lift’ and ‘Demon Pull’ abilities (as I learned about while playing earlier in the day).

We saw a mission that Tameem says is roughly halfway through DmC, set in a world where the demons run everything, from the media to the financial system… and even the city’s hottest club. This particular club is run by a demon called ‘Lillith,’ and it’s the club’s purpose to convert members of high society in the human world into demon collaborators.

After making a brutal entrance, Dante saunters into the club which is bumping with tons of patrons. This being the world of DmC, however, the demons soon pull Dante into the alternate world of Limbo, effectively removing the human element so Lillith can send wave after wave of demonic enemy at us in a series of psychedelic arenas and on surreal floating platforms, all set to a thumping dance-rock soundtrack.

As discussed in our hands-on preview, the combat of DmC is super stylish and encourages the use of chained attacks and combinations to rack up a score and multiplayer, all in an effort to achieve the very best rating (based on a letter grade all the way to the coveted ‘SSS’ rank). A huge range of sword attacks can be combined with Dante’s pistols, Angel scythe and Demon axe weapons with the ability to juggle enemies in the air.

Once in the player’s control, a demon is helpless to your barrage of attacks and is really at your whim – lifting yourself up to attack an enemy in mid-air with Angel Lift, pulling it down to the ground again with Demon Pull, pumping that creature full of lead with Ebony and Ivory and carrying out intricate combo attacks with Dante’s armoury is all pulled off effortlessly and looks incredible.

Enemies can be attacked in different stages, too, like a new flying creature introduced at E3 that can have its wings shot off to send it crashing to the ground before being subjected to a flurry of ground attacks. In addition, there are other enemies like the ‘Rage’ demons which, when paired up together, co-ordinate attacks and become tougher. If you manage to kill one of the pair of enemies, the other will become enraged making it impossible to stagger it after an attack – crucial to opening enemies up to further attacks.

In the club scene level on show, Dante needs to fight through a gauntlet of challenges and increasingly difficult enemies to ‘win an audience’ with Lillith, and as we made our way up the disco-floor walkways and suspended floors, the ‘Malice Mechanic’ of the game was once again in full effect as the world twisted, warped and transformed before our eyes. Colours and movement pulsated with the beat of the music and Lillith added an extra challenge to the gameplay, too.

At any time, players can modify their combat style to Angel (to use the scythe and Angel Lift) or Demon (to use the axe and Demon Pull) with the left or right trigger on the controller, but in this particular level Lillith converts certain blocks of the floor to automatically trigger Dante’s Angel and Demon abilities, effectively forcing us to make use of these abilities depending on where we were standing – a very clever and mind-bending challenge!

Tameem pointed out something rather interesting during the demo, too, pointing out that we will be encouraged to play DmC in different ways, completing levels for style ranking (dispatching enemies with the most points), for completion (collecting all of the hidden items) or speed (finishing the level in the fastest time) - a range of choices that he says have been a tradition of Devil May Cry games.

Dante’s ‘Devil Trigger Mode’ was also showcased, where Dante “goes full demon” with white hair. In this mode, and after building up your Devil Trigger meter by destroying demons, you’ll be much faster and more powerful, while you’ll also regenerate all of your previously lost health.

Once Dante reached the end of his gauntlet of challenges, we came to the end of the demo and Tameem noted that, with the help of Capcom, there’s a great focus on making the combat of DmC tight and rewarding, going all the way down to the individual frame level - a level of gameplay detail usually reserved for competitive fighting games!

Ninja Theory, on the other hand, is instrumental in realising the world and story of the game, telling the tale of Dante and his rebellious, formative years and “how he becomes what he ends up becoming.”

More guff:

quote:

With that, the floor was opened to questions and I got right down to it:

El33tonline: What would you say is the essence of a Ninja Theory game and how are you bringing that to DmC? Capcom is an Eastern company and you’re obviously a Western company – how have those two philosophies come together?

Tameem Antoniades: “I think for us it’s… cinematic, it’s about making games that feel like big action films. We have, I think, quite a European art style which involves a lot of colour. I think those have been our hallmarks – storytelling, cinematics and action, which is why Capcom Japan approached us.”

El33tonline: Is the main city that we’ve seen in DmC based on any real-world location? It appears very European with lots of graffiti in there too, while there are hints of Los Angeles as well.

Tameem Antoniades: “It’s based on, kind of, Parisian and Italian gothic architecture, so it feels more like that, I think. There’s also a street art element and a Berlin vibe, so that level is based on Berlin clubs, where you go into a backstreet and there’s just graffiti and you can’t tell it’s a club, but you go inside and there’s a massive rave. So it’s all kind of based on mostly European locales… I’m not sure where you got Los Angeles…”

El33tonline: That one sequence on the pier with the Ferris wheel?

Tameem Antoniades: “Ah yeah, yeah - so that’s effectively Santa Monica Pier! But it’s not specifically stated where [DmC takes place] on Earth.”

Question: Will we see the background of other characters and where they came from?

Tameem Antoniades: “Yeah, we will introduce a few characters and there will be other characters that people are familiar with.”

El33tonline: Ninja Theory is known for its animation and especially the facial animation of its games, can you talk about the animation system in DmC carrying on from Enslaved and Heavenly Sword?

Tameem Antoniades: “Yeah, so we developed that further and we started our own R&D team to work on better facial expressions. For [DmC] we used Giant Studios which had just come off the heels of Avatar, so we used all of the same setup that they used for Avatar and a lot of the same boom guys who just jumped in at the back after James Cameron did all the work.

We have Alex Garland as a story consultant on [DmC] so he’s helped us with the writing – he’s the 28 Days Later and Sunshine guy.

So we’ve continued our trait but we haven’t really pushed [animation] on this game because everyone’s worry is ‘Can you make a good action game with that kind of combat’ so that’s where our focus is. Going forward I think we’ll show more of the other characters and story and the world.”

El33tonline: Can you talk a little bit about the technology powering the transformations of the levels in DmC, because we’ve never seen anything like it in a game before, it’s incredible. So can you talk a little bit about what kind of development went into that - research, that kind of thing?

Tameem Antoniades: “It all actually started with Capcom asking us justify why ‘demon doors’ appear in Devil May Cry – why when you go into a room do demon doors appear? So then we thought, ‘OK, maybe there’s something sentient in the world, some demon influence in the world that tries to trap you.’ So if it’s sentient, maybe it’s alive and it’s got blood in it, so it pops out enemies like white blood cells. And that went on to ‘Maybe it’s got a low intelligence,’ so you see demon messages appear.

It all kind of just evolved during development. The technology is just lots of hard, hard work with animation.”

Source: http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2012/6/20/e3_2012_devil_may_cry/

And this is the previous hands-on the guy was writing about :

quote:

“So this is the fifth iteration of DmC in the franchise history,” the Capcom representative began while introducing the latest Devil May Cry game to me ahead of my hands-on time with the title at E3 2012.

“This is very much a rebirth and a re-imagination of the DmC story,” he continued.

“So not a reboot,” I rudely interjected.

Without missing a beat, the Capcom rep repeated:

“A re-imagination. A rebirth of the DmC story. It’s not necessarily canon or in chronological order or anything like that. It’s a re-telling of [DmC protagonist] Dante’s story in the early years, the origins of him as a character.”

Ignore the Capcom rep, a reboot and reimagining are basically the same thing. Similar characters in a similar situation. No-one in their right mind would say that The Dark Knight is a "reimagining" of the 1960s Batman, it's a reboot. Plain and simple.

quote:

“OK” I said, satisfied with this answer.

While story has remained an important part of the Devil May Cry series, the games’ signature sword and gunplay enemy juggling gameplay has always been front and centre and its introduction with the original game on PlayStation 2 in 2001 was about as near to an action game revolution as the popularisation of over-the-shoulder aiming and the cover system – just as important, but nowhere near as ubiquitous.

Being a big fan of the franchise, I was very excited to finally get to play DmC from Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword, Enslaved) and see how the studio’s focus on narrative and story in its previous titles had carried over to its latest action game.

(Unfortunately I didn’t catch the name of the British fellow demoing Ninja Theory’s Devil May Cry to me, so please forgive the constant references to ‘the Capcom rep’ – if I find his name, I’ll update the article).

Right off the bat, it’s clear that the combat and gameplay of DmC is just as fast, fluid and satisfying to perform as ever before with a few slight refinements and major additions to keep the action intense. The focus is still on chaining together strings of attacks allowing you to move from a series of intricate sword slashes to firing rounds of explosive gunfire before sweeping your enemy into the air, jumping up to meet it and then smashing it down back into the ground with wince-inducing power.

Capcom and Ninja Theory seem to have succeeded in their attempt to allow for ‘accessible depth’ to introduce new players to DmC, while still giving franchise veterans ways to dig even further into the possible suite of attacks and actions to put together mesmerising and elaborate chains of enemy destruction.

Set in the a place called Limbo City, I got to run around an area that looked inspired by real-world European locations with gothic architecture and graffiti splattered all over the walls. In DmC, Dante is being hunted by the demon underworld and have taken control of the world as we know it. The demons are constantly trying to kill Dante in his world by pulling him into ‘limbo,’ which manifests as a warped and continuously transforming environment.

I’ve never seen anything quite like the real-time world deformation on display in DmC. Using what the developers call the ‘Malice Mechanic,’ it’s not uncommon to be running down a seemingly innocent archway before the walls collapse in on themselves, bricks break from mortar, pillars contort into obstacles and the very floor beneath you cracks, crumbles and falls away. The demons truly are doing their best to do Dante untold harm and every motion of this transforming world feels controlled by hatred and evil intent.

When the walls aren’t trying to do you in, you’ll need to help Dante survive against waves of hideous creatures and demons, easily done by making use of his Angel and Demon powers. Activated by holding the control’s left trigger, you can at any time pull out Dante’s Angel scythe to do great damage to large groups of enemies with large sweeping attacks, while the Demon axe (activated by holding the right trigger) can do massive damage in a smaller radius, and is quite a bit slower than the scythe.

These powers don’t stop there, either, and Dante can use an Angel Lift ability to shoot out a virtuous grapple at an enemy to pull himself towards that creature, as well as a Demon Pull which ejects a demonic attachment out to pull enemies towards yourself. These simple tools alone have enormous potential for gameplay and make chaining together attacks a breeze. After smacking an enemy into the air, you could use Angel Lift to instantly travel up to it before striking it further into the stratosphere. You could use Angel Lift again to continue the chain or send it careening back to earth with Demon Pull.

Bring Dante’s Ebony and Ivory pistols into the mix, and you’ve got almost everything you need to stomp enemies with maximum authority, all while taking advantage of Dante’s lightning quick evasion manoeuvre (both on the ground and in the air) to ensure you yourself aren’t stomped into the ground.

To reward you for your attack chains, DmC will once again include a ranking system but will this time make how you achieve a particular rank (from ‘A’ to ‘D’ to ‘S’ and more) much more transparent than previous games. Essentially, the more varied and extravagant your attack combinations, the better your score will become and the better ranking you’ll achieve in the end. Whether or not you’ll be able to compare your ranking per level or encounter to others online via a leaderboard system is still up in the air, and the Capcom rep wasn’t able to comment.

Angel Lift and Demon Pull are also used for environment traversal and to solve basic puzzles. In the demo, I needed to use Angel Lift at a specific location on a ledge to lift myself up to that area, while Demon Pull on another point effectively pulled a platform out for me to which I could then jump across. DmC uses the series’ standard double-jump system to reach higher areas, while an additional ‘dash’ (or Angel Glide) move will get you across larger gaps in the world.

To mix up your combat encounters, some enemies can only be damaged with Angelic or Demonic attacks, so for example, using Demon Pull on a glowing red enemy to stun that creature before opening your shoulders and hacking it to bits will be a required tactic. Add to the fight flying and floating enemies as well as demons of different sizes, strengths and speeds – not to mention the chance to effortlessly chain combos together - and encounters become manic battles for survival.

I also couldn’t help but notice just how sharp DmC looked in the build of the game I played – in addition to the incredible ‘Malice Mechanic’ world transformation, the warm glow of sunlight flooded the city streets beautifully and the intricately detailed environment lent a very real sense of place to the game. Enemies, meanwhile, emerge from swirling puddles of inky blackness and burst in explosions of black liquid and body parts once banished.

As expected of a Ninja Theory game, the animations of DmC are exceptionally smooth and detailed, too – sword spins, scythe swipes and axe hacks are imbued with weight and, at the same time, finesse, while Dante himself will at times seem to become overbalanced for a second after a particularly intense flurry of attacks.

DmC from Capcom and Ninja Theory is still months away from release, but the gameplay I experienced and the world I explored in the demo at this early stage is already exceptional. My only concern at present is how long encounters last (they could stand to be cut short by a few beats) and the need for a perfect sense of mixing and matching between enemies during these encounters to provide for more of a ‘sandbox’ approach to combat.

There’s still plenty of time before release and we’re sure to hear lots more about DmC in the coming months.

Source: http://www.el33tonline.com/past_article/2012/6/20/devil_may_cry_handson_preview/

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Ugh, I hate how gushy previews always are. Its hard to take seriously. I guess they have to be gushy because who's going to invite the one guy who trashed the game he was previewing.

Its just such bullshit, though. Previewers always acknowledge and agree with whatever decisions the developers made because they loving have to. If I read one more article about a previewer who "Was never into Devil May Cry but the new DmC has him interested so they must be doing something right!!!" I'm going to throw up.

The best example I can think of was when they changed the multiplayer mode in Splinter Cell in... Double Agent I think from the super awesome and popular Mercs versus Spies to the generic bullshit they added, every single loving preview for it was like "Yeah, you know what maybe the multiplayer was too complicated in the previous games!" even though practically no one thought that. But the previewers just have to say that because they have to agree with everything the developers say about their dumb game.

Its just hard to take video game previews seriously when I've not seen a single negative preview for a game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Calihan posted:

The interview is just another example of such. Ignoring what the customer want and screaming back at them what they SHOULD want to the point of cramming it down their throats. It sounds like some sort of radical marketing gimmick but I cannot for the life of me work out the point of it.

Simpsons had a good name for it in that boy band parody episode.

"Extra-liminal advertising" is what it was called.

Also, that picture showing how the original character design matched the lead dev of Ninja Theory's face almost par for par needs to be posted on every page. It's seriously the most hilarious thing about this "reboot".

Well, that, and Ninja Theory came out a few months ago with an ashamed comment about how apparently their game is liable to not effect the real Dante and DMC games coming back, and there's talk at Capcom already of their reboot being shoved into a quiet corner. Apparently it's already been relegated to the status of "alternate continuity" according to comments at Capcom.

Which says to me that Capcom and especially Ninja Theory know this is going to be a stinker, and are desperately trying to get people to pick it up on day one, what with all the "YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND MY VISION" crap they've pulled.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 21, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ChewyLSB posted:

Its just such bullshit, though. Previewers always acknowledge and agree with whatever decisions the developers made because they loving have to. If I read one more article about a previewer who "Was never into Devil May Cry but the new DmC has him interested so they must be doing something right!!!" I'm going to throw up.

The good side (and what Capcom is hoping) is that it'll encourage people to try out the series (and thus give them more money in sales of both this and the HD collection). And that is good because hopefully it'll make some more people try out DMC.

The flip-side of the coin is that they try out the other DMCs and are put off by the difficulty (let's face it, some of the moves they've revealed have broken any sense of difficulty for DmC) or character, and the design.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 21, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The way that Capcom keep hand waving the term "reboot" away is irritating to me. It's so wishy-washy and stinks of a bitter backpedaling campaign for years to come.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

The way that Capcom keep hand waving the term "reboot" away is irritating to me. It's so wishy-washy and stinks of a bitter backpedaling campaign for years to come.

I suppose because "reboot" implies that they would no longer wish to continue with the regular series. It's annoying that they've been so vague on something so simple. I mean, some people are still convinced this is a prequel to the regular series.

And Capcom have got a brilliant scape-goat in Ninja Theory if it turns out to be a disaster.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 21, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

wildzero posted:

I maintain the worst single decision in DMC4 is that Credo isn't included in the Boss Rush for some stupid reason, so you have to play through his dumb level to fight him. Or go through 60 (?) levels of the Bloody Palace.

Which is really a shame, since my reason for putting in the game the last couple times has been to do the Boss Rush. They're just so much fun! :3:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The farthest I've gotten with Dante in Bloody Palace Mode is the fight against Credo. You don't fight him in the main game as Dante, and there's no easy way to get to him apart from the 60+ level grind in BP, so by the time I reach him, I've forgotten his attack patterns and how to counter them :sigh:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 22, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Only a minor thing I found at the bottom of an article:

quote:

[In the disco] Dante runs across certain floor panels that will damage him. The player must hold RT while walking across "angel" platforms and LT across "demon" ones. At first it looks easy, but then the demo requires Dante to combine these actions with combat simultaneously, resulting in an obvious technical challenge.

Meanwhile, hidden areas will encourage a players to replay levels in the style of the original Devil May Cry.

Source: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1417587/dmc_combat_limbo_with_ninja_theorys_devil_may_cry_e3.html

So yeah, it seems like secret missions will make a reappearance. And there was an interview with Tameem Antonides where he stated that gold orbs would be in the game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Good news guys, some news that will save the game and make you like it, a soundtrack sample.

http://soundcloud.com/noisia/noisia-devil-may-cry-soundtrack-sample

Dubstep and weak industrial/ebm. AWESOME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Good news guys, some news that will save the game and make you like it, a soundtrack sample.

http://soundcloud.com/noisia/noisia-devil-may-cry-soundtrack-sample

Dubstep and weak industrial/ebm. AWESOME.

"You don't gently caress with a god". So edgy, can't wait to play grimdark: the game. :what: I'm usually okay with dubstep in small amounts, but can't say I would ever want it in a game, especially DmC.

• Locked thread