Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think I want to try that. How long under the broiler, or do you just eyeball it?

Would pressure cooking chicken thighs take about the same amount of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

I think I want to try that. How long under the broiler, or do you just eyeball it?

Would pressure cooking chicken thighs take about the same amount of time?

probably a bit less, but honestly chicken thighs aren't as tough a cut as duck. I'd probably just roast those in a hot oven under the same time constraints.

and yeah just eyeball with the broiler. always eyeball with the broiler. the second you turn your back to something cooking under a broiler on high, you're about 89% more likely to end up with a charred husk of carbon as your main course.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mindphlux posted:

and yeah just eyeball with the broiler. always eyeball with the broiler. the second you turn your back to something cooking under a broiler on high, you're about 89% more likely to end up with a charred husk of carbon as your main course.

It is a known fact that ovens gain sentience when set to broil and will set themselves to cremate the moment you turn your back.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I bought a mini oven because my main oven has one of those broilers that's on the bottom and has no window. When I broiled with it, it was either opening it up every 30 seconds and checking or else it would come out vulcanized.

edit: VVVV hmm, maybe I should've tried that

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 21, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, I bought a mini oven because my main oven has one of those broilers that's on the bottom and has no window. When I broiled with it, it was either opening it up every 30 seconds and checking or else it would come out vulcanized.

I used to have one of those bottom-no-window broilers. I would just lie on my stomach with the door open and watch the food cook with a flashlight. seriously.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
IT IS TOO HOT TO SEE WHAT THE CHRIST I am going to attempt a meal of rice and beans and see if Mexican beer will lift my spirits (pro tip: my left hand lifts my spirits, in more ways than one, HEYOOO).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What constitutes "too hot to see"?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What constitutes "too hot to see"?
Me.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
That pressure cooked duck sounds like something you should try experimenting with a bit. I don't have a pressure cooker yet, but would definitely be something I'd want to try when I got one.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

I used to have one of those bottom-no-window broilers. I would just lie on my stomach with the door open and watch the food cook with a flashlight. seriously.

This is what I do, until i forget to lock the dog up first and he decides to try and wrestle me next to the open oven.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

bunnielab posted:

This is what I do, until i forget to lock the dog up first and he decides to try and wrestle me next to the open oven.

So something like this?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

I don't know why this makes me think of this, but I was looking at combi ovens the other day, and stumbled across a Rational model built for prisons. my favorite feature was that these ovens featured a locking system that had an internal mechanical lock release. you know, so if an inmate decided to deliver some serious street justice in the mess hall, at least the chump shoved inside the oven would have a halfway reasonable chance of surviving.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm trying to go gluten-free since I think I have an intolerance and Christ almighty it is not a simple task. Why must gluten free foods be so darned expensive or require a bajillion weird ingredients?!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Toriori posted:

I'm trying to go gluten-free since I think I have an intolerance and Christ almighty it is not a simple task. Why must gluten free foods be so darned expensive or require a bajillion weird ingredients?!

Because "going gluten free" is a fad. A surprisingly low number of people who claim to be self diagnosed celiac or intolerant actually are. You probably just need to eat more vegetables.

Also, lol @ "weird ingredients". "OH NO CHEMICALSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!" :rolleyes:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Toriori posted:

Have you gone to a doctor because you should go to a doctor.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Have you gone to a doctor because you should go to a doctor.

Yeah, he said I might have a gluten intolerance and to try cutting it out for a week or two to see how I feel. All I could think of was a girl I was in university with who was the same and always just ate salad with salt and pepper on it. I don't buy it but I guess I'll just give it the old college try.

GrAviTy84 It's just different to me, and it's just weird in the sense that they're ingredients I haven't had to use before.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

From a Mayo Clinic article:

“My hypothesis was, ‘We’re now really looking, so we’re finding what was always there,’” he says.

After joining Mayo, Dr. Murray decided to research the long-term effects of this “hidden” celiac disease. To do so, he needed to identify people who lived for decades with undiagnosed gluten intolerance. As it turns out, just up the road in Minneapolis lay a gold mine of information: A collection of blood samples taken from Air Force recruits in the early 1950s amid concern about streptococcus outbreaks in barracks.

...Dr. Murray’s team tested the 50-year-old blood for gluten antibodies, assuming that 1 percent would be positive — the same as today’s rate of celiac disease. But the number of positive results was far smaller, indicating that celiac disease was extremely rare among those young airmen. Surprised, the researchers compared those results with two recently collected sets from Olmsted County, Minn. One blood-sample set matched the birth years of the airmen. Those elderly men were four times likelier to have celiac disease than their contemporaries tested 50 years earlier. The second set matched the ages of the airmen at the time their blood was drawn. Today’s young men were 4.5 times likelier to have celiac disease than the 1950s recruits.

“This tells us that whatever has happened with celiac disease has happened since 1950,” Dr. Murray says. “This increase has affected young and old people. It suggests something has happened in a pervasive fashion from the environmental perspective.”

tl;dr Gluten intolerance is on the rise, and it's not because our detection methods are better. Also, the tests are notorious for false negatives.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

From a Mayo Clinic article:

“My hypothesis was, ‘We’re now really looking, so we’re finding what was always there,’” he says.

After joining Mayo, Dr. Murray decided to research the long-term effects of this “hidden” celiac disease. To do so, he needed to identify people who lived for decades with undiagnosed gluten intolerance. As it turns out, just up the road in Minneapolis lay a gold mine of information: A collection of blood samples taken from Air Force recruits in the early 1950s amid concern about streptococcus outbreaks in barracks.

...Dr. Murray’s team tested the 50-year-old blood for gluten antibodies, assuming that 1 percent would be positive — the same as today’s rate of celiac disease. But the number of positive results was far smaller, indicating that celiac disease was extremely rare among those young airmen. Surprised, the researchers compared those results with two recently collected sets from Olmsted County, Minn. One blood-sample set matched the birth years of the airmen. Those elderly men were four times likelier to have celiac disease than their contemporaries tested 50 years earlier. The second set matched the ages of the airmen at the time their blood was drawn. Today’s young men were 4.5 times likelier to have celiac disease than the 1950s recruits.

“This tells us that whatever has happened with celiac disease has happened since 1950,” Dr. Murray says. “This increase has affected young and old people. It suggests something has happened in a pervasive fashion from the environmental perspective.”

tl;dr Gluten intolerance is on the rise, and it's not because our detection methods are better. Also, the tests are notorious for false negatives.

I'm not nice to people because I'm a nice person. I'm nice to people because I'm terrified of being vicious to someone and it turns out that I'm wrong.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Toriori posted:

Yeah, he said I might have a gluten intolerance and to try cutting it out for a week or two to see how I feel.
Did he say you might have a gluten intolerance or did you ask him if you might have a gluten intolerance. Because in the latter case he might have just been saying that to get you out of his exam room.

That said, I do hope your dietary change results in you feeling better. I'm not a monster.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The most often-cited number is 1 in 100 (which is not that rare if true), but my suspicion is that a lot of false positives are people who are actually sensitive or allergic to things that are put in gluten containing meals, and not people inventing symptoms

For example, I suddenly became violently allergic to mustard several months ago. Turns out mustard is in mustard spread (duh), pickled peppers, pickles, sausages, deli meats, barbeque sauces, some buffalo sauce blends, some mayonnaises, some balsamic vinaigrettes, and A TON of seasonings (tandoori powder, curry, old bay, montreal steak + chicken, jamaican jerk,). Also, most sushi places (unless you are shelling out serious cash) don't actually serve Wasabi, they serve horseradish mixed up with cornstarch, mustard, and green food coloring.

Most of these ingredients are used in meals that include bread, rolls, wraps, or naan, so someone allergic to mustard (me) could continually get false positives if i kept on getting 'sick after eating gluten'. That's not even getting into cross contamination from dirty knives, cooking gear, or unwashed workspaces.

God help you if you have a soy allergy, that poo poo is in EVERYTHING as a filler or binder.

I don't think people are inventing reactions, it's just that in america's wheat-centric diet it's the most obvious common link and what a lot of people try first when they're looking for relief from symptoms, and in simplifying their diet, they tend to eliminate a lot of other allergens and sensitivities.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

bombhand posted:

Did he say you might have a gluten intolerance or did you ask him if you might have a gluten intolerance. Because in the latter case he might have just been saying that to get you out of his exam room.

That said, I do hope your dietary change results in you feeling better. I'm not a monster.

No, I just explained a few things that didn't feel right at a check-up, we just did some process of elimination stuff but since I don't smoke, drink and exercise regularly he just suggested that might be it and try the whole "cut something different out every two weeks" to see if it's what I'm eating and just said to start with gluten. Because I don't eat a lot of meat and eat a lot of grains, it's a weird transition.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The most often-cited number is 1 in 100 (which is not that rare if true), but my suspicion is that a lot of false positives are people who are actually sensitive or allergic to things that are put in gluten containing meals, and not people inventing symptoms

This is not what a false positive is this is someone being a moron about monitoring what they eat and self-diagnosing incorrectly. A false positive is when you are administered a test and the result comes back negative when it should be positive.

Toriori posted:

No, I just explained a few things that didn't feel right at a check-up, we just did some process of elimination stuff but since I don't smoke, drink and exercise regularly he just suggested that might be it and try the whole "cut something different out every two weeks" to see if it's what I'm eating and just said to start with gluten. Because I don't eat a lot of meat and eat a lot of grains, it's a weird transition.

There's a test for celiac disease go make your doctor give it to you.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This is not what a false positive is this is someone being a moron about monitoring what they eat and self-diagnosing incorrectly. A false positive is when you are administered a test and the result comes back negative when it should be positive.

Actually a false positive is a positive result when a test should be negative. This can happen when a person is legitimately allergic to some compound, let's call it PEANUTS, and they eat a small portion of PEANUTS, and are tested for like a hundred things and show allergic to loving ALL OF THEM. This is common. This is a false positive. hth

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

Actually a false positive is a positive result when a test should be negative. This can happen when a person is legitimately allergic to some compound, let's call it PEANUTS, and they eat a small portion of PEANUTS, and are tested for like a hundred things and show allergic to loving ALL OF THEM. This is common. This is a false positive. hth

Durrr, yes, I wrote that backwards, you're obviously right and that is what I meant!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

i should add. ricola is fcking right as hell abotu the celiac test. get it you fuckign idiot.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
Chiming in late to agree that asking your doctor for an allergy test may be a good thing. Of course, go with whatever your doctor says, none of us are MDs. (I think)

Pricewise, buying all-new food is probably close to what the allergy test itself would run.

At least if you're doing it for several weeks, which is what many places recommend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elimination_diet

The misery of completely changing your style of eating to deprive yourself of your usual foods, cold turkey, is also a factor. Like the girl you mentioned who just ate salads.

At least, speaking from my experience with the confusion that is allergies, it was far more worth it and not any more expensive to get the blood test to find out that I was allergic to completely different things than I suspected.

tl;dr Obviously do whatever your doctor says, personal anecdote that having lab tests was a good choice for me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Though, remember that lots of doctors are susceptible to stupid fads and are willing to say things like "oh hey it may be this thing that we don't have any evidence for whatsoever but it can't hurt" while they take your money and shuffle you away. Good doctors prove things with tests and facts.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of which, still no word on what the gently caress is causing my intestines to swell like balloons. it's apparently not cancer (thank goodness), but may yet be some sort of allergy or crohn's. which sucks I guess. =( more expensive rear end diagnostic procedures to come.

real life talk in da forums aw yeah

still convinced I'll just kill myself if it has anything to do with a food allergy

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

speaking of which, still no word on what the gently caress is causing my intestines to swell like balloons. it's apparently not cancer (thank goodness), but may yet be some sort of allergy or crohn's. which sucks I guess. =( more expensive rear end diagnostic procedures to come.

still convinced I'll just kill myself if it has anything to do with a food allergy

Not saying this is or isn't related to you, but I found it interesting, especially with how much fad cleanse diets promote probiotics as the cure all to bowel problems.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120525103354.htm

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

mindphlux posted:

Eat more prunes!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Toriori posted:

Why must gluten free foods be so darned expensive or require a bajillion weird ingredients?!

that applies pretty much exclusively to things that are meant to imitate gluten. give up on bread and look at ethnic foods, most of them don't require/involve much gluten.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
How common is gluten allergy actually?

Gluten allergics can't even drink beer - right?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
they can drink rice beer

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

How common is gluten allergy actually?

Gluten allergics can't even drink beer - right?

I'm not saying I have an allergy to gluten, but if I do, my symptoms involve defecating rivers of yellowish watery poo poo, and constantly having abdominal discomfort.

which totally isn't the end of the world, it's been like this for years for me.

if whatever is wrong with me ends up being a gluten allergy, A. I'm living proof that it's entirely possible to drink beer, and B. it only reconfirms in my head that anyone who claims a gluten allergy is a loving nutzo. If a fear of watery poo poo and some cramps is what gives you that 'DEATHLY allergy to gluten!! no I can't even have anything on a plate that was near bread', then I don't even know what to say to you.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The symptoms and sensitivity is different for everyone.

I don't doubt that a lot of morons are going gluten free for another fad diet but people are actually severely allergic to it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
:cool: Hmm I wonder what's going on this fine morning in GWS, I hope there's more talk of tasty foods and mouth watering recipes...

mindphlux posted:

defecating rivers of yellowish watery poo poo, a

:barf:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I actually just got back from a meeting with my immunologist (one of the Directors of Immunology at an Ivy League, super smart guy) and we were discussing whether or not I am gluten intolerant.

My blood test was negative, which he said is inconclusive. The conversation went like this:

confirmation of celiacs is a blood test, endoscopy, and a biopsy, none of which are 100% conclusive. Also, they're finding overlaps between grass allergies and gluten intolerances since wheat is part of the grass family, which I have severe (off the chart) reactions to.

My response was: "So I can pay a shitload of money for inconclusive testing while possibly making myself sick...or I can not eat bread?"

He also said purely from an anecdotal standpoint most of his patients do better on a gluten free diet.

Now, my take on the whole situation is:

gluten intolerance causes long term damage to your intestines and can lead to cancer over time. everyday reactions are diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal pain, but day to day, it's usually not life threatening. It just makes you feel terrible. Immune reactions aren't strictly localized and they're finding that a triggered immune system leads to depression (which makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint kinda because it keeps you from straining yourself and makes you recover from your injury)

People with gluten intolerance avoid it because burning diarrhea is not entirely comfortable, and keeping your immune system constantly aggravated like that leads to a host of issues involved with escalating allergic response such as asthma and dermatitis (annoying) or anaphylaxis (fatal).

Also, sensitivities are different from true allergies, and are much more difficult to test for.

But by all means, go ahead and keep making fun of everybody you hear has gluten issues because a soccer mom somewhere stopped eating bread because she heard it was bad for her.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Oh, I did want to say that yes go to a doctor before you go gluten free because going gluten free is a huge and expensive pain in the rear end (and bread is delicious). Most insurance plans cover all the testing but none of the treatment.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I actually just got back from a meeting with my immunologist (one of the Directors of Immunology at an Ivy League, super smart guy) and we were discussing whether or not I am gluten intolerant.

My blood test was negative, which he said is inconclusive. The conversation went like this:

confirmation of celiacs is a blood test, endoscopy, and a biopsy, none of which are 100% conclusive. Also, they're finding overlaps between grass allergies and gluten intolerances since wheat is part of the grass family, which I have severe (off the chart) reactions to.

My response was: "So I can pay a shitload of money for inconclusive testing while possibly making myself sick...or I can not eat bread?"

He also said purely from an anecdotal standpoint most of his patients do better on a gluten free diet.

Now, my take on the whole situation is:

gluten intolerance causes long term damage to your intestines and can lead to cancer over time. everyday reactions are diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal pain, but day to day, it's usually not life threatening. It just makes you feel terrible. Immune reactions aren't strictly localized and they're finding that a triggered immune system leads to depression (which makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint kinda because it keeps you from straining yourself and makes you recover from your injury)

People with gluten intolerance avoid it because burning diarrhea is not entirely comfortable, and keeping your immune system constantly aggravated like that leads to a host of issues involved with escalating allergic response such as asthma and dermatitis (annoying) or anaphylaxis (fatal).

Also, sensitivities are different from true allergies, and are much more difficult to test for.

But by all means, go ahead and keep making fun of everybody you hear has gluten issues because a soccer mom somewhere stopped eating bread because she heard it was bad for her.

I think we make fun of it not only because of those people, but also because stuff like "He also said purely from an anecdotal standpoint most of his patients do better on a gluten free diet" is very silly and has all the marks of silly fad nonsense. Lots of "doctors" "said" "things" about "carbohydrates" several years ago along the same lines, and before that it was "fats" that "were" "bad" "for you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Oh, I did want to say that yes go to a doctor before you go gluten free because going gluten free is a huge and expensive pain in the rear end (and bread is delicious). Most insurance plans cover all the testing but none of the treatment.

Is the testing covered by your insurance plans? If it is, then it's kind of silly for you to not do the biopsy/endoscopy.