Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SeanBeansShako posted:

I hope the awful looking Scooby Doo Egyptians don't return though.

Yeah, yet another Greek clone to play as would be wonderful. How about they focus on fun rather than realism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Farecoal posted:

Yeah, yet another Greek clone to play as would be wonderful. How about they focus on fun rather than realism?

To ignore the cultural impacts of Greece and Alexander The Greats conquest would be plain stupid in a game set in the Classical era. I'm sorry you hate history.

Also, Greeco-Egyptian cultural wasn't that identical too. You seem to think you'll just get slightly browner phalanxes.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SeanBeansShako posted:

To ignore the cultural impacts of Greece and Alexander The Greats conquest would be plain stupid in a game set in the Classical era. I'm sorry you hate history.

:rolleyes: I love history, I play Paradox games a poo poo ton, but Total War seems, to me anyway, to be more about what's fun/cool* than historical. And about the "slightly browner phalanxes", isn't that exactly what RTW/EB did?

*See: defeating the Carthaginians with an army of greased pigs and dogs.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 21, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The point is though RTW's Egyptians were almost offensively dumb looking and cheesy to me.

I'm hoping non Roman factions get a little more research and detail this time around.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

The point is though RTW's Egyptians were almost offensively dumb looking and cheesy to me.

I'm hoping non Roman factions get a little more research and detail this time around.

I vaguely remember a Q&A or interview where a CA employee said something to the effects that they intentionally put in the anachronistic New Kingdom instead of the Ptolemaic Kingdom for the exact reason of avoiding "slightly browner phalanxes" because there were so many Alexandrian factions already and fans wanted ancient Egypt even if it wasn't 100% accurate.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Farecoal posted:

:rolleyes: I love history, I play Paradox games a poo poo ton, but Total War seems, to me anyway, to be more about what's fun/cool* than historical. And about the "slightly browner phalanxes", isn't that exactly what RTW/EB did?

This is another reason why I love Roma Surrectum, because the sheer number of units and the colourful designs on the shields and uniforms means you don't get this problem. That and the ridiculous number of mercs and regional troops.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

It's like the Egyptians in RTW were designed by someone who had no research material to work with except a DVD of "The Mummy".

I get "fun over realism" but when the game takes place in a certain historical time period it's stupid to literally transform an entire civilization into some bizarre poo poo that never existed just to shake things up.

Here are some other possible changes to history to make things more fun:
Total War: Three Kingdoms - All Chinese units kung-fu fight only, no weapons
Napoleon Total War - Empire of Russia is now the Soviet Union to provide more variety
Medieval Total War - New Italian unit, the "Mafia Hitmen". Just send them a target and "bada bing, bada bang!"
Empire Total War - All American units replaced with cowboys

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They could have made a Greeco-Egyptian faction at least vaguely better looking than generic stereotypes on chariots.

On a slightly different note I'm quite eager to see how they'd pull of the Naval Combat of the era too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

I vaguely remember a Q&A or interview where a CA employee said something to the effects that they intentionally put in the anachronistic New Kingdom instead of the Ptolemaic Kingdom for the exact reason of avoiding "slightly browner phalanxes" because there were so many Alexandrian factions already and fans wanted ancient Egypt even if it wasn't 100% accurate.

This.

Phalanxes are loving boring to fight and what was even more stupid was that because they couldn't get into formation on a city wall the best way to beat them was to force the AI into a series of city assaults.

I don't care that the Game Egyptians are in the wrong time period, I want to play a game that has a varied set of unique factions. It should be a unique experience fighting each nation.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

But fighting dumb looking chariots is equally boring?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Here are some other possible changes to history to make things more fun:
Total War: Three Kingdoms - All Chinese units kung-fu fight only, no weapons
Napoleon Total War - Empire of Russia is now the Soviet Union to provide more variety
Medieval Total War - New Italian unit, the "Mafia Hitmen". Just send them a target and "bada bing, bada bang!"
Empire Total War - All American units replaced with cowboys
What are you talking about. These are great ideas. I would totally play a Stereotype: Total War game.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
^^^^^ I unironically agree

SeanBeansShako posted:

But fighting dumb looking chariots is equally boring?

No it isn't, and how are they dumb looking?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Farecoal posted:

^^^^^ I unironically agree

No it isn't, and how are they dumb looking?

They are dumb looking because when they are action it turns into a circus.

It is clear at this point we both have completely different view points on what we want in Total War games and going on is going to just drag this topic down now so I'm shutting up.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Chariots are awesome end of discussion.

There's pretty much no way they aren't doing Rome next. It's one of their most popular titles and the only time period they haven't revisited yet. As much as I love Shogun 2 I'm ready for it. I miss elephants and slings and javelins and phalanxes and shields and war dogs and chariots and legions and all the crazy old world stuff Rome has to offer.

I'm slightly less jazzed about staring at yet another map of Europe but what can you do?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Still holding out hope for a Total War game about the early modern period. I want to see cavaliers in action, damnit! Tercios facing off Gustav's musketeers! Big floppy hats!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Zettace posted:

I would totally play a Stereotype: Total War game.
That's called Red Alert 3.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Medieval 3: Oh poo poo they've got Bear Cavalry!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I miss the goofy ninja Roman supermen who were just insanely retarded.

Speaking of which I love how nobodies talked about how ninjas/geisha assassins exist in Shogun 2 when they most certainly did not in real history.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farecoal posted:

*See: defeating the Carthaginians with an army of greased pigs and dogs.
RTW's Egyptians are simply a retarded thing. It's literally ignoring history. It's okay to add head hurling Celts and elite Urban Cohorts, that's not historical but it's not the end of the world. But to a lot of people (unfortunately) historical video games are one of the main sources of learning history. I had a guy asking me who was the Pharaoh during Alexander's conquests. He's in loving college!

Alchenar posted:

This.

Phalanxes are loving boring to fight and what was even more stupid was that because they couldn't get into formation on a city wall the best way to beat them was to force the AI into a series of city assaults.

I don't care that the Game Egyptians are in the wrong time period, I want to play a game that has a varied set of unique factions. It should be a unique experience fighting each nation.
That is all the game designer's fault. EB and RS give phalanxes good quality swords, meaning they're as useful in melee as in phalanx formation.

Plus, that's ignoring just how varied and rich the EB middle eastern experience was. The Ptolemy empire had light phalanxes supported by Nubians, native Egyptian assault troops and rear end kicking Galatian Gauls. Pontus was based on flexible phalanxes supported by Anatolian and Armenian light infantry and archers, with dreaded heavy cavalry supporting them. The Seleucids had everything from Macedonian classical Phalanxes to Jewish infantry to Iranian spearmen to Afgan axe wielding assault troops.

Even Macedonia itself was extremely varied. It's core was phalanx based but it had the support of a massive amount of cavalry and various Thracian, Greek, Gaul, Getai and other tribes' support.

It turns out that if you're not an inbreded ignorant that has gently caress all knowledge of history you could make a fascinating game based on the Classical era without resorting to Phalanx or Legionnaire only units :banjo:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I will buy Rome 2 day one if dogs of war and a blood option like the blood pack dlc are in it. I really dig gunpowder era stuff personally but the dogs and elephants in Rome made things really fun.

That's not to say I wouldn't totally be down with a civil war entry if it came first. An even more expansive FOTS system based on the bloodiest war in American history? Could be amazing.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They need to hire those Russians from the Warhammer mod because that thing is pretty good when it doesn't crash.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

That's not to say I wouldn't totally be down with a civil war entry if it came first. An even more expansive FOTS system based on the bloodiest war in American history? Could be amazing.

FOTS is pretty much the perfect mid Victorian era battle simulator for this.

Considering out of the blue they dusted off NTW and dropped some unit DLC for it it could happen if they need a little extra funding for the next project.

They'd need to reskin some stuff, throw in a few new models or reskins from NTW and hire some American voice actors and fluff up a detailed map of North America and you can go hog wild.

I do hope whatever the next one is they keep the direct control of artillery feature. That was kinda fun. Now we can snipe generals with burning pitch covered rocks!

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
God drat it, I can't seem to play any mods in RTW in steam! It keeps showing up as "steam not found!" I just reinstalled steam to a different folder and it still gives me the error! What can I do to stop them from happening! it's so loving annoying!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Supeerme posted:

God drat it, I can't seem to play any mods in RTW in steam! It keeps showing up as "steam not found!" I just reinstalled steam to a different folder and it still gives me the error! What can I do to stop them from happening! it's so loving annoying!
Some mods have instructions in their page specifically to make them work with Steam, try to look up the forums.

Failing that, crack the game.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Well it seems that steam doesn't like mods that much. i am trying to get RS2 going but can anyone tell me why is there so many folders named_play_rome and stuff?

I still get the error. this error was around before I added mods. WHy did they gently caress up so badly!? I got testapp and the exe that still is broken.

Supeerme fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 22, 2012

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Supeerme posted:

Well it seems that steam doesn't like mods that much. i am trying to get RS2 going but can anyone tell me why is there so many folders named_play_rome and stuff?

I still get the error. this error was around before I added mods. WHy did they gently caress up so badly!? I got testapp and the exe that still is broken.

Watch and obey!

And the multiple folders is because they have a separate campaign start for each faction i.e Rome has Hannibal with a big army in their faces but for everyone else he's still chillin' in Spain.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I don't think this has been posted yet...

The latest issue of Australian games mag PC PowerPlay has this on its back page:

They correctly teased Dead Souls PC in a similar fashion and they've had lots of Total War news in the past. And apparently there's supposed to be a Total War announcement at Rezzed on July 6...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The plot thickens. Time to dig out my HBO's Rome DVDs.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

Watch and obey!

And the multiple folders is because they have a separate campaign start for each faction i.e Rome has Hannibal with a big army in their faces but for everyone else he's still chillin' in Spain.

I fixed it myself. I all I had to do was to crack the exe. I am a bit confused by the sheer numbers of units and buildings though.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

The Kins posted:

The latest issue of Australian games mag PC PowerPlay has this on its back page:

They correctly teased Dead Souls PC in a similar fashion and they've had lots of Total War news in the past. And apparently there's supposed to be a Total War announcement at Rezzed on July 6...

Oh my goooood. :aaa:

Please don't screw this up TCA.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

In the eventuality that the July 6 announcement is indeed R2TW, do you guys predict that it would then release before or after Europa Barbarorum II?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Roll on series 3 of Time Commanders.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Imapanda posted:

Oh my goooood. :aaa:

Please don't screw this up TCA.

If it's on a new engine then odds are it will be both amazing and terrible at the same time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Plavski posted:

Roll on series 3 of Time Commanders.

Seriously. Roman, Napoleonic and with a little bit of modding to make the graphics look pretty 18th century history and hilariously badly done battles for the masses!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Kins posted:

If they're going with the three family poo poo again i'm not even bothering with this.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mans posted:

If they're going with the three family poo poo again i'm not even bothering with this.

...It's a screenshot from the original.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolodile posted:

...It's a screenshot from the original.

Oh...yes it is, i knew that :downs:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That's a screenshot from the original RTW though.

edit: drat

tables
Jul 7, 2011

tables

The Kins posted:

[timg][/timg]

Yes! poo poo is going to rock! CA can take their sweet time on it, I want this to be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The best thing about Rome 2 is that it'll give us at least two more Total War games' breathing space after it before people start clamouring for Rome 3.