Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

nomapple posted:

Gutted I missed Eula when they streamed it on that radio show.

I ripped the stream, so I could throw it up somewhere, but I don't know if that's :filez: or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I ripped the stream, so I could throw it up somewhere, but I don't know if that's :filez: or not.

I've been looking for it all around to no avail. I dunno about the :filez: thing, but I think it's worth sacrificing your account so I can listen.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

I've been looking for it all around to no avail. I dunno about the :filez: thing, but I think it's worth sacrificing your account so I can listen.

I suspect it would be frowned upon :( I will have to wait impatiently. I listened to all of the amazon samples last night, I can't loving wait!

On another topic: Which is the Earth album which is considered to be the pioneering drone one? I can't remember, but I really want to listen to it! I have Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull and it's fantastic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nomapple posted:

On another topic: Which is the Earth album which is considered to be the pioneering drone one?

Earth 2! It's a beast.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
God I love Earth 2.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Idioteque Dance posted:

God I love Earth 2.

If ever there was a post to empty quote, this would be it. Definitely in my top 3 albums of that sub-sub-genre.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13779-state-of-non-return/

Check out some new Om!

Hint

It loving rocks

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 21, 2012

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

The production owns. This song loving owns.

Like I wasn't the biggest fan of God is Good (its ok) and I thought that they maybe had done about all they could do with their sound, but here we loving are.

Illumination fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 21, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Oh my loving god, I was not prepared for all that bass.

My biggest pet peeve for Om was that for a band that is only supposed to be a bassist and a percussionist there really isn't a lot of "oomph." Welp, now they fixed that because holy poo poo that is amazing.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Al's live tone for their last album was unbelievable (I remember getting to the venue and feeling the notes from outside) but it didn't translate very well to the recording. I like the way he's combining the dub reggae thing he's been fond of lately with the overdriven sound from their first couple albums.

Judging by this video, Al is playing a 5 string Rickenbacker on the new stuff- a rare beast.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I saw that song from roadburn, but it's even better than I remembered.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

This rules.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Asnorban posted:

Excellent. Really hoping to get mine by this weekend.

My records/posters/shirt came in today. And also a catalog for packing/shipping supplies addressed to a totally different street. I blame the mailman's contact high

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Silver Brushes posted:

My records/posters/shirt came in today. And also a catalog for packing/shipping supplies addressed to a totally different street. I blame the mailman's contact high

I bet I got pushed because I placed my order with the new Earth record (since shipping was already so high.) I don't mind them being incredibly slow getting these out, I just don't like that I was charged a month and a half ago for stuff that still hasn't shipped.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crQDBVV0Cs0

My band live. Me on vox on the first verse.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
So, I need to slowly go through this thread and carve the names of new fave bands into my arm as I wade through all 48 pages.

But in the pages I blew through, didn't see any mention of Thrones

Loudest one man band ever. If a one man band can be fronted by a bear. Also Joe Preston is a nice dude. First time I ever saw Thrones he was opening for Unwound in like 2001, in a 1000 sq foot room playing on the floor and no one was closer than 20 ft to him, all mouths agape.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I saw Thrones at Supersonic Festival a few years ago, it was pretty incredible. A hundred people or so sat on the floor in a tiny room, one massive man with an equally huge bass stood at the front making this awesome noise that was shaking the plaster off the ceiling. However the only recording I have of his is Day Late, Dollar Short, which I found a bit underwhelming.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

I saw Thrones at Supersonic Festival a few years ago, it was pretty incredible. A hundred people or so sat on the floor in a tiny room, one massive man with an equally huge bass stood at the front making this awesome noise that was shaking the plaster off the ceiling. However the only recording I have of his is Day Late, Dollar Short, which I found a bit underwhelming.

Yeah, get the Sperm Whale CD (or Mp3s if that's your bag), it's on Kill Rock Stars. It's actually two vinyl EP's put together and the best recorded/most cohesive.

My only gripe (and I guess Joe's too) is that he writes new music at a glacial pace. However, he doesn't come by often so even if it's the same 5 songs I'll go. For some reason, no matter how loud I refuse to wear earplugs for Thrones. And yeah, I believe you on the plaster coming down bit.

So I'm actually thinking about starting a radio show at a friend's prompting, and the theme would be "doom country". Doom and country separately, or together... Earth, obviously, but also dark country/folk/Americana. Checking out Man's Gin cuz of this thread. Other recommendations?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I saw Thrones open for Big Business a few months back and it was louder than poo poo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Interstitial Abs posted:

So I'm actually thinking about starting a radio show at a friend's prompting, and the theme would be "doom country". Doom and country separately, or together... Earth, obviously, but also dark country/folk/Americana. Checking out Man's Gin cuz of this thread. Other recommendations?

Horseback, Pharaoh Overlord, maybe Barn Owl?

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Interstitial Abs posted:

Weedeater, The Heavy Eyes, Clutch?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Weedeater's mellow tunes would definitely do nicely - Alone or Whiskey Creek.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Steve Von Till of Neurosis fame has some cool solo stuff in that vein.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
US Christmas fits right in there somewhere, too.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

Interstitial Abs posted:

16 Horsepower and Woven Hand.

Tree Limbz
Dec 8, 2004

I am not a fucking hippie, god damnit.
Across tundras might fit

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Getting a bit off centre with this one but a few tracks by Murder By Death might fit what you need? I'm thinking songs like White Noise or Dynamite Mine

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new Om is unreal. Potential AOTY.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6pEutFdZ6Q

My band live in studio. Me on vox.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
BARONESS- EULA REAL STREAM NOW.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

(Edited with a direct link to the stream instead of Metalsucks' report on it)

nomapple fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 25, 2012

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

nomapple posted:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I kinda want to check this out, but on the other hand I also want to wait until I get the record, since I preordered it some time ago and since I've not checked out the other previews either. Then again, they'll probably play some new stuff when I'll be seeing them this Sunday. Stoked!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I hope Boris have a reason to tour this year. I only just got into them and I really want to see them. Three albums last year is a lot, would be neat if they did one this year but I would live without one; I just want a tour.

Is there a Boris thread on SA?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

WASDF posted:

I hope Boris have a reason to tour this year. I only just got into them and I really want to see them. Three albums last year is a lot, would be neat if they did one this year but I would live without one; I just want a tour.

Is there a Boris thread on SA?

There will be one when you don't expect it and it will still disappoint you. You will then see them live and they will only play one song from Pink, one from (old) Heavy Rocks, and only the shorter faster songs from anything post-Pink.

Last time they came through was the first time I skipped them since 2006, as I had read a few setlists and it looked pretty "meh". Just want them to play Feedbacker like they did when I saw them with Sunn.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'd be happy with any songs from anything that isn't really Solomon, Dronevil, Absolutego. I like those albums, but I just can't find myself distinguishing them live. Feedbacker and Flood I can tell apart, those would be rad.

So basically anything AW, Akuma, Heavy Rocks, Pink or Smile.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

quote:

Riot Sugar
Korosu
Statement
Attention Please
Party Boy
Flare
Spoon
Missing Pieces
Window Shopping
Pink
Aileron
Looprider
Encore:
Rainbow

oh... that's a rather lame setlist.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I'd be cool with that setlist but I dig their pop albums. I mean, I'd prefer to see them play all of Amplifier Worship or something like that but I could enjoy myself at that show.

nomapple posted:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Oh what a shocker, this song is great, too. All the songs they've revealed so far have been from Yellow, right? I'm really curious to hear what Green sounds like, especially with the "pastoral art rock" descriptor on that spin.com link. 3 weeks to go.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Velocirocktor posted:

Oh what a shocker, this song is great, too. All the songs they've revealed so far have been from Yellow, right? I'm really curious to hear what Green sounds like, especially with the "pastoral art rock" descriptor on that spin.com link. 3 weeks to go.

Yeah Eula is off the end of Yellow I believe. Apparently Yellow sort of bleeds in to Green at the end, so it probably has a taste of what's to come. I heard Green described as "melancholic post-rock", I can't loving wait, either way.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the doom-country recs. I am on VaCAy right now but will be checking it all out when I get back. I will also post any gems I find in that vein, and a link to the show if/when it happens.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Oh look more activity in the sludge thread over the past 12 hours than the last week, eh probably just another bitchin' Baroness song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really like Eula, but that song sounds like Baroness doing their best Muse impression. The guitar solo towards the end is straight out of Muse's song Fury and vocals aside, it sounds like you could find this on Origin of Symmetry.