Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Apparently I enjoy near geeky near-future technothrillers with organised crime, money laundering and Internets. Preferably with a dash of self-awareness. I've read Neal Stephenson and Charles Stross and was wondering if there was anything similar.

I guess it doesn't have to be near future. Just geeky capers in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Paxicon posted:

I'd like some sci-fi involving human mutations, telekinetics, telepathics etc. Also interested in dystopias in which they operate. Something reminiscent of Babylon 5's Psi-Corp would be great, if it's out there!

Babylon 5 you say? This may be stating the obvious but "The Demolished Man" by Alfred Bester (the name may ring a bell).

Paxicon
Dec 22, 2007
Sycophant, unless you don't want me to be

Gravy Jones posted:

Alfred Bester

Knew he was an author, but never knew he wrote something like that. Thank you!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Gravy Jones posted:

Apparently I enjoy near geeky near-future technothrillers with organised crime, money laundering and Internets. Preferably with a dash of self-awareness. I've read Neal Stephenson and Charles Stross and was wondering if there was anything similar.

I guess it doesn't have to be near future. Just geeky capers in general.

Check out William Gibson's last trilogy: Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, and Zero History. They're pretty much exactly what you describe.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I'm looking for some real loving bummers. Books that will shatter my hope for the future and leave me a ruined husk of a human being, like The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I have no hope for the future and am terminally depressed so it's not like I have to worry about picking up the pieces of my life after I read the last page. Onward!

I haven't actually read The Road yet (I've heard Things), but it's next on the list after I finish my current book. Got any suggestions?

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 23, 2012

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Revolutionary Road, by Richard Yates. It's depressing on a more personal level but had me just as bummed out as when I read The Road, if not more.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro isn't as dark as either The Road or Revolutionary Road, but I think it certainly has elements of what you're looking for. It's tone is light, bitingly satirical, and even funny sometimes but the reality of the protagonist's life is as unsettling as the situation the characters in Revolutionary Road find themselves in.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Bummey posted:

I'm looking for some real loving bummers. Books that will shatter my hope for the future and leave me a ruined husk of a human being, like The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I have no hope for the future and am terminally depressed so it's not like I have to worry about picking up the pieces of my life after I read the last page. Onward!

I haven't actually read The Road yet (I've heard Things), but it's next on the list after I finish my current book. Got any suggestions?

Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure was written for you. It is 10x as depressing as The Road. I love The Road, but in terms of depressing fiction, there's far too much love and hope underneath all of it. It's all about hope in the face of vast amounts of depressing circumstances.

Jude the Obscure is not even tragic, and there's no hope. It's too lame and absurd, without dignity or grandeur, as in a tragedy proper. If you want your life to seem small and tiny and meaningless, Jude the Obscure is for you.

Have fun!!!!!*

* (Have something light planned for after. No, seriously. Like a comedy where everybody's happy at the end.)

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

elbow posted:

Revolutionary Road, by Richard Yates. It's depressing on a more personal level but had me just as bummed out as when I read The Road, if not more.

I second this. Very depressing. Also, Stewart O'Nan's A Prayer for the Dying. It's about a plague that hits a small town in the US just after the Civil War. Very beautifully written but so bleak.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Poutling posted:

I second this. Very depressing. Also, Stewart O'Nan's A Prayer for the Dying. It's about a plague that hits a small town in the US just after the Civil War. Very beautifully written but so bleak.

I love O'nan, but didn't care for the first-person in APFTD. However, he has written other excellent/depressing books, most notably (for me) Songs for the Missing. Can't say I loved it, but Paul Auster's Man in the Dark is also pretty drat pretty grim. For some sad war stories, Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front and Marlantes' Matterhorn are great, and goon favorite Blindsight, by Peter Watts, scratches both the depressing and hard science fiction itches (and would also work nicely for the person who requested a "bad vacation" book!)

EDIT- This is the Way the World Ends by James Morrow is a serious loving downer, couldn't think of it earlier

VVV Been a while since I've read it, just remember the perspective bothering me VVV

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 24, 2012

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

funkybottoms posted:

I love O'nan, but didn't care for the first-person in APFTD. However, he has written other excellent/depressing books, most notably (for me) Songs for the Missing. Can't say I loved it, but Paul Auster's Man in the Dark is also pretty drat pretty grim. For some sad war stories, Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front and Marlantes' Matterhorn are great, and goon favorite Blindsight, by Peter Watts, scratches both the depressing and hard science fiction itches (and would also work nicely for the person who requested a "bad vacation" book!)

Prayer for the Dying was in 2nd person perspective, not first person, but yes I can see how it would be jarring. I didn't like it in Bright Lights Big City but I actually didn't mind it in O'Nan's book.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 22, 2016

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Bummey posted:

COnrad's The Secret Agent is a funny bummer, a sort of comedy of errors centered around a secret agent working in London.

Jerzy Kosinski's The Painted Bird is an epic beatdown about a little boy wandering around war-torn Eastern Europe.

ErrantSystems
Jul 5, 2009
I have three requests,

First I'm looking for a pretty standard fantasy book/series written in first person. Prefer longer books and prefer that there are only 1-2 main characters/POVs. In terms of specifics for this book I'm looking for one where the protagonist has a particularly interesting personality. Not really sure what else to specify, I really don't have a preference otherwise, anything is good.

Second I'm looking for a book where the main characters are slightly insane. What I mean by this is not that they hallucinate or anything but just that they do things or have motivations that no reasonable person would do/have. This request is pretty vague so I'm not expecting all that much.

Finally, a book where there is a non-human intelligence involved and tension is created due to the fact that it's nearly impossible to predict their actions/motivations. Examples of this off the top of my head would be David from Prometheus or the aliens from Blindsight (specifically in the beginning when they first communicated).

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

ErrantSystems posted:

First I'm looking for a pretty standard fantasy book/series written in first person. Prefer longer books and prefer that there are only 1-2 main characters/POVs. In terms of specifics for this book I'm looking for one where the protagonist has a particularly interesting personality. Not really sure what else to specify, I really don't have a preference otherwise, anything is good.
I think you'd like The Dresden Files for this, as it's pretty standard (urban) fantasy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bummey posted:

Main Street (Sinclair Lewis; probably depends on how much your hometown resembles Gopher Prairie, though)
The Age of Innocence and The House of Mirth (Edith Wharton)
Flowers for Algernon (Daniel Keyes)
Brideshead Revisited (Evelyn Waugh; saying it's a total downer is stretching it a bit actually)

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Bummey posted:

On The Beach by Nevil Shute is a novel about about a post-nuclear apocalypse. It's really depressing, but in a more emotional, personal way than The Road (which was also great).

edit: I was literally crying while reading On The Beach.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 24, 2012

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Wonderful! Thanks for all the suggestions. I grabbed a preview copy of every one that was available on Kindle (that would be a big amazon bill otherwise) but I'm going to have to hunt down a few paperbacks.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Main Street (Sinclair Lewis; probably depends on how much your hometown resembles Gopher Prairie, though)

I'm from a small Minnesota town. That seems about right.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 24, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ErrantSystems posted:

Finally, a book where there is a non-human intelligence involved and tension is created due to the fact that it's nearly impossible to predict their actions/motivations. Examples of this off the top of my head would be David from Prometheus or the aliens from Blindsight (specifically in the beginning when they first communicated).

Ian McDonald's River of Gods is a novel that matches your request. I don't want to spoil anything for you so I'll just say it's one of my favorite books of all time.

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for an as-close-to-the-truth-as-possible- history of the CIA.
If there are any good biographies of CIA agents you can think of, that would be great too!

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Where should I start with E.O. Wilson?

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006
E.O. Wilson the biologist? I have only read (some of) his insect stuff and only one of those I would recommend for a general reader is the Journey to the ants: http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Ants-Story-Scientific-Exploration/dp/0674485262 Really fascinating stuff about bizarre alien-like societies that can be found even from our backyards. No idea, though, how good his general biology / science books are...

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

ErrantSystems posted:

Second I'm looking for a book where the main characters are slightly insane. What I mean by this is not that they hallucinate or anything but just that they do things or have motivations that no reasonable person would do/have. This request is pretty vague so I'm not expecting all that much.

Obvious recommendation: American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.
I also really enjoyed The Watcher by Charles MacLean, which is sort of a psychological thriller I guess? Your criterion is pretty broad, basically almost any book with an unreliable narrator would fit it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

ErrantSystems posted:

This is very common in Post Modern fiction as motivation is a fictional construct that must be overcome. Try any Don DeLillo.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is Wolf Hall any good, as a fan of historical fiction?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Short answer: yes.

I finished it tonight and overall I really enjoyed it. The writing is excellent (though the author has a weird quirk with the pronoun "he" - any time it's not attributed to anyone, you have to assume she's talking about Cromwell) and it's a fresh look at the Henry the VIII/Anne Boleyn story that isn't a bodice ripper. It's a little tough to keep the names and titles straight, though.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Okay, I need some new recommendations for work. My job entails sitting around until a customer pulls up, I give them a brief speech, then I go back to reading. The problem is that thee interruptions make reading deep books hard, as I lose my place and get distracted. Anyone have recommendations for some good, light, adventure-y stories? Something maybe with some big drat heroes who slay the villain. Just something to kill time on work days where I don't have to think too terribly hard. Fantasy or sci-fi would be a plus, but I'll read anything. I don't want to have to re-read John Dies at the End again :( (mostly because I already did yesterday)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doomsayer posted:

Okay, I need some new recommendations for work. My job entails sitting around until a customer pulls up, I give them a brief speech, then I go back to reading. The problem is that thee interruptions make reading deep books hard, as I lose my place and get distracted. Anyone have recommendations for some good, light, adventure-y stories? Something maybe with some big drat heroes who slay the villain. Just something to kill time on work days where I don't have to think too terribly hard. Fantasy or sci-fi would be a plus, but I'll read anything. I don't want to have to re-read John Dies at the End again :( (mostly because I already did yesterday)

If you haven't read Dresden Files, read Dresden Files.

If you have read Dresden Files, try maybe Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, Robert Asprin's Myth series (first five or six books only), maybe some Terry Pratchett. Hell, go back to the source and read Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories.

Gil's All-Fright Diner
Johannes Cabal the Necromancer

Jim Hine's Goblin Quest books
The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Bridge of Birds

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you haven't read Dresden Files, read Dresden Files.

If you have read Dresden Files, try maybe Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, Robert Asprin's Myth series (first five or six books only), maybe some Terry Pratchett. Hell, go back to the source and read Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories.

Gil's All-Fright Diner
Johannes Cabal the Necromancer

Jim Hine's Goblin Quest books
The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Bridge of Birds

Thanks! I already have the Dresden Files which I'm working my way through (though you did remind me to start the next book), and I've read every Discworld book I think at least three times now, haha! I will definitely check out the others though!

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I read Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. What book of his should I read next?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'll second Johannes Cabal the Necromancer. Loved it!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Day Man posted:

I'll second Johannes Cabal the Necromancer. Loved it!

I'll third that one, I adored that book. Still need to pick up the sequels. I'll second the Robert E. Howard recommendation as well. All his short stories of all his characters are good, but I think Conan is his best creation. The Bloody Crown of Conan is my favorite collection, but that's mainly because it's the one set in the Middle East and India and I love stuff set there, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm looking for some horror that is NOT: comedy, zombies, sci-fi, King, Lovecraft, Straub, or Barker (nothing against them, I've just read most of their stuff already).

I know that still leaves a pretty broad category but I'd like to hear some favorites, especially recent ones. It's just hard to sift through all the trash in this genre to find something interesting.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm looking for some horror that is NOT: comedy, zombies, sci-fi, King, Lovecraft, Straub, or Barker (nothing against them, I've just read most of their stuff already).

I know that still leaves a pretty broad category but I'd like to hear some favorites, especially recent ones. It's just hard to sift through all the trash in this genre to find something interesting.

Have you read any Matheson? If not, he's a classic you should definitely check out. He's best known for the twice-adapted I Am Legend, but he wrote many other excellent works.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

PeterWeller posted:

Have you read any Matheson? If not, he's a classic you should definitely check out. He's best known for the twice-adapted I Am Legend, but he wrote many other excellent works.

I read a collection by Matheson which included I Am Legend and a few other stories. Good call though, I'll see what else I can find by him.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

StarkRavingMad posted:

You might of read it already but the Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is a classic.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nate fisher posted:

You might of read it already but the Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is a classic.

Also a good one, but I have read it. I guess maybe I should have asked for more recent works since I've probably read well-known older stuff in this genre. But thanks for the suggestions.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also a good one, but I have read it. I guess maybe I should have asked for more recent works since I've probably read well-known older stuff in this genre. But thanks for the suggestions.

You did request recent stuff, so it's really our fault for recommending classics.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

StarkRavingMad posted:

It sounds like you have ran into the same problem I have with horror. Since it was one of my first loves as a reader I have read most of the classics or must reads. Now almost anything I read is a derivative of something I read before. Also tons of garbage out there. I just reread the Books of Blood because of a lack of new horror worth reading.

Just curious have you gave Joe Hill a spin? I really enjoyed Horns and Heart Shaped Box. I don't find his stuff that scary, but I like his story telling. Another book I liked was the Birthing House by Christopher Ransom. It was different enough to keep my interest and be creepy sometimes.

Heck give me some suggestions. I would love something creepy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Try Laird Barron, Simon Strantzas, Thomas Ligotti, Joe Pulver, and Caitlin Kiernan. Or pick up one of Ellen Datlow's Best Horror of the Year and/or Stephen Jones's Mammoth Book of Best New Horror anthologies.