Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

Morbid Florist posted:

From what I remember he was always an Axl type. He wasn't even a personal fan of the music they made, it was just a job for him.

But man I did love Empire back in the day...

I saw Queensryche a couple of year ago, and it was ridiculously uncomfortable. There was absolutely no chemistry between the band members at all. They did not interact at all, they didn't really even move around that much. Was horrible, even though technically the sounded awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dead Letters from the new Katatonia album is on Youtube (legally).

It's less doomy and slow than their older stuff, but I think it's great. It's more progressive metal which is nice!

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

Trees and Squids posted:

I can't really provide anything similar to Blackjazz, but I just want to echo that it is loving awesome. I found it thanks to Ihsahn's After (On The Shores struck me in particular), Jørgen Munkeby is an awesome saxophonist, Shining and his work with Ihsahn is absolutely nuts.

As for completely bananas music, I can't really say I like them, but there's always Unexpect.

Good call on Ihsahn, I hadn't heard anything after angL. Not as out there as Blackjazz but it's real good so I'm not complaining. I know Unexpect, I do not care for Unexpect.

Stoat posted:

It's less doomy and slow than their older stuff, but I think it's great. It's more progressive metal which is nice!

This is really good too. Description says it's one of the heavier and proggier songs on the album so it sounds like this will be a heck of a follow up to Night is the New Day, which was also really good.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

RationalTangle posted:

Just got back from a show at a small venue in my hometown, and a couple acts played that I thought were worthy of the thread:

First up is "Dethlehem", who call themselves an "RPG Nerd Metal" band. Oh yeah, it's corny as hell. But they were fun to watch on stage - doing things like handing out inflatable swords for a "LARP Pit" and telling really bad Dungeons and Dragons jokes - and were pretty cool guys to chill with when they weren't performing. If you like dorky fantasy metal they're worth a listen at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3C0LL2fBQc

Even better was "Of Conscience", a group comprised of some friends of mine from high school. They've got kind of a prog/death thing going on, and I'd say they're worth checking out if you're into, say, early Opeth. All around swell guys who play some pretty swell tunes. They were proud to have CDs of their first demo available at the show for free!

http://www.facebook.com/OfConscience/app_178091127385

The bass player really impressed me in this video. I'm going to have to check out this Dethlehem band. Somehow their lyrics are less cheesy than DragonForce.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Stoat posted:

Wow, lyrics are the same as usual but the music is actually...a little uplifting? Crazy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Drifter287 posted:

Geoff Tate is out of Queensryche. http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=175707

Pretty wild. They were one of my favorite bands when I younger and I still love them, but apparently Tate went a little Axl Rose in recent years. Too bad, but La Torre has a phenomenal voice and I'm excited to hear what these guys do going forward.
Their guitarist is married to Tate's stepdaughter. That's got to be an awkward Christmas.

Stoat posted:

This is excellent, but that guitarwork is inviting way too many comparisons to Lateralus-era Tool.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 21, 2012

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Misogynist posted:

Their guitarist is married to Tate's stepdaughter. That's got to be an awkward Christmas.

Was married. They got divorced a few months back, I believe.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Moonsorrow, Korpiklaani, Tyr, and another band are going on a North American tour. No tour dates yet, but oh my god this will be amazing.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Moonsorrow, Korpiklaani, Tyr, and another band are going on a North American tour. No tour dates yet, but oh my god this will be amazing.
The other band is Metsatoll, and there are tour dates:

quote:

Aug 28 Quebec City, QC @ Imperial Theatre
Aug 29 Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
Aug 30 Toronto, ON @ Opera House
Aug 31 Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
Sep 1 Joliet, IL @ Mojoe's
Sep 2 St Paul, MN @ Station-4
Sep 3 Lawrence, KS @ Granada Theater
Sep 4 Denver, CO @ Marquis Theater
Sep 5 Billings, MT @ Manny's
Sep 6 Salt Lake City, UT @ TBA
Sep 8 Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
Sep 9 Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theater
Sep 10 Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
Sep 11 San Francisco, CA @ DNA Lounge
Sep 12 Hollywood, CA @ The Whisky
Sep 13 Santa Ana, CA @ The Observatory
Sep 14 Ramona, CA @ Ramona Mainstage
Sep 15 Tempe, AZ @ Rocky Point
Sep 18 Detroit, MI @ Harpo's
Sep 19 Buffalo, NY @ Club Infinity
Sep 20 Reading, PA @ Reverb
Sep 21 Springfield, VA @ Empire
Sep 22 New York, NY @ Gramercy Theater
Sep 23 Worcester, MA @ Palladium

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Not sure which thread I should post this in, because Cloudkicker encompasses many genres, but it's broadly speaking, metal, so: There's a new album due this autumn and it sounds like it's going to be incredible. Get excited.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Semprini posted:

The other band is Metsatoll, and there are tour dates:

I saw Moonsorrow, Turisas, Tyr and Ensiferum at the Opera House in Toronto awhile back for Paganfest, it was pretty fun. Moonsorrow for me is not really as effective live, and by the time Ensiferum hit the stage I had a blistering headache. Tyr was really, really good though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Trees and Squids posted:

I saw Moonsorrow, Turisas, Tyr and Ensiferum at the Opera House in Toronto awhile back for Paganfest, it was pretty fun. Moonsorrow for me is not really as effective live, and by the time Ensiferum hit the stage I had a blistering headache. Tyr was really, really good though.

Tyr is always really, really good. I might make a drive up to VA to catch that show.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Definitely going to hit the Toronto show if the ticket prices aren't too steep. I've loved every one of those bands live, all of them together on one bill is going to be fun as hell.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Got time off work to go to the summer slaughter tour. It's not a particularly awesome lineup but nothing ever comes to Knoxville.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
No dates in the south for that Tyr, Moonsorrow, Korpiklaani tour...ugh. Would be nice to see all three of those bands live again.

:rock: 2 days until Maiden :rock:

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
So I finally got to see Inquisition (twice) a couple weeks back at Evil Invaders IV in Sydney. Hands down one of the best bands I've ever seen live. Played a lot of stuff from their newest album, but considering everything they've ever recorded is quality that's certainly not a bad thing. The slow, meandering Desolate Funeral Chant was pure loving bliss!

Other highlights of the weekend: Innsmouth, Vomitor, Assaulter, Hobbs Angel of Death, Hellbringer, Convent Guilt, Heresiarch.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Why people (still) care about Korpiklaani is really beyond me. And Inquisition are indeed a great live band.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Crappers posted:

So I finally got to see Inquisition (twice) a couple weeks back at Evil Invaders IV in Sydney. Hands down one of the best bands I've ever seen live. Played a lot of stuff from their newest album, but considering everything they've ever recorded is quality that's certainly not a bad thing. The slow, meandering Desolate Funeral Chant was pure loving bliss!

Other highlights of the weekend: Innsmouth, Vomitor, Assaulter, Hobbs Angel of Death, Hellbringer, Convent Guilt, Heresiarch.

I love Inquisition and I still haven't been able to see them live yet, when they stopped in London I had other commitments. Hopefully now that they're on SoM they'll tour more regularly and I can fix this problem! Also, I think Ominous Doctrines... might be my favourite Inquisiton album anyway, so this is fine by me. I love how hypnotic their music is. And I gather from what people have said, that no ferocity is lost live, and the 2 of them pull it all off?

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Absolutely, that's probably what blew me away so much. That just two dudes can create a sound like that. When I first heard that distinct Inquisition guitar tone I knew I was in for a ride (and the drumming is a sight to behold). If you ever get the chance to see them don't miss it for anything.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

RationalTangle posted:

"RPG Nerd Metal" band

I hate everything about this and especially their piss poor attempt at Python-esque humour. Also, it reminded me of Jaldaboath, which is another reason to hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br3OgQVfhfM

Ugh.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Anyone going to the Death to All tour in Orlando, FL? My older brother and I are thinking about going, should be a great show for $30.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

BjornOfBorg posted:

I hate everything about this and especially their piss poor attempt at Python-esque humour. Also, it reminded me of Jaldaboath, which is another reason to hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br3OgQVfhfM

Ugh.

Speaking of geeky cheesemetal
:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWuj9voUqLE

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Metal thread, it's time for the semi-annual request for Amon Amarth recommendations. If I love the poo poo out of Twilight of the Thunder God and With Oden on Our Side, and the only other AA album I own is Surtur Rising (which was decent), where do I go next?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Literally the only good thing I can say about Powerglove is that at least they're self-aware that they're a bad joke.

Drifter287 posted:

Metal thread, it's time for the semi-annual request for Amon Amarth recommendations. If I love the poo poo out of Twilight of the Thunder God and With Oden on Our Side, and the only other AA album I own is Surtur Rising (which was decent), where do I go next?

Versus the World, now.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Drifter287 posted:

Geoff Tate is out of Queensryche.

Good. When I saw them a few years ago, they didn't play anything off of Mindcrime, and only played one thing off Empire :colbert:

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm going to the first date of the Maiden England US tour this Friday and I am a giddy as a little school girl. This will be my first live Iron Maiden experience. Once that has been looooooog overdue.

Edit: Errr, I mean Thursday. It's gonna be a long enough week as is.

How was the show? The setlist looks pretty amazing:

(Spoilered because Iron Maiden tends to play the same set every night, and the last time I posted a spoilered setlist everyone yelled at me so be nice :( )

Doctor Doctor
(UFO song)
Moonchild
Can I Play With Madness
The Prisoner
(First time played live since September 21, 1991)
2 Minutes to Midnight
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
(First time played live since December 12, 1998)
The Trooper
The Number of the Beast
Phantom of the Opera
Run to the Hills
Wasted Years
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
(First time played live since December 12, 1988)
The Clairvoyant
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
Encore:
Churchill's Speech
Aces High
The Evil That Men Do
Running Free
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
(Monty Python song)

Also, how is Alice Cooper these days? Does he still do the ridiculous over-the-top stage show that he used to do, or did that end in the 80s?

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 22, 2012

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
How does Iron Maiden skip Hallowed be thy name? -fine, I'll spoiler too.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Dyscrasia posted:

How does Iron Maiden skip Hallowed be thy name?

You clearly haven't seen them on the tours that immediately follow a new album in the past ten years.

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 22, 2012

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Yeah, Versus the World. Though given how much you love Twilight of The Thunder God and With Oden On Our Side you'll probably like Fate of Norns as well.

Anyone who cares about power metal might be interested to know that Kamelot has officially named Tommy Karevik of Seventh Wonder as their new vocalist. I think he was one of the guys who filled in for Khan at festivals. I think it'll be a good fit, Fabio Lione was a great choice for the tours and I figure they know what they're doing.

edit:

SgtScruffy posted:

Also, how is Alice Cooper these days? Does he still do the ridiculous over-the-top stage show that he used to do, or did that end in the 80s?

loving incredible. I've seen him four times in the last 6 years or so and it's always one of the best shows I see in any given year. The stage shows are still ridiculous, full of magic tricks and skits and stuff, and the dude sounds great. He's got to be one of the greatest showmen in the history of rock music.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 22, 2012

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Dyscrasia posted:

How does Iron Maiden skip Hallowed be thy name? -fine, I'll spoiler too.

I know, what the crap; when I saw them for the Final Frontier (pre-album) tour, they played it during the encore.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Drifter287 posted:

I think Fate of Norns is their only poo poo album. There's no reason not to have the rest of their stuff.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Drifter287 posted:

You would probably like them all, because they all sound pretty much the same. Which is not a bad thing at all, i love a band who keeps doing what it does great. I guess The Avenger and Once Sent From The Golden Hall are a bit rougher compared to their last few albums.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

SgtScruffy posted:

Good. When I saw them a few years ago, they didn't play anything off of Mindcrime, and only played one thing off Empire :colbert:

How was the show? The setlist looks pretty amazing:

(Spoilered because Iron Maiden tends to play the same set every night, and the last time I posted a spoilered setlist everyone yelled at me so be nice :( )

Doctor Doctor
(UFO song)
Moonchild
Can I Play With Madness
The Prisoner
(First time played live since September 21, 1991)
2 Minutes to Midnight
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
(First time played live since December 12, 1998)
The Trooper
The Number of the Beast
Phantom of the Opera
Run to the Hills
Wasted Years
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
(First time played live since December 12, 1988)
The Clairvoyant
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
Encore:
Churchill's Speech
Aces High
The Evil That Men Do
Running Free
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
(Monty Python song)

Ugh, now I'm even more upset that I can't make it :qq:

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

SgtScruffy posted:

You clearly haven't seen them on the tours that immediately follow a new album in the past ten years.

Never seen them period, but I will see them at Summerfest, can't wait. Besides that one missing song, the set list looks amazing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

You would probably like them all, because they all sound pretty much the same. Which is not a bad thing at all, i love a band who keeps doing what it does great. I guess The Avenger and Once Sent From The Golden Hall are a bit rougher compared to their last few albums.

Yeah usually when I find myself in this situation with any band I'll listen to the samples on Amazon/iTunes/Play from different albums and get whatever grabs me. Doesn't work with Amon Amarth because it all sounds similarly kick rear end.

Versus the World seems like a popular suggestion though, so maybe I'll grab that next.

Edit: Yeah, this was a good decision. Thanks for the recommendations!

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 22, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BjornOfBorg posted:

Why people (still) care about Korpiklaani is really beyond me.
Same here, I do like me some cheesy fun beer-drinking folk metal, but Korpiklaani are just boring to me.

Velocirocktor posted:

Anyone who cares about power metal might be interested to know that Kamelot has officially named Tommy Karevik of Seventh Wonder as their new vocalist.
This is good news, I like his style. He sounds really smooth and should be a great fit for Kamelot, certainly miles and miles better than Fabio Lione who I hate with a passion.
I just hope they get their songwriting chops back as well, their stuff after The Black Halo hasn't really done much for me.

EDIT: Yeah, Amon Amarth are pretty drat consistent and you won't really go wrong with any of their albums (Fate of Norns is debatable). Versus the World was the album that got me into them, especially Death in Fire which is one of the most badass songs in the history of time.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 22, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nordick posted:

Versus the World was the album that got me into them, especially Death in Fire which is one of the most badass songs in the history of time.

If you don't get loving pumped listening to Thousand Years of Oppression you're not doing metal right.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

While we're on the topic of Amon Amarth, I just need to mention that Embrace of the Endless Ocean loving owns bones.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Morbid Florist posted:

I think Fate of Norns is their only poo poo album. There's no reason not to have the rest of their stuff.
Arson is a pretty bitchin' song to grab for $1 off iTunes, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

IRQ posted:

If you don't get loving pumped listening to Thousand Years of Oppression you're not doing metal right.
Hey, I don't see how Death in Fire being my favourite track off the album would somehow stop me from loving the rest to bits as well.

Drifter287 posted:

While we're on the topic of Amon Amarth, I just need to mention that Embrace of the Endless Ocean loving owns bones.
Yes, it does. It's simultaneously loving badass (because it's Amon Amarth) and loving beautiful and tragic. The last lines of lyrics just make me well up like a bitch.